Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
You can't advertise 90% off deals if you aren't charging at least 10x the profitability breakpoint.

He's a business genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
People are paying for Twitter Blue, it’s just the worst people you know and even though they appear legion, they can’t prop up the bird like, say Ford, Jeep, Chevrolet, Nestle, Yum! Brands, AT&T, The Coca-Cola Company, Dell, Mars, Inc., Wells Fargo, et. al.

You’d have to snag a lot of morons at $8/mo or $96/yr to catch up to the $750 million that the advertisers who left paid Twitter in 2022.

x: https://www.mediamatters.org/elon-musk/less-month-elon-musk-has-driven-away-half-twitters-top-100-advertisers

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I expect we should hear "lol whoops, sorry, not doing it" somewhere between Feb 8-10.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Has anybody mathed out exactly how many Twitter Blue subscribers he would need to make his loan payment with Twitter's current revenue? It has to be some utterly unrealistic number but I suck at math.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Kwyndig posted:

Has anybody mathed out exactly how many Twitter Blue subscribers he would need to make his loan payment with Twitter's current revenue? It has to be some utterly unrealistic number but I suck at math.

I’ll bite. Twitter just paid $300m towards its debts (https://www.ft.com/content/32568ca1-464b-4fcf-8694-44be6be3d686), and that was part of the $1.5b they need to pay annually to stay on top of their debt.

That’s $1,500,000,000 each year.

One Twitter Blue subscriber will pay $96 a year if they use the monthly plan (unsure if there are discounts for subbing for longer periods of time). For simplicity’s sake, I’ll call that $100/rube.

Elon Musk needs 15,000,000 rubes to stay on top of Twitter’s interest payments. Closer to 16 million when you use the $96 number.

e: that’s the population of New Jersey and Colorado combined.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

I'm pretty sure the rate sheet that's been making the rounds on Twitter is not accurate - it's a rate sheet for one of Twitter's existing APIs that was already pay-only.

The pricing for the new move hasn't been revealed yet, and I wouldn't be surprised if Musk has yet to decide on prices since he's been running things by the seat of his pants.

I think this is less about bots, and more about being desperate for cashflow and not really understanding how normal people use Twitter.

It's this. People have been bamboozled by a tweet showing the existing rates that have been around for a good while.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Last Chance posted:

It's this. People have been bamboozled by a tweet showing the existing rates that have been around for a good while.

That's going to happen when Twitter announce a major change next week, the details of which will also be revealed next week.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

It's going to be the worst when the rates are lower and everyone is tripping over themselves to praise Elon's restraint after the "leaked numbers" got negative feedback instead of rightfully telling him to go gently caress himself

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Prism posted:

The homeopathic preparations of those would probably help dehydration if you took enough of them.

Finally, we've found something homeopathy can treat.

The absolutely hilarious irony about homeopathy is that it was invented at a time where bloodletting and dosing yourself with antimony were normal treatments; "drink a glass of water" had amazing health outcomes by comparison

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Jose Valasquez posted:

It's going to be the worst when the rates are lower and everyone is tripping over themselves to praise Elon's restraint after the "leaked numbers" got negative feedback instead of rightfully telling him to go gently caress himself

He is apparently going for $100 month and ID verification to use the API.

Still pretty insane.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1621259936524300289

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

How much is this ID verification going to cost Twitter is what I want to know, because verifying people are who they say they are isn't exactly easy or cheap work, it's why Twitter had a whole team doing it before Elon fired them all in favor of the 8 dollar a month plan. Or is this going to be one of those situations where I can put up a fake passport from Cobrastan and the Musk melon will say "good enough for me!"

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Kwyndig posted:

How much is this ID verification going to cost Twitter is what I want to know, because verifying people are who they say they are isn't exactly easy or cheap work, it's why Twitter had a whole team doing it before Elon fired them all in favor of the 8 dollar a month plan. Or is this going to be one of those situations where I can put up a fake passport from Cobrastan and the Musk melon will say "good enough for me!"

It'll be the latter crossed with leaking/selling PII to his right wing friends in order to dox people.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah I suspect his right wingers pals aren't going to be worrying too much about submitting anything, it's honestly amazing to me that anybody is still considering giving him any information at all much less PII. The platform is fully and openly captured by the far right, all that info is going into a big pool that the ascendant right is going to be pulling from to terrorize people for the rest of the platform's life.

We shouldn't even be embedding it anymore but I'm the only one who thinks this apparently.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I mean if you already have an $8 a month tick than well that's you identified as a premium blue tick holder! ID enough!!!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah I suspect his right wingers pals aren't going to be worrying too much about submitting anything, it's honestly amazing to me that anybody is still considering giving him any information at all much less PII. The platform is fully and openly captured by the far right, all that info is going into a big pool that the ascendant right is going to be pulling from to terrorize people for the rest of the platform's life.

We shouldn't even be embedding it anymore but I'm the only one who thinks this apparently.

No you aren't. Let's gets a vote going.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kwyndig posted:

excuse me, this is real passport and cobrastan is real country

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Please don’t take away embedded tweets. I don’t want to click through every link to see if it’s a) broken and b) worth reading. As far as I remember, the embedding isn’t even something the forums do but how Twitter handles it? Like, if the embedding is broken for a time it’s not because Jeffery was mucking around.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think embedding is different.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If you're viewing an embedded tweet that means you haven't gone to twitters main site to be shown catturd's latest opus. That's right, embedding tweets is Censorship.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 3, 2023

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'd been trying to screencap tweets for ages, a habit formed in the Idiots on Social Media thread where these tweets would often be gone when their tweeters realized that they were ill conceived.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Just use the nitter.net or nitter.nl version of the tweet (the latter is more stable imo).

There are are also browser extensions that automatically direct to the Nitter version when you click on a Twitter link or embed which is very useful if you're like me and never want to be on or see much of Twitter ever again.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Who's going to pay $100/month to post (say) bad California license plate decisions? All the cool bots are nonprofit.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think the best thing on my timeline right now is the bots that post cute and funny pictures of animals. I don't expect or want any of them to give money to Elon.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Who's going to pay $100/month to post (say) bad California license plate decisions? All the cool bots are nonprofit.

Enterprises? $100/month/head is like a rounding error for companies like Disney.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yes, but it's not like they are currently giving that money away to people in need. Why in the world would they sponsor something that doesn't make them money?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Clarste posted:

Yes, but it's not like they are currently giving that money away to people in need. Why in the world would they sponsor something that doesn't make them money?

???

They (e: as in Disney et al) literally have people on the payroll who’s sole job is to “use Twitter.”

I’m telling you $100/month for each of those employees is literally nothing to them.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Feb 3, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Presumably they are using Twitter to advertise Disney in some way (perhaps not always clear), not posting funny DMV records from California.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Enterprises? $100/month/head is like a rounding error for companies like Disney.

Enterprises like Disney tend to not be nonprofits

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Clarste posted:

Presumably they are using Twitter to advertise Disney in some way (perhaps not always clear), not posting funny DMV records from California.

Look who knows what evils Disney does with it's mountains of golds. These are not people who rhyme nor reason apply.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

dr_rat posted:

Look who knows what evils Disney does with it's mountains of golds. These are not people who rhyme nor reason apply.

Elonjet was actually Tim Apple's personal hobby project

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

My bad I read the op as a generic “lol who’s gonna pay $100/month” not “who’s gonna pay for these stupid meme accounts.”

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm also wondering how many big corps are actually using that API, and how API licenses work in that regard. I don't think disney needs API to have some intern posting "Try Disney+ today <funny meme>"

Like Nintendo switch lets you post screenshots and videos from your switch to twitter - that almost certainly uses API, but does nintendo pay a single for a single API? Does it cost for every user? Or are they already on that advanced API that already exists and costs money?

I would not put it past a bunch of companies to just have an employee do things "the hard way" rather then paying up for APIs too.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

I'm also wondering how many big corps are actually using that API, and how API licenses work in that regard. I don't think disney needs API to have some intern posting "Try Disney+ today <funny meme>"

Like Nintendo switch lets you post screenshots and videos from your switch to twitter - that almost certainly uses API, but does nintendo pay a single for a single API? Does it cost for every user? Or are they already on that advanced API that already exists and costs money?

I would not put it past a bunch of companies to just have an employee do things "the hard way" rather then paying up for APIs too.

For the intern hypothetical it’s probably a “per seat” license which can afaik mean “per registered device/software.” So Disney pays for say 10 keys and those keys are registered to 10 machines/apps that are shared.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

I just got a notification from a f2p game I play announcing their "login with Twitter" option won't work after the API change. They're telling all users using that option to change to another login method this week.

So the limited API calls aren't just for corporate shitposting, any company using Twitter accounts to authenticate users is going to have their calls eaten up every time a user attempts to log in.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised if that's more of an issue of finding out at the same time as everyone else, having no idea what the implications are for them, and being like "okay gently caress taking any chances."

I wonder how the advertising situation is on Twitter these days. Feel like Elon's doing a really good job destroying trust in the platform.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Elon is currently live journaling his sorrow over his Twitter situation and yelling at people who are telling him the charging for API access is a mistake by tweeting random bot accounts that tweet pictures of bathrooms and saying, "Oh? This will be lost if I do? Huge loss for humanity! The money is worth it."

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1621298634573897728
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1621298953819131905

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Oxyclean posted:

I wonder how the advertising situation is on Twitter these days.

Totally legit

And yeah I agree. Elon's permanently damaged the brand. It's not going to disappear any time soon but looking at the type of ads I see people noting on it now? And he was talking about doing banking through it can you imagine giving your account info to a company in this state run by a person like that? Like even if Musk himself just vanished tomorrow I wouldn't go back to Twitter.

So I don't blame any game/site/whatever that uses the Twitter API just dropping it now.

I'm not a computer person but API, Application Programming Interface, isn't this something you want as many people to have and use as possible to keep your stuff ubiquitous? I mean I'm not smart enough to spend $44 billion on Twitter but still it seems like an odd decision.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Elon is currently live journaling his sorrow over his Twitter situation and yelling at people who are telling him the charging for API access is a mistake by tweeting random bot accounts that tweet pictures of bathrooms and saying, "Oh? This will be lost if I do? Huge loss for humanity! The money is worth it."

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1621298634573897728
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1621298953819131905

Buyer's remorse + schadenfreude owns :allears:

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Totally legit

And yeah I agree. Elon's permanently damaged the brand. It's not going to disappear any time soon but looking at the type of ads I see people noting on it now? And he was talking about doing banking through it can you imagine giving your account info to a company in this state run by a person like that? Like even if Musk himself just vanished tomorrow I wouldn't go back to Twitter.

So I don't blame any game/site/whatever that uses the Twitter API just dropping it now.

I'm not a computer person but API, Application Programming Interface, isn't this something you want as many people to have and use as possible to keep your stuff ubiquitous? I mean I'm not smart enough to spend $44 billion on Twitter but still it seems like an odd decision.

He's just desperate to monetize as much as possible because he is so deep in the financial hole that his only option is to keep digging and hope he finds oil. Twitter has lost many of its big advertisers and been saddled with yearly debt payments that exceed its prepandemic profits. His own personal wealth, and Tesla stock, is also closely tied to it because of the ridiculous overdid.

There's a lot of sound and fury but the story is basically over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm a computer person who should probably know more about this stuff, but it totally depends. I'm certain some things do sell/charge for API access, and can make a good argument for it. A good API takes some work to set up too. Like say you have a big data set - people can come look at it, but if they want to manipulate it with applications in more powerful ways, maybe they gotta pay a small charge. Dunno.

In the case of twitter, it feels like the biggest uses of the API is letting people post through other applications. There's probably a reasonable argument for wanting to charge corporations who have fancy tweet scheduling and automation as part of their marketing strategy, but I assume that could be probably be better handled through some advertiser policy? The other defense that Elon is holding up is to stop bots (which API probably does make much easier to run) - but it's really not hard to make a bot that will just post through real twitter / skip the API. Or if it's a scamming bot they'll just pay the charge and maybe still make a profit.

This will kill off a lot of gimmick accounts that repost memes, cute cat pictures, every single frame of Lord of the Rings, etc. and to that end, it's an incredibly boneheaded move because those kinds of "bots" almost certainly drive engagement with the app. I also know of an app that allows you to cross post art to many websites, and without API access to Twitter, that dies too. So to your point, in this case, Twitter's API being free is definitely something that seems hugely beneficial for the site.