Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MonkeyWash posted:

My radiation exposure is from depleted uranium in wartime and stupidity from the peacetime army at the Trinity site. I doubt sights would do it but who the gently caress knows? There could well be lawyer commercials in the future asking if you or a loved one were exposed to tritium.

Tritium is extremely weak, radioactivity wise. 0.0185 MeV beta decays aren’t really too spooky, your skin provides plenty of protection.

Now if you were chugging Gatorade made from tritiated water, you’d be in for a real bad time. (Actually less exposure than a little is a problem internally but.. whatever) but luckily that’s never happened.

I wouldn’t be losing too much sleep from being around tritium sights. Standing near the Bananas in the grocery store is a larger radiation exposure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I got a D in chemistry after failing the final pretty hard. The school considers this passing, and my GPA is still above 3.0, but I’m trying to transfer to another school and I’m concerned I won’t get credit. Does this depend on the school I’m trying to transfer to? I do not want to take chem again, and at any rate the VA won’t pay for it again. Everything I can find only mentions that the VA requires maintenance of a certain GPA and doesn’t mention passing or failing individual classes, but did I miss something?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I’ve got a question: my mom was in the AF for 20 days when she found out she was pregnant with my sister.

She did not get an ELS, though. Her DD-214 has an honorable characterization, she has AF paperwork saying honorable, and she has a dd-256 honorable discharge certificate.

I can’t find anything specific about the history of the ELS un-characterized discharge. The oldest milpersman I’ve found is from 2002. Anyone seen a personnel manual from the 70s or 80s to see if it has a different categorization for ELS?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nice! posted:

I’ve got a question: my mom was in the AF for 20 days when she found out she was pregnant with my sister.

She did not get an ELS, though. Her DD-214 has an honorable characterization, she has AF paperwork saying honorable, and she has a dd-256 honorable discharge certificate.

I can’t find anything specific about the history of the ELS un-characterized discharge. The oldest milpersman I’ve found is from 2002. Anyone seen a personnel manual from the 70s or 80s to see if it has a different categorization for ELS?

Ooof. Finding old regs could be hard but I’ve got a few ideas so I’ll get back to you on this later today.

RE: Honorable Discharge, are you trying to find paperwork on her having an ELS or is some federal agency asking for discharge bona fides or something? I ask because typically it’s better to have an Honorable in your hand than a (modern? Might not apply to your mom in the 70’s..) ELS paper trail as far as I understand it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It was summer 1980. The ultimate question is veteran’s preference for federal jobs. OPM regs specify only that you have a discharge characterized as honorable or general under honorable circumstances to claim the various levels of vet preference. There doesn’t seem to be a time in service requirement - just honorable characterization.

At least since the 90s, Entry-Level Separations explicitly say ELS in place of characterization. If I could find an older manual that specifies the same, it would be helpful. I figure she’s in “no harm no foul” territory to claim vet preference and submit her paperwork with the application for them to decide yes or no.

It would be super handy to know if they only started designating ELS in the last 40 years or if it goes back further. My feeling is that the people discharging her felt sorry for her and gave her a characterized discharge when they didn’t have to. She got pregnant before boot camp and just didn’t know it til she was there.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah man, she’s fine. The rules are pretty black and white. If ELS’s existed in 1980 they hooked her up and got her an honorable, or ELS’s didn’t exist then, in which case oh well she’s well within the rules.

Either way your mom appears to be entitled to claim veteran’s preference.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
That was my thought and the advice I gave her. Thanks for the second opinion, shim.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
You made need to contact the NPRC in St Louis to clear it up.

E: if she gets poo poo for applying for preference, I mean.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It looks like there may be a time of service requirement after all for some things. Who knows if she’s get any points or not. Worth a shot.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

life is killing me posted:

I got a D in chemistry after failing the final pretty hard. The school considers this passing, and my GPA is still above 3.0, but I’m trying to transfer to another school and I’m concerned I won’t get credit. Does this depend on the school I’m trying to transfer to? I do not want to take chem again, and at any rate the VA won’t pay for it again. Everything I can find only mentions that the VA requires maintenance of a certain GPA and doesn’t mention passing or failing individual classes, but did I miss something?

I think it is going to depend on the school you transfer to. I was in a similar situation where I got a D in Circuit Theory as a Mechanical Engineer. I actually wanted to retake it during the summer with a different instructor but because a D is acceptable for graduation (vs. the ME classes that had to be a C or better) the VA wouldn't pay for it. Now this was under Voc Rehab as well, not sure if that makes any difference. I do think if this new school requires a C or better the VA would have to cover it as you would need that to graduate. Ultimately check with the new schools VA people.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I am also taking the path toward ME. Not sure what is in store for me there, would actually love to get some perspective on that if you’re willing.

I ended up maintaining my C. I don’t know if she curved or what, but I ran out of time and straight-up just filled in scantron bubbles. This final was brutal. The grade I had seen was one she’d mistakenly put there when checking something in my profile. Canvas has a thing where you can test out hypothetical assignment and test grades to see the potential impact on your average, and this was a real permanent grade put there by mistake because it wouldn’t go away. Then she returns my email saying she hasn’t finished grading yet.

What a week it was—I had the module 4 Chem exam, and two days later the Chem final. I’m ecstatic I don’t have to go through that class again, at least with her.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

I am also taking the path toward ME. Not sure what is in store for me there, would actually love to get some perspective on that if you’re willing.

I ended up maintaining my C. I don’t know if she curved or what, but I ran out of time and straight-up just filled in scantron bubbles. This final was brutal. The grade I had seen was one she’d mistakenly put there when checking something in my profile. Canvas has a thing where you can test out hypothetical assignment and test grades to see the potential impact on your average, and this was a real permanent grade put there by mistake because it wouldn’t go away. Then she returns my email saying she hasn’t finished grading yet.

What a week it was—I had the module 4 Chem exam, and two days later the Chem final. I’m ecstatic I don’t have to go through that class again, at least with her.

Yeah sure. I assume you are pretty early in the degree. Be aware that Calculus 2 is a weed out class. Generally this is where people say gently caress it and become business majors. Use whatever means available to you for help. My school (K-State) had a student support room where some students that had passed the class already had time available to be of help. Sometimes they can explain things better. If you aren't already, look into Voc Rehab if you have any sort of disability rating. They can cover the cost of tutors (as well as equipment, I got a laptop, printer and reimbursed for my wifi router when it poo poo the bed during COVID lockdown). I will admit I do not consider myself a mechanically inclined person, nor was I ever very good at math. I was stronger in English and History in high school. My motivation was I wanted a stable job for the rest of my life and so far I can say I got that. Beats retail and the uniformed Army.

There is some specialization within ME that you might want to look into. Fluids and Thermodynamics just was not my thing. I passed the necessary classes, mostly because I had a good instructor but I wanted no more of that. Nuke interested me, if I honestly thought this country might utilize more nuclear energy I would have thought about it. Especially since K-State has a nuclear reactor there. Materials science is interesting, this also covers a lot of quantum/micro machinery. I wanted to take a class on quantum mechanics but only ended up taking a class on micromachinery. Robotics and mechatronics is really cool, I took some computer and electrical engineering classes as electives to learn C and made some stuff with arduinos. I will never, ever do machine code again though, gently caress that. Took some extra machine design classes, final project was designing a brake system for a sedan which was cool. I don't understand controls at all. I think that was just my instructor being bad though. It was never really explained how it's used or why or where. We just figured out the equation and moved on.

I graduated 2 years ago, Dec 2020, still in the heart of COVID so it really sucked. My goal was to do an internship that last year but a lot of them were cancelled. Got a short summer job working at a place that makes grain dryers and helping with drawings and clerical work. Had one interview before I graduated and that was for the DOE nuclear campus in KC, MO. Didn't get it. Spent the next ~4ish months getting ghosted by everyone. Jesus loving Christ no one answered me. But I did get a job off USAJOBS for, wait for it, the Army, again. The jobs great, I hate NJ but I can deal with it. I only got the job because of my military background because I am honestly not using anything from school. Being able to understand charts and data is handy I guess. I will never integrate or derive again, unless I go for my masters. Which they will pay for.

One thing I do feel like mechanical engineering students should know, and this is from my short time in the real world after graduation is this: Look, everyone gets into engineering because we want to design poo poo. Just realize that 90% of engineer jobs are not design. They're life cycle support and maintenance. This is what I do for the Army now, it's for tank rounds so it's interesting at least. But again, I got into this for a stable job and that's what I got. It ain't exciting most of the time but it's stable. Let me know if you want me to talk about anything else, if you have questions about school or what to do after school or whatever. I can talk about USAJOBs as well.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Wrong Theory posted:

Yeah sure. I assume you are pretty early in the degree. Be aware that Calculus 2 is a weed out class. Generally this is where people say gently caress it and become business majors. Use whatever means available to you for help. My school (K-State) had a student support room where some students that had passed the class already had time available to be of help. Sometimes they can explain things better. If you aren't already, look into Voc Rehab if you have any sort of disability rating. They can cover the cost of tutors (as well as equipment, I got a laptop, printer and reimbursed for my wifi router when it poo poo the bed during COVID lockdown). I will admit I do not consider myself a mechanically inclined person, nor was I ever very good at math. I was stronger in English and History in high school. My motivation was I wanted a stable job for the rest of my life and so far I can say I got that. Beats retail and the uniformed Army.

There is some specialization within ME that you might want to look into. Fluids and Thermodynamics just was not my thing. I passed the necessary classes, mostly because I had a good instructor but I wanted no more of that. Nuke interested me, if I honestly thought this country might utilize more nuclear energy I would have thought about it. Especially since K-State has a nuclear reactor there. Materials science is interesting, this also covers a lot of quantum/micro machinery. I wanted to take a class on quantum mechanics but only ended up taking a class on micromachinery. Robotics and mechatronics is really cool, I took some computer and electrical engineering classes as electives to learn C and made some stuff with arduinos. I will never, ever do machine code again though, gently caress that. Took some extra machine design classes, final project was designing a brake system for a sedan which was cool. I don't understand controls at all. I think that was just my instructor being bad though. It was never really explained how it's used or why or where. We just figured out the equation and moved on.

I graduated 2 years ago, Dec 2020, still in the heart of COVID so it really sucked. My goal was to do an internship that last year but a lot of them were cancelled. Got a short summer job working at a place that makes grain dryers and helping with drawings and clerical work. Had one interview before I graduated and that was for the DOE nuclear campus in KC, MO. Didn't get it. Spent the next ~4ish months getting ghosted by everyone. Jesus loving Christ no one answered me. But I did get a job off USAJOBS for, wait for it, the Army, again. The jobs great, I hate NJ but I can deal with it. I only got the job because of my military background because I am honestly not using anything from school. Being able to understand charts and data is handy I guess. I will never integrate or derive again, unless I go for my masters. Which they will pay for.

One thing I do feel like mechanical engineering students should know, and this is from my short time in the real world after graduation is this: Look, everyone gets into engineering because we want to design poo poo. Just realize that 90% of engineer jobs are not design. They're life cycle support and maintenance. This is what I do for the Army now, it's for tank rounds so it's interesting at least. But again, I got into this for a stable job and that's what I got. It ain't exciting most of the time but it's stable. Let me know if you want me to talk about anything else, if you have questions about school or what to do after school or whatever. I can talk about USAJOBs as well.

Thanks! This is all awesome info. I too want a stable job (I live ten minutes from Lockheed-Martin in north Texas and they are my goal), because my current job (the company at least) isn’t stable. I’m looking into a nascent company because our maintenance planner just resigned and said he would put in a good word for me as he will be a QA manager and that’s what I’m doing now. That is a meantime thing, but I am kind of excited to get with a startup aviation company that is backed by a billion-dollar investment company, if they hire me. I’m hoping to be a shoe-in there, they have no QA inspectors at this time, just management.

But all that said, Lockheed is still the ultimate goal. Right now I drive an hour to work and back. They are hiring way more engineers than aircraft mechanics right now, which is one of the reasons I decided to go for this just a year after I obtained my A&P cert.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Thanks! This is all awesome info. I too want a stable job (I live ten minutes from Lockheed-Martin in north Texas and they are my goal), because my current job (the company at least) isn’t stable. I’m looking into a nascent company because our maintenance planner just resigned and said he would put in a good word for me as he will be a QA manager and that’s what I’m doing now. That is a meantime thing, but I am kind of excited to get with a startup aviation company that is backed by a billion-dollar investment company, if they hire me. I’m hoping to be a shoe-in there, they have no QA inspectors at this time, just management.

But all that said, Lockheed is still the ultimate goal. Right now I drive an hour to work and back. They are hiring way more engineers than aircraft mechanics right now, which is one of the reasons I decided to go for this just a year after I obtained my A&P cert.

Ok, see I spent my first couple of months looking for jobs in the Midwest, from north Texas to MN. I would also look into L3Harris. I really wanted to work for them but again I just got ghosted. After that couple of months I started looking for work all over and that's what led me to NJ (Picatinny Arsenal). You seem to be getting some experience already but definitely look into internships whenever you can. Don't wait like I did. I honestly think that is what held me back but I don't know. There is obviously a lot of government work out there as well I would recommend looking into. I think I was looking into the Red River Army Depot down there. They do stuff with vehicles from what I remember. L3Harris is all over, I was honestly hoping to talk to the one in Colorado but there are places in north Texas as well. I wanted to work on the quad NVGs but they do a lot of aviation stuff as well.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Anyone have experience with getting an independent medical opinion for a VA disability claim? I'm putting together everything to submit babby's first disability claim and not surprisingly, I have three issues that were never documented (I didn't give a gently caress when I got out, I thought I was going back to the service in a few months, but thankfully I wised up). I'm getting buddy letters for everything and to validate that our med and mental health departments didn't document poo poo, but figure an IMO will probably be really, really helpful to validate my claim. Anything anyone can share about the process or their experience or that I should do XYZ instead appreciated.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I am stuck on the same point. I've never even had a regular civilian doctor.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I've got a disability question for y'all:

So here are the circumstances: I'm 80% disabled, living overseas as a GS, and getting my health care from a base hospital. I am seeing an off-base hospital for a service connected disability and FINALLY got a Rx for a drug I've been wanting to treat it. The doc is holding off on writing the actual medical necessity paperwork / giving me the Rx until we figure out how to get the VA to pay for it is since the drug will cost $1,000 every two weeks.

Also, that individual hospital visit got me $800 out of pocket. The on-base hospital charges me up front and then I have to take the bill and beg my health insurance for money. How does it work with the VA?

How do I get the VA to acknowledge this hospital visit and new Rx so that they cover it? I've been on the phone with the VA's disability line for an hour now waiting to talk to someone but I figure people here will know more. The VA website isn't great since it does that government website thing of saying "You can do X Y and Z!", and the only telling you what the benefits are and not how to actually do them.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Wrr posted:

So here are the circumstances: I'm 80% disabled, living overseas as a GS, and getting my health care from a base hospital. I am seeing an off-base hospital for a service connected disability and FINALLY got a Rx for a drug I've been wanting to treat it. The doc is holding off on writing the actual medical necessity paperwork / giving me the Rx until we figure out how to get the VA to pay for it is since the drug will cost $1,000 every two weeks.

Also, that individual hospital visit got me $800 out of pocket. The on-base hospital charges me up front and then I have to take the bill and beg my health insurance for money. How does it work with the VA?

How do I get the VA to acknowledge this hospital visit and new Rx so that they cover it? I've been on the phone with the VA's disability line for an hour now waiting to talk to someone but I figure people here will know more. The VA website isn't great since it does that government website thing of saying "You can do X Y and Z!", and the only telling you what the benefits are and not how to actually do them.

Is there a way for the off base doctor to send the RX to the VA? There has to be a way for the doctor in town can share your medical records with the VA so someone can put two and two together and figure out that this is something that should be covered.

I am retired and have TriCare select but also 100% so I have my non VA PCM send my prescriptions to the VA and just have them mailed to my house.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Hekk posted:

Is there a way for the off base doctor to send the RX to the VA? There has to be a way for the doctor in town can share your medical records with the VA so someone can put two and two together and figure out that this is something that should be covered.

I am retired and have TriCare select but also 100% so I have my non VA PCM send my prescriptions to the VA and just have them mailed to my house.

Hekk- Question for you. I’m retired, have TRICare Prime, also 100% P&T. Can my non VA PCM I use send RX’s to the VA and I can get them for free? Or cheap? I don’t use the VA for anything other than my fun bux and education benefits. What is the process to get setup similar to what your doing?

Also, will the VA fill things with less bullshit than TRICare? My Doctor tried to get me on Mounjaro and TRICare said no, try these other alternatives and when my doc tried to put me on them they continued to decline filling it because TRICare says I have to take Metformin, some other drug, and then some other drug before I can be prescribed the Mounjaro alternatives.

Sorry for wall of text. :shobon:

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Hekk- Question for you. I’m retired, have TRICare Prime, also 100% P&T. Can my non VA PCM I use send RX’s to the VA and I can get them for free? Or cheap? I don’t use the VA for anything other than my fun bux and education benefits. What is the process to get setup similar to what your doing?

Also, will the VA fill things with less bullshit than TRICare? My Doctor tried to get me on Mounjaro and TRICare said no, try these other alternatives and when my doc tried to put me on them they continued to decline filling it because TRICare says I have to take Metformin, some other drug, and then some other drug before I can be prescribed the Mounjaro alternatives.

I don't have any experience with non VA doctors wanting to prescribe medicine the VA itself won't prescribe me. When I first retired I tried setting up care through the VA since military medicine was something I was familiar with and there were zero copays for anything. I've since moved further away from the local VA hospital and realized that my copay for Tricare isn't very high. So I use a PCM I found through the tricare page. When establishing care with the new PCM, I just brought my prescription in and he sends it to the VA pharmacy for me. I just call their number and schedule a refill and it gets delivered to my door. I'd have to look into whatever the mechanism is for the PCM to communicate with the VA. I know they use MyChart amongst the specialists I work with but I don't think it links up with whatever the VA uses.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 1, 2023

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Wrr posted:

I don't know if it will apply appropriately, but the VA has the Foreign Medical Program (FMP) for service-connected folks living abroad. You might want to see if fits your situation.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Booger Presley posted:

I don't know if it will apply appropriately, but the VA has the Foreign Medical Program (FMP) for service-connected folks living abroad. You might want to see if fits your situation.

This looks like exactly what I need. Thanks so much!

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I don't know if it's the same for everyone, but the VA will not fill a prescription from a non VA doc for me. I can get prescribed something by another doc, but I still need an appointment from the VA to get them to prescribe the same medication even if an outside doc already did. Despite that headache, I find prescriptions through the VA much more convenient; they deliver in like 2 days to my place, and they also do 6 months worth where Tricare has some wierd restrictions where I can only get 30 days at a time.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 3, 2023

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
The VA will fill prescriptions for me, but they have to be approved/filled by my VA primary physician, which is usually a huge pain for everyone involved if it’s a one-off thing. I get regular prescriptions through the VA and pay out of pocket for the odds and ends.

This mostly comes up with dental work.

E: I guess it’s along the lines of what PageMaster posted, except my VA PHP office is nice enough to do it over the phone.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 3, 2023

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
Catching up on this thread has me reflecting on my experience of trying to get rated for tinnitus and hearing loss right after I got out (w/ 40% for other things).

Right before I got out, but after my TDRL was approved, I went to the base hospital to get a copy of my records. They told me that the local VA hospital had them, as that's where I was getting evaluated for TDRL. So I went to that hospital and they were like lol looks like they're not around here, give us some time to look. They never got back to me so I filed something with the DoD (I don't really remember, it was like a decade ago) to get a copy of my records sent to me. The letter I got back was like, welp, seems to be gone! I filed again and got the same response.

A few months after I was discharged and moved to another city, I started to lose all hearing in my right ear. That particular VA hospital was loving useless (and I think the entire VA admin in the area was useless ... but I digress), so I took my tricare prime to the local uni hospital. They discovered that my eardrum was completely torn and mostly missing, and I had a bad infection, which sorta made sense because I worked around big and small guns a lot. I guess I just got used to not hearing anything, and for some reason I wasn't in any pain. So I had surgery on my ear to replace the earbones with prosthetics and replace my eardrum with muscle tissue from my jaw. (As a comical side note, whenever I go to a clinic and they look in my ears, I get asked what I've been sticking into my right ear like every time :xd:) So that was cool and good, but I still have some hearing loss and tinnitus.

I tried going to the local VSO branch, but the rep was not helpful. He'd me wait on him for like 20 minutes despite making an appointment, and then only seemed interested in telling me about his time on an amphib. Like the third visit he actually got a paper form out and started filling it out for me, when it was something I'm pretty sure you could do online, so I just ghosted him. Either way I was still missing my records from the military.

So like, almost a decade later, would it be worth the time to pursue again? It'd be nice to have an extra couple hundred to throw into retirement. The combination of missing my records, and normal VA bureaucracy seems overwhelming. I've moved to a larger city since then, and the VA and other veteran orgs here seems to have their poo poo together somewhat. I'm fairly well compensated at my current job, so taking the time to deal with VA hassles just doesn't seem worth the money, if my claim would even be approved, but at the same time I feel like I'm leaving money on the table.

I guess I can call the local DAV and see if they could hook me up, but if it's some poo poo that takes years and multiple doctors appointments gently caress that.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

dougdrums posted:

The VA will fill prescriptions for me, but they have to be approved/filled by my VA primary physician, which is usually a huge pain for everyone involved if it’s a one-off thing. I get regular prescriptions through the VA and pay out of pocket for the odds and ends.

This mostly comes up with dental work.

E: I guess it’s along the lines of what PageMaster posted, except my VA PHP office is nice enough to do it over the phone.

I had a community consult recently and was told the Rx MUST come from the specialist and all refills henceforth are through them by a RN on my PCPs team. This was after the pharmacy staff said "just have your PCP write them".

Cool, glad everyone is on the same sheet of music.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I've never had a problem getting an outside script filled, but it has to go through my PCM. I can usually just drop off the prescription with them and they'll take care of it.

Granted I've only had outside scripts given when I consulted with an outside doctor as referred by the VA. I use the VA as my primary care and do not have outside health insurance.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I should have a tax document explaining my VA disability and retirement pension right? For filing taxes?

Also, it seems my TRICARE for life turned off on Feb 1 2023, and I can't understand why if it's for LIFE. The benefits web enrollment site said that if I'm happy with coverage and making no changes then no action is needed. Why then is Walgreens telling me that I have no insurance for my kids 2nd COVID shot?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
VA disability isn't taxed and doesn't need to be reported. You should get a tax document from DFAS for your retirement and it'll also be available on MyPay.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I'll double check as I only got my W2 from my GS gig.

Gotta double check my DFAS for retiree stuff.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
If your retirement is due to a disability you probably don't have to pay taxes on that either.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
No, just did 20.

Still really flustered my tricare seems to have turned off.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

lite_sleepr posted:

No, just did 20.

My Tricare got turned off because of some gently caress up with payment processing. Maybe something like that happened.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

lite_sleepr posted:

No, just did 20.

Tricare for Life is Medicare wrap around coverage. If you just retired you have two options:

Tricare Prime (what you had while active duty) which is primarily geared towards those near military installations who want to see military providers. This will cost you $351.96/year for individual and $703.92/year for family but there are no out of pocket costs to see a mil provider.

Tricare Select is a PPO with a giant list of in network doctors across the country. This will cost $171.96/year for individual or $345/year for family in premiums but also has deductibles of $150/individual $300/family with an annual catastrophic cap of $4,028.

https://www.tricare.mil/Costs/Compare

If you’ve not been paying any premiums your coverage probably lapsed.

Also you should know that retirees don’t get dental through tricare. So if you want that coverage you will need to get it somewhere else.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Hekk posted:

Tricare for Life is Medicare wrap around coverage. If you just retired you have two options:

Tricare Prime (what you had while active duty) which is primarily geared towards those near military installations who want to see military providers. This will cost you $351.96/year for individual and $703.92/year for family but there are no out of pocket costs to see a mil provider.

Tricare Select is a PPO with a giant list of in network doctors across the country. This will cost $171.96/year for individual or $345/year for family in premiums but also has deductibles of $150/individual $300/family with an annual catastrophic cap of $4,028.

https://www.tricare.mil/Costs/Compare

If you’ve not been paying any premiums your coverage probably lapsed.

Also you should know that retirees don’t get dental through tricare. So if you want that coverage you will need to get it somewhere else.

Yea I have dental and vision through Benefeds with BCBS FEP, so that's good. In December of 2022 I paid about $650 for Tricare of some flavor, though I forget which, and I was told when I called Tricare in the late fall early winter that I'm 'good to go,' and the beneficiary enrollment website said if I'm happy with my stuff, no action is needed. I had assumed based on that, and the name Tricare for LIFE I was good. Then Walgreens told me they can't bill my insurance for the kids second covid shot, like I have 0 insurance, although on 21 Jan I got the first shot no problem, so it's like the coverage shut off 1 Feb? Fukken dumb I got ZERO notice other than several OPEN SEASON emails, which I disregarded because of the two aforementioned validations that my coverage was good.

I will just need to call on Monday and figure it out, because the BEW states I have 'direct care' coverage from 1 1 2023 -> Indefinite, and so does my son, but I can't get a proof of coverage letter because I don't have coverage. I can also click the Start Coverage button, but the prompts ask me to select a QLE, which I don't appear to have.

Gotta wait to monday and hope I don't fall violently ill I guess.

Maybe I'll use the GRB platform to enroll in real healthcare, or maybe Tricare is the best deal in the biz?

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 12, 2023

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

disability rating question for folks here. My dad's a vietnam era vet. After getting out he had PTSD so bad he ended up homeless for a decade or so and never even sought a rating. I got one for him 5-6 years back finally with the help of a VSO and VA gave him a 50% (PTSD service-connected, presumptive ALS/parkinsons risk non-service connected).

I've had a friend beating the drum at me telling me that that rating is too low and we should use a rating re-assessment service like vaclaimsinsider for him. I don't know if it worth it though or how to gauge whether he ended up with a way-too-low rating or one that's average/appropriate.

Any advice?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

El Mero Mero posted:

disability rating question for folks here. My dad's a vietnam era vet. After getting out he had PTSD so bad he ended up homeless for a decade or so and never even sought a rating. I got one for him 5-6 years back finally with the help of a VSO and VA gave him a 50% (PTSD service-connected, presumptive ALS/parkinsons risk non-service connected).

I've had a friend beating the drum at me telling me that that rating is too low and we should use a rating re-assessment service like vaclaimsinsider for him. I don't know if it worth it though or how to gauge whether he ended up with a way-too-low rating or one that's average/appropriate.

Any advice?

Speaking from my experience, I only received a 50% rating for PTSD. I'm not sure if that is assigned on a scale of severity or just a blanket value.

That being said, it might be worthwhile to explore additional service related issues to increase the rating.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

lite_sleepr posted:

Yea I have dental and vision through Benefeds with BCBS FEP, so that's good. In December of 2022 I paid about $650 for Tricare of some flavor, though I forget which, and I was told when I called Tricare in the late fall early winter that I'm 'good to go,' and the beneficiary enrollment website said if I'm happy with my stuff, no action is needed. I had assumed based on that, and the name Tricare for LIFE I was good. Then Walgreens told me they can't bill my insurance for the kids second covid shot, like I have 0 insurance, although on 21 Jan I got the first shot no problem, so it's like the coverage shut off 1 Feb? Fukken dumb I got ZERO notice other than several OPEN SEASON emails, which I disregarded because of the two aforementioned validations that my coverage was good.

I will just need to call on Monday and figure it out, because the BEW states I have 'direct care' coverage from 1 1 2023 -> Indefinite, and so does my son, but I can't get a proof of coverage letter because I don't have coverage. I can also click the Start Coverage button, but the prompts ask me to select a QLE, which I don't appear to have.

Gotta wait to monday and hope I don't fall violently ill I guess.

Maybe I'll use the GRB platform to enroll in real healthcare, or maybe Tricare is the best deal in the biz?

Tricare Select is extremely likely to be the best and least expensive coverage a family could get. Most people are paying more than 1k a month for coverage and still have out of pocket expenses if they see a doctor.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

lite_sleepr posted:

I should have a tax document explaining my VA disability and retirement pension right? For filing taxes?

Also, it seems my TRICARE for life turned off on Feb 1 2023, and I can't understand why if it's for LIFE. The benefits web enrollment site said that if I'm happy with coverage and making no changes then no action is needed. Why then is Walgreens telling me that I have no insurance for my kids 2nd COVID shot?

You only get enrolled in Tricare for life if you have Medicare part B, which has a monthly premium for enrollment, and requires you either have certain disabilities, or be on SSDI for 24 months, or be over retirement age to even be eligible for. T4L REQUIRES Medicare part B enrollment, so if you stop paying that premium you automatically lose T4L. Additionally, T4L would only cover you, not your son. Honestly, it sounds like you just had another Tricare plan (especially with a 20 year retirement) and maybe missed a premium payment for the plan that covered your son.

Edit: it's also hypothetically possible that only you have coverage right now. Assuming you do have T4L, you still need to separately enroll your family in Tricare prime or select. And while you don't have to re-enroll(like, apply) every year in whatever Tricare plan your family has, you do need to pay the enrollment fee each year to stay on it, so your T4L may not have turned off; just your dependent's plan.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

ASAPI posted:

Speaking from my experience, I only received a 50% rating for PTSD. I'm not sure if that is assigned on a scale of severity or just a blanket value.

That being said, it might be worthwhile to explore additional service related issues to increase the rating.

Disability ratings are based on severity with few exceptions, (ie: you either have blindness or you don't) and the scoring schedules are all public so you could see what the criteria are that are used to pick that percentage (or needed for a higher percentage).