Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Hwurmp posted:

Hyper Demon
Hi-Fi Rush

I'm not sure those are demanding if he's trying to push his specs. Stylish, to be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

AfricanBootyShine posted:

What are the most graphically demanding games with stylized/unique art direction?

The standards (Cyberpunk 2077, Control, Metro Exodus) don't really do anything for me-- and I think it's because they're all going for cinematic realism with different color palettes. I'm curious if there's a video game equivalent of Into the Spider-Verse - that pushes current tech in a way that isn't just about repeating what's come before.

you can try returnal PC soonish

OmegaFartHuffer
Feb 23, 2022
Hello all. I’m selling a PS2 version of HL2, and also the design book for HL2, Raising the Bar. in SA Mart. Both in pristine condition. Please feel free to give me a PM or post in my threads if interested.

Thanks!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Control, maybe?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
also checkout cyberpunk 2077 and metro exodus while you're at it :v:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Lol my eyes completely slid over that one.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

What are the most graphically demanding games with stylized/unique art direction?

The standards (Cyberpunk 2077, Control, Metro Exodus) don't really do anything for me-- and I think it's because they're all going for cinematic realism with different color palettes. I'm curious if there's a video game equivalent of Into the Spider-Verse - that pushes current tech in a way that isn't just about repeating what's come before.

Grounded
Need For Speed Unbound

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
The Guardians of the Galaxy game was graphically demanding and had some relatively unique art direction, not sure it meets the "stylized" criteria though.

Kena: Bridge of Spirits might fit the bill though I haven't actually gotten around to playing it. I've heard good things and from what I played it was optimized well and would serve as a good benchmark.

Crash 4 doesn't have any fancy ray-tracing like Guardians but still looks great and would be a good test for a new computer. Spyro Trilogy as well though I think that's less demanding.

Don't play Fortnite personally but it's free and they recently updated it with Lumen lighting so you might as well download it and try it out.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Fortnite with the recent graphics engine upgrade is one of the prettiest games out there IMO. It's a lot of fun just wandering around looking at stuff.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/simple-life?partner=nintendeal

$10 for:
Yonder:The cloud catcher Chronicle
Lake
Townscaper
Garden Paws
Winkeltije:the little shop
Summer in mara
Staxel
Lunas fishing garden

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Frankly, graphical fidelity and unique art direction don't really mix. Since the most graphically intensive games are those trying to be true to life rather than in service of an art style, stylized games are generally much less intensive on the GPU. So I'll just list some very beautiful (3D) games, whether the art meets your criteria depends on you.

Plague Tale: Either 1 or 2 but 2 looks better and has some beautiful sets
Jedi Fallen Order
Spiderman/Miles Morales
Metro Exodus Enhanced
God of War 1/2
Deathloop
Chorus
Far Cry 6
Elden Ring
Ghostwire Tokyo
Scorn (this one maybe fits better than all the others)
Death Stranding
Guardians of the Galaxy
Arkham Knight
Beam.NG Drive
Mortal Kombat 11
Elden Ring

These are all PC, Playstation has some pretty games as well but I don't have one

e: maybe the Resident Evil Remakes/Village as well

Play fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 4, 2023

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Atomic Heart comes out in a few weeks. They just released a decent video going over the world and gameplay. Looks like it could be a fun time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsAOAW5ZGZw

I felt like I didn't hear anything on this game for 3 or 4 years until suddenly "Oh yeah it's out in a month!"

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It'll be on gamepass too! :toot:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

atomic

fart

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Teardown is pretty as gently caress if you like voxels

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ymgve posted:

Teardown is pretty as gently caress if you like voxels

I was thinking this too. It'll bring any PC to it's knees with the right mods as well.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The new Spellforce 4x game is basically Age of Wonders, Heroes of Might and Magic, and Master of Magic put in a blender and spit out with a low price tag and high polish. Dig it.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

drat, that's pretty high praise. I might have to pick it up.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Super cheap, too. $24 on Steam for the first week and something like $20 on GOG.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Brocktoon posted:

Extremely happy and proud to share that after toiling in the video game mines for over a decade, my brother has struck out on his own and made the game he has been thinking about for years. Loosely inspired by Miasmata, CACHE GRABBERS is a relaxing, first-person cartography puzzle game, and its page just went up on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2258260/Cache_Grabbers/

CACHE GRABBERS now has a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usFNLsvGYb4

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

OmegaFartHuffer posted:

Hello all. I’m selling a PS2 version of HL2, and also the design book for HL2, Raising the Bar. in SA Mart. Both in pristine condition. Please feel free to give me a PM or post in my threads if interested.

Thanks!

Hey, please don't use this thread for sales stuff. Keep SA-Mart in SA-Mart. Thanks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Goddammit, finally got to play Half Life: Alyx and it's really loving good. VR is a pain in the rear end to set up, dries out my eyes and I don't really have a suitable space to use it but loving hell if it wasn't amazing being back in City 17.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Goddammit, finally got to play Half Life: Alyx and it's really loving good. VR is a pain in the rear end to set up, dries out my eyes and I don't really have a suitable space to use it but loving hell if it wasn't amazing being back in City 17.

Back when I had my work laptop that could run it, I showed by brother and his wife and they never left the starting area. They just took it all in, messed with the markers etc.

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

Anodyne is free on itch.io in celebration of its 10th anniversary.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

CLARPUS posted:

Anodyne is free on itch.io in celebration of its 10th anniversary.

To add to this for anyone interested, a couple years ago they made the entirety of the first Anodyne game open-source. Everything from the music and the graphics to the actual game source is available on github and free for use in any projects of your own, if you are a "paid owner" of Anodyne (which may or may not count when it's free? idk): https://github.com/analgesicproductions/Anodyne-1-Repo

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

PowerBeard posted:

Back when I had my work laptop that could run it, I showed by brother and his wife and they never left the starting area. They just took it all in, messed with the markers etc.

Legit had to force myself to leave the balcony, drinking in the city and writing all over the window with the markers was pretty amazing.

I don't know if it is programmed to always happen regardless of where you stand but almost getting crushed to death by a Strider leg was also a hell of a moment. I've gotten as far as the brain-damaged Vortigaunt giving me a snack for the road and I've been absolutely blown away by the detail. It kind of reminds me of back before Half Life 2 came out and some pictures of the actual city that inspired City 17 were revealed, and at first people thought that is what the game's graphics looked like, which was silly of course.

Half Life Alyx the game's graphics actually look like that! :stare:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I would love to play HL:Alyx but my experience with it involves slamming my hands into my spinning ceiling fan and going "yeah maybe one day when I have a bigger home" lmao

victrix posted:

The new Spellforce 4x game is basically Age of Wonders, Heroes of Might and Magic, and Master of Magic put in a blender and spit out with a low price tag and high polish. Dig it.

I only played for about an hour but I can confirm that this game seems to be very good. Well-polished, lots of fun customization for your units, and most importantly this is one of those rare 4x games that doesn't try to be a balanced competitive game between equal factions, it's intended to be a singleplayer game where you compete with the world and environment more than equal-footing enemy empires with the same goals as you. For the price point it's an easy recommend though I can't speak for late-game longevity.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 4, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

still most demos for Steam Next Fest seem to be hidden, though it starts on Monday. but I saw Darkest Dungeon 2 demo show up in upcoming with a "February" date, so that seems like it'll be a part of it.

Teslagrad 2 will be a part of it as well, as I mentioned before

e: looking on Twitter, here's some more: (bolding games that have been seen at E3 or Wholesome Games events)

Planet of Lana
The Last Case of Benedict Fox
Sherlock Holmes: The Awakening (remake)
Slopecrashers
Pixelshire
Arcadian Atlas
Phantom Brigade
Gestalt Steam & Cinder (it returns??? it's not vaporware??)
Dad by the Sword (speaking of ex-vaporware, holy poo poo)
Die by the Blade
Mika and the Witch's Mountain
Dark and Darker
Mindhack
Koa and the Five Pirates of Mara (Mail Mole developer)
Bzzzt
Zid Journey (sequel to Zniw Adventure)
Wandering Sword
Spiritfall
Death or Treat
Prison City
RADIO THE UNIVERSE (wtf it's the "we're not vaporware" festival!!)

and via an official trailer from Valve:

Inkbound (Monster Train dev)
I Wish Michael Phantomino Was Here
Goodbye Volcano High
Guardians of Gaia
Xenonauts 2
Glitch Busters
Mail Time
Mahou Senshi Cosplay Club (Chroma Squad developer)
Fake Heart
Rushaway
Bramble: The Mountain King
Dungeon Drafters
Ghostland Yard
Trinity Fusion

this is a much bigger banger Next Fest than October's

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 4, 2023

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

deep dish peat moss posted:

I would love to play HL:Alyx but my experience with it involves slamming my hands into my spinning ceiling fan and going "yeah maybe one day when I have a bigger home" lmao

My biggest issue is that it's secretly a horror game and I can't play more than about 30 min at a time in this stupid head crab hotel without getting freaked out

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The 7th Guest posted:

still most demos for Steam Next Fest seem to be hidden, though it starts on Monday. but I saw Darkest Dungeon 2 demo show up in upcoming with a "February" date, so that seems like it'll be a part of it.

you're missing The Great War

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://twitter.com/mageknight14/status/1621515741274202112

Looks like a quality action game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

you're missing The Great War
i'm for sure missing plenty, it's just a billion game devs post on social media so, i dont want to scroll for hours (especially because i'll see multiple tweets from the same developer)

Next Fests usually have around 300-400 demos (they claim to have more but that never seems true to me), so I'm obviously not going to list every one

i'm kinda hoping Animal Well will be part of it but they haven't tweeted anything to that effect :(

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Is that official gameplay or game journalist gameplay? I can't help but notice that whatever those four things in the bottom right corner are, they don't seem to be getting used at all.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Is HL Alyx worth playing if you've got an OG Vive? I haven't used the thing in years but I'm tempted to give it a go.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

who could have seen this coming from the makers of Disney's Chicken Little and Disney Bolt?

it'll still sell a billion copies sadly

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Aphex- posted:

Is HL Alyx worth playing if you've got an OG Vive? I haven't used the thing in years but I'm tempted to give it a go.

I have an OG Vive and had no issues playing it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Wait what, are they trying to make it play vaguely like a soulslike or Devil may cry game? That’s a real weird direction to take Harry Potter in.

E:

victrix posted:

Dang I thought the Spellforce series was weird eurojank. That sounds amazing, I’m going to check it out now

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 4, 2023

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Fruits of the sea posted:

Wait what, are they trying to make it play vaguely like a soulslike or Devil may cry game? That’s a real weird direction to take Harry Potter in.

Harry may Cry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
It seems roughly like they might be going for a PS4 God of War type thing.