Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Pantsless Hero posted:

I have a rough draft going here. Needs more refinement, was trying for landfall value with a few cards to help stack the deck and set up fun cascades. Maybe get some ideas there, maybe it's terrible. Also, the Warhammer 40k decks gave us this new cost reducer:

If you aren't playing a bunch of flash creatures, that's basically just a worn powerstone or overgrowth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Khanstant posted:

I hope they reprint those cards/decks as Magic themed cards someday.

They've said they will for all Universes Beyond stuff, eventually

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Khanstant posted:

I hope they reprint those cards/decks as Magic themed cards someday.

I wonder about that, since some of the cards relate to 40K specific types, aka what used to be the "Lady of Proper Etiquette" problem where black-border Magic rules needed to support some level of silver-border silliness. They may pick and choose cards that are mechanically unrelated to this IP pollution, because the way cards work "CARDNAME" is allowed to be changed without functionally altering the cards despite the text changing. Yeah, you can say "Tyranids are Beebles in Magic world" but it's more overhead. Also, the issue then is that that adds the issue of "can I play both" which matters since the big format is singleton. It would have worked fine if they'd done the Godzilla treatment from the start, and they could still do that retroactively as they did the Stranger Things. It's slightly worse for a spell card where you're more likely to want 2 in the 99, whereas the ability to understand it for a legend seems slightly easier. Sure, to have this off-the-card errata is more viable in 2023 than it was in 1997 or whatever but it's still a bit messy. Also, there's a lot more of them; there are apparently 37 Tyranid typed cards, for instance. At that point, you're practically reprinting the entire precon which might change the viability of that as a product.

This is regardless of whether you think you should believe Wizards when they say anything.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Unless that changed since November, this is not true: https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/701053748314832896/some-of-the-40k-cards-are-seeing-play-in

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Magnetic North posted:

It would have worked fine if they'd done the Godzilla treatment from the start, and they could still do that retroactively as they did the Stranger Things.

The Stranger Things Universe Within card aren't like the Godzilla cards, they're just renamed versions of the ST UB cards. The only thing that makes it apparent that it's a copy of another card is the set number.

vs

(Notice the little " = SLD 347 " on the bottom)

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Feb 3, 2023

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Ah, it's just the Secret Lairs they've promised to do this for. That makes sense as the number of cards is smaller, but sucks overall.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pantsless Hero posted:

I have a rough draft going here. Needs more refinement, was trying for landfall value with a few cards to help stack the deck and set up fun cascades. Maybe get some ideas there, maybe it's terrible. Also, the Warhammer 40k decks gave us this new cost reducer:

I stuck this card in my Miirym deck and it does a lot of work there. Gets her out earlier and draws hate that would otherwise be directed at my Rhythm of the Wild or Panharmonicon. It shares a drop slot with Rhythm, but I'm never unhappy to see either of them on my turn 3.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
I'm assuming we're going to get a "Universes Beyond Masters" type set in 2030 to magic-ify and reprint a bunch of cards.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The Warhammer cards are going to be harder if they end the license, since they used Copyrighted names as creature types.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The Warhammer cards are going to be harder if they end the license, since they used Copyrighted names as creature types.

MaRo has always said that if the Warhammer cards get Magic-themed reprints, they will get newly created creature types that map 1:1 with the Warhammer types.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Pantsless Hero posted:

I like it! One thing I liked about my build back when I had it is all the counterspells that are actually good to cascade into. Things like Spelljack (just counter Maelstrom Wanderer and cast it again!), Remand (back to my hand to recast), Venser, etc. I also found that sometimes I'd run out of threats, especially after dumping a lot of permanents out and getting board wiped, so I'd include a Memory's Journey and Loaming Shaman to restock my deck.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Stranger Things Universe Within card aren't like the Godzilla cards, they're just renamed versions of the ST UB cards. The only thing that makes it apparent that it's a copy of another card is the set number.

vs

(Notice the little " = SLD 347 " on the bottom)

I still find it funny that the in-universe Stranger Things cards are a bunch of Innistrad characters with the cornball "Friends Forever" ability

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Framboise posted:

I still find it funny that the in-universe Stranger Things cards are a bunch of Innistrad characters with the cornball "Friends Forever" ability

I might build a low power deck using Cecily, Haunted Mage who is Friends Forever with Will, the Wise

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Wizards: Friends Forever, TOTALLY NOT PARTNER, THIS MECHANIC ISN'T COMPATIBLE WITH PARTNER!!!!! Original idea, donut steel!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Batterypowered7 posted:

Wizards: Friends Forever, TOTALLY NOT PARTNER, THIS MECHANIC ISN'T COMPATIBLE WITH PARTNER!!!!! Original idea, donut steel!

Looking forward to I'm Lovin In: This Value Meal can begin in your Command Zone. As an additional cost to play this Value Meal, stand up and say "McDonald's" .

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Batterypowered7 posted:

If it were just Partner, literally the only use for any of the Stranger Things cards would be partnering Will the Wise with one of these guys to get Lurrus as a companion, as Tynma costs 3.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

If it were just Partner, literally the only use for any of the Stranger Things cards would be partnering Will the Wise with one of these guys to get Lurrus as a companion, as Tynma costs 3.

Cecily is strong full stop, there's an infinite combo with Wernog, Othelm is definitely breakable.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
My point is that they could have made another on-theme keyword for it. "Fatebound" or something.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

pseudanonymous posted:

Cecily is strong full stop, there's an infinite combo with Wernog, Othelm is definitely breakable.

What's the combo?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Framboise posted:

What's the combo?

WERNOG, RIDER'S CHAPLAIN + KRARK-CLAN IRONWORKS + ELDRAZI DISPLACER

WERNOG, RIDER'S CHAPLAIN + KRARK-CLAN IRONWORKS + EMIEL THE BLESSED

KCI + Nim + Wernog

There's other more complex ones.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Wouldn't that combo stop dead if no else investigates? Flickering him costs three and you're only guaranteed one clue.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Wouldn't that combo stop dead if no else investigates? Flickering him costs three and you're only guaranteed one clue.

It's fine if you have one artifact to get you started. You get one clue on etb, sac them both, then you get one clue when Wernog leaves and another when he ETBs again.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

pseudanonymous posted:

WERNOG, RIDER'S CHAPLAIN + KRARK-CLAN IRONWORKS + ELDRAZI DISPLACER

WERNOG, RIDER'S CHAPLAIN + KRARK-CLAN IRONWORKS + EMIEL THE BLESSED

KCI + Nim + Wernog

There's other more complex ones.

Oh, I thought you meant it combos with Cecily. I was really confused for a moment lol

That doesn't work anyway with that pairing, Emiel is has a Selesnya color identity. Unless I'm missing something?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Framboise posted:

Oh, I thought you meant it combos with Cecily. I was really confused for a moment lol

That doesn't work anyway with that pairing, Emiel is has a Selesnya color identity. Unless I'm missing something?

Emiel's flicker ability costs 3

The horse's other ability, that may as well be flavor text, is W/G

Edit: you are correct that Emiel could not legally be in an Eleven/Will deck, would have to partner with Max or Mike

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 3, 2023

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Quick, someone convince Sheldon to let us play hybrid mana cards in decks with commanders that only have one of the colors in their color identity!

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Framboise posted:

My sentence was grammatically incorrect, it should've read

quote:

Cecily is strong full stop; there's an infinite combo with Wernog, Othelm is definitely breakable.

The Wernog combos don't rely on the partner being anything specific so you can get the colors you need.

Cecil is just a good commander imo, full stop, slightly overshadowed by their being so many strong grixis commanders

Othelm there are ways to make him untap over and over, like corridor monitor (yes you'd need other pieces as well as the color identity).

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Ah gotcha.

Yeah grixis is ridiculously competitive when it comes to commander choice, but ultimately I don't think it matters too much and boils down to preference. If you want bleeding edge grixis action, you're probably on RogSi anyway, but pretty much anything else is just a matter of taste and how you want to win opposed to when.

You can probably do just as well with Cecily as you could with Cormela, Anhelo, Evelyn, Inalla, and so on. Probably outclassed by Kess and Kraum/Tevesh, but yeah.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

disaster pastor posted:

MaRo has always said that if the Warhammer cards get Magic-themed reprints, they will get newly created creature types that map 1:1 with the Warhammer types.

Astartes::Metathran
Tyranid::Alien
Necron::Robot

work's done wotc give me money plz

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Silhouette posted:

Astartes::Metathran
Tyranid::Alien
Necron::Robot

work's done wotc give me money plz

Astartes: rear end Tarts
Tyranid: Thyroids
Necron: Nipples

give me the money instead wotc

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

drat I kinda got shafted with my ONE set box, I... really didn't get all that many good cards. I got two Planeswalkers... both nahiri

Didn't even get the rotpriest I was really gunning for, like drat I think I'm switching to just buying singles from now on this is really disappointing

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The one common I really wanting, Crawling Chorus, wasn't in my pre-release or fatpack. Thankfully someone gave me a foil one just because I was talking about wanting one. Iit was foil because he gets rid of or trades his foils b/c they strain his eyes to play with. TBH I'm not a foil fan either usually but the crawling chorus look pretty cool with some rainbow sheen to its creepy faces.

edit: Would a card like Drop of Honey (during your upkeep destroy creature with lowest power, if tie you choose) but it only affected a player or each player who attacked you last turn, be OP at 2 CMC?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 6, 2023

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
I need to bring the dockside chat back for one sec because I need to know if I am totally off base. Even at the upgraded precon level of power is it abnormal for there to be at least 5 dockside hits by turn 3? And while that isn't oh my god win the game it's still a very good rate of return.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

We play a bit above that power level and I'd guess at an average of 3 treasures for an on curve Dockside

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

MasterBuilder posted:

I need to bring the dockside chat back for one sec because I need to know if I am totally off base. Even at the upgraded precon level of power is it abnormal for there to be at least 5 dockside hits by turn 3? And while that isn't oh my god win the game it's still a very good rate of return.

It depends on the decks you're playing with, I have a mardu partner artifact aggro/tokens deck that's fairly mid on the power scale but will regularly have 3-5 artifacts on the board on turn 3, which makes dockside way more powerful against it than other similarly powered decks.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I made a pretty badass deck today. I was recovering from my brain melting and not understanding written words, but I think I aced it.

quote:

1 Jaxis, the Troublemaker (Commander)
1 Big Score
1 Cathartic Pyre
1 Cathartic Reunion
1 Cavalier of Flame
1 Change of Fortune
1 Cleansing Wildfire
1 Collective Defiance
1 Dangerous Wager
1 Faithless Looting
1 Fateful Showdown
1 Geomancer's Gambit
1 Goblin Lore
1 Imposing Grandeur
1 Magmatic Insight
1 Nahiri's Lithoforming
1 Shattered Perception
1 Thrill of Possibility
1 Tormenting Voice
81 Mountain

Honestly I think it's foolproof and probably the best deck that's ever been made.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Cut 1 mountain for a sol ring a good to go

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Cut 3 mountains for a Reliquary Tower, a Mana Flare, and a Fireball and you're good to go

:v:

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I believe the deck should run insurrection, but I feel that way about most decks so, whatever.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I'm tentatively putting together a deck with Mondrak, Glory Dominus as commander. I'm thinking my focus should be token swarm, with a side of poison. (I pulled a decent number of cards that make Phyrexian Mites in the pre-release). Does this sound viable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Totally, already just been trying to shove Mondrak and friends into existing token decks and it's been great. Adding them to the faerie deck I'm building and a custom aristocrats deck I'm brewing. If you also lean into corrupted a bit shouldn't be too hard to activate on one or more players.