Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Let the 1 year wonders have their pro bowls

They don't have their pro bowl anymore now. You can still name a one-year all star team but only play every 5 years. And the pro bowlers don't get all-pro status already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

No Butt Stuff posted:

you'd also gently caress up a lot of contract incentives.

I didn't say wipe out naming a one-year pro bowl roster just not have an actual all-star game every five years. So some years you have a field day. Some years you have the all-star game. Maybe don't even call that game the pro bowl anymore. Just use that for the roster. Then other years you do other fun activities. The NFL clearly wants to do stuff with that pro bowl week. So I'm just having ideas with how to use it year to year.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

so make less money but do the same amount of admin work.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

No Butt Stuff posted:

so make less money but do the same amount of admin work.

What?

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Kawalimus posted:

But it's about the performances over a 5-year period. Not just the top WRs from the year the game is played. But if it were 5 years ago and those guys had been the best over the last five years then maybe!

Ok, on top of everything else that people have brought up, how many guys on the over-30 team would even want to show up and play? Dudes in their physical primes don't even show up as it is, and you propose a whole team of aging players whose bodies don't recover as quickly as they used to and who would all be aware that their time in the league could end in an instant.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
If they must do something then scrap the whole pro bowl roster thing. Send out an open invitation to the entire NFLPA and let guys sign up who want to participate. Have a 40 yard dash contest. Have a strongman contest. Have a kicking contest. Whatever else. At least then you have guys who want to be there. I still don't think it would be a draw.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Black Lighter posted:

Ok, on top of everything else that people have brought up, how many guys on the over-30 team would even want to show up and play? Dudes in their physical primes don't even show up as it is, and you propose a whole team of aging players whose bodies don't recover as quickly as they used to and who would all be aware that their time in the league could end in an instant.

Well the game would never be physical like a real game. That's how any all-star game is. They play the all-star game in hockey and hockey's a physical game too. Even a 40 year old guy played in an NHL all star game recently. And over 30 year olds have played in the pro bowl in the past. It's mainly a fun activity but there's a shade of intrigue to it.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

wandler20 posted:

If they must do something then scrap the whole pro bowl roster thing. Send out an open invitation to the entire NFLPA and let guys sign up who want to participate. Have a 40 yard dash contest. Have a strongman contest. Have a kicking contest. Whatever else. At least then you have guys who want to be there. I still don't think it would be a draw.

And yeah they could do this sort of thing in other years. That's another cool idea to have. Sometimes you just have to experiment with things. You can't just be a naysayer and say "oh this won't work and that won't work". To me that's how corporate culture thinks of everything. They don't experiment. If they don't know for a fact it won't make a buck they won't put money into it. And that ruins all our minds and we are taught to think that same way about everything. Any chance it won't work??? Then never try it!!!!

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

wandler20 posted:

Actually, I think this could be interesting if it was geared towards giving lesser-known players a chance to get their names out there and show off some skills that might not be apparent on the bench or on a lovely team

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Have them play a golf tournament. I don’t even like golf and it would be more entertaining than the pro bowl.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mega64 posted:

Have free drugs at the Pro Bowl

Skills comp done while coming up on shrooms.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Last person to hallucinate their evil doppelgänger in a mirror while on LSD wins the Pro Bowl.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

wandler20 posted:

This is a decent idea but also they should literally hand the players cash for winning. Win the footrace in your position group? You get handed $10000 in a sack with a dollar bill sign on it.

Like idk how much anyone in here knows about skateboarding but there's been several contests that are similar. They just give 500 bucks to the first person to do each specific trick down a huge stair set or something with a bonus for doing it first try or whatever.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

just name an all-pro team and be done with it

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Rogue Elephant posted:

This is a decent idea but also they should literally hand the players cash for winning. Win the footrace in your position group? You get handed $10000 in a sack with a dollar bill sign on it.

Like idk how much anyone in here knows about skateboarding but there's been several contests that are similar. They just give 500 bucks to the first person to do each specific trick down a huge stair set or something with a bonus for doing it first try or whatever.

I like this but make it "wrong position groups only". 40 yard dash? Only open to nose tackles and guards. Bench press? Send your buffest kickers and punters. Quarterbacks do 3 cone drills.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Whole lotta people getting kawalimus'd today

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Fun Question: Does Derrick Thomas still have the single game record for sacks with 7? And if so, who is the poor QB who had to deal with that?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

trilljester posted:

Fun Question: Does Derrick Thomas still have the single game record for sacks with 7? And if so, who is the poor QB who had to deal with that?

Good ol' Dave Krieg of the Seahawks.

However, both McNabb and Warren Moon were sacked 12 times in a game once and... 10 other guys 11 times

McNabb got sacked by:
Osi Umenyiora x6
Mathias Kiwanuka x3
Justin Tuck x2
and that lazy bitch Michael Strahan only got him once.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

edit: nevermind, tired of litigating this poo poo

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

trilljester posted:

David Krieg, the most unlucky QB to ever live.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kalli posted:

However, both McNabb and Warren Moon were sacked 12 times in a game once and... 10 other guys 11 times

McNabb got sacked by:
Osi Umenyiora x6
Mathias Kiwanuka x3
Justin Tuck x2

I remember watching that and the eagles LT was so hurt he literally could not get out of his stance.

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

I remember watching that and the eagles LT was so hurt he literally could not get out of his stance.

Winston Justice. I don’t recall him being hurt either. :mrwhite:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Yeah there's a reason we refer to that game as "The Winston Justice Game"

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Kalli posted:

McNabb got sacked by:
Osi Umenyiora x6
Mathias Kiwanuka x3
Justin Tuck x2

I read that as Justin Tucker at first and got a nice laugh pretending a kicker was sacking the QB

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

do yo u think andy reid will retire if he beats his old team in the super bowl. i think he shouldn't retire until the wheels fall off the current team due to possibly more super bowls. what about you?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

And then he made the PowerPoint (I think)

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I read that as Justin Tucker at first and got a nice laugh pretending a kicker was sacking the QB

He was this huge dude with this super stupid looking face mask. Probably should've been MVP of the superbowl too.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Diva Cupcake posted:

The PFF list is generally a good resource for FA contract projections.
https://twitter.com/PFF_Brad/status/1621202721951961089

There are 9 Eagles on this list, which speaks to how good the roster is and how they really need to win the SB

There is a 0% chance Lamar hits the open market so he shouldn't even be on the list

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

There is a 0% chance Lamar hits the open market so he shouldn't even be on the list

Free agency articles would be super boring if they did that though

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Cavauro posted:

do yo u think andy reid will retire if he beats his old team in the super bowl. i think he shouldn't retire until the wheels fall off the current team due to possibly more super bowls. what about you?

I would retire if I were him. If I win another SB right now what do I have left to prove. That would solidify him as a Hall of Fame coach if he's not already there which I'd say he is. He has his issues with time management but I consider Reid one of the few coaches in the league I actually respect and consider worthy of his position.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Pro bowl should play video games. And bake-offs.

Which nfl star is the best at starcraft?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Kalli posted:

Free agency articles would be super boring if they did that though

Yeah even the yearly one put out by Rosenthal ends up with 6-7 of the top 10 being franchised.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

OneMoreTime posted:

David Krieg, the most unlucky QB to ever live.

Never forget that on the 8th sack Dave Krieg slipped out of DT's fingers and threw the game-winning touchdown and it impressed the Chiefs so much they brought him in as QB for a few years.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Pro bowl should play video games. And bake-offs.

Which nfl star is the best at starcraft?

Play it in Dallas with the giant screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAKgWwReh6w

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

kiimo posted:

Never forget that on the 8th sack Dave Krieg slipped out of DT's fingers and threw the game-winning touchdown and it impressed the Chiefs so much they brought him in as QB for a few years.

I had to dig up the highlight video that has all the sacks, and it's pretty amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUSFq5OatdI

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

This really put Tom Brady into perspective

https://twitter.com/BarryOnHere/status/1620956410178682881

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Who was the Falcons edge who sacked Dak 6 times because they refused to give their rookie(?) LT any help?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Quiet Feet posted:

Who was the Falcons edge who sacked Dak 6 times because they refused to give their rookie(?) LT any help?

Adrian Clayborn! He won a superbowl the next year on the Pats.

Fun story, that game would've been his 2nd most productive season.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

kiimo posted:

And the LT who allowed those 7 sacks has been the Chiefs OL coach for like over a decade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Kalli posted:

Adrian Clayborn! He won a superbowl the next year on the Pats.

Fun story, that game would've been his 2nd most productive season.

Another wasted Bucs first rounder.