Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

That was a productive month of ESO+. My last woodworker trait finished researching and my last jewelry one just started, all that's left is a couple traits on light armor, heavy armor and a few weapons. Just need to finish High Isle for the last Hunding tribute piece and then beat the rest of the founders for the sea elf deck. Cleared a bunch of DLC dungeons so those are done going forward. Got a ton of yellow upgrade mats from the dailies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

super sweet best pal posted:

That was a productive month of ESO+. My last woodworker trait finished researching and my last jewelry one just started, all that's left is a couple traits on light armor, heavy armor and a few weapons. Just need to finish High Isle for the last Hunding tribute piece and then beat the rest of the founders for the sea elf deck. Cleared a bunch of DLC dungeons so those are done going forward. Got a ton of yellow upgrade mats from the dailies.

Nice, congrats! I just finished my last trait a few days ago on my crafter, between that and having all my characters' riding trained up it's very nice to not have any more time-locked factors other than dailies.

I will admit I was a little disappointed that having all the traits isn't an achievement itself though. It took a solid year, at least give me a stupid memento or something. It's gonna take me a while to piece together 50 full motifs for the Grand Master Crafter achievement, I only have 35 so far.

Whoever said you should never grind this game, I wanna hear more about what your definition of "grind" is because fishing all those motif bits out of dailies and chests is a pain in the butt and even if I buy them all from others they still had to do it to sell them, right?

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]
On the one hand, I really need to do better planning my trait research and daily crafting writs. On the other hand, I've never actually felt the need to craft anything.

I like traveling to a new area, scouting out the sets that drop and farming a set as part of my, like, intro to the place.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

PatentPending posted:

On the other hand, I've never actually felt the need to craft anything.

That's funny, I had exactly the opposite reaction to this game, I saw an elaborate giant crafting system and just tied on a lobster bib and started digging in.

Meanwhile in a year and a half I have yet to finish the main story or even set foot into Cyrodil once. Some jerk from the fighter's guild keeps running after me with an "important mission for you comrade" but I am too busy sewing buttons on, thank you.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

That's funny, I had exactly the opposite reaction to this game, I saw an elaborate giant crafting system and just tied on a lobster bib and started digging in.

Meanwhile in a year and a half I have yet to finish the main story or even set foot into Cyrodil once. Some jerk from the fighter's guild keeps running after me with an "important mission for you comrade" but I am too busy sewing buttons on, thank you.

Do you know how long she’s been looking for you?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I will admit I was a little disappointed that having all the traits isn't an achievement itself though. It took a solid year, at least give me a stupid memento or something. It's gonna take me a while to piece together 50 full motifs for the Grand Master Crafter achievement, I only have 35 so far.
Read suggestion at your peril make 2 alts, give them each a set of the blue motif books, done. Thanks account wide achievements.

Whoever said you should never grind this game, I wanna hear more about what your definition of "grind" is because fishing all those motif bits out of dailies and chests is a pain in the butt and even if I buy them all from others they still had to do it to sell them, right?
The idea is that the sellers mostly didn't grind them but got them as a side effect of doing something they wanted to. One person's trash is another's treasure kinda thing. Not sure I agree, especially for the expensive motifs, but I think that's the theoretical idea.

Dastardly Dog
Jan 18, 2023

If you're on PC, there is at least one addon available which makes the daily crafting quests basically effortless money printers: Dolgubon's Lazy Writ Crafter. If you're not on PC, though, I can only imagine immense pain.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

It was me.

I meant grind as in killing mobs for XP. It's soul crushing and completely unnecessary. Unless mindless running in circles, tagging mobs and then killing them with AOE over and over again for hours is your jam, then knock yourself out.

But, if I were to expand the grind definition, it is a fair statement to say that unless you are driven to complete something RIGHT THIS MINUTE, then grinding anything is also unnecessary. Try to tame your FOMO, because aside from logging in and hitting that daily reward collection, there's nothing you can't do or get later. Even the limited time deals in the store will come back eventually.

Muhmorpuguhs and gonna muhmorpug.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

^All excellent suggestions, thank you. I do use Dolgubon's but I had not thought of Peaceful Anarchy's solution, that's so easy I can now see why people hated that change.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

You're fine. This game makes dlc entitlements a tad bit overly complex because, unlike other MMOs where you get access to LatestContent™ plus everything prior, ESO keeps everything parceled out without a built-in progression path from DLC to DLC.

I do prefer ESO's way of doing things but it sure is very different.

Orv
May 4, 2011
If I were to finally give in to doing writs on more than one character is there anything I should know about crafting skill levels that I should keep low, middling or high because of what the writs can potentially spit out? I think jewelry crafting in particular I want at 5 for better chromium chances? Anything else to be aware of?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Orv posted:

If I were to finally give in to doing writs on more than one character is there anything I should know about crafting skill levels that I should keep low, middling or high because of what the writs can potentially spit out? I think jewelry crafting in particular I want at 5 for better chromium chances? Anything else to be aware of?
You want everything max level if you can, max level better rewards, also fewer mats to deal with. You especially want provisioning at max because all the intermediate recipes suck and are alliance based, while at max level you have the same three drinks and foods for all characters and can keep 6 nice stacks in the bank and be done.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I was afraid you'd say that. Thanks.

:sigh:

Orv fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 1, 2023

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Orv posted:

I was afraid you'd say that. Thanks.

:sigh:
Decon 5 glyphs and you're fine. Also enchanting is the one where it matters least in terms of mat rewards, but the master writs are nice.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
I decided to try this game again after a 5 year hiatus, and the tutorial has been changed. I recall it was about escaping from Cold Harbor and you backstory was your soul had been stolen by Molag Bal and that also made you special somehow.

Did they change the narrative?

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I decided to try this game again after a 5 year hiatus, and the tutorial has been changed. I recall it was about escaping from Cold Harbor and you backstory was your soul had been stolen by Molag Bal and that also made you special somehow.

that mission and whole quest line still exist. you’ll get it pretty much right after getting off your first boat to a capital city—a message about meeting a mysterious benefactor.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

As they've started releasing chapters, each chapter has its own parallel narrative and the new tutorial is meant to let people start with any of the stories. As mover said, that is still the game and you can go there immediately after this tutorial (though the game is kinda bad at guiding you to it).

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

It’s kinda funny—some content has everyone addressing you as the legendary Soul Shriven and other storylines they’re just like ? who is this random mercenary and why are they up in my business

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mover posted:

It’s kinda funny—some content has everyone addressing you as the legendary Soul Shriven and other storylines they’re just like ? who is this random mercenary and why are they up in my business

Sometimes in the same storyline even! It's pretty funny.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Mover posted:

Wibbly wobbly timey wimey

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
ESO for me feels like the main character is an idiot the way he repeats everything.

NPC "I need you to find the argent key and unlock the tomb"

MC "You want me to find the argent key and unlock the tomb?"

NPC "Yes, it's an important location for our ceremony"

MC "Can you explain what's going on again?"

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Well, the main character is an MMO player....

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Hector Delgado posted:

ESO for me feels like the main character is an idiot the way he repeats everything.

I like reading it as the main character being very sarcastic and/or annoyed with all the requests.

edit: One of the fun thing about being so overpowered is when you waltz into a town and someone needs you to rescue their sheep from a bandit but they're worried you'll be killed and it's like bitch I have been to planes of existence you've never even heard of and fought gods. I can get your dumb sheep back.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I like when you have an option to skip a quest step by buying the item from an npc, and it's like [Really spend 69 gold!?!]

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Hector Delgado posted:

… but why male models?

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Doctor Zero posted:

… but why male models?

Someone should make an Argonian named Earth-to-Meekus.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

Try to tame your FOMO, because aside from logging in and hitting that daily reward collection, there's nothing you can't do or get later.

This is all I have done in like a couple of years I think, and still manage to get most all of the way through each month. I haven't even put talents in since they reset them however many expansions ago that was. I guess I do it just because I figure I will start playing again someday and it's that much more gold/food/potions/giveaways/etc I will have waiting for me. I usually just go do some couple minute task around the house I was going to do anyways while it loads since loading time for ESO is pretty slow on my computer. However...

PatentPending posted:

On the one hand, I really need to do better planning my trait research and daily crafting writs. On the other hand, I've never actually felt the need to craft anything.

I've never subbed, so never had the crafting bag, and I figure I would miss it if I got it but won't if I never do. Ignoring crafting entirely I don't really have any big inventory problems, other than the piles of crap that has built up from logging in most every day and logging out for so long and using none of it. Sorting all that out will probably be a pain if/when I start playing in earnest again.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Twenty Four posted:

This is all I have done in like a couple of years I think, and still manage to get most all of the way through each month. I haven't even put talents in since they reset them however many expansions ago that was. I guess I do it just because I figure I will start playing again someday and it's that much more gold/food/potions/giveaways/etc I will have waiting for me. I usually just go do some couple minute task around the house I was going to do anyways while it loads since loading time for ESO is pretty slow on my computer. However...

I've never subbed, so never had the crafting bag, and I figure I would miss it if I got it but won't if I never do. Ignoring crafting entirely I don't really have any big inventory problems, other than the piles of crap that has built up from logging in most every day and logging out for so long and using none of it. Sorting all that out will probably be a pain if/when I start playing in earnest again.

The thought of your inventory after year(s) of doing that makes me shudder.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Orv posted:

The thought of your inventory after year(s) of doing that makes me shudder.

It's contained to one of my three characters, which happens to be what I would consider my "main", which might be the bigger mistake. It's mostly just a bunch of stacks of the tri-restoration(?) potions, stacks of the fortifying meals that look like a roast chicken or whatever, and a bunch of XP scrolls.

Most of the rest of the stuff is currency that just disappears into its respective location (like those pvp points and stone things I have never used and don't know what they are even for), or the giveaways that get uploaded into whatever collection they belong to instantly, and probably forgotten about at least for now, so it's probably not as big of a mess as it sounds, just a lot of volume.

Oh, and I think there's some instant research stuff that I used to just delete because I don't bother with crafting and selling stuff to other people in ESO is a pain, I'm sure that will make someone's brain hurt, I think they are slowly piling up now too. I'm sure there's some other miscellaneous stuff, like the occasional armor set or whatever, but that's the majority of it.

It's a lot of stacks though, lol.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Alright yeah that's fair.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Twenty Four posted:

Oh, and I think there's some instant research stuff that I used to just delete because I don't bother with crafting and selling stuff to other people in ESO is a pain, I'm sure that will make someone's brain hurt, I think they are slowly piling up now too. I'm sure there's some other miscellaneous stuff, like the occasional armor set or whatever, but that's the majority of it.
The transmute/reconstruct system makes research important even if you don't want to craft otherwise.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Twenty Four posted:

It's contained to one of my three characters, which happens to be what I would consider my "main", which might be the bigger mistake. It's mostly just a bunch of stacks of the tri-restoration(?) potions, stacks of the fortifying meals that look like a roast chicken or whatever, and a bunch of XP scrolls.

Most of the rest of the stuff is currency that just disappears into its respective location (like those pvp points and stone things I have never used and don't know what they are even for), or the giveaways that get uploaded into whatever collection they belong to instantly, and probably forgotten about at least for now, so it's probably not as big of a mess as it sounds, just a lot of volume.

It's a lot of stacks though, lol.

If I were you I’d sub for a month, let all the crafting mats get sucked into your component bag and then cancel. You will probably spend more than $15 of your time organizing if not.

Oh and even if you ditch crafting mats, keep the gold poo poo. They sell nicely for decent $

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The transmute/reconstruct system makes research important even if you don't want to craft otherwise.

For what, exactly? I think I mostly have "good enough" gear, maybe not optimal, but a couple of monster set items and a couple other decent respectable sets on each of the characters I would likely play again if I started back up. Not being a jerk here, honest question, you always seem to know your stuff in this thread!

Doctor Zero posted:

If I were you I’d sub for a month, let all the crafting mats get sucked into your component bag and then cancel. You will probably spend more than $15 of your time organizing if not.

Oh and even if you ditch crafting mats, keep the gold poo poo. They sell nicely for decent $

Yeah like I said before above, I know I would appreciate it and then want to keep it, and not being able to put stuff in it while un-subbed would probably bother me more than just not having it. Sort of like the "first hit is free" thing with the crafting bag, that's how they get ya, and I'm pretty poor IRL right now. It doesn't really bother me, not missing what you never had and all, especially since I haven't really "played" in quite a while. It's all just taking up data on a server somewhere right now, which doesn't bother me for now.

I really dislike managing and using addons and mods typically, and I know there are some to help with selling stuff, but a universal auction house would go a long way for selling stuff for me. As it stands the few million or so gold I have is more than enough for repairs and stuff, and I don't have anything in mind to buy specifically, so gold hasn't been a big problem for me either in the past. The numbers always seem to slowly go up, so at bare minimum I guess that's good enough. I probably straight up vendor more stuff than I should if I were really concerned when I was active, but I suppose I just had an "I'm fine who cares" attitude since I mostly started playing for a couple years to play with a friend, who doesn't really play anymore afaik.

Maybe I'll dump some of that stuff in the guild bank if that's possible if I remember sometime in the future and actually bother with more than "log in, click the reward, log out" which is all I have done in a long time.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Twenty Four posted:

For what, exactly? I think I mostly have "good enough" gear, maybe not optimal, but a couple of monster set items and a couple other decent respectable sets on each of the characters I would likely play again if I started back up. Not being a jerk here, honest question, you always seem to know your stuff in this thread!
Traits. Any found gear gets bound to your stickerbook and you can reconstruct with transmutes, but only with traits you have researched. I guess it's not a huge deal since the first research is 6 hours and the second is 12, and the third is 24, so if you just make sure to research divines for body and infused/charged for weapons you're good for 95%+ of cases. If you're happy with your gear it's probably still fine even if not optimal, but if you do decide to come back you may appreciate those scrolls. They stack too, so not much point in deleting them.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Traits. Any found gear gets bound to your stickerbook and you can reconstruct with transmutes, but only with traits you have researched. I guess it's not a huge deal since the first research is 6 hours and the second is 12, and the third is 24, so if you just make sure to research divines for body and infused/charged for weapons you're good for 95%+ of cases. If you're happy with your gear it's probably still fine even if not optimal, but if you do decide to come back you may appreciate those scrolls. They stack too, so not much point in deleting them.

Cool, thanks, hopefully I will remember if I get around to it sometime!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Yeah, researching just for divines and infused is cheap and fast and worth it

A full set of divines on your character will make you feel the difference

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura
Not sure if any of you are still in the deconstruction guild as well (I never was) but if you are, feel free to move any of that intricate gear over or use it to level up and alt or whatever. I will keep putting it in the main goon bank when there is room but if it's full I just end up deconstructing it myself for the mats which seems like a waste. Also I have a ton of motifs and plans to start dumping in there at some stage..

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

DoriDori240 posted:

Not sure if any of you are still in the deconstruction guild as well (I never was) but if you are, feel free to move any of that intricate gear over or use it to level up and alt or whatever. I will keep putting it in the main goon bank when there is room but if it's full I just end up deconstructing it myself for the mats which seems like a waste. Also I have a ton of motifs and plans to start dumping in there at some stage..

If I see the main Goon guild bank getting full I transfer intricate gear over to the crafting guild (Deconstruction Circlejerk). Unfortunately the Goons who had guild invite privileges or could promote others to be able to invite no longer play so new players have no way of accessing the crafting guild.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

MH Knights posted:

If I see the main Goon guild bank getting full I transfer intricate gear over to the crafting guild (Deconstruction Circlejerk). Unfortunately the Goons who had guild invite privileges or could promote others to be able to invite no longer play so new players have no way of accessing the crafting guild.
I thought everyone had invite privilege in the decon guild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Doing Blackwood and this is a much nicer Sanctuary than that stupid cave.

E: I love when people in this game get hellowned, like the dude in Coral Aerie who gets Sonic'd by the yarguln or whatever they're called. The guy getting owned by Dagon's fist in the penultimate mission of Blackwood had me laughing for a good while.

Orv fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Feb 7, 2023