Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Milo and POTUS posted:

I have a soft spot for it too. And god those sets were cool

Oh yeah, the sequel of course has it beat in nearly every category except Mega City One street level scenes, with cyberpunk cars & fashion. Plus it was cool to see the Cursed Earth, the ABC robots were neat, and interesting to see how the rich folk lived in their nice towers.

Balloon chat, is a likely reason it wasn’t shot down that they probably don’t know 100% if it is manned? Would guess probably worth the trade off to let it linger a bit and work it out over back channels rather than risk China having to react to a pilot being killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Balloon chat, is a likely reason it wasn’t shot down that they probably don’t know 100% if it is manned? Would guess probably worth the trade off to let it linger a bit and work it out over back channels rather than risk China having to react to a pilot being killed.

I think the concern is more "Can't say with certainty where the debris will end up once shot down" and they don't want to risk it causing property damage or worse.

Something falling from 60,000 feet isn't going to fall in a straight line to the ground.

Barcley
Jan 26, 2004

---

Soiled Meat
I have very big doubts that the balloon is manned, its at 60k feet and isn't traveling fast, seems like a waste of payload to put a person in it and all the food/oxygen/heat they'd need to survive

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
It could literally just be a weather balloon gone missing.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

I have a soft spot for it too. And god those sets were cool

Youths today growing up on the endless firehose of Marvel movies have completely missed out on that period in the 80's and 90's when movies based on comics and video games were just complete nonsense with the flimsiest possible connection to the source material.

I'm still wondering how they managed to trick Max von Sydow to be in that movie.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Don't forget Blade, which is objectively the best Marvel film

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

It could literally just be a weather balloon gone missing.

Apparently it loitered over some sensitive US nuke sites in Montana.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Whats it going to see that satellites can't? Does it have propulsion onboard or something?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Apparently it loitered over some sensitive US nuke sites in Montana.

Google Maps already has that data anyways, who cares.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

lightpole posted:

Whats it going to see that satellites can't? Does it have propulsion onboard or something?

Satellites travel on a known orbital path so you can just hide stuff in a hangar when they pass over. They can alter direction somewhat but it uses up a lot of propellant and thus decreases the lifespan so it's sort of a "call the director/president" level of decision.

And I'd imagine you can get more SIGINT data at "low" altitude than from in space, and again potentially stuff that could be hidden from sats.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

C.M. Kruger posted:

Satellites travel on a known orbital path so you can just hide stuff in a hangar when they pass over. They can alter direction somewhat but it uses up a lot of propellant and thus decreases the lifespan so it's sort of a "call the director/president" level of decision.

And I'd imagine you can get more SIGINT data at "low" altitude than from in space, and again potentially stuff that could be hidden from sats.

Yeah I'd bet it's 100% more SIGINT than anything else.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
A slow moving, very obvious balloon that we’ve supposedly been tracking for days isn’t going to catch anything sitting outside a hanger either though.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

fknlo posted:

A slow moving, very obvious balloon that we’ve supposedly been tracking for days isn’t going to catch anything sitting outside a hanger either though.

This. And balloons are basically dependent on the Jetstream I thought, didn't the guy that wanted to take one around the world struggle cause of this?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

lightpole posted:

And balloons are basically dependent on the Jetstream I thought, didn't the guy that wanted to take one around the world struggle cause of this?

Jet stream is comparatively low altitude and violent. Wanna get above it and just easy ride.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Tiny Timbs posted:

People send hobby balloons up there. I’d believe somebody could whip something together if they were motivated.

Hobby rockets too

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

lightpole posted:

Satellites are great and all, but diffraction limits the max resolution you can get from a particular sensor size, not counting other factors like atmospheric distortion. Once you hit that limit you either need to greatly increase your sensor size (hard with something you need to launch into orbit) or get you sensor closer to what its looking at.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffraction-limited_system?wprov=sfla1

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:stare:

:stare:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Whoops, meant to post that in the Army thread.

Whatever, we can all laugh at it.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Holy crap.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

One like one prayer one medal

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

holy gently caress, the army must be about to fall apart.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Puerto Rico National Guard, you mean.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fknlo posted:

As someone whose work day is currently revolving around the balloon and reports about the balloon, there wasn't going to be much pretending we couldn't see it. It's very, very obvious.

Yeah it’s more prominent than Venus.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I posted the balloon thing as a "lol look at this dumb thing" type of item.

I really should've known it would consume about 100% of the newsmedia oxygen with every dumbass with access to a television saying I THINK WE SHOULD SHOOT IT DOWN and now it's a full national security/diplomatic incident.

I couldn't give less of a gently caress. Call me when some idiot tries to shoot it and the tumbling bullet puts a hole in something.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s a shame that it’s so high.

If it were flying under the ceiling of GA craft, some hero would have brought it down.

:cb::blastback::patriot:

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
If it makes you guys feel better, after all the releases in the cf in 2018, we only had 2 more members than the year before

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

E. Wrong paste

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

It’s a shame that it’s so high.

If it were flying under the ceiling of GA craft, some hero would have brought it down.

:cb::blastback::patriot:

I’m holding out hope that there’s some misanthropic yet patriotic teen who’s figuring out how to mount 3D-printed guns to a DJI Phantom drone to send it up there and take down that infernal Chinese war balloon spying on our innocent nukes as they’re sunbathing in the Montana wilderness.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Refer 1 friend and get a red dot, 3 friends get an M203, 5 friends a M9, 8 friends a SAW and 10 friends an AT4. 15 you get one of those high cut FAST helmets

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
russia has a similar program, but it moves you up the list of who gets to hold the ammo or gun

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Suicide Watch posted:

Refer 1 friend and get a red dot, 3 friends get an M203, 5 friends a M9, 8 friends a SAW and 10 friends an AT4. 15 you get one of those high cut FAST helmets

Oh word? Any of y’all want to re-enlist?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

facialimpediment posted:

I posted the balloon thing as a "lol look at this dumb thing" type of item.

I really should've known it would consume about 100% of the newsmedia oxygen with every dumbass with access to a television saying I THINK WE SHOULD SHOOT IT DOWN and now it's a full national security/diplomatic incident.

I couldn't give less of a gently caress. Call me when some idiot tries to shoot it and the tumbling bullet puts a hole in something.

I’d be absolutely shocked if it’s not getting shot at by idiots on the ground

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Cross posting but chances of that are increasing

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Given the projected path, chances for random locals firing wildly in the air to take down the Communist menace increasing:

https://twitter.com/wildweatherdan/status/1621604602163466248?cxt=HHwWkMC84eiyjIEtAAAA

Taking bets on whether you get more fireworks from Knoxville/Gatlinburg or Fayetteville/Bragg.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
https://twitch.tv/watchmeforever An AI was given the Seinfeld catalogue and is now making it's own Seinfeld episodes from here to eternity

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Suicide Watch posted:

Refer 50 friends and you get a stylish 50's vintage backpack nuke

Jimmy Smuts fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 4, 2023

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Refer 50 friends and you get a stylish 50's vintage backpack nuke

Sold. Gonna con an entire high school graduating class into going 18X.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

TheWeedNumber posted:

Sold. Gonna con an entire high school graduating class into going 18X.
JROTC beat you to it

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Jimmy Smuts posted:

JROTC beat you to it

gently caress, beaten by a 40 year old Air Force master sergeant tryna slang dick to 16 year olds. Really wanted that baby nuke.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

maffew buildings posted:

https://twitch.tv/watchmeforever An AI was given the Seinfeld catalogue and is now making it's own Seinfeld episodes from here to eternity

As if 9 seasons of that show wasn't enough of a plague on humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Lemniscate Blue posted:

As if 9 seasons of that show wasn't enough of a plague on humanity.

Still better than the Office.