Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

bobjr posted:

I’ve seen a fair amount of “no one wants to be a server/waitress anymore!” and I can immediately tell they’ve never worked as one.

A buddy of mine works for Applebee's and drank the kool-aid there, he tried to explain to his servers that they work on commission because "your tip is a percentage of the bill so sell more and make more"

And it's some amazing mental gymnastics to get there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

An even clearer example: Ronald Regan would have been eaten alive by the GOP in todays political world

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Utter, slobbering derangement (not from Coelasquid, obv).

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

sick of all this wokeness in Gargoyles by Pierre Menard

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Dr Christmas posted:

A fun observation I’ve had about anti-diversity nerd outrage is is that any representational media from before they first decided to be CHUDs is protected. That’s why they hate Rey and female Ghosbtusters but not Ellen Ripley and Samus Aran or any number of style nods to diversity in all their favorite media from the 80s and 90s. And we see it again how they were okay with pansexual Sims for years until this new update.

The newest episode of The Last of Us featured some gay men who were in the game. The game came out in 2013, which I believe was before Gamergate, so they weren’t mad at them then. But now that the show is out, a lot of idiots are mad about gay characters “suddenly” being there.

When I I've pointed this out, I get told that characters like Ripley were actually written well in their opinion and they are fine with minority characters so long as it doesn't seem like the writers are phoning it in. It's important to note that they are going to compare the "best" example with the "worst" strawman. This is also why they fixate on mediocre media; the Ghostbusters remake was mediocre, Rings of Power was mediocre, Last Jedi etc were mediocre. I dont think they were bad because they had female protagonists but it does help conflate things because to disagree is to suggest this bad product is in fact good.

A very big tell is if there's anything the character does that a chud feels is an attack on their ideology. So if a female protagonist is a really preachy feminist stereotype, chuds will hate it and think it is woke pandering. The ending of Metroid for NES didn't have Samus take off her helmet and announce, "take that, patriarchy!" so they find that type of character acceptable. Conversely, Ellen Ripley and Sarah Connor are working mothers showing maternal protective instincts, so it's acceptable for them to be badasses.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sort of an inside-out Bechdel Test

Did a woke character appear in the story for any purpose other than to be woke???

e: I wonder how they feel about Eowyn going "I am no man", and if they hate it, how they feel about it having been written in 1954

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 14:29 on Feb 3, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kinda doesn't help they're technically not wrong in that there's active efforts to have more diverse protagonists and casts with having roles that used to all go to straight white men getting changed- even while justified and overdue, it's actively and openly happening. A lot of the older examples basically flew under the radar of contemporary trends and probably systemic prejudice. And when that happens with a mediocre to bad sequel or reboot of a high-profile property, you get these perfect shitstorms of discourse. (And of course, just because something has a diverse cast, doesn't mean it's necessarily actually progressive)

Of course, Coelasquid is exactly on the money that the complaints are seriously just that it's not literally what they're nostalgic for, because of the context they've invented for themselves of the dastardly woke cabal trying to taint their precious media with diversity. Of course the narrative doesn't have to be coherent or consistent, not like reactionaries have ever needed that. They can't be pleased if they don't want to be.

The real trick is to just make something good on its own merits. No matter how many angles of attack they have, if something's universally liked to the point where they're laughed out of the room rather than engaged with they'll retreat and either quietly ignore it or try to co-opt it instead.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

It’s simple as a desire to return to childhood. Life was simpler and your enjoyment was uncomplicated by knowledge of the world. Too bad nerds, you can never go home again.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Panfilo posted:

A very big tell is if there's anything the character does that a chud feels is an attack on their ideology. So if a female protagonist is a really preachy feminist stereotype, chuds will hate it and think it is woke pandering. The ending of Metroid for NES didn't have Samus take off her helmet and announce, "take that, patriarchy!" so they find that type of character acceptable. Conversely, Ellen Ripley and Sarah Connor are working mothers showing maternal protective instincts, so it's acceptable for them to be badasses.

Ripley is particularly relevant because the original script was written with all male characters in mind and they just made Ripley and Lambert women without changing a single line of dialogue. So they will reluctantly accept women's whose gender is reduced to mere cosmetics and even that has its limits (female characters written in a masculine fashion will more likely than not be labelled as "b*****s" while man with the same behavior is a "badass")

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Data Graham posted:

e: I wonder how they feel about Eowyn going "I am no man", and if they hate it, how they feel about it having been written in 1954

But she didn't say that in the book.

she said "no living man am I" and your point still stands

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean that’s not new, people complained the X-men getting to political.

The X-men which literally introduced an apartheid metaphor in the 80s.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
What's especially funny is a lot of these chuds are weeaboos who act like anime/manga is somehow superior because it doesn't get bogged down with all this "woke pandering". They'll argue this is the reason manga is so much more successful now than western comics. Then they get mad when subtitles use progressive language and get convinced it's stupid gaijin SJWs shoehorning their ideology into the story.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

It kind of happens in reverse too.

Take any sort of offensive media that hardly anyone bats an eye at today, if you were to transport it like 20 or 30 years into the past idiots would point to it and yell "You couldn't make that today!".

So you end up with an absolutely amazing situation were people will insist you couldn't make Rocko's Modern Life today because it had a couple of winking jokes about a love motel, while at the same time thousands of people are posting a clip from Family Guy where a hypnotized Peter performs oral sex on his mother-in-law.

And that's not even getting into the fact that many of the things they liked as kids were actually controversial at the time and in fact had groups of people constantly trying to "cancel" them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Panfilo posted:

When I I've pointed this out, I get told that characters like Ripley were actually written well in their opinion and they are fine with minority characters so long as it doesn't seem like the writers are phoning it in.

They'll never be able to argue why one of these characters is actually 'well-written' in a way that doesn't get circular as hell as they try to find an argument that isn't why they actually feel that way. While not quite the same, there's a female character in Final Fantasy XIV who's constantly hated for a myriad of things, from hiding her identity, to being overly aggressive, to taking credit for the player's work... but when you point out that male characters are guilty of every single one of the things she's accused of, the only reasponse is 'yeah but they're good characters'. Almost like the actual points being made were completely and utterly irrelevant and they just wanted to tear down the female character.

(She didn't even do most of the things they accuse her of, either; in fact she does the literal opposite in several cases.)

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Data Graham posted:

Sort of an inside-out Bechdel Test

Did a woke character appear in the story for any purpose other than to be woke???
The Blechdel Test.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean that’s not new, people complained the X-men getting to political.

The X-men which literally introduced an apartheid metaphor in the 80s.

It's not even metaphor. The conversation referenced there specifically talks about Gargoyles, which I'm sure the idiot on the other side conveniently forgot had its own very special episode about guns with one of the titular gargoyles playing with one of the human protagonist's guns and accidentally shooting and almost killing her.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

BaronVonVaderham posted:

It's not even metaphor. The conversation referenced there specifically talks about Gargoyles, which I'm sure the idiot on the other side conveniently forgot had its own very special episode about guns with one of the titular gargoyles playing with one of the human protagonist's guns and accidentally shooting and almost killing her.

That particular episode was especially notable since most Very Special Episodes tend to be completely swept under the rug once they are done. Here not only did Eliza wear crutches for several episodes afterwards but Broadway also developed a burning hatred of guns that lasted for the entire rest of the series. So that guy doesn't even have the excuse of having missed that one episode.

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 17:54 on Feb 3, 2023

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Lol, loving Very Special Episodes. Yeah anytime someone says TV shows are only now getting too preachy I feel like telling them to be thankful they weren’t around in the 80s and 90s.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Panfilo posted:

What's especially funny is a lot of these chuds are weeaboos who act like anime/manga is somehow superior because it doesn't get bogged down with all this "woke pandering". They'll argue this is the reason manga is so much more successful now than western comics. Then they get mad when subtitles use progressive language and get convinced it's stupid gaijin SJWs shoehorning their ideology into the story.

A lot of right-wingers, both in Japan and abroad, have been making strong, concerted attempts to make it seem that there's no feminism or LGBT+ stuff in Japan. Its one of the reasons why Boy's Love/Girl's Love stuff is often portrayed as masturbatory dreck for otaku/fujoshi, IIRC.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
With that particular episode I think Disney didn't re-air it very much compared to other Gargoyle episodes and the creators of the show had to advocate pretty hard to let them show a real non laser blasting gun as was the practice at the time.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Madkal posted:

With that particular episode I think Disney didn't re-air it very much compared to other Gargoyle episodes and the creators of the show had to advocate pretty hard to let them show a real non laser blasting gun as was the practice at the time.
And on that topic there's an entire episode about why every crook in town suddenly has a laser plasma gun

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
You notice they definitely don't think about these things the other way around. Recently I was thinking about Captain Planet and how at the time, my edgy teen mindset thought the villains were such over the top strawmen. Twenty years later and I get to thinking they're unrealistically benign. We have tons of real world villains that would translate to captain planet antagonists very effectively:

-An eccentric electric car magnate who is branching out to putting microchips in test animals; a big twist being the autopilot in their cars being controlled by nerve stapled monkeys operating the vehicles remotely.

-A Mutant cockroach person who is surreptitiously distributing anti vaccine propiganda to prevent the vaccine from stopping a virus that kills non-cockroach people.

-Corrupt politician passing laws letting motorists run over protestors who are trying to prevent an oil pipeline from running through a reservation.

-Disgraced ex president running a D lister Legion of Doom cabal to sabotage efforts of passing comprehensive climate change legislation.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Panfilo posted:

You notice they definitely don't think about these things the other way around. Recently I was thinking about Captain Planet and how at the time, my edgy teen mindset thought the villains were such over the top strawmen. Twenty years later and I get to thinking they're unrealistically benign. We have tons of real world villains that would translate to captain planet antagonists very effectively:

-An eccentric electric car magnate who is branching out to putting microchips in test animals; a big twist being the autopilot in their cars being controlled by nerve stapled monkeys operating the vehicles remotely.

-A Mutant cockroach person who is surreptitiously distributing anti vaccine propiganda to prevent the vaccine from stopping a virus that kills non-cockroach people.

-Corrupt politician passing laws letting motorists run over protestors who are trying to prevent an oil pipeline from running through a reservation.

-Disgraced ex president running a D lister Legion of Doom cabal to sabotage efforts of passing comprehensive climate change legislation.

I remember one episode being about the Villian selling gas-guzzling cars... lmao loving amateur hour, let me know when you drop 4 million barrels into the gulf.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Kit Walker posted:

The thing I hate the most about being terminally online is that you can see something coming from a mile away and it doesn't matter, no one really cares or will be convinced, and you just have to watch the farce play out while no one learns anything

This is what I imagine God experiences

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Splicer posted:

And on that topic there's an entire episode about why every crook in town suddenly has a laser plasma gun

Man, Batman had real guns in it and that's why it was the best.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Cleretic posted:

They'll never be able to argue why one of these characters is actually 'well-written' in a way that doesn't get circular as hell as they try to find an argument that isn't why they actually feel that way. While not quite the same, there's a female character in Final Fantasy XIV who's constantly hated for a myriad of things, from hiding her identity, to being overly aggressive, to taking credit for the player's work... but when you point out that male characters are guilty of every single one of the things she's accused of, the only reasponse is 'yeah but they're good characters'. Almost like the actual points being made were completely and utterly irrelevant and they just wanted to tear down the female character.

(She didn't even do most of the things they accuse her of, either; in fact she does the literal opposite in several cases.)

Who are you talking about, Yda? I don't like her because she doesn't have much personality. Her personality is basically "wouldn't it be nice if everything was nice and everyone was nice? Maybe" And because she doesn't wear pants. And because the reveal that she was actually pretending to be her sister falls completely flat because it's just a person we know practically nothing about pretending to be a different person we know practically nothing about. And even after she switches back to her "real" outfit, SHE STILL DOESN'T WEAR PANTS! Which male characters are you comparing her to? Estinian? Yeah, I guess he becomes kind of flat after Heavensward ends.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Burning_Monk posted:

I remember one episode being about the Villian selling gas-guzzling cars... lmao loving amateur hour, let me know when you drop 4 million barrels into the gulf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5E8TNSszts

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/1621333481270743043

John Waters is done for now.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Lmao John Waters owns

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/hausofdecline/status/1621599923400593409?t=raGl2cj8pVM_HMy2pwlwaA&s=19

Lmao at trying to cancel John waters

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Fox News just made him sound cooler than he is. And he's hardly uncool to begin with.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Wait'll they hear about the Little Mermaid's Ursula and who she looks like.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Midnight Voyager posted:

Wait'll they hear about the Little Mermaid's Ursula and who she looks like.

:lol: I somehow knew this despite never knowing this.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

TheMostFrench posted:

I didn't expect this to just keep going on and on.

This is the kind of thread that needs ads mixed in so that OP can monetize

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Not IOSM, but this shows how cool John Waters is.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Cleretic posted:

Is that Lyse? Legit don't get the hate for her, I thought she was cool as heck.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

How do you cancel the uncancelable?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Not IOSM, but this shows how cool John Waters is.

She does.

It’s her programming socks.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I want all the scumbags that are surprised about the the author of Hairspray hating fascists to reenact the ending of Pink Flamingos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Trying to cancel the director who has mainly relied on controversy to market his movies since the 60s is an interesting strategy Cotton, let's see if it works!