Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
It's a weird take I know but I think Mythic Quest would be better without Rob in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Overall the Mythic Quest finale was ok and I thought the Dana side was very promising but jesus the way the Ian/Poppy stuff ended up was almost an insult and just made their entire storyline this season a pointless waste of time. Plus lmao @ the movie just getting cancelled between episodes for reasons never stated before in the season

there were some posts on reddit saying that rob apparently wouldn't agree to s3 without s4 being ordered as well so lmao that he talked them into that and then dumped this uneven turd of a season into the world

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, I thought the Poppy/Ian reconciliation in the finale was touching but it also has kind of been done already last season and really does just basically reset them to where they were at the end of season 2.

There were some good bits in this season but it absolutely was a few steps down from the first two and bumpy as hell.

Anyway, really looking forward to Servant's return next week!

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I binged through a few more seasons of Apple TV shows over the last few weeks.

Severence
I knew absolutely nothing about this going in, other than it was getting a lot of buzz emmy nods. It quickly became my favorite TV show of the year. There is so much about this show that should not work, but does. It feels like the writers are walking a tight rope and I have no idea if they can pull off a season 2 of similar quality, but goddamn that season finale was so good. I can't wait for more.

For all Mankind Season 3
This was my favorite show in Apple TV...but, oofff, season 3 just doubled down on the melodrama that began ramping up in season 2. This would be fine, except it feels like the writers are bored with the space narrative (somehow a narrative involving a three-way space race to Mars is not exciting enough by itself??) and also they are not happy with just one or two melodrama subplots, but need to have half a dozen or so with ever silly contrivances to keep them going. The series nearly lost me with North Korea lands first on Mars! for the lolz!! and Kelly gets knocked up! Uh oh her Cosmonaut lover dies. Ok now we need to rescue her by by sling-shooting her heavily pregnant body into Orbit ala The Martian?

I hope if there is a season 4, it goes deep into the 2020s and we get a new set of characters and basically a soft-reboot of the series.

Mystic Quest Season 3

Season 3 felt like a step back. I still like the characters, and I was entertained, but I never really found the season to be...funny? The end of season 3 basically resets everything back to the start of the series which, ok. Losing F. Murray Abraham
was a bigger blow than I thought it would be. Also, I'm starting to grow tired of the Poppy/Ian dynamic it doesn't seem to ever go anywhere. I'm not asking for a love plot or anything just...something other than the two of them bickering for an entire season only to make up at the end.

Next up, I'm going to see about binging all three seasons of See. Trying is also on my watchlist.

*edit*

George H.W. oval office posted:

The one off flash back episodes for MQ continue to be the best episodes each season. They absolutely nailed the casting for young Poppy.

Yea they have been my favorite episodes of the series. Though tonally they are a bit jarring because they are much more dramatic. I remember when I saw the first flashback episode in season 1 I was confused at first, wondering if I had accidentally started watching a different show.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 7, 2023

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hello I agree with every single thing you just said

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I must admit in Mythic Quest it felt weird that they killed off C.W. and didn’t have Rachel step up as the new writer, but I guess they’re leaving it for after she quits being the homie.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

The highs were real nice for MQ and the lows were snooze-worthy but at least I'm not, like, offended by how bad the writing gets. I've watched enough bad television to know when a show is trying and failing vs just flailing around and MQ at least seems to be trying. No reason to stop watching now but it does ache a bit when the acting is outpacing the writing by a mile. I'm curious to see Charlotte Nicdao in other stuff because she's almost too perfect as Poppy.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

A year before MQ came out she was in a YouTube series called Content that was really good. Worth a watch!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsPVOdZ3LN6c966JDLaeWqow8e0OjRvIs

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Chairman Capone posted:

A year before MQ came out she was in a YouTube series called Content that was really good. Worth a watch!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsPVOdZ3LN6c966JDLaeWqow8e0OjRvIs
Jesus that car flip scene was done really well for some silly portrait mode sorta-TV series. I wanna see how they filmed that.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

We got rid of Apple again. I never could get myself to watch Mosquito Coast, despite loving Justin Thoreaux. Did I miss much?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

It’s been a dearth of good content for quite a while, aside from Slow Horses

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I signed up for severance and was super positive on Apple TV out of the gate, but cancelled recently when I realized I hadn't watched anything on it in months. It seems fine for the price but nowhere near worth keeping year round atm. I'll resub when the next season of severance airs.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Essex Serpent and Prehistoric Planet over the summer were good.

Season 3 of Mythic Quest just ended, which had a few good episodes but unfortunately was really not up to the previous two seasons.

The fourth and final season of Servant started today, haven't watched it yet but looking forward to it.

I still need to finish season 3 of For All Mankind and See.

Hello Tomorrow starts February 17 and looks like it could be good.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Bad Sisters is great too.

I'll probably resubscribe when Ted Lasso, Bad Sisters and Severence get their new seasons.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Physical is also very good

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Don't forget Earth at Night and Tiny World!

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Does Apple TV do like zero advertising/marketing for their movies/shows until like a month or less before release?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Gresh posted:

Does Apple TV do like zero advertising/marketing for their movies/shows until like a month or less before release?

They didn’t advertise Severance at all until the series was finished. I don’t think they expected it to be as big of a hit as it was.

Dan
Nov 26, 2002

Victim of reality
Apple seems to just be doing a terrible job of marketing their exclusives to normies. My parents had the free several months TV+ sub from some device purchase, and had watched a couple of things on the iPad. When I visited, I showed them that they could login on their Chromecast with Android TV (or whatever that device is called this week) and watch Ted Lasso, For all Mankind etc on their living room TV instead.

But the Apple TV+ android tv app was confusing. It was just filled with pay per view movies and tv shows that you have to purchase to watch, all just mixed in with the apple original content, with no obvious way of filtering onlythe free stuff. Parents couldn't be bothered trying to figure out what was free or not, so just gave up on it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apple TV+ certainly has a niche, like I would 100% pick this out as one of their shows, which is somehow on its third season.

quote:

Descend into the world of true-crime podcasts. This NAACP Image Award–winning drama stars Octavia Spencer as a podcaster who risks everything—including her life—to pursue truth and justice.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That is conceptually one of the worst things I have ever heard.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Hi All. Just popping in to the general TV threads to make you aware that the Annual TVIV Best of the Year poll is currently open. If you've watched TV over the last year and would like to let people know what you've been watching, please drop by the thread and share.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020189

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyPx64LjdJM

For All Mankind meets Fallout meets Glengarry Glen Ross?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Chairman Capone posted:

Season 3 of Mythic Quest just ended, which had a few good episodes but unfortunately was really not up to the previous two seasons.

The fourth and final season of Servant started today, haven't watched it yet but looking forward to it.
Watched the opening eps of s4 Servant and they were pretty darn good. Looks like we're getting more of that cult coming for Leanne, which iirc she pretty much expected all of s3 but it just never happened, and we're ramping up the negative possibly apocalyptic sides of what happens if she disobeys her orders

Mythic Quest this season sucked, yeah. The flashback Poppy meets Iain episode was great but I really wasn't feeling anything else they did. I guess Iain and poppy's new office design was kind of funny.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Fast Luck posted:

Watched the opening eps of s4 Servant and they were pretty darn good. Looks like we're getting more of that cult coming for Leanne, which iirc she pretty much expected all of s3 but it just never happened, and we're ramping up the negative possibly apocalyptic sides of what happens if she disobeys her orders

Mythic Quest this season sucked, yeah. The flashback Poppy meets Iain episode was great but I really wasn't feeling anything else they did. I guess Iain and poppy's new office design was kind of funny.

The first two episodes of Servant were really good, yeah. I know saying "this is a show where the plot is kind of unimportant" seems like a backhanded compliment, but I think Servant is a great example of how to do that right, every episode is almost entirely about atmosphere, aesthetics, and acting (AAA episodes, you might say) and carries each of those off so well that, if the show faltered even a bit in one of those categories, I would be annoyed at how little the plot makes sense (or progresses). But the show is just so strong on all of those. I feel like having a more developed plot would actually hinder the show.

Zero One posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyPx64LjdJM

For All Mankind meets Fallout meets Glengarry Glen Ross?

Really looking forward to this, hope it doesn't disappoint.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Leanne/Dorothy stuff in Servant s4 is largely a rehash of s3 so far but the cult stuff is ramping up nicely

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

There was a lot wrong with Mythic Quest Season 3 but losing F. Murray Abraham is up there

https://www.npr.org/2023/01/24/1150955169/white-lotus-f-murray-abraham-oscar-academy-awards-amadeus

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm really looking forward to checking out Shrinking when it drops tonight. I know nothing about it other than it is a comedy with Jason Segel and Harrison Ford. Ford barely works, so if he found it interesting enough to do, I'm willing to give it my time as well

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I was excited about Shrinking, and I’m not saying that I’ll write it off entirely… but the trailer was not great and it’s definitely fallen on my priority list.

https://youtu.be/YjHfjQDWl1A

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am checking it out purely because I loved Dispatches from Elsewhere.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Good Servant this week, season’s picking up

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

I made a thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4022692

I love the nurse couple, they own. Particularly the shorter one, she has some great facial expressions.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Oh wow, a shrink whose life is more of a wreck than his patients'?

How do they think of this stuff?

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Okay, so Shrinking isn't an original premise, but I just finished the first episode and, like Ted Lasso, it's loveable. Not to mention it's all about the actors working with a good script. I found myself laughing a ton, while rolling my eyes and wincing at the unethical poo poo. Segel and Ford are stand-outs, with Ford's curmudgeonly, "don't give a poo poo about anything" acting actually works really well in this role.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

One of the best high-tension moments in the entire show: the reveal of the giant dildo.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I checked out the first two episodes of Shrinking the other night. It's very, very much a Ted Lasso-alike, sad daggy dad energy + light hearted comedy + underdog comes good vibes from the supporting cast + therapy.

I don't know if it's as good though, I think there's just something about sports narratives (which share a lot of DNA with small town stories) which makes sense of why all these people are up in each other's lives all the time, and about why these characters would all be heavily involved in motivating each other to succeed. The characters in Shrinking are just... a lot of them are straight up strangers, but you'll have scenes like the main character's daughter wandering over to his boss's house uninvited and hanging out, or a woman walking around to a co-worker's neighbour's house and telling her she's too co-dependent.

I guess maybe this is the point of the show, in that it's about the difficulty in setting healthy boundaries and we're sort of meant to see everyone as vaguely messy and hypocritical, but I think the show's also setting up an arc about how these characters are going to push past their guards and eventually become one big happy found family. Which is an especially weird vibe in a show that's about psychologists, given that they're all about keeping the patient and the therapist one step removed from each other.

Or maybe this is just a show that's using therapeutic professionalism as a vague metaphor for being closed off from people, and it's not actually a show that has much to say about alienists or whatever.

Harrison Ford's well cast, and I like Michael Urie / Jason Segel well enough. Plus the daughter was the pregnant girl from Genera+ion, so she could be really funny if they actually give her something funny to do. We'll see.

Ffflarfff
Nov 18, 2017

Only Kindness posted:

Oh, baby Becka is baby Bono? Not sure why I didn't spot it earlier.

Yeah, B.S. should have been slightly shorter, although It didn't feel "stretched" as much as "under-edited". Thoroughly enjoyable though.

Frankly though I just want Shazzer to go and do another season of Dead Boss.

I only just found out (just finished the series) - the red-headed insurance guy being Brendan Gleeson's son surprised me too, although realistically it shouldn't have at all.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Ninurta posted:

Just finished the S2 finale of Slow Horses, and it kicks Treason the teeth. It was a good finale, and the preview for next season looks interesting.River gets beat up.

I just finished both seasons. It took me 2 attempts to get through the first episode, but after that I was in. Gary oldman is so disgusting it’s almost unbelievable such an accomplished actor would want to take that role. But I’m glad he did!

*rips rear end in front of you*

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I blasted through the first season of Slow Horses. It was a lot of fun, I'll have to watch the second season soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Does shrinking ever do anything interesting? I like Jason but all of the advertising for this maybe got my hopes up too high?