Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Twelve by Pies posted:

I have now watched the first episode of Donbrothers.

I have no idea what the hell is going on. I've never been this completely and utterly lost after a Sentai episode.

All I can say is man I hope Pink doesn't look like this the entire series. It looks really bad, even for toku CGI.

Welcome to Donbrothers. For both points, it never gets less "what the hell" but you learn to embrace the insanity sooner or later. The Donbrothers Poisoning is inevitable. The CGI also never gets better but I haven't learned to actually enjoy it yet, and I don't think I will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The cgi isn't pretty but it's fine.

Also we are 45 episodes into donbros and I think maybe I've just started to understand what's going on.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The cgi isn't pretty but it's fine.

Also we are 45 episodes into donbros and I think maybe I've just started to understand what's going on.
Yeah as I said before its utterly amazing how much sense everything makes and while nothing was ever explicitly stated in the previous episodes there is ample foreshadowing so it doesn't just seem the show is bullshiting its insane plot.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
DonBros spoilers for episode 45

Tsubasa getting repeatedly annoyed at Taro barking orders at him was a nice little character beat, because he hasn't been dealing with Taro's poo poo for almost a year or at least not in the same way the others have, so he's not beaten down

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Recent zord fights have been so ugly. The models are literally jittering across the screen. It’s a huge turn off for me. But Donbrother has been so good it’s worth suffering through

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Yeah I was incredibly disappointed that the ultimate mecha in Zenkaiger didn't actually have a suit, it was pure CGI. Still, it's not the sort of thing that's going to turn me off a series or ruin it for me if it's got good enough story and characters. I'll enjoy it and then just go "Man think how even greater it could have been if it didn't look like poo poo."

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
There are episodes where the Don Onitaijin CG looks quite good, but also ones where they clearly didn't have enough render hours.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah I was incredibly disappointed that the ultimate mecha in Zenkaiger didn't actually have a suit, it was pure CGI. Still, it's not the sort of thing that's going to turn me off a series or ruin it for me if it's got good enough story and characters. I'll enjoy it and then just go "Man think how even greater it could have been if it didn't look like poo poo."

There's not a full suit, but I think it's either this one or DonBrothers that do have close up shots of hands or feet of the mecha that look real so there's something

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

There's not a full suit, but I think it's either this one or DonBrothers that do have close up shots of hands or feet of the mecha that look real so there's something

Wasn’t there at least one episode early on that showed it outside of that weird virtual world the mecha fights usually take place in (not sure if that was still CG or a physical suit though)?

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

Larryb posted:

Wasn’t there at least one episode early on that showed it outside of that weird virtual world the mecha fights usually take place in (not sure if that was still CG or a physical suit though)?
Don Onitaijin, ToraDragonjin, and GolDon Onitaijin have physical suits. DonZenkai-Oh, Toradora Onitaijin, Toradora Onitaijin Kiwami, and Black Onitaijin Murasame are exclusively CG largely using Toei's new mocap filming stuff also used for Inu and Kiji's filming.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Geats episodes 7-9.

lmao immediately after I complain that they never went back to the ramen shop for character moments they go back to the ramen shop and have character moments. I feel like this first DGP is more of an introduction to the series, getting the main characters all set up, and the next DGP is going to be the real meat of the show. I'm excited to see where it goes, I assume they'll spend longer on it and we'll get more about what's going on outside of the DGP. The mystery of what did Ace wish for this time made me realize that the show this far has spent basically no time exploring what the world is like, how the Jyamato attacks and presumably hundreds or thousands of world-remaking wishes have changed things.

As I said, it feels like the show proper is ready to start and I'm onboard for it.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I've been loving Donbros but I haven't seen a scene with cg inubro or kijibro yet that wouldn't have been equally exciting and funnier if it was just actors wrestling insert statues like happened once earlier this season. They don't really detract from the show (because they don't matter much) but they are floaty and weird looking.

Edit: I could have sworn someone actually threw down with the Inubro puppet at some point but maybe I was just thinking of this scene where Miho picks him up.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 27, 2023

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://twitter.com/SailorHannibal/status/1619446014775296000

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
so just found out about this thing; https://tokullectibles.com/products/lucky-cat-micro-cosmos-mc-03-beast-lord and yeah might have to spend some cash on that

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot

drrockso20 posted:

so just found out about this thing; https://tokullectibles.com/products/lucky-cat-micro-cosmos-mc-03-beast-lord and yeah might have to spend some cash on that

That looks pretty sick. The "full power" form with the energy wings and the extra cannons reminds me of Final Dancougar.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In regards to the latest Geats, I saw Sae being the Desaster coming after the previous episode but that doesn’t necessarily make her a villain either considering there are extenuating circumstances behind it. I’ll be curious to see how things play out in the next one

Also with everything we’ve seen so far I wouldn’t be surprised if this series ultimately ends with the Riders turning on the higher ups and bringing down the DGP itself

In other news, the Gamera anime that was teased a little while back has been confirmed to be a 6 episode miniseries called Gamera Rebirth:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2023-01-29/gamera-rebirth-project-teaser-reveals-6-episode-anime-format/.194303

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1620249030822621186

Kamen Rider Black RX on Blu-ray. What a time to be alive.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'm just going to say it: I kind of hate how Black RX looks.

Like, where is your loving neck?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Unlucky7 posted:

I'm just going to say it: I kind of hate how Black RX looks.

Like, where is your loving neck?

he's a grasshopper

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Man, the Fever buckle is the most underwhelming first cour upgrade ever. They already established they're willing to go insanely ugly with that monkey punch buckle, so when I saw a shiny gold buckle, having been introduced as this big special thing that they weren't planning to distribute until circumstances required it, I was expecting a wonderfully gaudy suit. At the very least on the level of Build's soda upgrade.

What it actually turned out to be was very disappointing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Man, the Fever buckle is the most underwhelming first cour upgrade ever. They already established they're willing to go insanely ugly with that monkey punch buckle, so when I saw a shiny gold buckle, having been introduced as this big special thing that they weren't planning to distribute until circumstances required it, I was expecting a wonderfully gaudy suit. At the very least on the level of Build's soda upgrade.

No getting to see the full suits with gold accents rules. Complete Magnum and ninja look so good.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No getting to see the full suits with gold accents rules. Complete Magnum and ninja look so good.

Agreed. It's a shame they get used a whole total of once.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I know of some Japanese VAs who dipped into Sentai/KR roles (the big one being Tomokazu Sugita as Kivat), voicing belts/trinkets or villains or suit-only characters, but I just found out that Luka from Gokaiger voiced Ashera from Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and I'm kinda stunned

Is going from being a tokusatsu actor to a seiyuu uncommon, or is it a

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

M・A・O does a shitload of va work now. she rocks

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

i've seen some interviews that suggest that they're trying not to put as much emphasis on the toys this season so that's probably why.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

studio mujahideen posted:

M・A・O does a shitload of va work now. she rocks

She needs to with how much she's gonna whale for her husband in granblue

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Blaze Dragon posted:

Agreed. It's a shame they get used a whole total of once.
The main/big buckles mixing and matching do feel like a "This is mostly for the toys" thing with Boost & Fever being more general powerups and things they haven't seen yet being their own thing.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 1, 2023

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Elfgames posted:

i've seen some interviews that suggest that they're trying not to put as much emphasis on the toys this season so that's probably why.

Weird thing to say in a series that debuts a new form every episode.

Admittedly, yes, it doesn't debut a new toy every episode, the gimmick this time is just absurdly modular, but I wouldn't say Geats is exactly ignoring the toys. It's no Donbrothers where I constantly forget they can turn into other teams.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Elfgames posted:

Oh, that also explains why all the fights are bad.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://youtube.com/watch?v=VxuRwJBCnpo

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Youtube just recommended an independent tokusatsu short film shot on an iPhone (English subs are provided)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcibuYdB31A

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

Junpei posted:

Youtube just recommended an independent tokusatsu short film shot on an iPhone (English subs are provided)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcibuYdB31A
That's Orc. The main spearhead and designer behind it is Shoma Muto, a storyboard artist for Kamen Rider and Super Sentai, plus the designer of Ultraman Trigger's Dark Giants (plus Dark Trigger).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Super Legend God Hizoka, a micro-budget toku movie is getting a US bluray release. This one has what looks like a couple pretty impressive suits, and a familiar face for Ultraman fans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbf4FVS61Qs

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/RangerBoard/status/1621527269884964864

Oh gently caress yeah, garbage!

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
oh god, i remember watching it live as it aired the first episode with the powerpoint-ish BANG ZOOM FAIL bubbles and everyone in the world groaned.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh gently caress yeah, garbage!
II made it 2 minutes before the comic book panel cut-ins for all of Rita's goons inexplicably caused my tab to close down. :shrug: Also, what caused them to make the opening worse by re-arranging the footage and shrinking down stuff for no reason?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, Saban just wanted to do something right after they got the license back while they were working on Samurai and I guess this was quick, cheap, and an easy nostalgia grab.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Essentially around the time Saban bought back Power Rangers from Disney, Bandai had already begun work on the post RPM toylines, one was a bunch of MMPR stuff cause that was a relatively easy sell, the other was plans to do a toy only release for the Shikenger designs, that's why they did the dopey cockpit only suits for Samurai cause those suits had already been designed for the toys when the plan was to not have a show(the original plan being only doing toys for these new designs and ignore the original Sentai suits) and now that they had a show they needed to include them in some fashion to promote them

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Gripweed posted:

Oh, that also explains why all the fights are bad.

I don't know if I'd put Geats at the top of the Rider action pile (which is probably reserved for Amazons, Fourze, and maybe Build) but so far no one has beaten an enemy by farting on them, and the CG finishers are much less egregious, which puts it out in front of Revice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The constant tag team attacks and the moving/running shots in Geats are great and we get them at least once every two episodes I'm sorry you people are wrong the action is good.