Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Your average pug that doesn't get hardstuck at a boss but still wipes 1-3 times to the trickier normal modes can blow through wings 1-4 in under 2 hours, the time investment is just finding those groups and having all the roles covered, including niche boss fight roles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Tambaloneus posted:

They'll spit an endless stream of shortcut names for places you're supposed to be and I'm usually like "where? where the gently caress is that? do I follow this crowd??" so I just play heal scourge and try to keep ppl alive instead.

That part is always weird, since the same people who will smash anyone who clearly doesn't know what they're doing will be the first to bitch and leave, but this is the internet and I'm used to it. I'll never memorize all the metas and the same goes for raids or rarely-done strikes. Having encyclopedic knowledge of all multiplayer content, as expected by The Internet, just ain't happening when there's nothing to reinforce that due to running that content maybe once every six months for one attempt only.

Flytitle posted:

Your big issue will be groups, if you can fit the above criteria (folks are pickier then I am, but the big killer is your timezone. Still, I know aussies who have stuck it out.)

From random things I've read the hype for WvW is/was big in AU and you could probably still find some OCX buddies. If you want to do group PvE with any sort of consistency, and are on a typical daytime AU schedule, just give up now.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

MajorBonnet posted:

The weeklies for WvW:
  • 15 yaks
  • 5 keeps
  • 15 camps
  • 50 invaders
  • 5 ruins
  • 10 towers
  • 1 stonemist castle

Some of those I get in the course of regular play, at least. I think I've gotten an SMC capture twice? I play a lot more on the borderlands.

My matchup this week has been horrible, so I think I've seen exactly one keep capture, the rest of the time we've been overwhelmingly outnumbered by both servers.

Prepare for even more salt towards Mag.
As I expected, badly designed with little consideration towards growing the WvW population, just maintaining it. Might as well have given the point leading server a +1 bonus instead if those weeklies. This doesn't reward participation but organization. Not to speak of how hosed up it is to have 50 player kills as one of the objectives and spit in the face of supports some more.

Edit: just to clarify, I welcome these changes as they are mostly on top of everything WvW. I just question if a 6/7 requirement for the meta isn't too exclusive. As a dedicated casual (30-60 minutes daily for daily WvW achievements plus two squad nights a week) I have taken SMC once ever 30 ranks (based on "King of the Castle"). As I play Boonbrand, I can count on one hand the times I ended a night with 30 or more bags, and that was when we were steamrolling other zergs, not even matchups were no slots/CDs are free for tagging.

Luggage fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Feb 1, 2023

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I... think you are overblowing how hard raids actually are in your head, or how time consuming they are.

Raids really aren't that scary. I think WoW broke too many folks with how time consuming raids could be. I filled in for a static HoT progression on Monday and we cleared W1, W4, 66% W2 and 50% W3 in two hours.

If you have the legendary weapon collection done and you're just soaking up Legendary Infusions, that's 10 right there, with you only needing 25 total for a piece of gear. So you'll comfortably finish a piece of gear every 2.5 weeks, sooner if you raid more than two hours a week.

Edit, and the legendary collection its almost completely just 'do wings 1-4'.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
yeah the Saturday sfd raid group has gone very much zero to hero on that regard, from struggling to clear a wing in 2 hours to easily clearing 3 in a very short amount of time. with a little bit of investment raids are not scary at all

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Saraiguma posted:

yeah the Saturday sfd raid group has gone very much zero to hero on that regard, from struggling to clear a wing in 2 hours to easily clearing 3 in a very short amount of time. with a little bit of investment raids are not scary at all

What time saturday, thats going to be like my sunday, :/

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Also worth saying, raids are fun! Some of the bosses are really awesome, fun fights, and some of the environments are the best in GW2. The River of Souls, and dropping into the Mythwright Gambit are jaw dropping, and I'm sad more people don't get to experience them

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Yeah, I've said it before, but the biggest obstacle to group content in this game is that people are absolutely petrified of creating their own groups. There is this perception that you need to know everything about the game to lead a noob group, when in fact all you need to do is click a button and maybe type one or two things in chat if you really want to go above and beyond.

Meskhenet posted:

If you're looking to raid regularly, it'd be worth checking out the Skein Gang discord. Its purpose is to help people find static groups at times and experience levels that work for them. I'm sure there will be people there who are active when you are.

https://twitter.com/snebzor/status/1540091718145429505?lang=en-GB

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
That or the raid academy discord.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Meskhenet posted:

3pm est

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Tambaloneus posted:

I was just having a whinge about the times we couldn't even get half the pre done bc 50% of the map population weren't moving or doing anything at all. If it fails and everyone's doing at least something I'm not mad about that. Agree it's aimed at the mount though I did the meta a couple times without skyscale and gods that was kind of painful, do-able but the worst thing in chat is in any meta is where ppl assume you know all their dumb jargon too. They'll spit an endless stream of shortcut names for places you're supposed to be and I'm usually like "where? where the gently caress is that? do I follow this crowd??" so I just play heal scourge and try to keep ppl alive instead. There's a function in the new pokemon game where if you jump off a cliff you get a 'go back up' option for a few seconds after, would help in quite a few places in gw - particularly where you're in combat and can't mount or use a fkn waypoint.

The fundamental failure of GW2 IMO is that at the end of the day it's a farming game for people who want to minmax their grinding efficiency and everything else is a distant second to that.

Like, I remember when dungeons were still a thing and you just hid in a very specific corner for every encounter to break LOS and force the enemies to stack on you. Epic fantasy adventure, what's that?

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Strategic Tea posted:

The fundamental failure of GW2 IMO is that at the end of the day it's a farming game for people who want to minmax their grinding efficiency and everything else is a distant second to that.

Thats every MMORPG ever though. Fans of that genre love to optimize the fun out of everything then complain how boring the content is. Remember in WoW / WoW Classic where you paid mages to 1 pull dungeons for you to for powerleveling? That way you could rush a character to 60 and then speedrun the arena in BRD for a 0.5% chance drop armor piece which was BIS.

If the efficiency isn't measured with a stopwatch, it's measured with a DPS parser. That's just the nature of these games.

edit: and my cursory knowledge of FPS games, the same thing happens. You memorize choke points / blind spots on maps and basically cycle through them ad nauseum hoping to catch the enemy running past it at that given moment. It's all just optimizing the fun out of it.

Flytitle
Nov 12, 2012

Mailer posted:

From random things I've read the hype for WvW is/was big in AU and you could probably still find some OCX buddies. If you want to do group PvE with any sort of consistency, and are on a typical daytime AU schedule, just give up now.

It depends slightly--a lot of my Australian friends have had some success with stuff like RA on reset night. So I'd say it's possible if you're willing to invest some time in finding places like Hardstuck or RA, ie big Discords that have large organizing communities. Otherwise, yeah, the servers do favor NA primetime (something like 4 pm PST for about 5-8hrs or so.)

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
At the very least capturing the castle should be be on the same achievement as the keep one, so you could capture 3 keeps or 1 castle to complete it. Also I still don't get the usage of the desert borderland cause it seems way more complex then the alpine one. Did they intend to do more maps at one point and have all of them cycle together rather than having a bizarre full time two alpine/one desert setup?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Flytitle posted:

It depends slightly--a lot of my Australian friends have had some success with stuff like RA on reset night. So I'd say it's possible if you're willing to invest some time in finding places like Hardstuck or RA, ie big Discords that have large organizing communities. Otherwise, yeah, the servers do favor NA primetime (something like 4 pm PST for about 5-8hrs or so.)

I'd imagine the resets happening at 18:30 (currently) here would help with that. I hadn't thought about the weekly reset being disconnected from the daily, since it essentially doesn't matter to me. You'll have some super night owls who want to hit it the second it's available.

I'm not up to raid tier yet, though. I'm talking about the pre-super-organized tier of content (daily strikes/fractals, big strike chains, etc) that is entirely LFG-based. That's dependent on the population actually doing that content at the time. Instead I've been filling time with DE and nothing but DE, since there's a 21:00 group for that which is fairly consistent.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Mercury_Storm posted:

At the very least capturing the castle should be be on the same achievement as the keep one, so you could capture 3 keeps or 1 castle to complete it. Also I still don't get the usage of the desert borderland cause it seems way more complex then the alpine one. Did they intend to do more maps at one point and have all of them cycle together rather than having a bizarre full time two alpine/one desert setup?

That's essentially how it works since you only need 6 of the 7 achievements.

Desert BL was supposed to completely replace the alpine one, but players hated it so much they walked it back to just being 1 of the 3. The desert map has honestly grown on me because there are lots more fun ways to use terrain for fights and figure out how to use the verticality to your advantage. I do think it's slightly too big. Something halfway between the two current BL sizes would have been better.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It would've helped if it didn't have the Tangled Depths or Echovald problem of the map being terrible for telling you which ramps and teleporters will actually get you where you want to go and the elevation you want to be on.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Last post I'll make this week on raids:

A lot of those raid communities (Skein, Hardstuck, RA) operate on a 'demand creates opportunity' system. If you have 7-8 people in Ocean timezones who want to raid, you can get grouped into a raid group. From there they just get fills until they can form a static 10-man. I joined Skein Gang and maybe 5-7 times a day there's a ping for raids looking for people to fill, and it happens all throughout the day. I'm PST but I've seen pings for fills at 8am and now 11am. If you want to raid you need to put yourself out there and tell a raid community "I want to raid".

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

It's already probably been posted here, but I'm gonna give a shout out to lord hizen's celestial vindicator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYpyjxo8s6Y

Dude tends to exaggerate his builds a lot but for once I think a build really deserves the title of `best for open world`. It actually puts the old glory days of renegade to shame. If you're looking for something to fill the hole in your heart for `utterly immortal in open world with good damage` that celestial renegade left behind, can't recommend it enough.

The power version is pretty much just there if you wanna do greatsword and are okay with giving up a lot of tank, so it's probably better suited for stuff like meta trains or drizzlewood coast.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

but i dont want to raid, i just want the rewards

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The best tanky open world build is a commander tag so you can summon a bunch of NPCs to follow you around. It works with any specialization and gear set.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Meeko posted:

It's already probably been posted here, but I'm gonna give a shout out to lord hizen's celestial vindicator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYpyjxo8s6Y

Dude tends to exaggerate his builds a lot but for once I think a build really deserves the title of `best for open world`. It actually puts the old glory days of renegade to shame. If you're looking for something to fill the hole in your heart for `utterly immortal in open world with good damage` that celestial renegade left behind, can't recommend it enough.

The power version is pretty much just there if you wanna do greatsword and are okay with giving up a lot of tank, so it's probably better suited for stuff like meta trains or drizzlewood coast.

I want to try this but if I'm too poor for runes of tormenting what would you recommend?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Try divinity, durability, leadership, or firebrand runes instead. Ultimately tormenting are the best though.

Mr. Neutron fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 3, 2023

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Mr. Neutron posted:

Try divinity, durability, leadership, or firebrand runes instead. Ultimately tormenting are the best though.

Actually they're a lot cheaper than the last time I looked, I guess the return of S1 has put more sprockets into the world? I can buy what I need for like 20g, so gently caress it. If nothing else I can still use them with my cele renegade.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Humerus posted:

Actually they're a lot cheaper than the last time I looked, I guess the return of S1 has put more sprockets into the world? I can buy what I need for like 20g, so gently caress it. If nothing else I can still use them with my cele renegade.

drat, I spent like 8-12g each for my Mesmer a while ago.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/127247-february-14-balance-update-preview/

Some good-rear end changes for guardian in this one. Willbender virtues now stack instead of overwriting each other, so maybe alacrity willbender will become a little more viable as you can keep up your DPS with the F1 virtue. And they actually buffed the hammer! Now the ranged immobilize skill will grant barrier if you connect with it, the third auto-attack (with the built-in symbol) executes faster, and mighty blow (the big smash) will teleport you to your target if you launched them with banish in the past five seconds. That last part sounds pretty interesting, since previously you'd probably have to lock them in with the hammer 5 ring first to ensure that the launch wouldn't put them too far away.

I still dislike the GW2 system of having auto-attack chains with poor readability and back-loaded damage/effects (the hammer is the only guardian weapon with its symbol tied to its auto-attack), but I might give it a try just to see if it's worth using now

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I caught a bit of that livestream and thought I was on drugs hearing them talk about how cool it is that they're reverting mantras back to the clunky precast stuff

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I caught a bit of that livestream and thought I was on drugs hearing them talk about how cool it is that they're reverting mantras back to the clunky precast stuff

At least for mesmer mantras, I feel as though they lost a lot of functionality when they made that change. The ammo recharge for the mantras was longer than the recharge for the precast skill, and using the precast would get you full ammo and an additional benefit, which meant you were rewarded for using up your mantras and recasting.

The firebrand mantras were opposite, where the ammo recharge time was much shorter than the precast recharge time, which meant you were punished for using up your mantras (even though the last charge was more powerful). I hope they make some changes to the recharge times to make it a decent option to actually use up your mantras, but we'll see.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Did they ever do something about eles needing to press 3 buttons to accomplish what other classes can do in 1? that and thief are the only classes I never got in to but I'm think of branching out this time

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Ele is getting some major buffs soon, in particular to staff and sword and alac, which might actually be big enough to make it so the effort put in gets something back in return for being the squishiest class with lackluster utility.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Nice, I'll hold off until then and then give it a shot

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It’s me, I’m the guy who missed chanting mantras. This is all my fault, apologies

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The preparation animations were cool, the part where you're an idiot, a huge moron for using the last charge and having to prepare them again, not so much.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

orcane posted:

The preparation animations were cool, the part where you're an idiot, a huge moron for using the last charge and having to prepare them again, not so much.

I am glad that all the try hards are going to have to unlearn "just press it off cool down" muscle memories

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Mantras are a non insignificant ingredient in my sub-20 buttons per minute firebrand quickheal rotation so now I'm afraid of having to get good :ohdear:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
This is a neat touch I never saw before, in Sandswept isles at night there are a bunch of baby turtles that hatch on the beach and slowly walk towards the water.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Humerus posted:

I want to try this but if I'm too poor for runes of tormenting what would you recommend?

Tormenting are the best in terms of damage and a smidge of sustain but they don't do anything irreplaceable. If you want a cheap stand-in to just try it out, Runes of the Lich would be my personal recommendation. 15% flat condi duration and 4% condi damage is pretty solid, especially for how cheap they are (a full set is going to run you about 60 silver even if you buy instantly). Rune of the Traveler is a decent QoL option for farm trains - less damage, but you get more tank and the always-nice +25% movement speed and still hella cheap.

I think firebrand runes are too expensive and you don't need the quickness, durability is hella too expensive unless you're sitting on hundreds of testimonies of heroics and is way overkill for boon duration, leadership runes are the same problem but eve more expensive, and Divinity is okay but still much more expensive than Lich for smaller DPS gains.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

This is a neat touch I never saw before, in Sandswept isles at night there are a bunch of baby turtles that hatch on the beach and slowly walk towards the water.

That is a adorable, I've never seen that!

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Continued discussion on Cele Vindicator:
I thought I had the recipe for the runes of tormenting, turns out I had recipes for the sigils. But anyway I've got all my cele poo poo from Cele Renegade so I just swapped the sigils in my weapons for now while I wait for the rune recipe to show up at the vendors.
I know "weapon swap" procs activate when I swap my Legend, but do they also proc on swapping my utilities within the Alliance stance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I believe it's just regular legend swap that procs it. Also give me your account name, I'll send you the runes.