Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

General Battuta posted:

I just read The Invincible by Lem. It was pretty good, I loved his style, but it kinda felt like it stopped just when it really got going.

I also read The Master and Margarita recently, the literary plaudits had me expecting very serious Russian literature but there's actually a prolonged shootout between the police and Satan's cat???

e: if you are like me you probably go into the novel thinking that the Master is Satan, but no, he is an unrelated Master and not even evil

I adore the Pontius Pilate sections, the language is just so beautiful and crisp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I started reading The Quantum Thief and now the concept of "Combat Autism" is going to be stuck in my brain a while. Someone wrote that, they thought it was a good idea to put in a story.

I'm not going to stop reading it or anything, but now it's one of those phrases lodged in my brain like a bit of beef jerky in my teeth.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It’s no doubt a tribute to the foreign art of Japanese anime. Ghosts in shells and so forth.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

General Battuta posted:

I just read The Invincible by Lem. It was pretty good, I loved his style, but it kinda felt like it stopped just when it really got going.

I also read The Master and Margarita recently, the literary plaudits had me expecting very serious Russian literature but there's actually a prolonged shootout between the police and Satan's cat???

e: if you are like me you probably go into the novel thinking that the Master is Satan, but no, he is an unrelated Master and not even evil

The Master and Margarita is so good, it may be the only Russian novel I wanna read multiple translations of

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Stuporstar posted:

The Master and Margarita is so good, it may be the only Russian novel I wanna read multiple translations of

The ending had me absolutely bawling just trying to walk someone through what happened it's so beautiful. And then you walk back a few scenes and Satan is just chilling on a rooftop getting so frustrated with some dude all he can manage to say is "You're stupid." Incredible book.

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

What’s the best historical fantasy that isn’t by GGK?

Kate Heartfield's recent release, The Embroidered Book, was really good.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Aubrey/Maturin.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Oh yeah the Long Ships was cool as gently caress too

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

General Battuta posted:

I loved how many times Satan's cat does something with such aplomb that Everybody Claps.

SimonChris posted:

War & Peace starts with a group of students getting drunk, tying a police office to a bear, and chasing it into the Moyka river, so it swims around the river with the policeman on its back. I don't know how Russian literature got this reputation of being all gloomy and serious when it is actually full of goofy slapstick humor.

I've read a handful of the big Russian Lit classics but hadn't gotten to War and Peace yet and this alone really makes me want to finally get to it. There really are a lot more jokes in them than you'd think! Especially slapstick and dark humor.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Latro, Bridge of Birds (is this historical fantasy? eh close enough), Travel Light, Okla Hannali, Lyonesse

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

DurianGray posted:

I've read some really good stuff lately, like . . . The Master and Margarita

Now there is a book filled with enough allegory and symbolism to kill a horse. Great fuckin' book, though.

DurianGray posted:

I've read a handful of the big Russian Lit classics but hadn't gotten to War and Peace yet and this alone really makes me want to finally get to it. There really are a lot more jokes in them than you'd think! Especially slapstick and dark humor.

War and Peace is dope as hell. So many great moments. Bolkonsky after Austerlitz is one of my favorite chapters of anything. Epic fantasy in the vein of ASOIAF and Wheel of Time owe a lot to that book in the sheer scope that they're trying to portray. War and Peace also reminds me of Moby Dick. Both are considered stodgy, longwinded doorstoppers when they're really goddamned exciting. Moby Dick is like tiny babby to War and Peace - the unabridged audiobook of the former is about 20 hours while the latter is 60... and that's including the quarter of Moby Dick taken up by interludes about the technical process of whaling and how he thinks whales are fish even though the natural scientists say they're mammals.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 2, 2023

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

habeasdorkus posted:

Now there is a book filled with enough allegory and symbolism to kill a horse. Great fuckin' book, though.

War and Peace is dope as hell. So many great moments. Bolkonsky after Austerlitz is one of my favorite chapters of anything. Epic fantasy in the vein of ASOIAF and Wheel of Time owe a lot to that book in the sheer scope that they're trying to portray. War and Peace also reminds me of Moby Dick. Both are considered stodgy, longwinded doorstoppers when they're really goddamned exciting. Moby Dick is like tiny babby to War and Peace - the unabridged audiobook of the former is about 20 hours while the latter is 60... and that's including the quarter of Moby Dick taken up by interludes about the technical process of whaling and how he thinks whales are fish even though the natural scientists say they're mammals.

Actually, I think you'll find that whales are books.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

habeasdorkus posted:

Moby Dick is one of my favorite books so this is just sweetening the prospect of reading War and Peace for me even more.

John Lee posted:

Actually, I think you'll find that whales are books.

Yes.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kalman posted:

Aubrey/Maturin.

Good catch! That series really is amazing. You've got a historically accurate period setting, really solid adventures and battles based on real events, and a ton of interesting characters with real arcs. It is overtly technical about sailing ships, but if anything is actually important, someone will explain it to the doctor. And there are twenty books, and to top it off the audio books are extremely highly regarded. If you want historical fiction or just good, solid adventure/military fiction, you'd be hard pressed to find better.

I binge read them a few years ago and am about due to go back through them.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

If you want inscrutably scottish historical fiction, though, you should aim at Dunnett's Lymond books. They're excellent, but I wouldn't say anything is explained, you just kind of have to pick up who's who and why people are fighting over what little hill in Scotland as you go along.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

habeasdorkus posted:

Moby Dick is like tiny babby to War and Peace - the unabridged audiobook of the former is about 20 hours while the latter is 60... and that's including the quarter of Moby Dick taken up by interludes about the technical process of whaling and how he thinks whales are fish even though the natural scientists say they're mammals.

On that note, is there any especially good audiobook Moby Dick? I've always wanted to read it, but ideally I'd have it growled directly into my ears by some kind of grizzled old seaman, a la Willem Dafoe in The Lighthouse.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

I was looking back at what I finished in 2022 and I read some good books. Thanks, thread!

I read Murderbot 1, 3, and 4. Somehow I never bought 2? I can't justify the price, so I'll wait until the rest go on sale but I like the stories so far. Blacktongue Thief was really good fantasy. I don't usually go for hard fantasy. I read this based on how much I like Between Two Fires and it paid off. The first Fifteen Lives of Harry August was interesting and fun. The City and the City hit me like Piranessi did the prior year. It felt like a basic story with something heavier layered just below the surface. I can still visualize certain things and scenes clearly. Consider Phlebas and Pushing Ice were ok. Good sci-fi, both different, but I don't know if I'll go back for more of either. The Girl with All the Gifts was good. I should really watch the movie to compare. The Last Astronaut felt uneven to me. I liked the general story but it felt forced getting the specific characters into the story. I finished Origin Complex right at the end of the year. Absolutely loved it. Steel Frame is a favorite of mine. This felt original enough to stand on it's own in the world of the first book without rehashing the story. Definitely looking forward to more.

I read some non-sci-fi/fantasy too. Notably the first two Aubrey & Maturin books on the thread's rec. Just wonderful. I have a few more queued up to mix in.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

cptn_dr posted:

On that note, is there any especially good audiobook Moby Dick? I've always wanted to read it, but ideally I'd have it growled directly into my ears by some kind of grizzled old seaman, a la Willem Dafoe in The Lighthouse.

The Frank Muller read is a genuine work of art. People also praise the Anthony Heald read, but I can't comment. Find samples of both and pick your favorite (or whatever one is available at your library)

There's also a gimmicky version where each chapter is read by a different person. Some are famous actors, most are writers and musicians. I got a few chapters in and it was actually pretty compelling and not as distracting as I thought it'd be. It's free

https://www.mobydickbigread.com/

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
David Cameron? Surely not the PM?

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

FPyat posted:

David Cameron? Surely not the PM?

Yeah, the PM. It's a wild list of people, hard to imagine many other projects tying together the likes of Tilda Swinton, David Cameron, China Mieville, John Waters, David Attenborough, and Mary Oliver lol

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Doobie Keebler posted:

Consider Phlebas and Pushing Ice were ok. Good sci-fi, both different, but I don't know if I'll go back for more of either.

If Consider Phlebas is the only Culture book you've read, I will say it's totally different from the rest of them. I read it first and really didn't jive with it, but then a friend suggested I try out Surface Detail (it's about a war over whether digital hells for dead people's digitized conciousnesses should exist or not) and I really enjoyed it. Now I'm on Player of Games and enjoying it a lot, too.

I am glad I didn't just give up after Phlebas, basically, because I almost did. It could be worth trying a different one.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
As we get off the classic lit segue, the last thing I'll say about Moby Dick is that the description of chowder in Chapter 15 always makes me hungry whenever I think about it.

I DNF Consider Phlebas because I lost my copy of the book and bounced off of Player of Games a few years ago. I should give it another try, Banks should be right up my alley.but he just hasn't clicked for me yet.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

General Battuta posted:

I can't believe I'm saying this but aside from 'phonies' the one part I remember is the explanation of the title. There's a guy who catches people, in the rye.

the only part I've ever remembered is the part that gets quoted in the laughing man arc of Stand Alone Complex lol

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Yeah, The Culture series is definitely one of the series' that gets better with the later books; Excession is probably what I'd consider the peak, but it's only by a hair's breadth.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Recently read Dawnhounds and really enjoyed it. Grizzled cop / veteran was a standout character for me.

Finally read Piranesi and didn't like it. Probably a victim of its own hype to me. I believe I can see why people enjoy it.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's not actually fantasy, but Michael Chabon's The Gentlemen of the Road is an incredible and beautifully written historical swords and sandals adventure.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Copernic posted:

This treats reading like a search-and-find for various literary devices and is tedious. My 4th grader has to circle the nouns and verbs on his worksheets, and it is still that, except you are now supposed to find metaphors and allusions. The educational intent seems to be to reveal the inner workings of great literature, like opening the back of a clock, so you can marvel at the complexity. But whatever this is, it is alien to why the author wrote the book and why the reader reads it. Certainly it is not entertaining. It also devalues the plot, the characters, the setting, and the overall intended effect. Like reading Steinbeck for his use of color metaphors, and failing entirely to mention the labor history of the United States. It tends to treat literature as practically gnostic. Books turn into puzzles that must be thoroughly examined to reveal their many secrets. The lesson learned is that books are hard and unrewarding absent unstinting effort and multiple close reads. It isn't even accurate to college-level literary criticism, which correctly treats this kind of analytics as mere technical analysis.

This type of 'books as a math problem' analytics seems to be restricted to a certain type of high school teacher. I don't think its even that common in high school. But its unfortunate when it appears.

I like this, it's hitting the marks for the way literature was taught in my grade schools and it has been a long road to get toward being able to read and enjoy more literary works. It may be the reason why some of my friends don't read at all, and when they do it must be something "productive", never for enjoyment (that's for videogames and tv). I've remarked to one before "the school system failed us" and I still cant get them to try some easy fun fantasy novel that they would enjoy if they gave it a chance.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

silvergoose posted:

If you want inscrutably scottish historical fiction, though, you should aim at Dunnett's Lymond books. They're excellent, but I wouldn't say anything is explained, you just kind of have to pick up who's who and why people are fighting over what little hill in Scotland as you go along.

For a different and kind of hosed up historical series there's also The Flashman Papers

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Everyone posted:

For a different and kind of hosed up historical series there's also The Flashman Papers

There's an on-again/off-again Let's Read going. The protagonist is an absolute piece of poo poo even by the standards of his time, but the books look great.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3894423

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

mllaneza posted:

There's an on-again/off-again Let's Read going. The protagonist is an absolute piece of poo poo even by the standards of his time, but the books look great.

I listened to the bad books for bad people episode on one of those. Interesting but doesn't make me want to read it. https://badbooksbadpeople.com/episode-57-flash-for-freedom-a-lovable-rogue

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

DurianGray posted:

If Consider Phlebas is the only Culture book you've read, I will say it's totally different from the rest of them. I read it first and really didn't jive with it, but then a friend suggested I try out Surface Detail (it's about a war over whether digital hells for dead people's digitized conciousnesses should exist or not) and I really enjoyed it. Now I'm on Player of Games and enjoying it a lot, too.

I am glad I didn't just give up after Phlebas, basically, because I almost did. It could be worth trying a different one.

I think you’ve swayed me to try another Culture book. A lot of people like them so it deserves another chance.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Doobie Keebler posted:

I think you’ve swayed me to try another Culture book. A lot of people like them so it deserves another chance.
If the Minds aspect of Surface Detail interest you, Excession should be your next stop.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

mllaneza posted:

The protagonist is a piece of poo poo but he's an honest-to-the-reader piece of poo poo and his take on British colonialism, especially in the early books has a beautifully vicious clarity to it.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

If the Minds aspect of Surface Detail interest you, Excession should be your next stop.

I finished but didn’t really enjoy Excession when I read it, but after a friend saying it was their favourite I tried again (after finishing the rest of the series) and really enjoyed it the second time. I think I struggled to keep all the names and groups of the ships straight the first time.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Destroyenator posted:

I finished but didn’t really enjoy Excession when I read it, but after a friend saying it was their favourite I tried again (after finishing the rest of the series) and really enjoyed it the second time. I think I struggled to keep all the names and groups of the ships straight the first time.
Oh yeah, that was a bit of an up-hill walk for me with the audiobook as well.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Everyone posted:

The protagonist is a piece of poo poo but he's an honest-to-the-reader piece of poo poo and his take on British colonialism, especially in the early books has a beautifully vicious clarity to it.

the landscape and environment writing is incredibly good, too. Fraser can paint a picture so goddam well.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Everyone posted:

well, mostly honest. think he tells the reader he only does the one rape.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black #2) by Craig Schaefer - $2.49
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017RBIZJ2/

edit:
The Ruin of Angels (Craft Sequence #6) by Max Gladstone - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MUSGCUG/

pradmer fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 3, 2023

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Finishing up the audio version of Blindspot by Peter Watts. For anybody else who got lost during the thick "nature of consciousness" monologues in the paperback, the audio format is a whole lot easier to keep pace with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Destroyenator posted:

Yeah, I enjoyed it as well. but was very much lost with names/who's who. Didn't help I read it in bursts. Look to Windward also had a neat Mind in it with an interesting backstory that's tied in with Consider Phlebas.

Matter was a fun romp but not as much involvement in places actually ran by the Culture; just now starting The Hydrogen Sonata.