Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
........yeah, it's time to give ATV+ a 6+ month break until there is something new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Watching the third episode of Shrinking now, and yeah i think I like this show. Segel's a great sad sack and the show's funny when it wants to be. Though it mostly doesn't want to be -- there's an entire three minute scene in this episode where there's exactly one joke, and that's Michael Urie saying the word "cornhole". So yeah, it's on the drama end of the dramedy scale, closer to something like Casual. (Which is fine, I really liked Casual.)

On a more high falutin level, I'd say the show "suffers" from not having a particularly strong concept behind it; it's really about a loose tangle of people who happen to be in each other's orbits rather than a show about a shrink and his patients, or whatever. But I think that just means it's a more traditional, low-concept set-up, something I'm not used to seeing on screen that much anymore. I like that too.

So what I'm saying is that this was entirely not what I expected, but now I've got a better sense of what it's like I'm far more into it.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Watching the third episode of Shrinking now, and yeah i think I like this show. Segel's a great sad sack and the show's funny when it wants to be. Though it mostly doesn't want to be -- there's an entire three minute scene in this episode where there's exactly one joke, and that's Michael Urie saying the word "cornhole". So yeah, it's on the drama end of the dramedy scale, closer to something like Casual. (Which is fine, I really liked Casual.)

On a more high falutin level, I'd say the show "suffers" from not having a particularly strong concept behind it; it's really about a loose tangle of people who happen to be in each other's orbits rather than a show about a shrink and his patients, or whatever. But I think that just means it's a more traditional, low-concept set-up, something I'm not used to seeing on screen that much anymore. I like that too.

So what I'm saying is that this was entirely not what I expected, but now I've got a better sense of what it's like I'm far more into it.

I second all of this. Also, who would’ve thought that Indiana Jones and a former Daily Show correspondent would’ve been one of the more compelling on screen duos?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Does See get much better in Season 2? I’m working my way (slowly) through season 1 and while the premise is really interesting, and it’s visually very pretty, it’s also a goddamn slog.
I heard starting in Season 2 David Bautista shows up so I’m just trying to push through.

Reminds me how Into the Badlands had this massive improvement once Nick Frost joined in S2.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Does See get much better in Season 2? I’m working my way (slowly) through season 1 and while the premise is really interesting, and it’s visually very pretty, it’s also a goddamn slog.

See's second season has a largely different production crew, and you can tell. New sound person, new credits, new structure. Lots of cameos by random Banshee and Warrior cast members (Jonathan Tropper show ran all three) -- and by Stargate Atlantis actors too because Jason Momoa.

It's got a different feel, closer to Canadian science-fiction than what it was doing before. I personally missed the fantasy vibe, the new show isn't the kind of thing that'd do something like the bridge episode, or the mines episode, and the politics are closer to modern military thrillers than a fantasy court. But YMMV.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Nailed exactly how I was feeling about it . I like it, but it's not amazing or anything. I wasn't even going to watch it until I watched an interview with Brett Goldstein who was promoting it on Colbert or something. Goldstein told a story of trying to get Harrison Ford involved. Harrison read the script and told him that it was the best script he had ever read. If Harrison Ford says that, i'm gonna watch whatever he's talking about. It was also a really charming, funny story (and interview) and tipped me off to Goldstein being a writer of both Shrinking and Ted Lasso (among many other things).

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

ShowTime posted:

Nailed exactly how I was feeling about it . I like it, but it's not amazing or anything. I wasn't even going to watch it until I watched an interview with Brett Goldstein who was promoting it on Colbert or something. Goldstein told a story of trying to get Harrison Ford involved. Harrison read the script and told him that it was the best script he had ever read. If Harrison Ford says that, i'm gonna watch whatever he's talking about. It was also a really charming, funny story (and interview) and tipped me off to Goldstein being a writer of both Shrinking and Ted Lasso (among many other things).

watching episode 3 and if you didn't crackle at the the whole scene at the start of the episode at the trash can, I don't know what to tell you.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

On the second season of Servant. I really like it but I also really really despise the wife. It's making it hard to watch. I mean I dislike all of them as people but have a visceral reaction to the wife. It's like a super dark It's Always Sunny where everybody is a terrible person but there is no comedy payoff. Glad to see the Harry Potter dude in something though he is great in this.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

D-Pad posted:

On the second season of Servant. I really like it but I also really really despise the wife. It's making it hard to watch. I mean I dislike all of them as people but have a visceral reaction to the wife. It's like a super dark It's Always Sunny where everybody is a terrible person but there is no comedy payoff. Glad to see the Harry Potter dude in something though he is great in this.
Definitely worth keeping up. Season 3 is pretty bonkers. I just started Season 4 after waiting for a few episodes to be available and it's off to a pretty intense start too.

SLOSifl
Channel 8 neeeewws

Back to you

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

ShowTime posted:

Harrison read the script and told him that it was the best script he had ever read. If Harrison Ford says that, i'm gonna watch whatever he's talking about.

I thought the same thing, but then I watched it, and I thought maybe a second-hand quote about a show from someone with a financial interest in its success, delivered by someone else with a financial interest in its success... is not 100% unbiased.

It's not terrible, but if Ford said it was the best script he'd ever read then his opinion is trash

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mixed Shrinking this week. Segel especially was doing all the worst things about his acting style

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Mixed Shrinking this week. Segel especially was doing all the worst things about his acting style

Oh man, I thought this episode was my favourite so far -- really funny at times, particularly the opening, and I loved the subplot with the neighbour. She's one of the more interesting parts of the show for me.

Interested in what you mean about Segel, since I'm not really familiar with his work (outside this and his AMC show, Dispatches From Elsewhere). Is it, like, the broad comedy faces he pulls sometimes or...?

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Ted Lasso is back March 15th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m14CQFtNi8

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

gently caress yeah we're finally getting to the Evil Nate factory.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

blast0rama posted:

I second all of this. Also, who would’ve thought that Indiana Jones and a former Daily Show correspondent would’ve been one of the more compelling on screen duos?

I feel like it would've been much better as a movie. Just going with the best 15 mins from each episode so far would've made a tight first hour.

I understand why it isn't, there's a lot more money out there for producing comedy series than there is for comedy movies right now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cautiously optimistic for new Lasso, I hope the issues were either dealt with or not as severe as reported (which is quite likely).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Oh man, I thought this episode was my favourite so far -- really funny at times, particularly the opening, and I loved the subplot with the neighbour. She's one of the more interesting parts of the show for me.

Interested in what you mean about Segel, since I'm not really familiar with his work (outside this and his AMC show, Dispatches From Elsewhere). Is it, like, the broad comedy faces he pulls sometimes or...?

Yeah in scenes like his meltdown to Christa Miller I just find him embarrassingly broad with his faces and movements especially

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BLM1naCfME

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Looks cool imo.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Shrinking was fine this week. Generally I’m just not all that excited by it. The writing is fine, the filmmaking is fine, the performances are generally very good but they don’t have solid enough material behind them. Don’t know why Lawrence jumped ship on Lasso to make the same show again but worse in just about every way.

Hello Tomorrow is interesting but dull. They like…..forgot to write jokes. You’re the Worst creator Stephen Falk was hired as the showrunner for this season so I’m hoping it’ll improve as it moves past the creators’ initial scripts but we’ll see.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Making the same show but worse is most of Bill Lawrence's career.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Escobarbarian posted:

Hello Tomorrow is interesting but dull. They like…..forgot to write jokes. You’re the Worst creator Stephen Falk was hired as the showrunner for this season so I’m hoping it’ll improve as it moves past the creators’ initial scripts but we’ll see.

I didn’t really get the feeling they were primarily going for humor, just little bits here and there. I mainly was into it for the world, which I definitely dig. That delivery vehicle rules and then lol.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

EL BROMANCE posted:

I didn’t really get the feeling they were primarily going for humor, just little bits here and there. I mainly was into it for the world, which I definitely dig. That delivery vehicle rules and then lol.

lol yeah that 2d driver was great. I’m looking forward to seeing just how big of a scam the moon really is.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nuts and Gum posted:

lol yeah that 2d driver was great. I’m looking forward to seeing just how big of a scam the moon really is.

Same, at first I was expecting it to be just a huge disappointment when they get there that we might never even see and then it was like oh it really doesn’t go any higher than this one dude who duped some sales people and they just go town to town stealing money.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Shrinking is 100% people just randomly talking at each other in random groupings in the same 5 locations with no real stakes, conflict or plot.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

EL BROMANCE posted:

Same, at first I was expecting it to be just a huge disappointment when they get there that we might never even see and then it was like oh it really doesn’t go any higher than this one dude who duped some sales people and they just go town to town stealing money.

Given how much they outright hint that the moon thing is a scam, I’m starting to think that it’s a misdirection, and there are actually apartments on the moon.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Oasx posted:

Given how much they outright hint that the moon thing is a scam, I’m starting to think that it’s a misdirection, and there are actually apartments on the moon.

It is played very straight. Maybe the scam is the moon kicks rear end but none of these schmucks are gonna get there

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Oasx posted:

Nuts and Gum posted:

It is played very straight. Maybe the scam is the moon kicks rear end but none of these schmucks are gonna get there

My guess is that these people are definitely buying space in the moon, but, you know, those robots seem super unreliable and someone has to wash the dishes. They're importing a slave class for their moon colony.

Edit: I wrote this without having finished the episode. But I do wonder.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Feb 18, 2023

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
My only problem with Shrinking is the plot of Jason Segel's high school daughter and the Afghanistan war vet and them trying to justify it as her wanting to sleep with him and she'll make it happen.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Great Servant this week, Funkytown out of nowhere, I was howling.

Also will stick with Hello Tomorrow! Crudup has got that perfect 1950s Mid-Atlantic face, y'know? The potential for chaos is high, Myrtle's already blown up Herb's life, Eddie only has a limited number of bones, Jack's still not told Joey the secret, but his mother is noisy. Forms Guy will bury them in bureaucracy till they cannot escape.

You're The Worst had no jokes either, that's the point, you're not meant to be laughing, only to be aghast.

It beat Fallout to the Googie Optimism, while also capturing the darkness and desperation underneath. I hope they'll keep up the useless-devices-and-labour-saving-machines-that-save-no-labour themes. The conveyor belt device that... puts cans on the shelf, that you load by hand. The dictaphone that goes straight-to-paper capturing every word, when ultimately it woulda been quicker for Jack to type it himself, that sort of thing. Delivery vans that'll stop to avoid a dog in front but happily crush the human behind. I could get my parcel dropped on the floor by a human easily enough! A.P.P. was deliberately on-the-nose. Human-sized floating servitors to hand you a piece of paper.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Only Kindness posted:

You're The Worst had no jokes either, that's the point, you're not meant to be laughing, only to be aghast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBkTy9WV04g

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Only Kindness posted:

What are you talking about lmao

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Escobarbarian posted:

What are you talking about lmao

Simply that comedy comes from many places, not just "funny man fall down".

For example, I just made you laugh by posting no jokes.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

This is loving hilarious holy poo poo.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I didn’t even realize there were 2 more episodes of Hello Tomorrow to watch, yay.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

You're the worst is loving great. Will probably stick with Hello Tomorrow! for a few more episodes solely because of Falk

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Watched the first two episodes of Hello Tomorrow and it's... fine. The retrofuturistic worldbuilding is by far the best part. The basic plot essentially could be set in the 1960s so I wonder if it began as a more straightforward Mad Men clone and they added the retrofuturistic elements to it.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Mooseontheloose posted:

My only problem with Shrinking is the plot of Jason Segel's high school daughter and the Afghanistan war vet and them trying to justify it as her wanting to sleep with him and she'll make it happen.

I haven't watched the last couple episodes of it but are they still sticking with that loving theme? I hope to hell not.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

ShowTime posted:

I haven't watched the last couple episodes of it but are they still sticking with that loving theme? I hope to hell not.

Yeah, it’s been one of the main plot threads the last two episodes. It’s…not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Zero One posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyPx64LjdJM

For All Mankind meets Fallout meets Glengarry Glen Ross?

When I first saw him I was like, who's this Matt Dillon-looking motherfucker? But Crudup won me over so hard on "The Morning Show," which he was the best part of (and that show stars two A-list movie stars.) Looking forward to this.