Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

While not survival related, the "people raiding your base while you are offline or doing something else" chat reminded me of Anarchy Online from years ago. Getting a call from a friend at some ungodly hour or inconvenient time because your organization's base was getting attacked was simultaneously exciting and annoying. People would intentionally schedule raids at odd hours just to take advantage of that, and grudges were formed, and that sucked. On one hand there were "safe hours" where your base was invulnerable, but that could be negated by someone in your org accidentally attacking another base and all hell broke loose. Trying to do damage control politics was stupid. So was dropping everything to rush out to defend just to find it was some noob that didn't know what they were doing and a waste of time as well. The end result of it all usually was some sort of cold war stalemate situation where everyone left each other alone for fear of retaliation.

The things that were fun about it though was PvP was level bracketed, so there were "sweet spot" levels, where you could attack certain ranges of other players but be unattackable by others, so leaving PvP "twinks" logged out at your base and having a call to arms and wrecking some people that thought they were going to waltz in and destroy your towers was pretty enjoyable. Also, other than some mild almost negligible buffs, there wasn't much to be gained by having a base other than bragging rights and the opportunity to PvP, so losing a base wasn't really a big deal beyond the annoyance or piss off factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

For me, "huge open world" usually means I'm running around for potentially hours not making any progress just looking for specific resources. Everybody loves Valheim, but as soon as I have to sail somewhere I completely lose interest because it takes FOREVER and is not engaging in any way. Even before that is just a lot of time running around hoping to find whatever resource.

So I like any game that quickly gets me where I want / need to be without wasting my time with "exploration".

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I can firmly say that I would spend a thousand hours in a densely packed dog park before I spend an hour in a "massive open world".

Games like GTA or whatever get away with it because they have fast methods of travel and also quicktravel for returning to locations. But when it comes to survival everything has to be on a timer so you take forever to actually go anywhere.

I'm going to come down hard and say that a survival game whose major landmarks are more than three minutes apart by the fastest available method of travel are bad. You can break it up by having longer trips with small landmarks in between, like how The Long Dark has little caches along major paths, or by making movement more of a dynamic thing like how Sea of Thieves (not a survival game, I know) has you tracking the map and wind as you go along. But if you are just pressing W for 10 mins your game sucks no matter how "hardcore" it is.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I actually feel like a lot of TLD's distances are too big. Crossing just one map takes forever and even if there's stuff along the way, there, now it's all looted. You still have to walk by it on the way back, and every time after that.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Vib Rib posted:

A mobile base of some kind would work well in a genre like that, but I also think it lacks some of the charm and expansive customization you get in a permanent settlement. Maybe if it was like, a really big spaceship that gave you lots of space to build in.

The closest thing in development to this seems to be Forever Skies which has kind of a Raft/Subnautica but on an airship thing going on. I'm not sure how much variability or "raid" feeling there will be to the various places you can park at and loot.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Vib Rib posted:

A mobile base of some kind would work well in a genre like that, but I also think it lacks some of the charm and expansive customization you get in a permanent settlement. Maybe if it was like, a really big spaceship that gave you lots of space to build in.

A Mortal Engines game

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Phigs posted:

The refresh is an important part of it too. If you're just looting an open world you're reducing the loot in your area and will eventually run out but with a raid format you're not depleting anything. Every raid is the same tier, where in an open world you're slowly going to worse and worse places as you go through the best places to loot things. Makes me think that a survival game where you have to stay nomadic as you loot everything around you and move on would be interesting.

this is why whenever i've played cataclysm dda i always end up making a post apocalyptic RV as a home base with which to travel between towns

something like that without the permadeath could be fun

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Azhais posted:

A Mortal Engines game

Isn't this just Last Oasis?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Oysters Autobio posted:

Refresh could be done in a bit more immersive way too. I try to pretend that loot refresh is just me looking through everything again and finding stuff I didnt see the first time around. Unfortunately, games basically suffer from not enough "stuff". It's either the same containers, or the same bare spots for a few items. Or, if you do fill the environment with lots of stuff thats unlootable, it feels artificial. So its sort of a limitation just with the game engines I guess for open world.

SCUM was kinda smart by having the game's setting be a hosed up dystopian future reality show so all the weird artificiality that comes out of survival sandbox gameplay can be explained away by "it's a tv show"

loot respawning? its the show's producers making sure there's always interesting poo poo for the prisoners to find

players respawning? its the future, you can just make an infinite number of clones that the prisoners have to pay for every time they die

though i do honestly prefer when games are designed around the fact that loot never respawns like project zomboid or state of decay

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

ShadowMar posted:

though i do honestly prefer when games are designed around the fact that loot never respawns like project zomboid or state of decay

The ambition of the Project Zomboid team to develop a game that will flow from:
- initial outbreak, fresh foods aplenty with many zombies, using scavenged equipment, ramshackle fortifications
- later outbreak, breakdown of modern accessories leading to a transition to base level basic long term survival items, still lots of zombies, beginning of larger human settlements
- formation of human societies at renaissance tech with occasional modern era tech as special relics who have to deal with zombies as part of the background as those societies collide

...is quite significant and if they pull it off, quite a feat.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Humble Bundle has a survival bundle available:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/survival-instinct

Chernobylite: Enhanced Edition
83% Positive on Steam

SCUM
78% Positive on Steam

State of Decay 2: Juggernaut Edition
80% Positive on Steam

The Long Dark: Survival Edition
91% Positive on Steam

Volcanoids
85% Positive on Steam

SurrounDead
91% Positive on Steam

Starsand
82% Positive on Steam

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

HelloSailorSign posted:

- initial outbreak, fresh foods aplenty with many zombies, using scavenged equipment, ramshackle fortifications
- later outbreak, breakdown of modern accessories leading to a transition to base level basic long term survival items, still lots of zombies, beginning of larger human settlements
- formation of human societies at renaissance tech with occasional modern era tech as special relics who have to deal with zombies as part of the background as those societies collide

it might take another decade or two but i believe in them

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

CuddleCryptid posted:

I can firmly say that I would spend a thousand hours in a densely packed dog park before I ....

Huh? Is this a common expression? A dog park packed full of doggos sounds awesome, how is this a negative?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Oysters Autobio posted:

Huh? Is this a common expression? A dog park packed full of doggos sounds awesome, how is this a negative?

I think it's just to evoke the scale.

It makes me think of AC: Syndicate where it was relatively compact over an area of London, vs GTA5

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Oysters Autobio posted:

I meant more in the sense of "a very small outdoor area". Alternative would be like a single office building.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Oysters Autobio posted:

Half of them are poorly socialized wrecks with people who:
1- think if they ask their dog nicely that it'll start playing nice
2- are largely ignoring their dog while on their phone
3- use prong collars and scruff slam their dog when its misbehaving

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

HelloSailorSign posted:

3- use prong collars and scruff slam their dog when its misbehaving

this is the worst poo poo and was part of the reason I stopped going to dog parks.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

this is the worst poo poo and was part of the reason I stopped going to dog parks.

Oh I see you have been to popular dog parks too

:negative:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The last straw for me was this one lady with an rear end in a top hat boxer that decided it wanted to gently caress with my tiny dog and as I had *picked up my dog and was trying to leave the park* her rear end in a top hat boxer was jumping on me trying to get to my own dog, I looked her dead in the face and asked her to please control her dog so I could leave and she turned her back on me :shrug:

never went back, no regrets!

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

HelloSailorSign posted:

I haven’t played it; how much of this is in so far? Because this sounds fantastic.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

First two more or less, although me and my friends usually manage to survive rarely long enough to reach part two - granted, we're not Zomboid experts by no means and actually setting up a functional colony without electricity or water is quite the task. Most people will be playing their Zomboid at the first part, I'd imagine.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Zomboid is great, it has the downside though that there's no real incident system to shake up the monotony except for one specific event. It's super immersive and hard as balls unless you start with something super able to forage and just run straight away from anything urban.
e: you are utterly locked out of most carpentry tasks until you find a saw, and for ~game design~ reasons ordinary tools like saws and screwdrivers are like diamonds, feel free to tune loot rarity to make it less stupid

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Nonsense. Every suburban household has half of the tool aisle of Home Depot in their basement for the off chance you need a chainsaw on your property with no trees. It's just part of the experience.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Naw when you go through an entire huge neighborhood with 50+ garages and you don't find a single saw, that's just not terribly fun :shrug:

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Flesh Forge posted:

Naw when you go through an entire huge neighborhood with 50+ garages and you don't find a single saw, that's just not terribly fun :shrug:

On my recent run, I installed a mod that lets you make primitive stone tools to enable my soft bodied hibernation into a hulking zombie killing chad. Mods are widely available for zomboid; many of which ought to be QOL fixes. (Being able to use crowbars to pry, throwing zombies out windows, seeing the moodlet base values)

Make it yours.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Every time I install zomboid after an update I look at the roadmap and think "eh, lets give it another 4 months."

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah definitely feel free to mod some of the arbitrary game designer bullshit out of zomboid (or any game) especially if you're a solo player, who really enjoys sifting through hundreds of containers to find the gatekeeper item that lets you do the basic crafting poo poo? :shrug:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Flesh Forge posted:

Zomboid is great, it has the downside though that there's no real incident system to shake up the monotony except for one specific event. It's super immersive and hard as balls unless you start with something super able to forage and just run straight away from anything urban.
e: you are utterly locked out of most carpentry tasks until you find a saw, and for ~game design~ reasons ordinary tools like saws and screwdrivers are like diamonds, feel free to tune loot rarity to make it less stupid
This is one of those things in pretty much every survival game that's sensible from a gameplay point of view and silly from a realism standpoint. Think about how much poo poo people have in the average home, especially suburban neighborhoods. Even someone living in a lovely apartment probably has at least a couple of knives and a screwdriver. It's why I turn up loot in most games, because it's annoying to have to search 3 city blocks for a couple of items, even post apocalypse.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

In this particular case at least, re: finding a hand saw it's super not sensible from a gameplay standpoint because it is an absolute roadblock between you and the interesting construction content, requiring tons of boring repetitive sifting through almost-always empty containers. I have no idea who thinks that's good gameplay or why :shrug:
e: like I get the notion of the tradeoff between verisimilitude and fun/challeing/interesting gameplay but this is neither of those, it's just arbitrary

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Survival game where nails are a form of currency.

Edilaic
Jul 10, 2008

Typical Pubbie posted:

Survival game where nails are a form of currency.

Is traditional Japanese carpentry just cheating in that world? That said, it'd be neat if some of the games had skillbooks you could read that would fundamentally transform the recipes you could make, like using more wood but no nails, or substituting glue for nails, or whatnot.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Flesh Forge posted:

In this particular case at least, re: finding a hand saw it's super not sensible from a gameplay standpoint because it is an absolute roadblock between you and the interesting construction content, requiring tons of boring repetitive sifting through almost-always empty containers. I have no idea who thinks that's good gameplay or why :shrug:
e: like I get the notion of the tradeoff between verisimilitude and fun/challeing/interesting gameplay but this is neither of those, it's just arbitrary
It especially sucks in PZ since leveling carpentry in that game is a pain unless you watch a ton of videos. Still not as bad as goddamn fishing :v:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

skilling in general in that game is awful and again it's totally fine to tune the xp gain settings so it's less lovely.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The main things holding PZ back from entering the 2nd tier as noted above is more long term food storage and a better farming system. I agree that an event system is needed, which is why I use Expanded Helicopter Events mod in the meantime.

I feel the tool RNG though. Saws I generally have no issue and wind up on default settings having 5 or so by end of first week, but I also almost always take lucky trait. Sledgehammers though, those I can rarely find.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I'm waiting for the NPC update. Everything else can be fixed with mods, but NPCs need native support for them to actually work in multiplayer.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Edilaic posted:

Is traditional Japanese carpentry just cheating in that world? That said, it'd be neat if some of the games had skillbooks you could read that would fundamentally transform the recipes you could make, like using more wood but no nails, or substituting glue for nails, or whatnot.

satisfactory does that, though its survival elements are thoroughly vestigal

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

I picked up the PC version of Stranded Deep after playing a lot of the console version. I still think it's my favorite survival game mostly because it's very relaxed for the most part.

I think my biggest complaint is how easy it is to find good loot. My starting island alone had enough resources to build several motors and I'm swimming in compasses and a massive pile of hammers.

Is there a mod to tweak the difficulty? It would be nice to turn finding a engine filter part into a big deal rather than throwing it on the pile of 15 others. Or not starting with a compass in the air raft would make early game navigation tougher.

It's weird going to other islands only really caring about finding rocks instead of rare parts.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was looking at the current Steam event and grabbed the demo for a survival game called I am Future where you're stuck on top of a building while the world is flooded. Seems like Raft but you're not moving.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

So "Roof"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

e. Wrong