Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Shinks leave every 5-10 minutes it's fine you'll be fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Reading Chinese is very handy in Japan. A lot of kanji is the same, particularly like nouns on menus. You also do not need to know a word of Japanese to get around Tokyo.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Ned posted:

Have you thought about the island on the middle of the tunnel? Umi Hotaru.

Someone mentioned it - I'm not sure I'll have the equipment needed to take the photos I'm looking for, plus in terms of time and transit it'd be easier to just go to Chiba Port Park.

some kinda jackal posted:

Completely aside, any recommendations for clubs playing House/Trance/DnB? Tokyo or Osaka welcome, I’ll be hitting both. Just want to check out something local :)

I'd like to get some recs if there's liquid/atmospheric DnB clubs, cafes, or lounges out there. I'm not big on dancing but I love the poo poo out of the music. It'd be really awesome to have a few drinks while stuff that sounds like LTJ Bukem is playing.

MJP fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 1, 2023

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mister Chief posted:

90% of the time if you speak Japanese to a Japanese person they will stare blankly at you or reply in English anyway.

Iunno, that wasn’t really my experience. Maybe it’s because I only spoke relatively simple sentences, or was too drunk to know what I was even saying, but people seemed to at least be polite about my broken garbage and try to communicate back. It also seems like it’s actually preferred if you default to Japanese, even if you eventually have to switch to English.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Mister Chief posted:

90% of the time if you speak Japanese to a Japanese person they will stare blankly at you or reply in English anyway.
Only after saying “nihongo jouzu” of course, no matter how bad my Japanese is.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Question Mark Mound posted:

Only after saying “nihongo jouzu” of course, no matter how bad my Japanese is.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I guess if you take it as "thanks for at least trying" it's not as bad as "oh you sweet gaijin dumbass, look at how inferior you are to our ancient culture" or otherwise. I'm awful at languages and just getting Duolingo in has been something of a miracle - at least I have a shot at reading what something is before whipping out Google Translate and/or a lifetime of subbed anime, which is absolutely linguistically correct, of course

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Just reply eigo jouzu when they speak broken English.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Just say thank you and then forget about it in ten seconds like a normal person does

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

MJP posted:

I guess if you take it as "thanks for at least trying" it's not as bad as "oh you sweet gaijin dumbass, look at how inferior you are to our ancient culture" or otherwise. I'm awful at languages and just getting Duolingo in has been something of a miracle - at least I have a shot at reading what something is before whipping out Google Translate and/or a lifetime of subbed anime, which is absolutely linguistically correct, of course

nobody thinks any of this when they say that

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
I’m awful at people help

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i'm on the narita express right now and they mentioned it was delayed due to a vehicle collision on the yamanotte line. is that anything to consider for traveling up to saporro tomorrow?

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
For a giant mega city of the world, pretty efficient in clearing away the suicides and wreckage and accidents.

If a century record breaking snowstorm won’t stop the country or cause power outages like Texas, im confident this country can deal with a minor traffic accident

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

The Yamanote Line is economically the most important JR line in the country, so no, you have nothing to worry about. Hell, it was running by 8AM the morning after the 3/11 earthquake.
edit: unless there's a 2/2 earthquake. then sapporo will be the least of your concerns

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 2, 2023

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

i'm on the narita express right now and they mentioned it was delayed due to a vehicle collision on the yamanotte line. is that anything to consider for traveling up to saporro tomorrow?

Nah. There shouldn’t be any issue with flights either, the weather is pretty clear and Haneda-Chitose is like flights every 20 minutes or something stupid. Just get out to the airport in time and you should be ok. Not necessarily “flying in the US” early, mind you, but if you’re worried.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

harperdc posted:

Nah. There shouldn’t be any issue with flights either, the weather is pretty clear and Haneda-Chitose is like flights every 20 minutes or something stupid. Just get out to the airport in time and you should be ok. Not necessarily “flying in the US” early, mind you, but if you’re worried.

we're taking the shinkansen up because wife was afraid of snow storms messing with flights. you live and you learn.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

also Dhaba India was excellent.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

we're taking the shinkansen up because wife was afraid of snow storms messing with flights. you live and you learn.

ah. on the one hand, it's the longer and much more take-time-and-enjoy way to go, but on the other, it might be a higher risk of snow interruption :v:

also the issues for the Yamanote Line (jumpers, signal outages, etc) generally don't impact the Shinkansen the same way - different signals and tracks, and outside of built up urban areas where they run parallel, there's usually no chance to get to the Shinkansen tracks so harder to have service interruptions. But that's more gut feeling than hard fact.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Occasionally someone self-immolates and takes some randos down with him though

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Trains are more pleasant than flying, you made the right choice.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
If there was a stop over in Aomori then yeah that’s great, but right now from Tokyo to Sapporo feels like Tokyo to kumamato.

We just have to wait until 2030? 2040? For the Hokkaido Shinkansen to finish and we can get shin-nozomi trains to Sapporo

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I cannot wait for your trip.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

zmcnulty posted:

Occasionally someone self-immolates and takes some randos down with him though

just in case anyone thought this was a joke https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-33322794

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i'm so happy we took the train up to sapporo. the views are incredible.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I barely know anything about your dad but I can already tell I would be miserable traveling with him, because he reminds me of my own father from what little I know

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Asking about an izakaya expert is pretty much the same as paying for a ramen tour

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Assuming he is like 85% joking and 15% serious, your dad seems cool and fun to travel with. "Here is a potentially fun Japanese concept that I didn't know about, see anything you find interesting?" Like I'd never heard of kaiseki before a friend of mine I'm traveling with mentioned it as a possibility. It looks like a grueling extended cut version of a multi-course French style menu, but probably interesting to do once, like going to the first 5 minutes of a kabuki show before walking out in bewilderment

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If your dad is buying dinner and drinks, I will happily translate the menu.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Shikoku-Ehime goonmeet :getin:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Shikoku-Ehime goonmeet :getin:

Kochi will be there. ;)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Still gotta figure out some lodging, and it’d be a great chance to go for some fancy places. We’ll be spending some time in the Iya valley and it looks like there’s a few B&Bs in the area. Hearing names like Togenkyo and Chiiori.

I don’t know how to vet minshuku, though. Anyone got advice? I’d love to stay at one instead of a typical hotel room, but I’m not sure what to expect and it’s hard to make choices.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Dormy inn takamatsu??

And there’s a ryokan in kotohira with a private house + bath

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

fancy places ... minshuku

Here's your first problem

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

field balm posted:

can't rec anywhere in particular but soup curry is one of my fav regional things

this was a good call. We had Picante which was about a 15 min walk from our hotel and it was great.

we're exploring the snow festival today. gonna wing it on food based on tabelog.

When looking at tabelog what number is like the threshold of this is going to be awesome? it seems to me that anything rated above a 3.5 is pretty drat good.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Tabelog ratings are pretty uninflated so yeah, anything over 3 is likely to be good. I've been to multiple superb restaurants that are 3.5s on there.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 3, 2023

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Sorry for yet another jr pass question, it's the last thing I'm organising - is there a specific supplier you need to buy it from to access online shinkansen seat booking? Google is not clear at all. Not a huge concern but convenience is king for me.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I'll be going through shikoku this year. See you all soon.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Still gotta figure out some lodging, and it’d be a great chance to go for some fancy places. We’ll be spending some time in the Iya valley and it looks like there’s a few B&Bs in the area. Hearing names like Togenkyo and Chiiori.

I don’t know how to vet minshuku, though. Anyone got advice? I’d love to stay at one instead of a typical hotel room, but I’m not sure what to expect and it’s hard to make choices.

Look at ryokan instead, or even hotels with tatami rooms. Everything you need to know should be on the hotel website or Google Maps photos.

Our favorite minshuku is called Nagoma, it's out on Imabari Oshima.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Conveyer belt sushi. People suck.