Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Tree Dude posted:

So we know Dan has these texts too. I think what would be interesting to me would be an episode about his takeaways and what he thought was relevant to KF listeners that Hatewatch + SPLC might have missed. Just recapping these articles would be pointless because we can just read them.

I. Know. How. To read.

Do we know that Dan does? I don’t actually remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

bird food bathtub posted:

That's the problem I'm getting at, I don't think they ever will suffer from pointing out their hypocrisy.

The benefit is the people in the middle ground who don't have a clear feeling one way or the other yet, because pointing out hyprocrisy might be the thing that sways their decision. Highlighting a culture of hyprocrisy will also generally influence the thoughts of people, especially (but not solely) children as they start paying more attention to politics and society, which can shape the demographics of politics for an entire generation. Which seems kind of important? Like, if everyone just gave up and went "ah gently caress it, there's no reason to point out hypocrisy anymore" then a lot of people would no longer even know that hyprocisy even exists to a large degree, so there'd be a broader trend to follow and trust moneyed interests because there's no information out there refuting them. Which would lead to more hypocrisy and authoritarianism.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 2, 2023

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Xiahou Dun posted:

Do we know that Dan does? I don’t actually remember.

Dan was quoted in a recent mainstream article giving some of his thoughts. It either implied or outright said that he has them. Can't remember the outlet but I'll try to chase it down when I get some time if someone else doesn't know off hand.

Edit: https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/exclusive-tucker-carlson-alex-jones-texts-revealed_n_63b5ad3ce4b0d6f0b9f77efa

quote:

Dan Friesen is the co-host of the Infowars analysis podcast “Knowledge Fight” along with fellow comedian Jordan Holmes. The two have spent five years and more than 700 episodes staring into the abyss of the conspiracy theory program and reporting back their findings.

Friesen, who has reviewed the texts, told HuffPost the messages show a deeper familiarity between the two.

It’s possible Jones has had an influence on Carlson, Friesen said.

“The clear indication is that there is at least some sort of editorial influence that Alex has ― whether direct, indirect, even if it’s minimal ― and it matters because Tucker is probably the most influential cable show host in the world, and Alex is a raving lunatic.”

So I think my memory inflated the line "who has reviewed the texts" to be something a little more concrete than it is. I dont see why their BFF Mark Bankston wouldn't give them the texts though.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 2, 2023

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
From part 2 of SPLC:

"On the afternoon of March 4, 2020, Piccirillo sends Jones a photo of a black T-shirt with Jackson’s face on it. The words “#DirtyJudge Amy Berman Jackson'' are printed around her picture. Piccirillo asks Jones if he wants one of the shirts.
“Please large,” Jones responds."

Alex thinks he can wear a Large shirt

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
maybe it's for his friend Pat?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Tree Dude posted:

Dan was quoted in a recent mainstream article giving some of his thoughts. It either implied or outright said that he has them. Can't remember the outlet but I'll try to chase it down when I get some time if someone else doesn't know off hand.

Edit: https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/exclusive-tucker-carlson-alex-jones-texts-revealed_n_63b5ad3ce4b0d6f0b9f77efa

So I think my memory inflated the line "who has reviewed the texts" to be something a little more concrete than it is. I dont see why their BFF Mark Bankston wouldn't give them the texts though.

I think the answer is “a lot of laws”. Dan might have some access cause he was a no poo poo expert witness, but Jordan and we ain’t.

Like maybe it is open season and anyone can get it. I don’t know how the privacy rights work all I know is that they’re gonna be complicated.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It also seems like the kind of thing Dan would be relucant to discuss on the show anyway because they intrude onto Alex's private life rather than his public persona. Sure, it's conceivable that he might discuss stuff that Alex himself brings up in the show but even that seems like the kind of thing Dan would have to think about before he reached any kind of decision on it.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I think Jordan semi recently said that he got brought in as an expert after Dan just because it was l the only way to legally protect and bind everyone in case Jordan saw or heard things he wasn't supposed to via Dan. Might be wrong

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I don't think it matters all that much for the purposes of these texts though. I remember Mark saying pretty early on he was open to giving the files to media outlets and concerned parties who asked for them. Knowledge Fight is the worlds leading Alex Jones media outlet.

As demonstrated earlier though my memory can be unreliable and I know little of law stuff.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tree Dude posted:

I don't think it matters all that much for the purposes of these texts though. I remember Mark saying pretty early on he was open to giving the files to media outlets and concerned parties who asked for them. Knowledge Fight is the worlds leading Alex Jones media outlet.

As demonstrated earlier though my memory can be unreliable and I know little of law stuff.

And the splc has said they will be making it all public in the near future

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
From the SPLC, they are public record

quote:

Attorney Mark Bankston of Farrar & Ball LLP, turned the text messages over to Hatewatch in September on a not-for-publication basis, to aid Hatewatch’s mission of analyzing extremist networks. On Jan. 31, Hatewatch received word that a redacted copy of the messages entered the public record, enabling the publication of this series.

Bankston sent Hatewatch a statement Wednesday after the texts became public record: “A redacted copy of Mr. Jones’ text messages was included as an exhibit in a recent court filing. Over the past week, on three separate occasions, my law firm invited Mr. Jones’ lawyers to obtain a sealing order under Texas Rule 76(a)(5) to protect any confidential information in that exhibit, which we did not oppose. For unknown reasons, Mr. Jones’ lawyers declined our offer and chose not to take any steps to prevent these messages from entering the public record.”

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Well more evidence I’m a dumb rear end in a top hat lol.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
It's curious to me that he was still entertaining finding dirt on the Comet Pizza owner over three years after he had to make a lawyer-induced public apology. We already knew this inability to learn lessons from the Chobani Yogurt guy's constant defaming, but still... I can only wonder if he's still demanding his Blackwater guys dig up dirt on the Sandy Hook families even now.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
That 60 page background check in Infowars files didn''t just appear out of nowhere

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Froghammer posted:

That 60 page background check in Infowars files didn''t just appear out of nowhere

Where are you getting 60? Everything I've heard gave it a higher page count.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Could be misremembering

Either way yeah, Alex uses his personal security guards to spy on the people around him. The man is immune to irony

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Hilarious to hear "suckie" showing up as the only thing Dan needs to address because of stackies and brakies and the general etymological patterns.

Dan's explanation of his access during this episode is really poignant and great. Saying he recused himself once it got really personal is so telling. All hail Dan and his ever reasonable discretion. The splc stuff is too gross for KF content, like they've said before, but even more so as a pubic spectacle.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 3, 2023

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Episode actually so good it probably belongs in the op since it relates to the external event caused by the splc. Speaks a lot to Dan's intention and involvement in the world trying to present and interpret Alex.. And Jordan is tolerable the whole time!

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Is... Is it just me, or is that Wagner ad just using straight up Cyberpunk 2077 music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhehxYhXG5Q

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

ILL Machina posted:

Episode actually so good it probably belongs in the op since it relates to the external event caused by the splc.

Done.

I have thoughts on AJ’s escapist fantasy compound in the woods, once the normies get done listening in the morning.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

drat you a boss fr

there are another half dozen formulatic objections to add to the list at this point, but honestly I think you've got enough on there to hook folks and they can find the rest themselves.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Feb 3, 2023

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Wish I was as classy as Dan. Respect the hell out of his decision to step off the SPLC articles and how he chooses to run the podcast. Couldn't be me though. I'll take all the personal stories I can get. I have no such restraint even if I do generally agree with him on his issues with the coverage.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

ILL Machina posted:

drat you a boss fr

there are another half dozen formulatic objections to add to the list at this point, but honestly I think you've got enough on there to hook folks and they can find the rest themselves.

That's the rationalization I'm using for my laziness. Thank you.

Though, I'll try to stay on top of adding episodes like this and anytime they have a 'mainstream' guest. I hope I get to link a Doughboys episode, drat it.

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 3, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

FFT posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they cover some episodes from the relevant days.
Welp I'm surprised they weren't notable.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

FFT posted:

Welp I'm surprised they weren't notable.

That’s just his maintenance buzz he has to keep going through the day.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Right, (mostly) functional alcoholic.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
"It's great that we've gotten to the point that you can 'neighbors' yourself."

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Vodka must give him an even keel, which is why he day drinks it. Dark liquors obviously make him ornery.

What does it say about your life when the only person who respects your basic human dignity is the same person who has devoted the last six years of his life to aggressively shaming you in public?

Thank Dan or Dan.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Marsupial Ape posted:

Vodka must give him an even keel, which is why he day drinks it. Dark liquors obviously make him ornery.

What does it say about your life when the only person who respects your basic human dignity is the same person who has devoted the last six years of his life to aggressively shaming you in public?

Thank Dan or Dan.

It's a shame reality isn't a simulation, because it'd be fascinating to allow Alex the chance to step into a private booth away from the cameras that are reality and speak to an external audience about how he feels knowing that his biggest critic in some ways is also a strong defender of his right to a private life. A chance to hear him speak on it without putting on a personality for a paying audience he feels he has to maintain a personality to continue grifting. It does seem like the kind of thing someone in his orbit, like his ex-wife or something, will eventually write a tell all book about now that I mention it.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
You want to turn InfoWars into Our Town?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I have no idea what that is, or even a desire to turn it into a recurring segment so much as think it'd be an interesting thing to get an insight into once. That said, turning InfoWars into anything else seems like it'd be a net gain, so yes?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Can you vote people out? I'd love to vote people out.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

"Replicants have rights" is so good. Alex does nothing but watch sci-fi movies and doesn't understand a word of them.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

"Replicants have rights" is so good. Alex does nothing but watch sci-fi movies and doesn't understand a word of them.

That was like, the entire point of the movie is that they don't have rights. That's why they mostly did industrial work, soldiering or sex robots.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Your Gay Uncle posted:

That was like, the entire point of the movie is that they don't have rights. That's why they mostly did industrial work, soldiering or sex robots.

Well, that and ambiguity of whether Deckard is a Replicant or not and how that should extend to everyone questioning why others do or do not have rights. rear end in a top hat shithead fuckers like Jones are incapable of comprehending something that starts from a position of empathy though, so welp.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
When Alex talked about his plan to put out even more content and building a home studio and a space for roundtable discussions I couldn't shake this feeling that this could be a sign that he's realizing he won't be able to keep the InfoWars studio space and needs to downsize.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
First and foremost, I recognized the desperation in Alex's voice describing his dream homestead. Reality must be getting close, because that is a straight up escapist fantasy. Assholes like Alex have a deep desire to a be petty chieftan with just some complaint women, a couple oxen, and some thralls for labor. That's his happy place.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

tsob posted:

It also seems like the kind of thing Dan would be relucant to discuss on the show anyway because they intrude onto Alex's private life rather than his public persona. Sure, it's conceivable that he might discuss stuff that Alex himself brings up in the show but even that seems like the kind of thing Dan would have to think about before he reached any kind of decision on it.

Dan does talk about it on this one. He was involved with the project, he no longer is, and he sounds pretty pissed about the way the SPLC handled it (and with good reason).

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Yeah, it was a classy as hell response and I respect his stance on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Dan is the only person on Earth who actually cares about Alex at all.