Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Bottom Liner posted:

Uh oh. Archives of Nethys is down?

I'm running a short (5-7 session) game where the conceit is the party are all goblins hiding out in caves nearby a city and raiding it (sneakily, not directly). A reverse dungeon crawl concept. I want to give players a free archetype choice from a list of say 4-6 that will be thematic to being little shithead goblins. Which archetypes will fit this concept best? Alchemist is a shoe in.

Archetypes that I would suggest allowing for little shithead goblins. Probably not all of these, but the shortlist I’d whittle down from is:

Acrobat
beast Master
Bullet Dancer (I would reflavor this heavily but I love the idea of a little pistolwhipper running around with a spoon gun)
Demolitionist
Familiar Master
Mauler
Scout
Scrounger
Snarecrafter
Spell Trickster
Sterling Dynamo
Trick Driver
Unexpected Sharpshooter
Weapon Improviser
Wellspring Mage
Wrestler

And then whatever multiclass archetypes you want; Alchemist, Inventor, Rogue, Barbarian and Gunslinger all feel like shoo ins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Roadie posted:

It's not because the rules are 'slightly different', it's because for most classes they're just boring. There are lots of examples, but the most obvious is the optimal operative, whose course of action every single turn in combat for the entire campaign is to move and trick attack with a single minmaxed skill.

My groups biggest gripe with Starfinder is we had an Envoy and an Operative and it felt like everything the Envoy did, the Operative could do better plus it could do more damage. Like both had abilities to make it easier for the group to hit enemies but they were the same type of bonus so they didn't stack etc.

We haven't played since pre-pandemic and I don't think the Envoy was truly optimized so I may not be remembering exactly how it all went but there was definitely some frustration.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Chevy Slyme posted:

And then whatever multiclass archetypes you want; Alchemist, Inventor, Rogue, Barbarian and Gunslinger all feel like shoo ins.

I feel like you could probably put Witch on the short list of potential multiclasses too, depending on the vibe of your specific tribe. It doesn't gel with their good stats the way Sorcerer would, but it's a kind of spellcasting that fits with goblins' vibes.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Epi Lepi posted:

My groups biggest gripe with Starfinder is we had an Envoy and an Operative and it felt like everything the Envoy did, the Operative could do better plus it could do more damage. Like both had abilities to make it easier for the group to hit enemies but they were the same type of bonus so they didn't stack etc.

We haven't played since pre-pandemic and I don't think the Envoy was truly optimized so I may not be remembering exactly how it all went but there was definitely some frustration.

This is absolutely a thing. The Envoy class is basically worthless unless you want to be (a) a healer, or (b) a shapeshifter (but if you do that you're stuck using Starfinder's incredibly overcomplicated polymorph spell rules). Everything else it does is just the lovely version of an Operative or a spellcasting class.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Chevy Slyme posted:

Archetypes that I would suggest allowing for little shithead goblins. Probably not all of these, but the shortlist I’d whittle down from is:

Trick Driver

All good suggestions but holy poo poo I didn’t know this was a thing. That’s perfect, definitely going to sway it towards heist missions.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So through a combination of my current obsession with the Wrath of the Righteous game and everyone online talking about Pathfinder 2e I've decided to try my hand at starting up a PF2e game among some local friends and, while I'm not new to dming I do have a few questions about PF2e, its product line and the free online resources:

1. My plan is to run a game of the Beginner Box into Abomination Vaults (with an eye on potentially taking that into Fist of the Ruby Phoenix if all goes well) and while I know the Beginner Box will have paper mats for us to use minis/pawns on I don't see anything out there for Abomination Vaults. I could get a blank mat with some wet-erase markers and do it myself but I'd prefer to have my players look at the nicely detailed art instead of some marker lines. I found some pdf files of the Abomination Vaults maps online (https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder2e/comments/nnpfsl/abomination_vaults_remade_maps_for_all_3_books/) but am unsure about how I would go about turning them into a playable surface.

2. With the humble bundle up I'm looking at a big savings for a lot of the books I want but since I'm going to be playing in person a pdf is actually a little more awkward to use than a physical book I can flip through unless I buy a cheap tablet to read them on, my phone isn't going to cut it. My big question for it though is what it means for the pawn collections to be "digital only" since they're supposed to be cardboard popouts and I have no idea how you would use them if they're a pdf file instead.

3. Is it worthwhile to try to weave Trouble in Otari into my campaign if I'm going Beginner Box>Abomination Vaults? I've seen some stuff online suggesting this but I'm worried this might overcomplicate things while I'm still trying to get my sea legs in a new system.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

AnEdgelord posted:

3. Is it worthwhile to try to weave Trouble in Otari into my campaign if I'm going Beginner Box>Abomination Vaults? I've seen some stuff online suggesting this but I'm worried this might overcomplicate things while I'm still trying to get my sea legs in a new system.

It’s easy to do if you run Milestone advancement instead of counting XP; as to whether it’s worthwhile, it comes down to what your group wants. Weaving in Troubles is a good way to give your group a bit of a break from the mega dungeon dive, with a greater variety of challenges/encounters. If your group wants more social play and character development and investment in the world around them, it’s a good fit.

If you have more of a beer and pretzels, move from fight to fight dungeon crawl vibe, I might not bother.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009
I, also, have come over from 5e after the OGL nonsense.

I’m going through the Beginner Box, and I had a question about how persistent damage works out of combat.

Specifically the Envenomed Lock hazard. Do you make an envenomed player enter rounds of “combat” to make the flat checks until they beat the flat 15 DC? That seems really tedious. I like it because it could exhaust HP and require players to use resources to cover it, but with all the non-magical healing and the encounter math expecting characters to be at full health, it seems like a slog to have to do that.

How do you handle persistent damage outside of combat?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

mrbass21 posted:

I handwave it unless it will kill them, TBH past like level 2 I handwave all out of combat healing or my players will sit there and micromanage their 10 minute increments like I'm gonna make a different decision if they spend 20 instead of 30 minutes treating wounds. (If they are pressed for time I tell them so they can micromanage away.)

RAW you are supposed to do round-by-round DC15s, although they can take actions to lower the DC without the pressure of combat. Try to put out the fire, splash water on themselves to wash off acid, things like that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

So through a combination of my current obsession with the Wrath of the Righteous game and everyone online talking about Pathfinder 2e I've decided to try my hand at starting up a PF2e game among some local friends and, while I'm not new to dming I do have a few questions about PF2e, its product line and the free online resources:

1. My plan is to run a game of the Beginner Box into Abomination Vaults (with an eye on potentially taking that into Fist of the Ruby Phoenix if all goes well) and while I know the Beginner Box will have paper mats for us to use minis/pawns on I don't see anything out there for Abomination Vaults. I could get a blank mat with some wet-erase markers and do it myself but I'd prefer to have my players look at the nicely detailed art instead of some marker lines. I found some pdf files of the Abomination Vaults maps online (https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder2e/comments/nnpfsl/abomination_vaults_remade_maps_for_all_3_books/) but am unsure about how I would go about turning them into a playable surface.

In the past Paizo has released battlemaps or poster maps to go with some of their adventure paths, but Abomination Vaults isn't one of them. You'd either want to take those files and get a printing shop to print them out for you large format (1 square = 1 inch), or yeah, just use markers and stuff on a battlemat.

quote:

2. With the humble bundle up I'm looking at a big savings for a lot of the books I want but since I'm going to be playing in person a pdf is actually a little more awkward to use than a physical book I can flip through unless I buy a cheap tablet to read them on, my phone isn't going to cut it. My big question for it though is what it means for the pawn collections to be "digital only" since they're supposed to be cardboard popouts and I have no idea how you would use them if they're a pdf file instead.

The pawn collection PDFs give you the art, so you could possibly print it out and fit it into a standee or something yourself. They're more useful to copy art from for playing digitally, IMO. The physical pawn collections were great, but Paizo's stopped producing them due to the current state of the world (shipping + materials costs).

Arivia fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 3, 2023

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

My in-person group started with the Beginner Box, and is currently doing Abomination Vault. I'm going to start mixing in Troubles from Otari content in this weekend's session, and we're looking at doing Ruby Phoenix next. So, we are in the same boat!

I just got a wet erase mat (specifically this one) and used that for AV, and it's worked pretty well. I also am sketching a map for the players as they explore, and I occasionally sketch maps they get in-game as well (quite poorly in the case of the one they get from the Mitflits).

It looks like you can still get a physical AV pawn set from Paizo. I got it, and it doesn't have everything in there, but between the Beginner's Box pawns and the AV pawns we've been able to at least come up with a close analog for every monster they've faced.

Between the above, my prep as GM is really easy — I just skim through the floors as they get close to them, and take some extra notes on how to play an NPC if they are likely to meet them. The strength of the adventure paths takes care of the rest.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Finster Dexter posted:

I have tried playing Starfinder, and I love the setting, but I can't help feeling like I've "graduated" from D&D 3.5/PF 1e style. I think there's a lot of jank with 3.x games, and sometimes jank is really fun. It's a subjective thing for me, though, and it's hard to go back to 3.x jank when I can play PF 2e or something a bit more refined.

This beats the pants off Azure or AWS. I was running a foundry server on Azure and it was running me like $30-40 a month. AWS was like $20. I have to check out Oracle Cloud as an option.

My AWS bill was pushing $15 and the Oracle Cloud vm just blows it away performance wise in addition to being free or at most about $2/month if you create and store a backup copy of your storage or something. I still use an S3 bucket for a lot of Foundry stuff but the bill is usually 1-2 cents a month

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

mrbass21 posted:

I, also, have come over from 5e after the OGL nonsense.

I’m going through the Beginner Box, and I had a question about how persistent damage works out of combat.

Specifically the Envenomed Lock hazard. Do you make an envenomed player enter rounds of “combat” to make the flat checks until they beat the flat 15 DC? That seems really tedious. I like it because it could exhaust HP and require players to use resources to cover it, but with all the non-magical healing and the encounter math expecting characters to be at full health, it seems like a slog to have to do that.

In general, most tables I’ve seen handle it as “combat’s over? Okay, are you doing anything to try to mitigate the damage or just going to wait it out? In either case, just roll your flat check repeatedly until it passes, (weaving in medicine or aid or whatever checks as needed) and then take the damage.” It takes like 30 seconds.

For hazards and other “encounters” that don’t happen as combat, it helps to sometimes approach those in “initiative” order even if that’s just going around the table, and counting rounds, since it clarifies a lot of the mechanics that you’ll otherwise end up hand waving.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Got the Humble Bundle pf2e pack but I already got the Abomination Vault foundry module. If anyone wants it, the code is 1RFP-N3XS-RSEM-OFN0-VWEI-PJUH

You redeem it on the foundry website. Can't recommend it enough, paizo does some outstanding foundry modules.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

canepazzo posted:

Got the Humble Bundle pf2e pack but I already got the Abomination Vault foundry module. If anyone wants it, the code is <snip>

You redeem it on the foundry website. Can't recommend it enough, paizo does some outstanding foundry modules.

I used this. Thank you very much, I already bought the book and hadn't upgraded to the VTT yet, and didn't really need anything else in the bundle personally.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah I was about to link the Humble Bundle because I just found out about it and it's basically the sequel to the last bundle they did and has a lot of stuff I wanted to look at, including Abomination vaults and the Beginner Box. https://www.humblebundle.com/books/so-you-wanna-try-out-pathfinder-paizo-books

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

In case it helps anyone make a decision, the overlap between this and the Strength of Thousands bundle last year is pretty light and mostly confined to the bottom tier - the core rulebook, Bestiary, Lost Omens World Guide and Character Guide, and the character sheet pack. Unless I missed something, only five items shared between the two. (I say this as someone who bought the SoT bundle, redeemed it all, then sat on it until just recently and then this popped up. In case anyone else is like me.)

EDIT: vvvv Well fixing that mistake. I checked again and again and somehow still missed that, I guess because I got wrapped up in checking the flip-mat PDFs.

disposablewords fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 3, 2023

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

disposablewords posted:

In case it helps anyone make a decision, the overlap between this and the Strength of Thousands bundle last year is pretty light and mostly confined to the bottom tier - the core rulebook, Bestiary, Advanced Player's Guide, Lost Omens World Guide and Character Guide, and the character sheet pack. Unless I missed something, only six items shared between the two. (I say this as someone who bought the SoT bundle, redeemed it all, then sat on it until just recently and then this popped up. In case anyone else is like me.)

Point of order: this bundle doesn't include the Advanced Player's Guide (though the Lost Omens stuff obliquely references the new ancestries). No biggie since Nethys exists, but that may trigger some completionists.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The Strength of Thousands had the APG, but it did not have the Gamemastery Guide.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

If you're playing with Free Archetype and you were a Animal Companion Ranger and you took the Beastmaster dedication, would you get 2 animal companions at level 2? And would the level 4 Mature beastmaster companion make both of them mature?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

That's how I read it. You'll still be limited to one active companion at a time though.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

That's fine. It would give me mature animal companions 2 levels earlier and i could use class feats for other things.

Playing a strength based human half-orc ranger with a bastard sword and precision damage, with a boar animal companion for extra damage and HP on the field. Pretty fun so far (admittedly we haven't hit level 2 yet. Just finished the first chapter of Kingmaker tonight)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Kingmaker or Age of Ashes are the APs I'm interested in running (Kingmaker is what I'm learning towards, but the game I'm about to start running might segue into Age of Ashes easier). How are you liking it so far?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I want to run Kingmaker but I am waiting for the Foundry Module first.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Crafting in PF2e seems a bit flawed. First if all it's kind of weird that everything takes 4 days to make, regardless of what you're making. A +3 greater striking sword? 4 days. A steel shield? 4 days. 10 arrows? 4 days. Doesn't matter how good you are at crafting either. Always 4.

Second of all, the cost you pay seems weird too. Baseline it's just full price. Feels like there should be some sort of monetary benefit to crafting an item rather than just buying it.

Ah, but if course there is a system to solve both these things! Except it's not really worth bothering with. You can work "extra time" to spend more time on the item, and make it cheaper. But that's all you gain. You can't make the item any better or any faster. Extra time just saves you a tiny bit of material cost. And I do mean tiny.

If you're a level 5 expert crafter, you want to make a +1 armour, which is priced 160g. You put up 80g and spend 4 days. At this point you now have to spend a full day(!) to reduce the price by a mere 1g! A full 80 days extra, for 84 days total to reduce the price to 80g for the armor. Who's gonna do that?

I've heard this is all because it's supposed to be balanced around not breaking the economy, other Earn Income actions, and to avoid the madness of PF1e crafting. I've no experience with that. All I know it's that it seems kind of lackluster right now, and some of players were looking forward to crafting will probably be a bit disappointed.

The new book coming out soon apparently has some new crafting rules. Probably nothing massively different though.

Anyone have any opinions/experiences on crafting in a campaign? Anyone run with a house rule?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Just read the original post and it seems like a really fun system, I’ll definitely try it if there’s an opportunity at a con or something.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Rythian posted:

Anyone have any opinions/experiences on crafting in a campaign? Anyone run with a house rule?

The general vibe I get is that crafting is a headache and you either handwave it or go to a nearby city to get whatever you need crafted.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I've read that crafting is balanced to not be any better than just buying whatever it is that you want, to protect the in-game economy. So it's useful if you're, like, stuck in some weird dimension, but if you can go visit a big city between the delves it's not worth the bother.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Do big cities usually have all the magic items in large amounts? By level 4 you could have the magical crafting feat and get the formulas for 4 common level 1 or 2 magic items. Make hats of disguise for all your friends. What could your team do with 20 onyx dogs? Quantity has a quality all it's own. Or just healing potions, I guess.

I really like the idea of killing monsters, then skinning them and making them into magic armor or something. Oh you found an owlbear's gallbladder? Lucky, you can use one of those to ???

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

Do big cities usually have all the magic items in large amounts? By level 4 you could have the magical crafting feat and get the formulas for 4 common level 1 or 2 magic items. Make hats of disguise for all your friends. What could your team do with 20 onyx dogs? Quantity has a quality all it's own. Or just healing potions, I guess.

I really like the idea of killing monsters, then skinning them and making them into magic armor or something. Oh you found an owlbear's gallbladder? Lucky, you can use one of those to ???

At best crafting reduces the cost of something by 50% so you can't just make infinite things. PF2E assumes that you can pretty much buy any common magic item you want without any hunting for esoteric shops or whatever. The economy kind of breaks down if you give mid-level adventurers infinite downtime to just earn-an-income, but I guess the DM could just have bad guys kick in the door and steal your dog or whatever if the party decides to settle in for a life of doing performance checks for gold.

Battlezoo has a system for using monster parts to craft items, https://battlezoo.com/products/battlezoo-bestiary-for-foundry-vtt, but I haven't tried it. I'm thinking of running quest for the frozen flame with it though since I hear the loot in that AP is weird anyway.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

The Battlezoo Bestiary is a 3rd party product that has a rule system that replaces crafting and loot entirely with a way to turn dead monsters into customized gear. It's pretty dope and it has options for fully replacing money/loot or just partially for some items. I recommend it highly at least as something to look into.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Crafting is a day job check and makes the same money as repairing barrels and growing cabbage.

It’s balanced in the sense that it is pretty much totally worthless. it’s really bad and stupid

It’s only useful for repairing shields and other equipment

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

My understanding for crafting items is that 4 days is the baseline (and you pay half the price), and then you decide if you want the item finished now (you pay the rest of the full price) or you can basically make a downtime "do this for a living" check to take extra days to reduce the cost to as low as nothing else. So if you know you've got multiple weeks before your next adventure, you can handwave it as "you take the time you need to do it for half price" if all the rolling doesn't interest you and your table.

Crafting lets you say "we got magic items at home." And there's that trash goblin feat that lets you substitute garbage to reduce the number of days it takes to reduce the cost, in exchange for... reducing the value and making it look like trash, which is just funny.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 5, 2023

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Serf posted:

The Battlezoo Bestiary is a 3rd party product that has a rule system that replaces crafting and loot entirely with a way to turn dead monsters into customized gear. It's pretty dope and it has options for fully replacing money/loot or just partially for some items. I recommend it highly at least as something to look into.

Quoting this so I can look into it later.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

My understanding for crafting items is that 4 days is the baseline (and you pay half the price), and then you decide if you want the item finished now (you pay the rest of the full price) or you can basically make a downtime "do this for a living" check to take extra days to reduce the cost to as low as nothing else. So if you know you've got multiple weeks before your next adventure, you can handwave it as "you take the time you need to do it for half price" if all the rolling doesn't interest you and your table.

Crafting lets you say "we got magic items at home."

Yeah, but you'd also have to have the formula, so by the time you buy that if you're only making 1 you aren't even saving 50%. It really is useless, not as useless as crafting barrels which I'm pretty sure would earn you nothing, but I've had multiple characters attempt to focus on crafting in campaigns with relatively significant downtime and basically get nothing out of it if you run it RAW. Aside from the ability to repair the champion's shield in 6 seconds or whatever, which is handy, but you can definitely ignore all the actual feats for making items.

Basically it takes about 3 months to save 50% off an on level item if you succeed on 100% of your checks. For example, an armor potency rune is 160 gold, at level 5 you shave off 1 gp/day as an expert crafter, it costs 8gp for the formula, so at minimum you have to work 4(plus 4 days per failure on your check)+8 days to even break even over just buying it, then every day after that you save yourself 1gp, to a maximum of 82gp after 90 days. I guess if you crit succeeded you could do it twice as fast, but on a DC20 at level 5 with maximum crafting you'd need a natural 16 or better on your 1 roll. Of course if you crit fail your check you cost yourself 8 gold, then it's really taking a while to break even.

Treasure vault is supposed to have updated crafting rules, so maybe they'll be better.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Serf posted:

Battlezoo products are typically written by Paizo developers as side projects, so they're in this weird grey area of "3pp, but not really 3pp". If you have memories of bad, unbalanced 3pp stuff throwing a game out of whack, its a lot less likely here.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

M. Night Skymall posted:

Yeah, but you'd also have to have the formula, so by the time you buy that if you're only making 1 you aren't even saving 50%. It really is useless, not as useless as crafting barrels which I'm pretty sure would earn you nothing, but I've had multiple characters attempt to focus on crafting in campaigns with relatively significant downtime and basically get nothing out of it if you run it RAW. Aside from the ability to repair the champion's shield in 6 seconds or whatever, which is handy, but you can definitely ignore all the actual feats for making items.

Basically it takes about 3 months to save 50% off an on level item if you succeed on 100% of your checks. For example, an armor potency rune is 160 gold, at level 5 you shave off 1 gp/day as an expert crafter, it costs 8gp for the formula, so at minimum you have to work 4(plus 4 days per failure on your check)+8 days to even break even over just buying it, then every day after that you save yourself 1gp, to a maximum of 82gp after 90 days. I guess if you crit succeeded you could do it twice as fast, but on a DC20 at level 5 with maximum crafting you'd need a natural 16 or better on your 1 roll. Of course if you crit fail your check you cost yourself 8 gold, then it's really taking a while to break even.

Treasure vault is supposed to have updated crafting rules, so maybe they'll be better.

Yeah, RAW it seems like a headache and something they overtuned to make sure you couldn't just spam magical goods and gently caress up the loot economy.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
The alkenstar campaign hands out several hundred gold in crafting materials. You can either sell them for half value or make them into discounted stuff.

Seems like if you want crafting in a game GMs need to support it by giving out materials. It is easy to do, just give a % of the expected treasure per level as materials. Use a higher % the more important you want crafting to be.

I'm glad crafting isn't busted in this game. As someone who played a 3.x artificer that could turn a small bit of xp into huge amounts of money and items and completely break the game I never want see crafting better than adventuring for becoming more powerful again. It sucked.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
The only actual good crafting rules (first party, already published ones, anyway) are the rules for custom magic staves.

They should expand those to more custom items.

I suppose with the way property runes work, they kind of did for magic weapons too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

KPC_Mammon posted:

The alkenstar campaign hands out several hundred gold in crafting materials. You can either sell them for half value or make them into discounted stuff.

Seems like if you want crafting in a game GMs need to support it by giving out materials. It is easy to do, just give a % of the expected treasure per level as materials. Use a higher % the more important you want crafting to be.

I'm glad crafting isn't busted in this game. As someone who played a 3.x artificer that could turn a small bit of xp into huge amounts of money and items and completely break the game I never want see crafting better than adventuring for becoming more powerful again. It sucked.

“Crafting materials” is honestly such a lazy, insulting and garbage bandaid for a terrible crafting system lmao