Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Stravag posted:

At this point, the one rifle is carried between 17 people and you have to hope the right ones bite it so you can put it back together

Can you break a mosin down into that many parts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

A.o.D. posted:

Can you break a mosin down into that many parts?

The bolt is six pieces, the stock is two, you've got the two stock bands, so we're already up to 10...

Two screws hold on the magazine and trigger assembly, two screws hold on the buttplate, so that's 16. Barreled receiver makes 17 and we even have an extra in the form of the receiver tang screw. Didn't even have to take down the trigger assembly or the mag follower.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Great now I'm picturing a platoon rushing a trench and then pausing to assemble a rifle like that scene from Naked Gun before they can fire down into it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

McNally posted:

The bolt is six pieces, the stock is two, you've got the two stock bands, so we're already up to 10...

Two screws hold on the magazine and trigger assembly, two screws hold on the buttplate, so that's 16. Barreled receiver makes 17 and we even have an extra in the form of the receiver tang screw. Didn't even have to take down the trigger assembly or the mag follower.

But you did have to break out a screwdriver. What are the odds those conscripts even have the accessory kit?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

quote:

(Kyiv, January 31, 2023) – Ukraine should investigate its military’s apparent use of thousands of rocket-fired antipersonnel landmines in and around the eastern city of Izium when Russian forces occupied the area, Human Rights Watch said today.

Human Rights Watch documented numerous cases in which rockets carrying PFM antipersonnel mines, also called “butterfly mines” or “petal mines,” were fired into Russian-occupied areas near Russian military facilities. Ukraine is a state party to the 1997 Mine Ban Treaty, which prohibits any use of antipersonnel mines.

Russian forces have used antipersonnel mines in multiple areas across Ukraine, including victim-activated booby traps, since its full-scale invasion of Ukraine on February 24, 2022. Human Rights Watch previously published three reports documenting Russian forces’ use of antipersonnel landmines in Ukraine in 2022.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2023/01/31/ukraine-banned-landmines-harm-civilians

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

This article is annoyingly repetitive.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

McNally posted:

The NGOs seem to repeat themselves a LOT to cover their bases from people saying “but what about [other actor/time]!”

And sometimes to cover the extent and limitations of witness statements.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

McNally posted:

mlmp08 posted:

The NGOs seem to repeat themselves a LOT to cover their bases from people saying “but what about [other actor/time]!”

And sometimes to cover the extent and limitations of witness statements.

That tracks. Definitely good to know.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

How are they so good at detecting this but not Russian war crimes?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Crab Dad posted:

Because they are afraid to operate in Russian controlled areas

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Crab Dad posted:

I mean:

https://www.hrw.org/news/2022/06/15/ukraine-russian-landmine-use-endangers-civilians

https://www.hrw.org/news/2022/03/29/ukraine-russia-uses-banned-antipersonnel-landmines

And that's just specifically landmines.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Crab Dad posted:

Every time they think they've finished a report a new incident comes in.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Crab Dad posted:

This is part of why they have to write repeatedly and directly into their reports, that they also cover Russian use of land mines, indiscriminate targeting, etc.

In other corners of the internet, by contrast, HRW is accused of being a CIA / VOA front.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

This just goes to show that a ban on landmines is stupid and shortsighted because obviously you'd rather have some unexploded ordnance lying around than have the Russians come and kill and rape everyone. Ditto cluster bombs.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Mortabis posted:

This just goes to show that a ban on landmines is stupid and shortsighted because obviously you'd rather have some unexploded ordnance lying around than have the Russians come and kill and rape everyone. Ditto cluster bombs.

Tell that to all the legless bosnian kids who just wanted to play soccer.

The problem with landmines is that theyre not uxo. A landmine is doing exactly what its supposed to be doing, laying around waiting to be triggered. Its not an explosive payload that didnt detonate.

My Spirit Otter fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 3, 2023

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mortabis posted:

Stop defending landmines you loving weirdo.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mortabis posted:

I'm more of a fan of the recent (not legacy) US approach: Maintain them in existence while withholding their use at rather high levels of authority and working to develop an alternative to the most miserable, stupid, long-lasting types of mines that existed in the past. Spend time and money on things that are more effective and also less inhumane and terrible to civilians, wildlife, etc. Anti-vehicle mines with a programmed expiration != anti-personnel mines that last forever. Cluster munitions over water != cluster munitions over neighborhoods. Etc.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

I'm more of a fan of the recent (not legacy) US approach: Maintain them in existence while withholding their use at rather high levels of authority and working to develop an alternative to the most miserable, stupid, long-lasting types of mines that existed in the past. Spend time and money on things that are more effective and also less inhumane and terrible to civilians, wildlife, etc. Anti-vehicle mines with a programmed expiration != anti-personnel mines that last forever. Cluster munitions over water != cluster munitions over neighborhoods. Etc.

Yeah unfortunately there isn't really a quick way to put up an obstacle belt if you aren't using mines. Tank ditches and wire take a lot of time and personnel, whereas mines can be delivered via artillery or aircraft. That said, I'm not sure there's a real operational purpose for APM these days other than trying to degrade enemy morale or kill a lot of civilians.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I don't really flinch when forces use scatterable anti-tank mines. Modern ones have an expiration dates (or hours) built in. And it makes sense, for example, that Ukraine has used them as well as Russia using them to cover their withdrawal from Kherson.

But the never-expires anti-personnel mines are just gnarly and hosed up, and they are terrible for civilians for years and years.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

psydude posted:

Yeah unfortunately there isn't really a quick way to put up an obstacle belt if you aren't using mines. Tank ditches and wire take a lot of time and personnel, whereas mines can be delivered via artillery or aircraft. That said, I'm not sure there's a real operational purpose for APM these days other than trying to degrade enemy morale or kill a lot of civilians.

What's wrong with anti-vehicle mines, though?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Hyperlynx posted:

What's wrong with anti-vehicle mines, though?

they unfairly punish civilian tank enthusiasts for years to come

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I probably shouldn't joke too much about landmines since my grandpa was blown up by one and had half his body blown off or mangled. Then he got to spend 60 years living in pain, blind and unable to care for himself or even dress himself.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

How long does it take for them to rust into being harmless?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Anti-personnel mines are generally fickle and unreliable and can last for decades.

A lot of reasonably modern anti-tank mines have a self-deactivation period measured in hours or days.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Jimmy Smuts posted:

The course of decay for ordinance does not necessarily trend towards less dangerous.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Mortabis posted:

You are such a profoundly stupid loving idiot i dont know how your parents didnt drown you as a child to do the world a favor

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

My Spirit Otter posted:

Tell that to all the legless bosnian kids who just wanted to play soccer.

The problem with landmines is that theyre not uxo. A landmine is doing exactly what its supposed to be doing, laying around waiting to be triggered. Its not an explosive payload that didnt detonate.

Please find one to touch tia

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Ooookay then. Let's go through this.

Mortabis posted:

gently caress this and gently caress you.

Stravag posted:

You are such a profoundly stupid loving idiot i dont know how your parents didnt drown you as a child to do the world a favor

Whoop whoop. Pull up. Whoop whoop.

The Aardvark posted:

Please find one to touch tia

"Go blow yourself up" is a hell of a response to "land mines bad."

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Stravag posted:

Edit- beaten by McNally

Mortabis’s take is dumb and worthy of ridicule.

Personal attacks stop here though. We don’t need an internet slap fight in the current events thread. I am on mobile and can’t hand out sixers. So I am asking everyone to be adults and relax a bit.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Really hard to criticize a country fighting off another country calling for the genocide of their people. Sure they suck and shouldn’t be used but…. Uh we arnt exactly sticking boots on ground.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Any time a human rights NGO issues a report like this, there's this aggravating cognitive dissonance of their reports being far more critical of the more transparent side than the side that's objectively committing worse acts. They essentially say yadda yadda yadda we know the Russians are terrible, but have you seen what Ukraine is doing?

Pointing this out obviously seems like you're defending bad behavior from your side.

HRW is like the NCAA. They're harder on the people that cooperate than the ones that tell them to gently caress off.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Crab Dad posted:

Really hard to criticize a country fighting off another country calling for the genocide of their people. Sure they suck and shouldn’t be used but…. Uh we arnt exactly sticking boots on ground.

I dont know, anti-personnel mines are pretty terrible and if you dont know where you placed them, you cant easily remove them.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

My Spirit Otter posted:

I dont know, anti-personnel mines are pretty terrible and if you dont know where you placed them, you cant easily remove them.

I understand that but what does it matter when you, your family and everyone you knew is relocated and enslaved if not straight out murdered?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

GD_American posted:

HRW is like the NCAA. They're harder on the people that cooperate than the ones that tell them to gently caress off.

By sheer volume of reporting, nah. They're very clear that Russia is the aggressor and have detailed their war crimes at considerable length. That's why a bunch of dumbasses think they're a US gov mouthpiece.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I think you would have to lay out your priorities and compare the damage caused vs effectiveness which is tough since its human lives either way. If the mines slow/stop the Russian advance its probably worth if you can keep track of the mined areas but I really have no idea how to examine this.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

My Spirit Otter posted:

Personal take is Ukraine wouldn't have needed to make that decision in the first place had Russian not tried to encircle and capture the capital. Hell of a choice to have to consider that when the entire country is mobilizing and trying to buy time to get additional material and aid from the west and anything that buys more hours is more time for your country to survive.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

GD_American posted:

Any time a human rights NGO issues a report like this, there's this aggravating cognitive dissonance of their reports being far more critical of the more transparent side than the side that's objectively committing worse acts. They essentially say yadda yadda yadda we know the Russians are terrible, but have you seen what Ukraine is doing?

Pointing this out obviously seems like you're defending bad behavior from your side.

You should really take a look at what HRW is actually reporting: https://www.hrw.org/europe/central-asia/ukraine

It's a long string of stories almost entirely on Russian war crimes, with one recent report critical of Ukraine's use of landmines. This recent report is getting attention just because it's the exception to the rule.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

well gently caress, ukraine might as well use chemical weapons if thats how y'all feel

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

lightpole posted:

I think you would have to lay out your priorities and compare the damage caused vs effectiveness which is tough since its human lives either way. If the mines slow/stop the Russian advance its probably worth if you can keep track of the mined areas but I really have no idea how to examine this.

If you read the report, it describes them being fired into/around Russian held areas while Russia held Izium, not being used to stop an advance. So while it probably harmed Russians, firing them as a general harassment is no good. Not exactly firing mines into the gap to hold off a rushing offense.

quote:

“They are everywhere,” one Ukrainian deminer said, referring to PFM mines in the Izium area. Deminers estimated it could take decades to clear the area of landmines and other unexploded ordnance.

Human Rights Watch saw physical evidence of PFM antipersonnel mine use in seven of the nine areas in and around Izium. This includes unexploded mines, remnants of mines, and the metal cassettes that carry the mines in rockets. In multiple locations, researchers observed blast signatures that were consistent with the amount of explosive contained in PFM antipersonnel mines. In the two other areas, multiple witnesses said they had seen mines that matched the description of PFM mines.

In six of the nine areas, witnesses described attacks consistent with landmines delivered by rocket artillery. In three locations in the Izium area, Human Rights Watch saw how the rocket motor of an Uragan-series artillery rocket, which can be used for mine dispersal, was lodged in the ground or had hit a building in such a way that indicated it had come from the direction where Ukrainian forces controlled territory, and were within the 35-kilometer maximum range of these rockets, at the time of the attack.

The nine areas were all close to where Russian military forces were positioned at the time, suggesting they were the target. Russian forces were retreating from these positions in early September, but witnesses said that the two attacks Human Rights Watch documented on September 9 and 10 occurred when Russian forces were still present in those areas.

More than 100 residents of Izium and the surrounding area said that Russian forces or occupation authorities posted and distributed flyers to warn of the landmine danger. They also cleared landmines from public areas and civilians’ private property and took some mine victims to Russia for medical care – actions inconsistent with being responsible for laying the mines. Human Rights Watch interviewed two landmine victims who said that Russian forces transferred them by military helicopter to Russia for medical care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

My Spirit Otter posted:

well gently caress, ukraine might as well use chemical weapons if thats how y'all feel

Or nukes on defense.
Or nukes at all?
Why have them if you ain’t gonna use them?
Ooh this war stuff is complicated.