Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
I got the impression that all the bug boys, including the Hornet and Cicada, were pretty common.

Edit: you could probably just look for any mech description that has a ubiquitous design quirk.

welcome 2 Clown Town fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Owlbear Camus posted:

Yeah there's probably dudes in universe who prompts a screeching fit in Mechfectionados by calling any mech with gun arms and no lower/hand actuators a Rifleman or a Blackjack, any light-medium chicken walker a Locust, etc.

There's a short story in one of the newer rulebooks in which locals use a tattered TRO to misidentify the Urbie that has been raiding them as an Imp.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

The next two models I've finished up in Wasp colors.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

General Battuta posted:

Do you think that there are certain mechs which all mechs are identified as in popular media? The way all jets are 'Migs' and all armored vehicles are 'BMPs' and all tanks are 'T-72' (there are probably better examples of this sorry)

Any mech with a face is an Atlas

Any mech that is small and slow is an Urbie

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

SirPhoebos posted:

Any mech that is small and slow is an Urbie

Except for the actual UrbanMech, which they confuse for a water tower.

All small, humanoid 'mechs are Wasps and all Clan 'mechs are Mad Cats, except for the actual Mad Cat which is still a Mad Cat but they call it an assault 'Mech.

Edit: The local news generally has a half-decent idea what the local garrison has, but all invaders are either a motly collection of light 'Mechs or a horde of assault 'Mechs with no in-between depending on whether they want the invaders to look pathetic or the local defenders to seem brave.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 2, 2023

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
So I'm looking to start integrating infantry and vehicles and such into my game and I am having some serious trouble navigating Total Warfare, is there a good resource/tutorial for non-Mech units? I'm especially flummoxed by the chapter on Aerospace because dogfights sound pretty fun but good grief I can't parse that.

I would kill for a series of books formatted like the Battlemech Manual that covered infantry, vehicles, aerospace, etc. Here's hoping the kickstarter has something like that.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The Kickstarter box will have some kind of simplified rules for integrating vehicles into the game.

I played Classic with vehicles for the first time a while back and found them really easy to use. The record sheets at least Mech Factory prints out are extremely helpful, you don’t need to remember any of the hit location, motive hit, critical hit stuff, which really is most of what makes the vehicles play differently. Check out which terrain tracker/wheeled/hover vehicles can go in and you’ll be pretty much set.

It’s all even easier in Alpha Strike, of course.

Haven’t played with infantry or VTOLs yet, planning to give all that a go in the near future, at least in Alpha Strike!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You can get the beta version of those rules if you signup to be notified about the Kickstarter launch.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Defiance Industries posted:

Pretty sure it goes Wasp, then Stinger, then Locust. The two most common mediums seem to be the Phoenix Hawk and the Griffin. Archers and Stalkers are the most common Heavy and Assault (we actually have definitive statements there).

Much respect for the egg pod.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Stalker's a piggy, has been since the first time I turned its MM sprite pink.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It was one of the first metal Battletech minis I ever bought. I love that goofy guy. It's a hefty boy too. I could probably break a window with it.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Except for the actual UrbanMech, which they confuse for a water tower.

Now I can't unsee Wakko, Yakko and Dot popping out of the cockpit of an UrbanMech.

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 3, 2023

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

SirFozzie posted:

Now I can't unsee Wakko, Yakko and Dot popping out of the cockpit of an UrbanMech.

the map song but it's every planet rendered uninhabitable for 400 generations during the Age of War

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Instead of singing about Lake Titicaca because they like saying the name, they sing about Butte Holde.

"I'm Yakkko!" "I'm Wakko" "And I'm an AC/10..er... cute!"

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Atlas Hugged posted:

It was one of the first metal Battletech minis I ever bought. I love that goofy guy. It's a hefty boy too. I could probably break a window with it.

I vaguely remember the first Stalker miniature back in the day being outrageously over the top dick shaped, like more so than the TRO art would indicate

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Take that poor thing outside before it makes a mess on the carpet! :mad:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I painted mine to look like the Death Star

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Snuck a BattleTech game in at LVO during our 30k Zone Mortalis friendly.

Did Star vs Star. I had a Black Lanner D, Night Gyr F, Summoner Prime, Ice Ferret D, and Huntsman T. My opponent had a Stormcrow Prime, Ice Ferret Prime, Adder Prime, Warhawk Prime, and Hellbringer Prime. We ran with typical Clan pilots and gave each of our mechs 1 Edge reroll to work around extra-bad luck.

We had a really fun and balanced game. I pulled out a victory in the end, losing only my Huntsman (which somehow managed to die due to old-fashioned coring rather than any of the 6,000,000 explodeable crits it had getting hit) while everything else was pretty savaged. I had managed to hard-kill the Adder, Warhawk, and Stormcrow while the Hellby was about to die from overheating and the Ferret had been legged when we called it.

It only took 3.5 hours, which I'd rate OK for two players who were a bit rusty.

they build them bigger in the Ghost Bear OZ

the beautiful game

final graveyard/legged or knocked down shot

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Assuming I don't necessarily need the 'mech minis, and I can 3d print table after table of mech scale buildings and sundry, what else would I pick the Alpha Strike boxed set over the "commander's edition" rulebook for?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Assuming I don't necessarily need the 'mech minis, and I can 3d print table after table of mech scale buildings and sundry, what else would I pick the Alpha Strike boxed set over the "commander's edition" rulebook for?

If you don't need anything in the Alpha Strike box you should probably not buy the Alpha Strike box.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

If you don't need anything in the Alpha Strike box you should probably not buy the Alpha Strike box.

I guess I'm used to FFG games where there's a hundred different little proprietary tokens, dice, measuring tools, etc. you no-poo poo need to play, and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything like that looking at the box contents.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Painted a Crusader for my pirates. I don't like this mech one bit, so naturally I used him as a test bed to vary my scheme a bit. Not pictured: all the copper heat sinks on the back, because he's constantly on fire from how poor the Crud's heat management is.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Owlbear Camus posted:

I guess I'm used to FFG games where there's a hundred different little proprietary tokens, dice, measuring tools, etc. you no-poo poo need to play, and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything like that looking at the box contents.

The only things you need to play BT are 2d6, record sheets and a rulebook. You can play hexless and use things you find in your junk drawer for terrain and counters if you want. I've played many games in the Beer Bottle Forest.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The only tokens in the alpha strike box are tokens to signify if the mechs stood still, walked/ran, jumped, or are immobile, and then some objective tokens and a scatter template. Nothing really super necessary.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

poo poo, you don’t even need the Alpha Strike cards, cause you can print it all from masterunitlist.info

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Owlbear Camus posted:

Assuming I don't necessarily need the 'mech minis
Sorry, I'm stuck on this bit.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

Sorry, I'm stuck on this bit.

Its a good value but I'm not huge on clan stuff and most everything IS in the box is a repeat, plus I own a goop printer that can spit out a couple mechs in 90 minutes.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Okay the goop printer makes sense, even if the mechs in the box are different variants to the previous ones.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

SkyeAuroline posted:

Painted a Crusader for my pirates. I don't like this mech one bit, so naturally I used him as a test bed to vary my scheme a bit. Not pictured: all the copper heat sinks on the back, because he's constantly on fire from how poor the Crud's heat management is.

Amusingly, the CRD-6T is one of the top S-tier mechs in MechWorrier OnLion

https://grimmechs.isengrim.org/TierLists?list=general

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Kesper North posted:

Amusingly, the CRD-6T is one of the top S-tier mechs in MechWorrier OnLion

https://grimmechs.isengrim.org/TierLists?list=general

I can believe it would be, I just detest everything about the Crusaders I've played with (the intro tech variants - double sinks probably save it) in Classic. Too hot, too explosive, secondary armament suffers for being leg mounted... I'll take an Archer any day, even a -2S that's clearly trying to copy the Crud. It can at least pull off the job.

(Just not a -2K, the Archer may be my favorite mech but even I can't defend that trash heap of a variant.)

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Crusaders were pretty goddamned deadly pre-lostech.in their sweet spot of 6-9 hexes away. The 4L was a pretty drat good punchbot too.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question but the CE book is kind of mandatory while the box isn't. The Box Set rules are super stripped down, not even the indirect indirect fire rules made it in.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

smug jeebus posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question but the CE book is kind of mandatory while the box isn't. The Box Set rules are super stripped down, not even the indirect indirect fire rules made it in.

No, that's actually good to know, another mark in just picking up the book and continuing to print the mechs and the little houses for them to step on.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Egg pod.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I am normal and can be trusted to modify stereolithography files in a normal way.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Apparently I'm on a roll, hammered out a Valkyrie in just over two hours. Always struck me as a weird mech, LRM fire support from a light with one ton of ammo is a strange prospect, but it at least seems to work. (I'd take it over a 10K Panther, naturally.)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

One ton of ammo is still 12 turns of fire. Pretty standard for how long an lrm boat can stay on the field.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

SkyeAuroline posted:

Apparently I'm on a roll, hammered out a Valkyrie in just over two hours. Always struck me as a weird mech, LRM fire support from a light with one ton of ammo is a strange prospect, but it at least seems to work. (I'd take it over a 10K Panther, naturally.)

'Mechs like the Valkyrie are always in this weird place. In universe, their purpose makes complete and total sense. They're harasser and skirmisher units, meant to show up, lob LRMs at an opponent to cause some damage and rattle nerves before pulling back. They don't need a huge number of reloads, just enough to make a pain of themselves before they flee back to friendly lines, and they'll almost never kill anything unless they either pick on something badly damaged or get an amazing TAC that instantly kills a foe.

In game however, the whole harasser concept doesn't work, because the game doesn't reward you for incidental damage and retreating once your bins run dry is basically just handing free victory points to the opposing side, since most scenarios count units that run off the edge of the map as destroyed, so the Valkyrie feels largely useless because it can't fight worth a drat against anything that isn't a Locust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Owlbear Camus posted:

The AS box is really good if you like a game in a box. The literal only problem I can see is that theres no tape measure, and you cant create any of the clan star formations with the mechs in the box. I think. The two scenarios are great teaching ones (start with forests, add buildings and Battlefield support later). It's awesome, a top level product.

They really need to make the tokens and buildings purchasable, and they need to design some 3D mech salvage objective markers. Also, faction specific stuff. I found a bunch of 6mm scale Japanese temples and buddha statues(for fish tanks) to build Kurita stuff and I've been looking for "classic" looking gothic architecture for old timey Steiner buildings etc(Yes I know Adeptus Titanicus terrain exists but I got 9 pieces of stuff for the same price as a single building in AD)