Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I highly doubt Paralives is going to live up to the expectations that have been placed on it since 2014. I will be pleasantly surprised if it does, but people have be expecting it to come out and save the life sim in the exact way they want for nearly a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

hopeandjoy posted:

I highly doubt Paralives is going to live up to the expectations that have been placed on it since 2014. I will be pleasantly surprised if it does, but people have be expecting it to come out and save the life sim in the exact way they want for nearly a decade.

I think players really discount how extremely complex it is to build out these complicated and intertwining relationship webs for a life sim. Like there's a reason why The Sims is considered ground breaking and the one to really get it right after 4 iterations. You need the body count of a large team, budget and time and then people still dont quite have everything that they want because it still requires a lot of maintenance, body count, money and time.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

dorium posted:

I think players really discount how extremely complex it is to build out these complicated and intertwining relationship webs for a life sim. Like there's a reason why The Sims is considered ground breaking and the one to really get it right after 4 iterations. You need the body count of a large team, budget and time and then people still dont quite have everything that they want because it still requires a lot of maintenance, body count, money and time.

People said the same thing about city sims and then Cities Skylines came along and blew all the other ones out of the water. (Granted, Paralives could also go the way of Planet Coaster where they make a really promising prototype that never goes anywhere.)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I fully believe an indie studio can make a good life sim. It’s just that Paralives has been in development hell for so long and the hype about it saving life sims the way City Skylines saved city sims is so high that I have trouble believing any group could do it first try. City Skylines still came after several meh city builders from the same studio.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

mutantIke posted:

People said the same thing about city sims and then Cities Skylines came along and blew all the other ones out of the water. (Granted, Paralives could also go the way of Planet Coaster where they make a really promising prototype that never goes anywhere.)

City Skylines wasnt that dev's first title though, they developed 2 sim related projects before hand and then jumped into a much more larger in scale sim project. The people behind ParaLives seem to really be digging with tiny chisels on a giant task before they had gotten their feet wet on something scalable.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Very excited for The Singles 3

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

mutantIke posted:

I've been sinking hours into Project Zomboid as of late (really good indie game, basically The Sims 1 reimagined as a zombie survival roguelike) and it's made me realize how much I would dig a slightly edgier/more "realistic" Sims game. Not just silly stuff like calling sex sex and calling alcohol alcohol, but a game designed around longer character lives, deeper emotions, and more nuanced relationships. (There can still be ghosts and ghouls and poo poo, IDK). Maybe I'll find that in Paralives when that comes out in 2026

I was thinking the other day how Dwarf Fortress and Rimworld scratch most of the same itch for me as the Sims. The nice thing about those kinds of games is they (the good ones at least) let you go really hands off with your people and just focus on macro tasks like scheduling and construction and the ant farm part of watching a bunch of little people carrying out tasks in response to different needs and inputs. The people barely look like anything or animate at all, of course. I think an Indie Sims-like with cool ideas and Stardew Valley-level art could still do gangbusters though.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

dorium posted:

City Skylines wasnt that dev's first title though, they developed 2 sim related projects before hand and then jumped into a much more larger in scale sim project. The people behind ParaLives seem to really be digging with tiny chisels on a giant task before they had gotten their feet wet on something scalable.

Somehow I have gone my entire life without knowing that the Cities in "Cities Skylines" is meant to tie in with the Cities in "Cities in Motion". I thought it was just one of those games that had two names, like Brothers: A Tale Of Two Sons

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

For some reason I have it in my head that Cities XL was a part of that series, but no, it's just it's own thing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Welp, here you go. There's... houses in Paralives, I guess. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQZBA4qdupo

I feel like I should be kinder but it's still very much I'll believe it when I see it.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
But by god, what houses they are!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I haven't touched this game for ages.

My biggest problem with the game was that all of the maps are empty unless you populate them yourself, which I don't really enjoy.
I remember using MCCC to make random sims move into empty houses, which made the game a lot more fun for me, but that feature was extremely rudimentary and the city basically just ended up with a bunch of single students somehow living alone in giant mansions.
There doesn't happen to have been any developments in the recent years that would improve that? Any mods that solve that issue in a better way maybe?

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und
There was a fairly recent update where you can now customize what actions active and inactive households are allowed to take when you're not playing them, like getting married, having kids, moving lots, etc. I feel like if it wasn't a part of the base game before, it definitely is now.

It's possible MCCC has improved since you played as well, because even before that update, I had empty houses fill up with households from the unplayed pool. I honestly thought it was part of the base game, but it may have been MCCC that whole time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I couldn't get Father Winter to leave so I had to add him to the family, take him somewhere and then kick him out of the family and leave him on the side of the road like so much unwanted Golden Retriever and then return home. Sometimes this games (many) bugs do entertain.

Then I was back to being irritated Sims randomly decide it's time to practice speech so it evens out.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the cities skyline people and former sims evp rod humble are revealing a sims-like on march 20

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Super No Vacancy posted:

the cities skyline people and former sims evp rod humble are revealing a sims-like on march 20

Paradox stepping into the genre can only be a good thing. They are not a small company, they have real financial heft as a publisher. Which makes me quite optimistic that this won't like most indie game that inevitably fizzle out.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNhV-Gnjdy8
the teaser

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Big fan of that gigantic staircase.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

lol the staircase is wacky. i wonder if that's because the ceiling is super high?

ill check it out if they do simulate a whole city/neighborhood since it does seem to be teasing a seamless world. it will have been 15 years since sims 3 no reason someone cant make a more complex nraas-style sim

it's crazy it's like the sims was never one of the most lucrative franchises of all time and basically no one has tried to jump into the genre

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
It's really funny that Rod Humble sounds like the exact kind of name a Sims character would have

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

It looks like Sims 3.5 both in good and bad. Good as in it's obviously open world and we have such amazing features as cars. Bad as in it looks like somebody's Unity asset store project with ugly lighting and even the teaser is laggy and has framerate issues. I hope Paradox by some miracle manages something that doesn't need a supercomputer to run, since at this stage overly high system requirements are probably the one thing that'd make the game dead on arrival before it even has a chance to actually compete with Sims 5.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I think a big issue with building a Sim-alike is trying to make a life sim that can at least technically run on a toaster and also look decent. TS3 kinda failed that test, as much as I think it was my favorite one overall. Sims fans tend towards the type for whom the Sims is literally the only game on their computer rather than regular PC gamers who have beefy machines.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I wonder if they'll have more attempts at gameplay but that might even add to the system burden.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's funny for Paradox to do it because everyone's biggest complaint with the Sims is "ugh need to get the expansions" and well, that's Paradox' MO for all their games too lol

But still, competition is good!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's funny for Paradox to do it because everyone's biggest complaint with the Sims is "ugh need to get the expansions" and well, that's Paradox' MO for all their games too lol

Yeah this dawned on me while driving today and it knocked down a bit of my enthusiasm pretty sharply lol. But I’m assuming this will have workshop support which owns.

Regarding the system requirements apparently being high, how much of that is going to be a problem for the game’s sales? I don’t think Paradox intends to get a big piece of the pie, especially right out of the starting gate, and I’d assume they wouldn’t need a bunch of market share considering how much smaller they are?

Was also hoping for a return to the TS1 style graphics which are still pretty charming today.

REGARDLESS, looking forward to what happens with this game. Competition is good and I have more faith paradox can make something of this compared to Paralives.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The shot of the person doing yoga on a hill reminds me a lot of the early promo material for Starbound, where the main selling point was "Unlike Terraria, you can just walk up a hill," a feature that Terraria now has.

Granted, not needing to be in a perfectly flat space with six feet of personal bubble to interact is an actual improvement over 3.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

If they do a DLC subscription like they did for eu4 I could care less

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

mutantIke posted:

It's really funny that Rod Humble sounds like the exact kind of name a Sims character would have

There was a Rod Humble insert added in Sims 2's later expansions, who would give every household a free computer with a Sims 3 trailer installed on it. People complained about how annoying it was to get free stuff whenever they were trying to do challenge runs, but I'll take back everything I said about those unwanted gifts if Life By You turns out great. Maybe I'll even learn to mod just so I can replace the Sims 3 trailer with this one.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I think what I want most out of the game or Sims 5 is the game to have challenge by default instead of needing to self impose rules. Sims 4 just feels like they stripped away so much of the friction of the game and makes it too easy.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
They get way too much mom gamer money to want to tune things to be challenging.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Might be great if it manages to bring the paradox modding community into the life sim genre.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

I don't care about challenging, I think that should always be up to you to seek out. What I really want from like sims 2 is the attention to detail. I want my ride to work to pull up in a beater when I start. I want to pull open the drawer and grab the right knife for this specific recipe.yknow hell I want to check the papers and see what ads there are just for today.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Having any sort of challenge is what makes games, including life simulators, interesting. I think the complete lack of it is a big contributor to why Sims 4 becomes pretty dull and repetitive extra fast compared to the previous games. Sims 3 at least compensates for its relative easiness by having a massive amount of content to go through but 4 is incredibly shallow in that regard as well.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

besides home building you can get 90% of the experience of sims 4 gameplay by watching all the animations in blender or whatever

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

cheesetriangles posted:

I think what I want most out of the game or Sims 5 is the game to have challenge by default instead of needing to self impose rules. Sims 4 just feels like they stripped away so much of the friction of the game and makes it too easy.

Agreed. A YouTuber gave me the idea to start sports clubs using Get Together that have the activity as the core, well, activity plus maybe some social stuff and it feels a lot better than just a football or cheerleading rabbit hole.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
The purpose of clubs is to speed run the money challenges with your basement of painting slaves, but I'm glad that niche applications are also being considered.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Guildenstern Mother posted:

The purpose of clubs is to speed run the money challenges with your basement of painting slaves, but I'm glad that niche applications are also being considered.

Also for the CPS speedrun to make a vampire sex club.

https://www.speedrun.com/ts4/run/znk1ojvz

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
oh that's a good challenge idea actually

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Haven't played in a while, and what is with this fear system? My teen got Fear of Unfulfilled Dreams, which felt appropriate, and granny got Fear of Death, also good. Then the teen got Fear of a Dead-End Job from his lawnmowing weekend gig and suddenly everyone else in the household got Unfulfilled Dreams too. I'm not immediately seeing any way to deal with these fears, and it doesn't seem to matter how they proc whether I control them or leave them to sandbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Dareon posted:

Haven't played in a while, and what is with this fear system? My teen got Fear of Unfulfilled Dreams, which felt appropriate, and granny got Fear of Death, also good. Then the teen got Fear of a Dead-End Job from his lawnmowing weekend gig and suddenly everyone else in the household got Unfulfilled Dreams too. I'm not immediately seeing any way to deal with these fears, and it doesn't seem to matter how they proc whether I control them or leave them to sandbox.

To the right of where the Wants pop up, at random points info on how to deal with Fears will pop up too - for Dead End Job you need to regain passion when that popup is active, for Unfulfilled Dreams I think it's "discuss fears after fulfilling wants". The popup doesn't always appear when you need it though. There's also a potion you can buy with aspiration points to get rid of them.