Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

mlmp08 posted:

If you read the report, it describes them being fired into/around Russian held areas while Russia held Izium, not being used to stop an advance. So while it probably harmed Russians, firing them as a general harassment is no good. Not exactly firing mines into the gap to hold off a rushing offense.

Probably a pretty lovely use then and makes the arguments defending them irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Sir John Falstaff posted:

You should really take a look at what HRW is actually reporting: https://www.hrw.org/europe/central-asia/ukraine

It's a long string of stories almost entirely on Russian war crimes, with one recent report critical of Ukraine's use of landmines. This recent report is getting attention just because it's the exception to the rule.

Fair enough. I think I still have a bad taste in my mouth from that idiotic Amnesty International bit of both-sidesism.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Crab Dad posted:

Or nukes on defense.
Or nukes at all?
Why have them if you ain’t gonna use them?
Ooh this war stuff is complicated.

You say this like people should have nukes

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

My Spirit Otter posted:

You say this like people should have nukes

eight billion people, eight billion nukes. last one standing wins the prize

(the prize is acute radiation syndrome)

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Jimmy Smuts posted:

How long does it take for them to rust into being harmless?

I'm pretty harmless already

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Crab Dad posted:

I understand that but what does it matter when you, your family and everyone you knew is relocated and enslaved if not straight out murdered?

Mostly that anti-personnel mines are mostly ineffective in a military use case. They aren't even good at area denial because unlike civilians and animals, infantry is generally alert (questionable) to danger and planned axis of resistance that they might be exposed and watching for mines. They accomplish area delaying at best while substantially increasing long term casualties among noncombatants.

Area denial vehicle mines are far more effective, and are big enough to have easy mechanism for self-deactivation.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Crab Dad posted:

Ooh this war stuff is complicated.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

M_Gargantua posted:

Area denial vehicle mines are far more effective, and are big enough to have easy mechanism for self-deactivation.

Also most children don't weigh 2 tons [citation needed]

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

EasilyConfused posted:

Also most children don't weigh 2 tons [citation needed]

Judging by American grocery stores, the US is hard at work on solving this problem.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
We cannot allow an infant(lb) gap, gentlemen.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

My Spirit Otter posted:

well gently caress, ukraine might as well use chemical weapons if thats how y'all feel

They're in an existential struggle against a fate immeasurably worse than death. I don't give a single moral poo poo what they do, if it manages to be the most effective use of their resources and not kick off WW3. The things that are "banned" are universally both cruel and not particularly great ways to use your resources.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It was Amnesty International that did the ridiculous one-sided reporting without working with the Ukrainians. HRW’s seems fine and in line with trying to prevent civilian casualties while providing the greater context that this is happening because of a rampaging genocidal army.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

My Spirit Otter posted:

well gently caress, ukraine might as well use chemical weapons if thats how y'all feel

Like, the kind that ends with some polonium in a Kremlin samovar?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

did mortabis finally get thread banned from the cold war thread in gip so he has to post here

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

No he just likes to occassionally come up with fox news talking points in multiple places

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Friend, while your on probation, do yourself a favor and buy WARNO. Its better than Wargame was.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Idk much about the poking people with pointy sticks part of war, but imo the one thing 100% of people involved in war should be doing is trying to ensure wars do not punish civilians any more than it already does.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Idk much about the poking people with pointy sticks part of war, but imo the one thing 100% of people involved in war should be doing is trying to ensure wars do not punish civilians any more than it already does.

People keep saying this but the Russians have already declared their goal is genocide. They literally don’t make a line from civilian/combatant.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Yes and?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Crab Dad posted:

People keep saying this but the Russians have already declared their goal is genocide. They literally don’t make a line from civilian/combatant.

So your point is...therefore it's OK for Ukraine to use anti-personnel landmines which, as has been stated, are of somewhat questionable military value but is very likely to cause a great deal of suffering for Ukrainian civilians years down the line?

I mean, even if you assume that the mines are actually very useful and effective, this is some "We must destroy the village in order to save it" reasoning.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I honestly don’t give a gently caress what Ukraine uses to kill more Russians, no.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Icon Of Sin posted:

I honestly don’t give a gently caress what Ukraine uses to kill more Russians, no.

So one of the main problem with anti-personnel land mines is that they don't just kill the enemy army. They sit around and injure or kill civilians. The PFM-1 is supposed to self-destruct after 40 hours but notoriously does not actually work that way, while still being dangerous if stepped on or handled.

When Russians fire anti-personnel mines or set boobytraps, they also claim "oh this is just for the enemy army dudes," but it doesn't take a genius to realize that when they're boobytrapping residential areas, they're indiscriminately putting civilians at risk.

Yeah, a mortar round can miss or have collateral, MG rounds can land in civilian homes, but that sort of weapon isn't designed to lie there dormant in areas where potentially the civilians even outnumber the soldiers, so they end up at great risk of injury.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Icon Of Sin posted:

what if there were ways to kill more russians and destroy more russian vehicles that involve killing significantly fewer civilians

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Icon Of Sin posted:

I mean the thing is, at least run a cost-benefit analysis? Firing a gun randomly into the air in the vague direction of Russia can potentially kill more Russians as well but that doesn't mean it's worth doing. Nuking Kyiv if a single Russian gets within city borders could also kill more Russians, but hardly seems worth it. If landmines MIGHT kill some Russians but will DEFINITELY kill a lot of Ukrainian civilians, that seems like a questionable trade and one wonders if it's worth it.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Russian civilians are supporting the war just by participating in that economy and I wish them all the suffering they've inflicted on Ukraine.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

slurm posted:

Russian civilians are supporting the war just by participating in that economy and I wish them all the suffering they've inflicted on Ukraine.

1: jfc, this is a monstrous take regarding anti-personnel mines
2: Just wait until you find out what which civilians live in Izyum.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

slurm posted:

Pretty sure there's two countries of people that could have said the same of us for the last twenty years.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

slurm posted:

how dare those people buy things in the only place they can buy things

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Crab Dad posted:

This stuff is largely irrelevant in the context of the report, which is the basis of the discussion. I'm going to just say its extremely difficult to generate a positive analysis for indiscriminately dropping mines around your own towns/peoples.

If your basis is "theres Russians nearby, mines ok" I'm going to have to disagree and ask for a more thorough analysis.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

GD_American posted:

Pretty sure there's two countries of people that could have said the same of us for the last twenty years.

Yeah

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

slurm posted:

You're talking like the actions of the Russian government are a reflection on the desires of the Russian people or the latter have any mechanism to constrain the former.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

slurm posted:

Out of interest, have you spent much time near firing artillery?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

slurm posted:

You're a real fascist piece of poo poo spilling opinions like this around

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1621538639485308933

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Tomn posted:

I mean the thing is, at least run a cost-benefit analysis? Firing a gun randomly into the air in the vague direction of Russia can potentially kill more Russians as well but that doesn't mean it's worth doing. Nuking Kyiv if a single Russian gets within city borders could also kill more Russians, but hardly seems worth it. If landmines MIGHT kill some Russians but will DEFINITELY kill a lot of Ukrainian civilians, that seems like a questionable trade and one wonders if it's worth it.

I’d be curious what’s actively being made, bought or supplied vs whatever crap they have left lying around. Yes it’s more effective and safer to build like anything else. However I’m not so sure a weapon should not be used up due to future considerations that can only be taken into account if they “win”.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Crab Dad posted:

I’d be curious what’s actively being made, bought or supplied vs whatever crap they have left lying around. Yes it’s more effective and safer to build like anything else. However I’m not so sure a weapon should not be used up due to future considerations that can only be taken into account if they “win”.

I am. Tossing those mines into civilian populations is way way way way more likely to maim the very civilians they're trying to protect than to have any appreciable impact on Russia. That's not a "future consideration that can only be taken into account if they 'win,'" it's the reality of deploying those mines. Win, lose, or continued stalemate, they're going to blow the extremities off innocent Ukrainians.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

McNally posted:

I am. Tossing those mines into civilian populations is way way way way more likely to maim the very civilians they're trying to protect than to have any appreciable impact on Russia. That's not a "future consideration that can only be taken into account if they 'win,'" it's the reality of deploying those mines. Win, lose, or continued stalemate, they're going to blow the extremities off innocent Ukrainians.

Lose there will be no Ukrainians. This has been made very clear by Russia.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Crab Dad posted:

Maim enough of your own population, you have no Ukraine.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Crab Dad posted:

And blowing off your population's legs for no discernable military gain does what, exactly, to preserve Ukraine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Crab Dad posted:

This is a "we had to destroy the village to save it" argument. I have no actual analysis for it and no idea what choice I would make.