Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

don Jaime posted:

Finding Buddy is the real challenge. I don’t think I’ve actually seen one.

Oh, poo poo. Right up until now I always thought that Buddy was a character they made up for an Animaniacs episode to parody old timey and lame cartoon characters, but in immediate retrospect it makes 100% that he's just another one of all the many, many deep references they made on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
My earliest experience with the web was the CRGA, the Cultural Reference Guide to Animaniacs. It was all the fans explaining the obscure jokes to each and may still be available somewhere. That was the forerunner to the Please Please Please Get a Life Foundation skit.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Larryb posted:

On that note, how were the Bosco and Honey shorts? Tiny Toons is literally the only reason I know they exist

There's two things to understand about the Bosko era of Looney Tunes; Bosko & Honey originate out of Blackface stereotypes(mostly in their designs but it occasionally leaks into their dialogue) and secondly that a lot of Bosko's shorts are really dull by 2023 standards(or even by the Early 90's when those shorts last saw significant air time as part of a Looney Tunes syndication package on Nickelodeon), there's some standout shorts in his run but it's a fraction of the total amount of shorts he starred in before Harman & Ising left and took Bosko, overall Bosko's run is well made on a technical level but too light on humor to be worth revisiting(aside from a couple shorts) unless you're like me and are crazy enough to try and do a full chronological watching of the theatrical Looney Tunes & Merrie Melodies shorts

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Oh, poo poo. Right up until now I always thought that Buddy was a character they made up for an Animaniacs episode to parody old timey and lame cartoon characters, but in immediate retrospect it makes 100% that he's just another one of all the many, many deep references they made on the show.

Haven't gotten to Buddy yet but from everything I've heard his run is going to be dreadful

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I remember the bosco episode that took place in a theatre and they sing that song "where into money" I can see how it was amazing in the 1930's.

I also remember the old back and white cartoons. Like the war era where they sing "you in the army now your not behind the plow......your diging a ditch"

I also remember the farm one where a little piggies are watching a clock and at the end they loving ram into their mother to suckle....

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It can be hard to imagine what it was like to watch these shorts in theaters when they were new and the general concept of a cartoon was such a fairly rare novelty, but I just look at what contemporaries Bosko was competing with, there was Fleischer doing a deal with hit singer Cab Calloway for him to do the music to some of their cartoons and have his dance rotoscoped into some cartoons, and also making the first Popeye cartoon, and Disney put out one of the most successful shorts of the time. Bosko seems like he would've been mediocre at best.

I guess Ub Iwerks seems more on par with Bosko at the time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW0mh_HJb20

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So out of curiosity then, why did Tiny Toons do an entire episode tributing that of all things?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Larryb posted:

So out of curiosity then, why did Tiny Toons do an entire episode tributing that of all things?

As middling as his shorts often were, Bosko was still the first Looney Tunes star and Honey its first female recurring character, so there is a little prestige to them, I imagine the staff also realized that Babs and Buster's dynamic was basically a reinvention of Bosko and Honey's however accidentally that was

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah, as uninteresting as Bosko shorts are as pieces of media, they are pretty remarkable as a piece of animation history.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Larryb posted:

If I recall the contents of the episode correctly, Babs was lamenting how there don't seem to be any women for her to look up to among the mentors at the school. Babs, as your typical 80s/90s female cartoon character, is also your token feminist when the plot needs her to be so it became an issue for her and so she searches for a mentor.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I Am Fowl posted:

If I recall the contents of the episode correctly, Babs was lamenting how there don't seem to be any women for her to look up to among the mentors at the school. Babs, as your typical 80s/90s female cartoon character, is also your token feminist when the plot needs her to be so it became an issue for her and so she searches for a mentor.

Yeah I remember that now. So Bosko predates Bugs Bunny then (or whichever member of the standard Looney Tunes crew came first), interesting

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 21, 2023

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Larryb posted:

Yeah I remember that now. So Bosko predates Bugs Bunny then (or whichever member of the standard Looney Tunes crew came first), interesting

Bugs didn't show up till 1940, Bosko was the very first Looney Tunes character when the series started in 1930, Porky is the oldest of the main cast members having debuted in 1935, with Daffy following along in 1937, then as mentioned Bugs as well as Elmer in 1940, Tweety in 1942 and most of the other major Looney Tunes characters were created between 1945 and 1954

Pakled posted:

Yeah, as uninteresting as Bosko shorts are as pieces of media, they are pretty remarkable as a piece of animation history.

Well there's at least a couple Bosko shorts I'd call good, Bosko The Doughboy for example is a very strong contender for most violent Looney Tunes short thanks to being made prior to the Hays Code

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

drrockso20 posted:

Well there's at least a couple Bosko shorts I'd call good, Bosko The Doughboy for example is a very strong contender for most violent Looney Tunes short thanks to being made prior to the Hays Code

you werent kidding. It also feeling like something newgrounds would make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQcago5r-Qk

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Just another reminder for anyone who hasn't seen it, 'The Merrie History of Looney Tunes' is a fantastic youtube series on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z57_2T_WIuA

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
One of those meta jokes paying tribute to the early days of animation, see also Epic Mickey's whole deal with Oswald. That was pretty common in 90s cartoons, see also how the Animaniacs are meant to be 'lost' characters from that era, hence their inkblot-style designs contrasted with more elaborate modern ones, and Slappy Squirrel's whole thing.

Also remember Who Framed Roger Rabbit was a whole thing too. Comes to mind that Bonkers is basically as close to a series spinoff as that movie could get.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Big Nate is a show I very badly want to be better than it is. I'm watching an episode where Nate spys on people to make a series of romance novels and so many details are bugging the poo poo out of me.

Stuff like:
-Holy poo poo are Nate's dad/teachers just not going to acknowledge that this 11 year old kid just wrote a successful series of published books?
-Does this show actually think book publishing is a lucrative industry? Lol. Lmao.
-Did the publisher just never get a signature or contract for these books? How did the author being a child never get found out?
-The show treats Nate taking people's personal stories as the basis for his books as bad but nobody ever connects the books with the people who's stories were stolen from so what harm was actually done? Ne's not even being mean about it as far as I can tell. His sister's book at least seems to have her getting a happy ending.
-Speaking of which, there's a seed of a plot thread where Nate helps his sister cope with a breakup that's really sweet but just never followed up on. In addition to a nice subtle moment where he buys his sister books as a gift to try and make her feel better she later connects with one of his books and becomes a fan of Nate's fake writer persona. I figured she was eventually going to see that she'd connected to the story he wrote and they'd bond over it after Nate apologizes but NOPE. She freaks out at Nate's *dad* (who was impersonating the author to cover for Nate) and then disappears along with her entire subplot cuz "teenage girls amirite!?".
-Nate's character arc is resolved by him donating his book proceeds to the school but why is this a good thing? Nate's school is a shithole full of teachers more concerned with covering their asses than the student's safety. They put a tiger into the sinkhole in the playground and this is considered a moral victory. This ties into a larger gripe I have with the show where everybody is an rear end in a top hat because the writers think mean=funny in a very 90's sitcom sort of way.

It's very frustrating because I like other aspects of the show like the animation (mostly) and the VA's performances. With better writers I think it could have been legitimately pretty good.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

tangentially related, but since we're on the subject, i found what the developers of cuphead did to be utterly impressive. i was never a fan of the betty boop/bosco/steamboat mickey/etc. style of animation (with the exception of the max fleischer popeye cartoons), but the way the cuphead developers were able to perfectly replicate that style in a video game was quite the feat. i remember back in the day where we had lots of people describe cel shaded games like wind waker, okami, dragonquest 8, the amazing(?) spiderman and the like as "interactive cartoons", but i couldn't really agree. most games that used cel shading had characters that clearly looked like they were superimposed onto their environments. they never actually felt organically apart of the world they inhabited. wind waker was probably the closest to having its characters blend seamlessly in their environments, but even it was still far from perfect.

but then along comes cuphead and we finally have a game that i would argue is legitimately deserving of the "interactive cartoon" descriptor. everything is so perfectly cohesive. i never understood exactly why it was so difficult to do such a thing. i mean, don't get me wrong. i'm sure it was labor intensive. but the fact that no other developer even attempted such a thing until those guys did (who, iirc, was made up of a very small number of people), is kind of surprising imo.

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jan 23, 2023

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It's difficult because traditional animation is back-breaking, meticulous work and everything in Cuphead is traditionally animated at a high framerate with a painstaking consistency of style. The game took seven years to develop.

3D modelling is far less labour intensive (at least, it used to be, although now with hyper-realism being the order of the day that's changing perhaps) because you can make a single asset and then pose and move it through various animations with only slight variation of the base model. You can put new equipment on it, make it carry something, etc, without making a whole new model. Traditional 2D animation you're effectively recreating the entire character not just for every pose, but for every frame of every pose. This is why cel shading was popular - it's all efficient 3D models underneath.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah it's not that complicated how Cuphead achieved a very "classic animation" effect. They just did about all the work that you'd need to go into classic animation (that would usually be like 10 minutes long) into making a 10 hour game, and it took them like 5 years, and even then you can see compromises like how the way that it works the bosses aren't very directly responsive to the player's actions. 2D sprites have been a technique forever in videogames, often it's easier to get away with lower framerates or a lot of tricks to make things quicker, pixel art can sometimes help with shortcuts.

There's a number of games that try to use traditional 2D styles like Hollow Knight, Indivisible, Spiritfarer, or even Paper Mario, but Cuphead really goes above and beyond with a lot of movement and higher framerates, and also scanned watercolor paintings for backgrounds, except for the genie fight, where they use video footage of a little miniature diorama like some Popeye cartoons.

https://i.imgur.com/yodIoNV.mp4 https://i.imgur.com/pZJ9jPP.mp4

Cel-shading is still around in places making some drat pretty games even though it doesn't quite look like the "real" thing. I think Transformers: Devastation is probably the most real-looking since it looks so much like what the 1986 Transformers was trying to be.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
With Louis C.K., TJ Miller, and now Justin Roiland, Gravity Falls reruns are starting to get a little fraught.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nameless Pete posted:

With Louis C.K., TJ Miller, and now Justin Roiland, Gravity Falls reruns are starting to get a little fraught.

Alex Hirsch may or may not be implicated in some of Roiland's bullshit as well, so basically all of Gravity Falls could possibly be problematic now, depending on how credible you think the evidence might be.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Alex Hirsch may or may not be implicated in some of Roiland's bullshit as well, so basically all of Gravity Falls could possibly be problematic now, depending on how credible you think the evidence might be.

I don't think I've heard about Roiland, what happened and what does it have to do with Alex?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

I don't think I've heard about Roiland, what happened and what does it have to do with Alex?

You somehow have not heard that Justin Roiland was fired from basically all his creative posts at Adult Swim, Hulu and Squanch Games because he beat the poo poo out of his girlfriend and multiple women have come forward with text message evidence claiming that he groomed sexually them when they were all teenagers? Because in some of those text logs, a person named "Alex" is mentioned several times as being in on the gig with Roiland, and Alex Hirsch and Justin Roiland were very close friends and I believe might have also been roommates at the time that this was all going down... ergo... :yikes:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'd still look for more than that, there's smoke there but Alex is a pretty common name

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

You somehow have not heard that Justin Roiland was fired from basically all his creative posts at Adult Swim, Hulu and Squanch Games because he beat the poo poo out of his girlfriend and multiple women have come forward with text message evidence claiming that he groomed sexually them when they were all teenagers? Because in some of those text logs, a person named "Alex" is mentioned several times as being in on the gig with Roiland, and Alex Hirsch and Justin Roiland were very close friends and I believe might have also been roommates at the time that this was all going down... ergo... :yikes:

I had not but as mentioned above that’s still not concrete proof that Hirsch was involved. All the same though…eesh

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

i'd still look for more than that, there's smoke there but Alex is a pretty common name

Like I said, I depends on how credible you think the evidence is or isn't.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The thing from about 2018 was Roiland trying to set underage girls up with Alex Hirsch. This has been a matter of record for a really long time but no-one cared, mostly. That said, it isn't clear if Hirsch knew about this. The vibe I got was Roiland trying to impress his new friend in the creepiest and most predatory way possible, rather than something Hirsch asked for.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Android Blues posted:

The thing from about 2018 was Roiland trying to set underage girls up with Alex Hirsch. This has been a matter of record for a really long time but no-one cared, mostly. That said, it isn't clear if Hirsch knew about this. The vibe I got was Roiland trying to impress his new friend in the creepiest and most predatory way possible, rather than something Hirsch asked for.

Yeah, okay. OTOH if a "friend" of mine did something like that "for" me, not only are we no longer friends at that point, we're no longer friends in an "I call the cops on his creepy, vile rear end" way.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, I have no clue. It definitely seemed like something Roiland was doing on his own initiative, but I have no idea what Hirsch's side of that situation was. I'd be surprised if he didn't at least know it had happened, but who knows if he stayed friends with Roiland afterwards.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Hirsch was also doing stuff like pissing on sinks and not showering so maybe he has problems with interpersonal stuff. Until more comes out all we can do is guess.

So kind of an abrupt switch dut did Filmation ever release the reference films for the rotoscoping of HeMan? Would be neat to see.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mr. Sprinkles really keeping that John K legacy alive.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Velma Pitch Meeting

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Nearly 5 minutes. Like it's not even like this guy can't be funny but FIVE MINUTES. God I miss Vine

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I admit I laughed at

"Who's this show for?"
"Mmmmeeeeeeeee."

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Did Velma ever improve or is it still just as bad as it started?

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Larryb posted:

Did Velma ever improve or is it still just as bad as it started?

It is … not good. It’s like no one told Mindy Kalling that “Mystery Incorporated” already existed, so we already have “Scooby Doo, but for adult audiences, with a modern sensibility and ironic self-awareness.”

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, is there any other Scooby show/movie/special as or at least close to as good as Mystery Inc was?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Das Boo posted:

I admit I laughed at

"Who's this show for?"
"Mmmmeeeeeeeee."

I liked "You can't be meta and wholesome. You have to be meta and cynical!"

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Every single review I've watched all has the phrase "Who is this for?".
Every. Single. One.

The other thing that shows up is that Mindy Kaling has some really hosed up issues around her own race, with some referring to her as a 'pick me'.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
To be fair, it's not too much unlike the issues folks like Burton had about the suburbs and poo poo.

Kaling just internalized a lot from being in an environment with not a lot of people she could culturally realte to/having to fit in/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kaling isn't even the showrunner

I can't tell if that makes it more or less weird