Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Just want to re-iterate in huge, indescribably large neon flashing lights:

gently caress VIRGIN MEDIA.

IF YOU VALUE YOUR SANITY AND YOUR MONEY, AVOID VIRGIN MEDIA AT ALL COSTS.

IF YOU SEE RICHARD BRANSON IN REAL LIFE, YOU HAVE MY EXPRESS ORDERS TO FORCE FEED HIM A HUB3 ROUTER AND THROW HIM DOWN THE STAIRS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Only Kindness posted:

Doing what's right for the country == doing things that are unpopular, such as underpaying people, because underpaying people is good for the country.

Sure, makes perfect sense. Did he forget that he's prime minister?

Weird how these masters of the universe are actually just smol beans that can't get anything done uwu

Underpaying people is only good for the corrupt, rich people (in the government) funneling the money into their own pockets or their friends, rather than giving it to the public to keep the economic cycle running.

It's loving mental more people aren't publicly calling them out for this or burning down the buildings in rage.

It's like blatantly obvious at this point.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

mrpwase posted:

I've had Virgin since I moved to Leeds ~4 years ago, but recently they sent their "unfortunately due to current circumstances we have to jack our already high prices up even further" email, which has prompted me to get off my arse and check what else is available. Never had a problem with them in that time, and therefore never had to contact customer service, so I count myself lucky.

Payndz posted:

After several years of their prices creeping up by a quid here and two quid there, Virgin just went all-in and told me they're going up by £7 a month as of April. Broadband-only was £35 when I first got it circa 2018, now £45, so gently caress paying £52.

Call them up and threaten to switch, they tried the same thing to me last year and ended up bumping us up to 1gig from 0.75 for free. It's the usual service thing where they sent out a blanket raise and rely on people not pushing back.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

frytechnician posted:

IF YOU SEE RICHARD BRANSON IN REAL LIFE, YOU HAVE MY EXPRESS ORDERS TO FORCE FEED HIM A HUB3 ROUTER AND THROW HIM DOWN THE STAIRS.

Love it to have the internet go out in the middle of the day because Virgin's stupid loving hub goes "ooh an update is available? well no-one is doing anything important at 2 PM on a workday" *reboot*

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

sebzilla posted:

Good news for the WFH crew

...if you can manage on a 5mbps copper line with diabollical jitter.

Virgin seem to be the best of the big ISPs but we swapped to gigaclear recently and it's been night and day; however, in true private sector fashion the small players are all building their own seperate fttp networks so we've had the road up multiple times so 3x different startups can all get their competing infrastructrure in and then had OpenReach rush round upgrading all the telegraph poles presumerably bricking it that they're going to lose market share, just can't beat the private sector for co-ordination and efficiency

I've heard about some areas getting openfibre but it seems to be limited to new housing developments and isn't being widely adopted a unified standard.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Tesseraction posted:

Call them up and threaten to switch, they tried the same thing to me last year and ended up bumping us up to 1gig from 0.75 for free. It's the usual service thing where they sent out a blanket raise and rely on people not pushing back.

Yeah I do this every time my contract is up. I'm still paying the same rates I was 6 years ago.

I'm actually awaiting my price rise atm, cos it gets me out of contract so I can move to some of the other providers as the openreach expansion has finally hit my area. So virgin media are no longer the only provider with +200mb speeds.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Feb 3, 2023

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

frytechnician posted:

The scam Virgin Media pulled on me was to call up and say, "Do you want a free upgrade to a higher bandwidth?" I say yes, they don't mention that the upgrade stops being free after three months and then the bill will be twice as much.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gort posted:

The scam Virgin Media pulled on me was to call up and say, "Do you want a free upgrade to a higher bandwidth?" I say yes, they don't mention that the upgrade stops being free after three months and then the bill will be twice as much.

Not to victim-blame but it feels like you should have twigged that this was the work of the Wallet Inspector

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
While people are talking about infrastructure can someone sanity check this utilities situation?

We're off our fixed energy tariff now and Octopus unsurprisingly want us to put our DD up.

Octopus's suggested DD has us topping out at about 500quid credit by summer; however, they (seem) to allow us to put it as low as i want provided it goes into credit at least once within a rolling 12months. On that basis, I have set it so that it tips into 1quid credit just once and remains in debit for the remainder of the year. They have accepted this arrangement so far...

I realise that if I move house etc i will have to settle up and am prepared for that but if take the ~500quid and stick it in a high interest account I can leave it there to accumulate of it's own accord, if i give it to Octopus as credit I get nothing.

As far as i can tell there's no interest being applied to that debt and it doesn't appear on any credit scoring(?), it's basically an invisible loan from my utility company? Feels too good to be true!

edit: + becasue neither debit or credit appear to be interest bearing, if i do give it to Octopus it's being eaten away month on month.

Rustybear fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Feb 3, 2023

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I very fortunately managed to get away from Virgin last year when a local fiber company expanded to my area. They're lovely, basically have no problems with the gigabit connection, and when we did start having a problem I rang them, got through immediately, had an engineer out two days later, and it was fixed within 15 minutes.

I still have a bookmarked thread from where we were complaining on the Virgin Media forums that our internet would drop out every single day for hours at a time and they completely refused to do anything about it, until my dad stopped paying them whenever it happened.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

EvilHawk posted:

they completely refused to do anything about it, until my dad stopped paying them whenever it happened.

Huh what a bizarre coincidence.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Sounds like Virgin really did pick up everything from NTL

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Depending on how close you are willing to go to the cancellation date, the offers from Virgin will keep getting better and better.

This was sent to me on my disconnection date.

I'll be honest, if I had gotten that offer earlier I would have been tempted to stay with Virgin. However I ended up having Gb FTTP installed and they are charging less than Virgin ever did.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

sebzilla posted:

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1621306107074412544?t=GE010JQQfKrAOiW646h6MA&s=19

I'm told that's 17/20 council seats in Bristol West now Green. Time for a second MP (please?)

It's been really loving funny seeing folks on the Graun (both above and below the line) show their complete ignorance of Bristolian politics when commenting about this.

Yeah, Thangers has a 30k majority. She went from 5k to 37k in a little year called 2017, and not because she was an amazing MP.

She'd do well to hang onto a 5k majority next year, and could well be out on her arse. Good, she's in with the TERF crowd and Carla Denyer's a good'un

frytechnician posted:

This is such common wisdom that friends and I now just refer to disconnects as "getting Bransoned"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

mfcrocker posted:

It's been really loving funny seeing folks on the Graun (both above and below the line) show their complete ignorance of Bristolian politics when commenting about this.

Yeah, Thangers has a 30k majority. She went from 5k to 37k in a little year called 2017, and not because she was an amazing MP.

She'd do well to hang onto a 5k majority next year, and could well be out on her arse. Good, she's in with the TERF crowd and Carla Denyer's a good'un

I'm doing my bit :hai:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Rarity posted:

I'm doing my bit :hai:

Likewise :hai:

E&W Greens as a party can absolutely do one and there's no way Denyer actually manages to rid the party of its transphobia problems, but I'm still gonna vote for her over someone who's best chums with Sarah Ditum.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’m always sad that the city proper tends to have ok politics and then once you get literally right next door to to the bit I’m in everyone’s gone mad and voted in the same useless Tory oval office repeatedly since the constituency was drawn up in 2010

Almost as if they made it that way on purpose :thunk:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

History Comes Inside! posted:

I’m always sad that the city proper tends to have ok politics and then once you get literally right next door to to the bit I’m in everyone’s gone mad and voted in the same useless Tory oval office repeatedly since the constituency was drawn up in 2010

Almost as if they made it that way on purpose :thunk:

Somerset and Gloucestershire were mistakes

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

mfcrocker posted:

Likewise :hai:

E&W Greens as a party can absolutely do one and there's no way Denyer actually manages to rid the party of its transphobia problems, but I'm still gonna vote for her over someone who's best chums with Sarah Ditum.

Yeah prolly but otoh the only hope for it ever managing to do that is by cool people with good opinions doing sick kickflip entryism and booting out the terf contingent. And getting Denyer as MP#2 wouldn't hurt. My local guy also seems decent (after replacing my nemesis MSC) so I'm all in on the Green train for the next election. Hoping to get down to the big city and help you lot out as well as doing my own stuff.

e:

mfcrocker posted:

Somerset and Gloucestershire were mistakes

I want to disagree with this but it's difficult

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Payndz posted:

After several years of their prices creeping up by a quid here and two quid there, Virgin just went all-in and told me they're going up by £7 a month as of April. Broadband-only was £35 when I first got it circa 2018, now £45, so gently caress paying £52.

Looks like my local options are Sky, Vodafone, Plusnet, Now and Shell - anyone got any recommendations/horror stories with those?

Have used both Sky and Vodafone. Performance was about the same for both but Voda uses a better modem which actually lets you install a pi-hole.

Also I generally prefer Voda's customer support from my years using them for mobile. I've never had any need to complain to Sky though.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
Does everything Virgin touch turn to poo poo?

I signed up for a credit card with Virgin Money, the app refuses to work for a bunch of people including myself (and they took down website-based access to save a few quid, so it's app-only) and the phone queues are several hours long only for them not to solve your problem.

So after that, plus the fact that they're rated dead last on trustpilot out of all UK financial institutions, I just didn't loving bother pursuing it any further. People who were previously with Clydesdale Bank or whichever bank they took over must be loving furious.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lamont posted:

People who were previously with Clydesdale Bank or whichever bank they took over must be loving furious.

hi

To be honest they still have the web interface for the banking stuff so I haven't really noticed much difference.

But if they get rid of that yes I'm moving bank.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Kin posted:

Humans (especially children) are more important than dogs.

You can't just make poo poo up and post no sources. :dogout:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Lamont posted:

I signed up for a credit card with Virgin Money, the app refuses to work for a bunch of people including myself (and they took down website-based access to save a few quid, so it's app-only) and the phone queues are several hours long only for them not to solve your problem.

So after that, plus the fact that they're rated dead last on trustpilot out of all UK financial institutions, I just didn't loving bother pursuing it any further. People who were previously with Clydesdale Bank or whichever bank they took over must be loving furious.

Virgin Money’s credit card app is the biggest pile of wank in history.

It doesn’t save any payment details for debit cards you use to pay balances off, so every time I want to pay extra on a balance beyond my direct debit I have to go get my card like some kind of caveman instead of just whacking in the last 3 digits like every other payment processor on the planet.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Lamont posted:

Lol they literally didn’t have an app when I was with them, maybe 4 years ago? Kept saying it was coming for years.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1621464895664316416?cxt=HHwWgICzneruzIAtAAAA

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Given she didn't make it another year I feel like that should be a very minor treason.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I got a survey in from the Greens the other day and I filled it out. I said that as much as I would like to vote for them, the issues with transphobia added with the fact that RLB is my MP means that they really have to have a really, really good platform before I would hand them my vote.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Given she didn't make it another year I feel like that should be a very minor treason.
Or a successful one.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

Or a successful one.

He tried to kill the queen with shock, by telling her she was going to make Truss PM. She laughed it off...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

"I've come here to kill the queen.... with kindness"

*gets tackled and the high-quality wine I was carrying is dealt with in a controlled explosion*

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Does that get you hung drawn and quartered?

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Skull Servant posted:

I got a survey in from the Greens the other day and I filled it out. I said that as much as I would like to vote for them, the issues with transphobia added with the fact that RLB is my MP means that they really have to have a really, really good platform before I would hand them my vote.

Same. I'm conflicted because RLB is a good 'un but I'm really struggling with the fact that voting labour is a lost cause.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Z the IVth posted:

Does that get you hung drawn and quartered?

Well she's dead now so she's escaped justice anyway

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Rustybear posted:

While people are talking about infrastructure can someone sanity check this utilities situation?

We're off our fixed energy tariff now and Octopus unsurprisingly want us to put our DD up.

Octopus's suggested DD has us topping out at about 500quid credit by summer; however, they (seem) to allow us to put it as low as i want provided it goes into credit at least once within a rolling 12months. On that basis, I have set it so that it tips into 1quid credit just once and remains in debit for the remainder of the year. They have accepted this arrangement so far...

I realise that if I move house etc i will have to settle up and am prepared for that but if take the ~500quid and stick it in a high interest account I can leave it there to accumulate of it's own accord, if i give it to Octopus as credit I get nothing.

As far as i can tell there's no interest being applied to that debt and it doesn't appear on any credit scoring(?), it's basically an invisible loan from my utility company? Feels too good to be true!

edit: + becasue neither debit or credit appear to be interest bearing, if i do give it to Octopus it's being eaten away month on month.

I'm a little confuzzled.
If you've set your debit so you go into credit just the once, then at that point in the year there is no debt which probably means you're not £500 in debt at any point but pretty much paying a monthly DD that covers your average annual usage? So why would you need to give them £500?
I take it you've used the prediction graph to set your amount?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

StarkingBarfish posted:

Same. I'm conflicted because RLB is a good 'un but I'm really struggling with the fact that voting labour is a lost cause.

I won't be voting Labour because my MP sucks and lol at the party in general. I'd vote for any of the SCG though, even if I think some of them are a bit loving limp. The best likely outcome for next government would be a small Labour majority that relies on the SCG to pass legislation. Sad loving state of affairs but there it is.

It would also be very hard to spin a vote for RLB as tacit support for Starmer (not that reality matters to them) after the way he knifed her

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I'm in the Green Party but haven't done anything with it yet, mainly due to feeling incredibly demoralised about the current political situation. (What's the point :cry:)

I'm actually Bristol-based, so perhaps I should get involved, would be great to have played a part in tossing Thangam Debonnaire out come the next election.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

StarkingBarfish posted:

I had this dilemma in 2005. Excellent local lefty MP (Neil Gerrard) but Blair & Iraq. In the end I wrote to Neil Gerrard and said I very much regretted that I couldn't vote for Labour because Blair would take it as a vindication of his ideology. Can't remember if I voted green or piss diamond that time. The one and only time I didn't vote Labour (so far.... ). I might have felt differently if Walthamstow at that time had had the faintest chance of not returning a Labour MP!

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I live in a stone cold Tory safe seat so I don't have to vote at all. It's pretty pog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I live in a stone cold Tory safe seat so I don't have to vote at all. It's pretty pog

Ditto. But isn't this an incentive for voting someone who you agree with? Safe seats to me, have been a reason to vote with my conscience.