Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

Nordick posted:

Bears.

This game needs bears.

Bears!

Ravenfood posted:

Ocean.

Imo, that should easily take precedent if they have any ideas on it at all.

Yes! Once the sea serpent switches from intimidating boat wrecker to bonus food source, we need some other great big kraken-esque nasty rising from the depths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
While I think Plains is the most complete biome already by a long shot, I would like to see them add a lox hide light or medium set. They've gone back to add alternate sets for mountain and swamp, I could easily see the same thing happen in meadows and plains (and would welcome it). Lox hides run out of usefulness extremely fast compared to every other animal skin as well.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

to be honest the game is long enough that i don't want more things that can sink a boat full of cargo and then require a big waste of time to get it all back. all it would do is just further encourage people not to engage with that and always just move metal between game worlds.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I find mountain to be my least liked biome.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

to be honest the game is long enough that i don't want more things that can sink a boat full of cargo and then require a big waste of time to get it all back. all it would do is just further encourage people not to engage with that and always just move metal between game worlds.
My hope for the ocean wouldn't be to simply add more monsters, but to add more to do while sailing (and more ways to sail better).

It's effectively a biome you've conquered by the early iron age or mid bronze age depending on whether you want a karve or longboat, and yet you have to interact with it for the rest of the game in ways you really don't for anything else except maybe iron.

Also, terrain restoration is a pain. I picked poorly for my plains base location aesthetically and think I bit off more than I can chew. I have a huge longhouse, just built some stone quays and a workshop/forge/smelting area with room to expand, and a lox pen I need to work with more. I also somehow found myself with both too much land and not enough somehow. I like the shape of the buildings, but some of the steeper cliffs just have really jagged edges I can't smooth out. Also, it's a huge area to wall off. Most of my earlier bases have largely been a few relatively compact buildings close together and easily walled, so this more sprawling area is giving me some planning issues. (Planning on an eventual inn for aesthetics and a farming area too.

Also, question on terraforming: if I raise and then lower land back to where it was, that still adds to the lag, right?

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 2, 2023

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I think they mostly sorted terrain related lag many patches ago

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm not sure meadows needs a secondary set since you don't/shouldn't spend a ton of time in that tier, but I do think it'd be cool for plains to have a second set. I like the idea of each tier/biome having a light and heavy set of armor, though, I think they should consider giving both sets of armor set bonuses.

Also, as I've complained before, Troll and Root sort of create a precedent of the set material being farmable through fighting - the fenris set breaks that pattern, and it's kind of a bummer that set can be a hassle to acquire (also that Ulvs and Fenrings don't drop anything particularly useful/unique.)

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
There is a mod called Terrain Reset that makes terrain restoration very easy.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

There is a mod called Terrain Reset that makes terrain restoration very easy.

Nice, thanks. I'm planning on using plant anything for some more decoration too.

Also the meadows does have two sets: rags and leather. If they add a rag helmet/hood/hat and tweak the movespeeds that's an easy set of light/heavy armor right off.

A lox leather armor set sounds fun though too.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Oxyclean posted:

I'm not sure meadows needs a secondary set since you don't/shouldn't spend a ton of time in that tier, but I do think it'd be cool for plains to have a second set. I like the idea of each tier/biome having a light and heavy set of armor, though, I think they should consider giving both sets of armor set bonuses.

Also, as I've complained before, Troll and Root sort of create a precedent of the set material being farmable through fighting - the fenris set breaks that pattern, and it's kind of a bummer that set can be a hassle to acquire (also that Ulvs and Fenrings don't drop anything particularly useful/unique.)

I like the way the armor sets work: heavy has more armor value, light has a movement bonus, and magic regens magic. It's simple and it lets you mix/match to suit your playstyle, kind of like the weapons do.

For Ocean upgrades, that's something I would love to see- along with more to do, certain ship upgrades that would make it faster/more durable/more storage/etc. Some of the most epic parts of the game happen when you're sailing and when you arrive at a new land to build a new base.

I also wish there was some kind of base defensive unit like the ballista that would show up earlier on. The spike walls are ok, and earth walls/pits are fine, but maybe something ranged would be good. I love the idea of fighting off an invasion from the walls of your base, and you can't really do that right now, at least in the early game.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I could see wanting to flush out the empty spaces as soon as possible because as it stands like 15 to 20% of the map just basically doesn't exist. I have to imagine the ocean biome isn't going to feature a lot of permanent structures so it would be easy to spawn in whatever they plan on adding to an existing map without issues like prior exploration.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

What about diving that would be cool. Maybe eat some sea weed so you can breathe underwater

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Making mountain paths and forts is really fun, and it kinda sucks that you basically get no reuse out of any of it. Like, I have a cool little ring tower that I built on top of an abandoned kiva, and there’s a cart track running up to it from my port, and it’s all very picturesque, and I will never go back there because all the silver is gone.

…I didn’t end up making very good use of that cart track anyway. I did run the cart up the mountain on it, which of course is not strictly necessary, but whatever. I was all done with the second mine on that mountain and ready to take the path back, and then I did a final pass with Wishbone and found a third secret. That just turned out to be bones (:argh:), but I stupidly took my cart over there before I realized that, and there was a terrible logistics event trying to get back. So I had to drag my cart through a couple miles of virgin forest instead of using my lovely mountain path.

Last bit of diary for the day is that I was running low on iron, so I went back to the swamp and collected a million iron. Hopefully I’m set for now. Smelting is probably the most boring part of the game for me right now, I always come back with like 200 unprocessed ore, and even with two smelters running it’s just annoyingly slow.

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 2, 2023

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
How's your surtling core supply? I generally run 5-6 smelters when I come back with a ore load.

I'll generally tear down all but one of them after the big load is processed and stash the mats for the next load.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

When I find a surtling spawner in the swamp, I always swing by in and out of the swamp to pick up cores and charcoal

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Is there any way to get the coordinates of player bases/structures in a world file?

I built this massive hidden town in an old map that we used to play with some friends in a dedicated server. I have the map's backup but I can't for the life of me find the drat place, even flying around with debugmode and exploremap. This was about a year ago.

I have some vague idea of of the direction from spawn and the area's topography but I can't really find a matching place in the map converted to the Mistlands Update. It shouldn't just eat explored and built areas right? I mean I don't think it is because I can see old Mistlands (huge trees and spiderwebs) on the areas where I explored pre-update so it shouldn't eat meadows filled with structures.

https://valheim-map.world/ only shows the default world a seed generates, but it doesn't actually load your save file.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
You can upload your actual world there. It helps if you made the world along time ago. Takes awhile though.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I’ve got a bunch of smelters at different bases I should consolidate at home the next time I’ve got a big batch. I’ll need to push my walls out to make space for them, though.

Do you all just break them down to make coal between smelting sessions? I guess I could go clear cut some forests while waiting for that.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

rjmccall posted:

Yeah, I’ve got a bunch of smelters at different bases I should consolidate at home the next time I’ve got a big batch. I’ll need to push my walls out to make space for them, though.

Do you all just break them down to make coal between smelting sessions? I guess I could go clear cut some forests while waiting for that.

I usually have enough cores that I can run a bunch of kilns either before or during the smelting. It's a bit of a runaround doing it simultaneously but with enough smelters and kilns you can power through a couple hundred ore pretty quick.

I typically just flatten some random bit of land next to my base and work there. No need to expand the base itself if I'm going to rip it down right away.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

rjmccall posted:

I mean if you've been to the swamp you should probably have an overwhelming surplus of Surtling Cores just from geysers?

But if I'm waiting for stuff to smelt I usually just go hope through a portal and go accumulate stone or something, there's no need to wait near the smelters for them to work.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

rjmccall posted:

I built a gigantic structure on the water near where I farm my trees with six coal furnaces all shunted into three stylized chimneys.

I kind of wish there was an option with cores to make a permanent fuel for fireplaces or ovens or whatever.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
I'd like to see bears (ursa) in the black forest, and maybe a stronger version in the mountain biome. Bear capes could be a heavy armor version of the regular capes: higher armor value, but with a small movement penalty. And of course, bear rugs!

Ocean biome could also use some love. Sirens, harpies, etc.

Mainly though, each biome could use more points of interest. You spend so much of the game running that it gets boring once you get used to the pretty vistas.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Sure, content and bears, but my ideal DLC would be adding friendly dwarves that move into vacant buildings in your village and automate farming for you. Currently, farming is the exact same grind in mistlands as it was in meadows.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I do feel they have to be careful about developing the ocean biome. It already sucks really hard to lose your corpse in the Mistlands until you know what you are doing. Now imagine losing a ship and not being able to recover your body unless you have the mats for another boat…

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Firebert posted:

I do feel they have to be careful about developing the ocean biome. It already sucks really hard to lose your corpse in the Mistlands until you know what you are doing. Now imagine losing a ship and not being able to recover your body unless you have the mats for another boat…

Not really much different than dying anywhere inconvenient...in a swamp tomb next to a corpse pile, up on a mountain and you don't have spare warm clothes, or near a tar pit.

They could probably just have your corpse wash up on a shore somewhere. Of course, losing those materials for the ship sucks, especially early on. I raised all the land in my harbor to recover the iron nails once

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Adding enemies would be a way to make the ocean more active but instead of more danger maybe also just more things to do? Some form of fishing unique to the ocean, more kinds of leviathans with different resources, I dunno weird ghost islands that only stay solid for a short time before vanishing beneath the water again. Pipe dream stuff because I have no idea what is even technically possible. There can just be so much time to kill while sailing.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Tonight, a dragon thoroughly kicked my rear end.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Oh my! A staff of Embers in a Dragur village is like Godzilla in Tokyo!

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I'd like to see them add currents to ocean water as just another way to engage with the actual sailing mechanics, which IMO is one of the most fun parts of the game. But other than that yeah, more points of interest and more enemies would be cool

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
used my first and hopefully last dev command last night. Was finding Yag simply unfun as almighty gently caress. Deer boss is the only one I actually enjoyed.

Firebert posted:

While I think Plains is the most complete biome already by a long shot,

Man I could not possibly disagree more strongly.
As far as completeness: swamp >>>>>>>>>>>>plains.
More varied entities
More challenging terrain
More challenging atmospheric effect
Wraiths at night
Actual dungeons

Plains are wide open spaces with virtually nothing of value between the villages.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 3, 2023

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

johnny park posted:

I'd like to see them add currents to ocean water as just another way to engage with the actual sailing mechanics, which IMO is one of the most fun parts of the game. But other than that yeah, more points of interest and more enemies would be cool

I just set sail for the first time, it’s a ton of fun! Surprised they even considered tacking, let alone added it in.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Hasselblad posted:

used my first and hopefully last dev command last night. Was finding Yag simply unfun as almighty gently caress. Deer boss is the only one I actually enjoyed.

Having played mostly with a group and some solo, the bosses just aren't fun solo.

As for "what to add next" they should just buy some of the more impressive mods, QA them, and add them as updates. People have added orcas, crocs (orcas are tameable and you can ride them!), dolphins, turtles, etc. to the ocean/coasts. Some of the mods people have come up with are crazy good- mobile workbenches/forges/stonecutters as carts that can be dragged to sites, hell- one guy is basically redoing the whole game with customized cave encounters for necks / boars / skeletons, etc. and redoing each biome, adding tons of extra mats and creatures to interact with.

Sky's the limit. Instead I think we're just going to get another biome where the main gameplay loop is just jumping around lovely terrain waiting for stamina to regen so you can jump some more.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 3, 2023

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
All of that sounds cool and good. Do you have the names of those mods or links to a place I can find them? Are they just on Nexus?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Icon Of Sin posted:

I just set sail for the first time, it’s a ton of fun! Surprised they even considered tacking, let alone added it in.

yeah my buddy and I raced in high school and now we play valheim together and end up racing in karve boats

or if its just me driving
- point upwind more!
- but i'm on a broad reach!

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Trivia posted:

All of that sounds cool and good. Do you have the names of those mods or links to a place I can find them? Are they just on Nexus?

Sure.

Sea Animals
Odin's Horses
Crafty Carts

For the total remake, look up "Krumpac Server Mod Valheim" and he has a Patreon where you pay a small charge to get access to his mods. I think it's worth it because it's almost a complete overhaul of the game but ymmv.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Having played mostly with a group and some solo, the bosses just aren't fun solo.

Yag is the worst, as despite him/it standing in one place the entire time, I would run out of STA just trying to get around him to try to smack him from behind. It basically felt like rather than finesse, it simply required having fully upgraded gear so you could soak the damage. I rather prefer nimble jabbing and avoiding damage, but to avoid the damage it does you had to get so far from it that your stamina was gone by the time you got back to stabbing range. Frustration without an ounce of fun.

I like the idea of those and other mods, and much like minecraft appreciate that they are NOT incorporated into the stock game. I like to play through at least once as the devs intended, and then have fun with everything folks thought up that can be modded.

I also agree with the fellow above who loves sailing. It really is a fun activity despite acknowledging that it's not for everyone. poo poo, I would appreciate a "boss" in the form of a storm that you have to survive in your ship.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 4, 2023

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
The weakness of the mage makes it fun still even in the earlier biomes

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Sure.

Sea Animals
Odin's Horses
Crafty Carts

For the total remake, look up "Krumpac Server Mod Valheim" and he has a Patreon where you pay a small charge to get access to his mods. I think it's worth it because it's almost a complete overhaul of the game but ymmv.

Sheeeiiiiit, that Krumpac mod looks awesome.

Thanks!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Did they buff Yag at some point? I remember him being trivial, you could face-tank him if you wanted to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

PittTheElder posted:

Did they buff Yag at some point? I remember him being trivial, you could face-tank him if you wanted to

Face tanking Yag will get you killed in a hurry for like, at least three different reasons. So I'm gonna go with yes.