Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

that poo poo eating grin lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/Kiwi__011/status/1621118906407727106?s=20

It's an extremely funny retort.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
STARDOM doesn't livestream its shows?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Lily Catts posted:

Only the PPVs and I think the production for those is outsourced. Whenever they do a regular show they spoil the results immediately on social media but the shows themselves don't go up on their subscription site for like 3 days after. They also put all their promo material and press conferences on their YouTube channel separately and none of it is subtitled for foreign fans

The in-ring product is world class but the company is run like a rinky dink indie and it's annoying. They grew profits like 5x in 2022 and I have no idea what they're spending it on other than freelancers (which is awesome of course) but their website really sucks

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Lily Catts posted:

They livestream New Blood shows on YouTube. Rarely they'll stream a big house show, but that's like once or twice a year

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

That "Oh poo poo..." killed me. :xd:

The Ether beat drop got a good laugh out of me.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

Only the PPVs and I think the production for those is outsourced. Whenever they do a regular show they spoil the results immediately on social media but the shows themselves don't go up on their subscription site for like 3 days after. They also put all their promo material and press conferences on their YouTube channel separately and none of it is subtitled for foreign fans

The in-ring product is world class but the company is run like a rinky dink indie and it's annoying. They grew profits like 5x in 2022 and I have no idea what they're spending it on other than freelancers (which is awesome of course) but their website really sucks

This is it, it's the 2nd biggest promotion in Japan with the backing of a huge corporation and yet it definitely is run like it's a group the size of Sendai Girls or...was going to say BJW but they live stream almost all their shows and then upload them later to BJW Core

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

This is it, it's the 2nd biggest promotion in Japan with the backing of a huge corporation and yet it definitely is run like it's a group the size of Sendai Girls or...was going to say BJW but they live stream almost all their shows and then upload them later to BJW Core

From the international perspective, i really don't get why they don't have Kelly and Charlton call the major shows now. Or if that's too much work for Kevin and Chris on top of the NJPW stuff, get some other English speaking announcers. I know some purists will claim it doesn't matter but it absolutely does.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Wait, Stardom doesn’t subtitle their promos any more? That was the best part about them when I started watching joshi stuff.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

From the international perspective, i really don't get why they don't have Kelly and Charlton call the major shows now. Or if that's too much work for Kevin and Chris on top of the NJPW stuff, get some other English speaking announcers. I know some purists will claim it doesn't matter but it absolutely does.

The reason I'm into TJPW over Stardom is they do English announced shows.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Stewart Fulton used to, with rotating partners. Sonny Gutierrez, STARDOM's in-house translator/cameraman/English Twitter guy did one show with Fulton, asked for more money...and hasn't done any since.

Interestingly, Mayu Iwatani was supposed to be the first IWGP Women's Champion, but she asked for more money (since the champion would need to travel to the US as needed)...and so KAIRI became the first champion instead.

Lumbermouth posted:

Wait, Stardom doesn’t subtitle their promos any more? That was the best part about them when I started watching joshi stuff.

There aren't regularly doing pre-match promos anymore :smith:

But the main event winner's promo is still subtitled for each show

Fans on social media have been translating promos for big shows and cool moments.

A fan named Dana has a blog where she translates the press conferences and some shows, usually a couple weeks after:
https://shinetodaybelievetomorrow.home.blog/

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Power Windows posted:

Stewart Fulton used to, with rotating partners. Sonny Gutierrez, STARDOM's in-house translator/cameraman/English Twitter guy did one show with Fulton, asked for more money...and hasn't done any since.

Interestingly, Mayu Iwatani was supposed to be the first IWGP Women's Champion, but she asked for more money (since the champion would need to travel to the US as needed)...and so KAIRI became the first champion instead.

It's inexcusably cheap. Pay Sonny to do the loving pre-match promos, bare minimum. That was always a really nice touch.

Cheaping out like this is just such a stupid "penny wise, pound stupid" attitude.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Gaz-L posted:

I watched the show where KAIRI came home with English commentary and other than the informative background information on the wrestlers it was some of the worst commentary I've ever heard. Those guys are both atrocious and should never be allowed to do commentary ever again. They need to stop being so cheap and hire someone who is actually good

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Elephant Ambush posted:

I watched the show where KAIRI came home with English commentary and other than the informative background information on the wrestlers it was some of the worst commentary I've ever heard. Those guys are both atrocious and should never be allowed to do commentary ever again. They need to stop being so cheap and hire someone who is actually good

I've seen a lot of wrong opinions on this forum but drat

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

I forgot where it was said a while ago, but Kevin stressed that there should be at least one woman on English commentary for STARDOM shows.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

forkboy84 posted:

It's inexcusably cheap. Pay Sonny to do the loving pre-match promos, bare minimum. That was always a really nice touch.

Cheaping out like this is just such a stupid "penny wise, pound stupid" attitude.

Stardom trying to learn the worst things from WWE.

Remember the multiple years of them deciding that pyro was an unnecessary expense? Remember Brock doing his entrance including the leap on the apron and pose......but no pyro so it was lame?

Dancing Peasant posted:

I forgot where it was said a while ago, but Kevin stressed that there should be at least one woman on English commentary for STARDOM shows.

I do love Chris Brooks and rotating guests, but I would also love female announcers for TJPW.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
what a dork lol

https://twitter.com/hungiees/status/1620862171738693632

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I loving love Cody :allears:

Also, The Bump is still a thing?! :psyduck:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

I loving love this weirdo

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Michael Elgin has started a Go Fund Me with a $100,000 goal. He has titled it "Help me fight for dads and men"

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-me-fight-for-dads-and-men?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=p_lico+share-sheet

You might go "What weird MRA cause is Michael Elgin fundraising for with a title like that.

The answer is he's raising money so he can afford to live while he starts a podcast.

quote:

I need to be able to survive while I start my podcast. This podcast is not just my story but a story about a masculine man fighting for his rights to be a father. I’ve even talked to a lawyer to go after the education system because when I see my sons work, all the questions are about mom and never about dad.

He has one donor, $150 from Jimmy Jacobs or a person pretending to be Jimmy Jacobs.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Dancing Peasant posted:

This too. The two guys who do Japanese commentary at the big shows are fine, and they usually have a Stardom wrestler as a guest commentator but they really should have a woman as one of the two main commentators at all times

And yes if we ever get good English commentary then one of them needs to be a woman

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

sometimes I’ll go back and watch old G1’s and in the middle of classics with Ishii, Tana, Ibushi etc, oh poo poo I forgot here’s loving Mike Elgin with that IM MAD or dumbass stare on his face with the default CAW move set here to ruin my day

look you aren’t getting my money you rear end in a top hat

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
It would probably help Elgin more if he got a normal job and tried to be normal. Somebody with that many issues should not add “being a podcaster” to an already long list.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

loving beautiful

MassRafTer posted:

Michael Elgin has started a Go Fund Me with a $100,000 goal. He has titled it "Help me fight for dads and men"

Thought this said “help me fight dads and men” at first

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Ganso Bomb posted:

Thought this said “help me fight dads and men” at first

That’s Kaito Kiyomiya’s GoFundMe

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

This too. The two guys who do Japanese commentary at the big shows are fine, and they usually have a Stardom wrestler as a guest commentator but they really should have a woman as one of the two main commentators at all times

And yes if we ever get good English commentary then one of them needs to be a woman

Veda Scott is available, just sayin’

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-me-fight-for-dads-and-men?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=p_lico+share-sheet

You might go "What weird MRA cause is Michael Elgin fundraising for with a title like that.

The answer is he's raising money so he can afford to live while he starts a podcast.

He has one donor, $150 from Jimmy Jacobs or a person pretending to be Jimmy Jacobs.

Also like "and if any left over 'buy my mom her dream house.'"

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Nonsense everyone knows joshi doesn't exist without Sakuraism

But for real here's the context, it's part of a work to build some kind of inter-promotional thing

https://twitter.com/GloriousRoyals/status/1621154862888292352

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 3, 2023

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

"I’ve even talked to a lawyer to go after the education system because when I see my sons work, all the questions are about mom and never about dad."

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/hideki55suzuki/status/1621074659902103552?s=46&t=GqexiSnOgqA4WVvvcK1TbQ

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

History Comes Inside! posted:

Ibushi lives on a 25 hour day which is what gives him his incredible genius powers

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1241232382457503744

hes not dumb for this hes describing an actual condition that is just insanely rare and even more rare among sighted people called non 24 hour sleep wake cycle disorder. i have it as well but an hour worse than he does, my circadian rhythm thinks there are about 26 hours in a day and it makes keeping schedules insanely hard. theres no real treatment for it outside of experimental options that cost like 10k+ annually. hes lucky that hes only about an hour off, its still pretty manageable for him. all hes describing is that every day his body naturally tells him "ok night time is happening now you sleep" an hour later every day, and it tells him to wake up an hour later every day as well. and as you go around and around eventually your body is telling you that noon is the dead of night and you need to sleep, and when you get up at 8 pm you feel completely refreshed and ready to go. it makes me respect his body of work even more, knowing that there were some of those matches that he was wrestling when his body was screaming "its 2 am brother what are you doing right now" at him.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

fez_machine posted:

it's part of a work to build some kind of inter-promotional thing

I wonder if this and all the outsiders being involved in STARDOM in recent months is ultimately building toward All Star Grand Queendom

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

fez_machine posted:

But for real here's the context, it's part of a work to build some kind of inter-promotional thing

I like that Japanese wrestlers and promoters seemingly never talk in public without it being some kind of work.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

literally the best thing he's ever been involved in

*ahem*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDSUD0by7x0

Oil of Olay every day!

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I will always apppreciate dumbasses braining themselves for my entertainment

https://twitter.com/fromAMMO/status/1620976255368855552

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Rob Stardom is a Canadian shindie wrestler who is wrestling in ChocoPro tonight which means I looked him up and found his vlog

Genuinely interesting if you want to see what Japanese shindie life is like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JopBP5gjlQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-giEaq74fI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2AU7wzC6WA

spoiler kind of grim but with a lot of passion

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 3, 2023

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

Elephant Ambush posted:

When I first signed up for Stardom they sent me an email with my password in plain text lol

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

SG Bamboo posted:

I will always apppreciate dumbasses braining themselves for my entertainment

https://twitter.com/fromAMMO/status/1620976255368855552

I always feel kinda bad for bluntly telling my friends who ask why wrestlers are weird “idk they decided to find joy by getting kicked in the head for a living”

but drat if I don’t appreciate the hell out of what workers do for our entertainment

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
quick question isn’t that how shibata ended up needing brain removal surgery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Power Windows posted:

But the main event winner's promo is still subtitled for each show

Fans on social media have been translating promos for big shows and cool moments.

A fan named Dana has a blog where she translates the press conferences and some shows, usually a couple weeks after:
https://shinetodaybelievetomorrow.home.blog/

Thanks for this link!

"Pro wrestling is pain, and pain, and pain, and I think it’s the best." -Waka Tsukiyama, 2023