Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

exquisite tea posted:

Eternal Darkness :negative:

Oh dang, yeah! Eternal Darkness' sanity effects on VR could be extremely neat.

Len posted:

Give me a dino crisis game in the re2make engine. DC2 was probably one of my favorite PS1 games

I remember skipping on Dino Crisis because it looked like dinosaur Resident Evil and my position at the time was that dinosaurs are cool animals, not scary monsters, so the series can't possibly be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

To be fair the first Dino Crisis IS dinosaur Resident Evil and it ruled. And just like Resident Evil I find myself playing through it a whole bunch every once in a while.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

SettingSun posted:

To be fair the first Dino Crisis IS dinosaur Resident Evil and it ruled. And just like Resident Evil I find myself playing through it a whole bunch every once in a while.

Yeah DC1 is that exact thing.

DC2 though is a firm action game where you mow down dinosaurs by the hundreds getting points that you spend for better gear to mow down more dinosaurs

DC3 I remember hating but I haven't played it since the one time and maybe it's not that bad now

And I never played Dino Stalker the light gun sequel to 2

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Something in Dead Space I hadn't really thought about until a comparison video popped up was how different the popup video calls look in the remake, they've lost that crappy monocoloring and graininess:

I actually kinda miss the old style now that I notice it. For some reason I like that trope of being an infinitely more advanced interplanetary civilization but some types of communication are still just kinda lovely, probably thanks to Star Wars holograms.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Welp, I can confirm that DSR is causing my cpu to overheat, which is baffling since literally no other game that's come out or is as graphically intense has this issue.

Also my decision to get a different cooling unit instead of replacing with the same when I had to get mine replaced is biting me in the rear end now I guess. Bleh.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Something in Dead Space I hadn't really thought about until a comparison video popped up was how different the popup video calls look in the remake, they've lost that crappy monocoloring and graininess:

I actually kinda miss the old style now that I notice it. For some reason I like that trope of being an infinitely more advanced interplanetary civilization but some types of communication are still just kinda lovely, probably thanks to Star Wars holograms.

Oh man I dunno, look at the difference in color. It's really cool being able to see a side by side difference that isn't curated, old DS looks so brown and muted. So insanely interesting to see all the detail they added in.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I appreciate the work they put into it, it just turns out to be something I like when it looks a little worse. You could probably just slap some scanlines over the new videos and I'd be right on board.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i do kinda miss the old default suit being so incredibly clunky and block-cut, since it really felt like the kind of thing you'd get if you were being sent out as a disposable resource by an evil space mining conglomerate, but the intricate look of DSR's fits with ishimura's more organic design flourishes

also probably for the best that they nixed the foldout hats for a regular helmet because those things made no goddamn sense, even for scifi

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Evil Kit posted:

Welp, I can confirm that DSR is causing my cpu to overheat, which is baffling since literally no other game that's come out or is as graphically intense has this issue.

I should probably load up my core temp reader and check that. The game mostly runs fine but occasionally the engine completely shits itself and drops to like 3 FPS for a solid 30 seconds or so. Thought it was day-1 issues which would be patched quickly but maybe it's a hardware limitation and the CPU is throttling down. Using a TR1950x which was always meant for rendering instead of gaming but it's generally managed everything I've thrown at it up until now, maybe there's something about DSR specifically which is causing certain CPUs to freak out.

It's been a bit frustrating playing through it with the performance issues since it's drat near perfect besides that.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Evil Kit posted:

This is almost certainly old hat for you, but make sure the framerate isn't set to unlimited.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Apparently not. The PS5 version has really good DualSense effects

Hmmm, you'd think DS would be one of the games whose Steam port also included the 5's DS...er, DualSense trigger and vibration effects? Maybe they'll patch it in.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Evil Kit posted:

Also my decision to get a different cooling unit instead of replacing with the same when I had to get mine replaced is biting me in the rear end now I guess. Bleh.

What's your CPU and cooler?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Rinkles posted:

What's your CPU and cooler?

I'll have to let you know when I get home. I may also pick up some compressed air to give the fan a cleaning just in case though.

To clarify, the Corsair I upgraded too only had 2 fans instead of the 3 the cooling unit that came with my PC had so it may be entirely on me for this issue.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Medullah posted:

It goes on sale all the time, it'll be $15 sometime in the next 60 days

Well you weren't wrong: it's -75% right now, so 9,98€/$.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1621126242979422209?t=5PwAuu8TVEtFjD6cQewxOw&s=19

I see the legally distinct stick men (or just old fasioned charms) hanging from the trees and a...bonesaw?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol if AWake 2 ends up being the open world survival horror they tried and failed at making the first game originally.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Lol if AWake 2 ends up being the open world survival horror they tried and failed at making the first game originally.

Lol, I always forget about that until I replay the first one and am re-surprised by the existence of vehicle segments. That's how I initially learned about the change in development, the vehicles seemed so useless and limited in scope that it was weird to include them, I felt like they must have been the trimmed-down remnants of something bigger and I was right.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, for anyone who hasn't seen it, the original concept for Alan Wake was pretty wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrGOtrrfMuk

It basically looked like a more systemically driven version of Deadly Premonition.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I hope they've looked at other games and figured out how to make their enemies more distinct. Too many of their games have enemy designs that are mostly just variants of Human and Also Human But Bigger.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

American Wasteland was my first Steam Deck game and it was thouroughly mediocre. The definition of stretching a couple assets too thin.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

al-azad posted:

American Wasteland was my first Steam Deck game and it was thouroughly mediocre. The definition of stretching a couple assets too thin.

It had some decent ideas story wise but I'm not sure who looked at Alan Wake and went "oh yeah, the kids love the combat!"

Like the combat heavy sections were standouts in AW1 *because* they were buffeted by regular slower horror sections.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

CuddleCryptid posted:

It had some decent ideas story wise but I'm not sure who looked at Alan Wake and went "oh yeah, the kids love the combat!"

Like the combat heavy sections were standouts in AW1 *because* they were buffeted by regular slower horror sections.

Yeah I can get behind this, I recently played through the remaster and outside of the set pieces combat is firmly bland

But man the set pieces slap :rock:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

al-azad posted:

That they didn't include it in the recent remaster was telling.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I am pretty curious what combat will be like in the sequel. I like the first game a lot but it's really the story and environment carrying a lot of it, it's my least favorite Remedy game on the gameplay end. Not terrible but yeah, the basic combat concept just wears thin pretty quickly and it's the big setpieces that stand out. I think both Quantum Break and Control did a good job in making the gameplay feel tighter and more interesting though, I'm confident they've learned a lot that they can put to good use since Alan Wake came out.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I was real disappointed that the remaster didn't have the built in cheats of Control. I would have slammed them on immediately

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Maybe a fringe belief but I didn't think that the combat in AW was that bad in the original game. It was very basic, but that's was kind of the point. You were constantly getting ambused and encircled, so the fact that you had to burn enemies a bit with the flashlight made things like the flares and flash grenades interesting. And once you made them vulnerable almost every enemy went down in just a couple shots.

It wasn't about the shooting, it was about the vulnerability states. When you were focusing your flashlight or reloading you were vulnerable, and you were given tools to make space as a result. In the end it gave the impression of being a person alone in the woods with a flashlight and six shots in your revolver better than if you had RE4 style pew pew dynamic combat. And it served its purpose, it was something to keep you on your toes between setpieces.

There is room for improvement but if they had done Control-style heathbar looter shooter horseshit it wouldn't be as good because it's an atmospheric horror game and those kinds of things just don't fit.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mindblast posted:

I hope they've looked at other games and figured out how to make their enemies more distinct. Too many of their games have enemy designs that are mostly just variants of Human and Also Human But Bigger.

Hard agree on this.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

CuddleCryptid posted:

Maybe a fringe belief but I didn't think that the combat in AW was that bad in the original game. It was very basic, but that's was kind of the point. You were constantly getting ambused and encircled, so the fact that you had to burn enemies a bit with the flashlight made things like the flares and flash grenades interesting. And once you made them vulnerable almost every enemy went down in just a couple shots.

It wasn't about the shooting, it was about the vulnerability states. When you were focusing your flashlight or reloading you were vulnerable, and you were given tools to make space as a result. In the end it gave the impression of being a person alone in the woods with a flashlight and six shots in your revolver better than if you had RE4 style pew pew dynamic combat. And it served its purpose, it was something to keep you on your toes between setpieces.

There is room for improvement but if they had done Control-style heathbar looter shooter horseshit it wouldn't be as good because it's an atmospheric horror game and those kinds of things just don't fit.

True. I played the OG AW 2 years ago and it still worked well, because of the feeling of horror.
Making it a competent shooter would have ruined the feeling.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Well, I didn't mean to imply I want it to be a full on shooter, and I don't think they'd do that. More that I like the idea of the existing combat, but just didn't find it very engaging after a while outside of the big fights. I'm not a designer so I have no idea what I'd change about it, just hoping they do something to make it grab me more.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
More enemies would have helped imo, they tease animals possessed by the darkness a fair bit and the birds are of course but you never fight any others. There's a section where the big animal skeleton seems like it's gonna be possessed and smashes through a wall of a museum but then it just disappears and nothing is made of it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm vibrating a hole through my office chair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBoRm0QFUk0

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I never got too deep into Alan Wake, in part because I found the combat to be real bad, but I do want to try it again at some point. I did dig basically everything else. I remember basic enemies not being too bad, but anything that wasn't a basic enemy was just awful to fight. I have particular memories of absolutely hating the big floating objects.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

al-azad posted:

I'm vibrating a hole through my office chair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBoRm0QFUk0

Ok this game is now in my "must play immediately" folder.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

So there are "side quests" and the knife is now its own item with upgrade path and durability. I think I even saw a throwing knife??

e: Ashley appears to be wearing plaid shorts instead of a skirt, cancelled on Twitter stop censoring based Japanese designers

al-azad fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 3, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

al-azad posted:

e: Ashley appears to be wearing plaid shorts instead of a skirt, cancelled on Twitter stop censoring based Japanese designers

:(
RIP some of the funnier game goofs, then

https://i.imgur.com/KE9mc7C.mp4

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Does the colour-coded map return? That was the petty reason I got into the series.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This looks like a very "straight" horror game with far less of the parody elements of originalRE4. That has been my consistent impression with everything I've seen.

The funniest thing about the video is Capcom commenting on the Lore of the Dog.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Captain Hygiene posted:

Well, I didn't mean to imply I want it to be a full on shooter, and I don't think they'd do that. More that I like the idea of the existing combat, but just didn't find it very engaging after a while outside of the big fights. I'm not a designer so I have no idea what I'd change about it, just hoping they do something to make it grab me more.

I'm not saying you're wrong. We just think and feel different.

For me horror games are best when I'm feeling (mildly) afraid or anxious about what happens next.
I'm never afraid when I'm on action game mode.
I do like action games, they just never feel like horror games, because the feelin isn't there for me.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

thebardyspoon posted:

More enemies would have helped imo, they tease animals possessed by the darkness a fair bit and the birds are of course but you never fight any others. There's a section where the big animal skeleton seems like it's gonna be possessed and smashes through a wall of a museum but then it just disappears and nothing is made of it.

Imo it's actually the opposite, more powerful but less common enemies would be better. Things like the birds and the possessed pipes that throw themselves at you are fine but kind of get in the way of what I feel is the strongest part of the game so far combat goes, and it's the feeling of being hunted. When you're going through the forest there isn't just dudes milling around, they ambush you out of nowhere and it gives the strong impression that you can't see them, but they're *always* watching you.

I don't think Remedy really has the pedigree to do this but I would like it if they leant more into the idea that Alan is the prey in his own novel. Perhaps making it so the Darkness isn't dialed in on him 100% so he can Stealth Mission his way around powerful enemies more. More of a focus on the fixed light sources would be cool too, like the generators or searchlights. Basically make direct combat more dangerous and put a focus on getting the gently caress out of dodge rather than popping everyone in the face.

My super stupid idea would be to lean into the "victim of his own story" angle (which I honestly love) and have a system where Alan can write plot contrivances in but it comes at some sort of cost, like you can go across a river to get around a raised bridge that involves fighting your way across the currents while the darkness attacks or you can go "woooowwww what do you know the keys to lower the bridge are right here" and if you take that option something later gets way harder because it let more Darkness in, like a lesser version of what Thomas Zane did.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 3, 2023

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's kind of crazy that in 2023 the survival horror genre is in a better spot than than it's been in since probably the early 00s. It's probably one of my two favorite genres and I've become so used to taking whatever table scraps get thrown my way, but all of a sudden the game industry just decided it was worth spending money on again and it rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

This looks like a very "straight" horror game with far less of the parody elements of originalRE4. That has been my consistent impression with everything I've seen.

The funniest thing about the video is Capcom commenting on the Lore of the Dog.

It is very much RE2make with proper inventory tetris set in the world of RE4. This Leon fucks.

Really curious how they'll handle Salazar although having watched Freaks there is nothing scarier than an angry little person.