Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm curious what some free-floating balloon can supposedly accomplish that satellites can't. Is it 1944?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

I love the wording of this thing

the evil Chinese are deviously building factories in MEXICO and then secretly trucking their products into the US, under a little known free trade deal that we just heard about today, and even duplicitous labeling them "MADE IN MEXICO"! Inscrutable!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I hope they shoot it down and find out its an advertisement for the new DJI camera. Just giant rear end DJI Action logo on the top side.

punissuer
Nov 6, 2009
I just assumed it was the make sunsets lunatics again

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

KomradeX posted:

Maybe I'm naive but I just assumed this thing was a weather ballon and the hooting about spy ballons is being driven by an insane war aparatus in a dying empire that feels the need to rachet up fear at every turn

https://www.guancha.cn/internation/2023_02_03_678476.shtml

"According to the news on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on February 3, the spokesperson of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs answered a reporter's question on the Chinese unmanned airship straying into the airspace of the United States due to force majeure.

Q: According to media reports, a Chinese unmanned airship appeared in the US airspace recently. What is China's comment?

A: The airship comes from China and is of a civilian nature, used for scientific research such as meteorology. Affected by the westerly wind and its own control ability is limited, the airship seriously deviated from the scheduled route. China regrets that the airship strayed into the United States due to force majeure. China will continue to maintain communication with the US to properly handle the unexpected situation caused by force majeure."

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i cant possibly imagine being upset about the balloon

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

US intelligence flabbergasted that you wouldn't use a painfully obvious method of collecting intelligence,

punissuer
Nov 6, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

I love the wording of this thing

the evil Chinese are deviously building factories in MEXICO and then secretly trucking their products into the US, under a little known free trade deal that we just heard about today, and even duplicitous labeling them "MADE IN MEXICO"! Inscrutable!

Isn't this what Amazon has done with their 21 million dollar Tijuana facility?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

I hope they shoot it down and find out its an advertisement for the new DJI camera. Just giant rear end DJI Action logo on the top side.

You joke, but they'd 100% put them on the genocide sanction list.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

DiscountDildos posted:

https://www.guancha.cn/internation/2023_02_03_678476.shtml

"According to the news on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on February 3, the spokesperson of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs answered a reporter's question on the Chinese unmanned airship straying into the airspace of the United States due to force majeure.

Q: According to media reports, a Chinese unmanned airship appeared in the US airspace recently. What is China's comment?

A: The airship comes from China and is of a civilian nature, used for scientific research such as meteorology. Affected by the westerly wind and its own control ability is limited, the airship seriously deviated from the scheduled route. China regrets that the airship strayed into the United States due to force majeure. China will continue to maintain communication with the US to properly handle the unexpected situation caused by force majeure."

I can't believe God did this

punissuer
Nov 6, 2009
edit: double post

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Multi-thread posting

https://twitter.com/RWApodcast/status/1621374590495723522

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm curious what some free-floating balloon can supposedly accomplish that satellites can't. Is it 1944?

it's cheaper

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

lollontee posted:

it's cheaper

I feel like the slow movement, being very obvious and the unpredictability of the wind over long distances kind of outweigh cheapness.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KomradeX posted:

I feel like the slow movement, being very obvious and the unpredictability of the wind over long distances kind of outweigh cheapness.

not when you can calculate probable wind directions, and being very obvious does not make it easy to shoot down, and being cheap lets you make a billion of them, if you were so inclined

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
it’s like when the Japanese deployed OVER 9000 balloons the terrorize America

the results: the equivalent of 100% of casualties inflicted on Americans in the actual United States in WW2. wait not the equivalent, it WAS 100% of them. six, by the way

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

lollontee posted:

not when you can calculate probable wind directions, and being very obvious does not make it easy to shoot down, and being cheap lets you make a billion of them, if you were so inclined

The problem is probable, not exact, doesnt do you much good if wind drift takes you two or three states over from where you needed to be

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

lollontee posted:

A billion of them? So that's how China will destroy America. They'll release enough balloons to blot out the sun, sending us into a deep freeze, massive crops failure, and basically force us to live under artificial lights for the rest of our lives.

We need to develop anti-balloons weapons, we cannot have a balloon gap.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
lol blinken cancelled his trip because of the balloon, what a world class chen tweet

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

lollontee posted:

it's cheaper

I guess I just assumed the satellites were already up there

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Directly measure atmospheric conditions, gather samples of upper atmospheric dust or microbes, evaluate the precision of wind modeling.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Trabisnikof posted:

Directly measure atmospheric conditions, gather samples of upper atmospheric dust or microbes, evaluate the precision of wind modeling.

sound p inscrutable to me

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Centrist Committee posted:

lol blinken cancelled his trip because of the balloon, what a world class chen tweet

Can Xi send a balloon over my way? I too have some boring work meetings I need an BS excuse to get out of. (Does the US also still use “weather” balloons or is it all spy satellites now? Also I guess how frequently are regular weather balloons used these days. Are they still the only way to measure wind speeds not at the ground?)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pulcinella posted:

Can Xi send a balloon over my way? I too have some boring work meetings I need an BS excuse to get out of. (Does the US also still use “weather” balloons or is it all spy satellites now? Also I guess how frequently are regular weather balloons used these days. Are they still the only way to measure wind speeds not at the ground?)

there was a recent report of america planning to use a small cheap network of balloons to do domestic surveillance like 10 or so balloons would cover the whole lower 48 since they fly so high.

the guardian posted:

The US military is conducting wide-area surveillance tests across six midwest states using experimental high-altitude balloons, documents filed with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) reveal.

Up to 25 unmanned solar-powered balloons are being launched from rural South Dakota and drifting 250 miles through an area spanning portions of Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin and Missouri, before concluding in central Illinois.

Travelling in the stratosphere at altitudes of up to 65,000ft, the balloons are intended to “provide a persistent surveillance system to locate and deter narcotic trafficking and homeland security threats”, according to a filing made on behalf of the Sierra Nevada Corporation, an aerospace and defence company.

The balloons are carrying hi-tech radars designed to simultaneously track many individual vehicles day or night, through any kind of weather. The tests, which have not previously been reported, received an FCC license to operate from mid-July until September, following similar flights licensed last year.

Arthur Holland Michel, the co-director of the Center for the Study of the Drone at Bard College in New York, said, “What this new technology proposes is to watch everything at once. Sometimes it’s referred to as ‘combat TiVo’ because when an event happens somewhere in the surveilled area, you can potentially rewind the tape to see exactly what occurred, and rewind even further to see who was involved and where they came from.”

The tests have been commissioned by the US Southern Command (Southcom), which is responsible for disaster response, intelligence operations and security cooperation in the Caribbean and Central and South America. Southcom is a joint effort by the US army, navy, air force and other forces, and one of its key roles is identifying and intercepting drug shipments headed for the United States.

“We do not think that American cities should be subject to wide-area surveillance in which every vehicle could be tracked wherever they go,” said Jay Stanley, a senior policy analyst at the American Civil Liberties Union.

“Even in tests, they’re still collecting a lot of data on Americans: who’s driving to the union house, the church, the mosque, the Alzheimer’s clinic,” he said. “We should not go down the road of allowing this to be used in the United States and it’s disturbing to hear that these tests are being carried out, by the military no less.”

For many years, Sierra Nevada has supplied Southcom with light aircraft packed with millions of dollars’ worth of sensors, which then flew over Mexico, Colombia, Panama and the Caribbean sea. But planes require expensive crews and can only fly for a few hours at a time. In a report to the Senate armed services committee this February, Southcom’s commander, Admiral Craig Faller, wrote: “While improving efficiency, we still only successfully interdicted about six percent of known drug movements [in 2018].”

The new balloons promise a cheap surveillance platform that could follow multiple cars and boats for extended periods. And because winds often travel in different directions at different altitudes, the balloons can usually hover over a given area simply by ascending or descending.

Neither Sierra Nevada nor US Southcom responded to requests for comment on this story. However, the rival balloon operator World View recently announced that it had carried out multi-week test missions in which its own stratospheric balloons were able to hover over a five-mile-diameter area for six and a half hours, and larger areas for days at a time.

“The very nature of [these balloons] is that they can operate for weeks and months,” said Ryan Hartman, the CEO of World View. “The challenge is how to harness the stratospheric winds to be able to create a persistent station-keeping capability for customers.”

Raven Aerostar, the company that is supplying the balloons for Southcom’s tests and launching them from its facility in South Dakota, told the Guardian that it has had balloons remain aloft for nearly a month. Raven also makes balloons for the Alphabet subsidiary Loon, which uses them to help deliver internet and cellphone service from the stratosphere.

The FCC documents show that Southcom’s balloons are carrying small, satellite-like vehicles housing sophisticated sensors and communication gear. One of those sensors is a synthetic aperture radar intended to detect every car or boat in motion on a 25-mile swath beneath the balloon.

The balloons also have advanced mesh networking technologies that allow them to communicate with one another, share data and pass it to receivers on the ground below.

The FCC filing notes that this networking includes video information. That suggests that the balloons might also carry a Sierra Nevada video capture system called Gorgon Stare. This wide-area surveillance system comprises nine cameras capable of recording panoramic images across an entire city simultaneously.

While Gorgon Stare is usually deployed on drones, Michel said that the US army has used tethered spy blimps in Afghanistan, and that US Customs and Border Protection has experimented with low-altitude balloons along the Mexico border.

But surveillance from stratospheric balloons is relatively new, said Michel, author of Eyes in the Sky, a recent book on wide area surveillance: “The higher the altitude of the system, the wider the area that you can cover. The trade-off is that depending on the area and the system, you may get lower-resolution images.” Balloons are also subject to fewer restrictions and regulations than drones.

It is unclear from the FCC documents whether Southcom’s tests within the US are linked to any active narcotic or counter-terrorism investigations. Also, none of the parties involved would say whether the midwest vehicle data would be deleted, stored or passed on to other federal or local agencies.

“[We would like to know] what they are they doing with that data, how they are storing it, and whether they are contemplating deploying this in the US,” said the ACLU’s Stanley. “Because if they decide that it’s usable domestically, there’s going to be enormous pressure to deploy it.”

The Southcom surveillance tests are probably just the tip of the iceberg. Scott Wickersham, the vice-president of Raven Aerostar, told the Guardian that it has also been working with Sierra Nevada and the Pentagon’s research arm Darpa on a “highly sophisticated and challenging development around the stratosphere”. This refers to the agency’s Adaptable Lighter-Than-Air (Alta) program, an ongoing effort to perfect stratospheric balloon navigation which has included multiple launches across the country, Wickersham said.

Ryan Hartman said that World View had also completed a dozen surveillance test missions for a customer it would not name, capturing data he would not specify.

“Obviously, there are laws to protect people’s privacy and we are respectful of all those laws,” Hartman said. “We also understand the importance of operating in an ethical way as it relates to further protecting people’s privacy.”

Meanwhile, World View is currently preparing for its next surveillance flight, and Sierra Nevada’s tests in the midwest continue.

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 17:50 on Feb 3, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I remember google was trying to use balloon to provide internet in Africa. I wonder whatever happened to it.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

"rival balloon operator" is one hell of a combination of words

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

"Center for the Study of the Drone at Bard College" is my favorite new noun

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

parents kicked me out because I wanted to go to Bard College

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mister president we cannot allow a carnie gap

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

996 red balloons

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

stephenthinkpad posted:

I remember google was trying to use balloon to provide internet in Africa. I wonder whatever happened to it.

the fact that there is absolutely nobody who could or would pay for it

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Fitzy Fitz posted:

hanging out over a region longer than 15 minutes per orbit unless you spend the megabucks to put it in geosynchronous

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

hanging out over a region longer than 15 minutes per orbit unless you spend the megabucks to put it in geosynchronous

that's... not an aerostat

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010
Everything old is new

Balloon haters about to be in shambles
When they are fighting forest fires for the rest of time

Seatbelts has issued a correction as of 18:35 on Feb 3, 2023

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

God I hate it here

CHINESE BALLOON LIVE UPDATES

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The Chinese are just trying to bring entertainment back to America

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
🎈

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Whelp that settles it, America get gnomish flying machines (drones) and China gets goblin zepelins

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

actually russia gets wyverns, china gets undead frost wyrms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

Chinese foreign ministry should just come out with something like "the balloon seems to be causing you much distress so feel free to shoot it down so you can calm down." then sit back and watch as we neither shoot it down nor calm down.