Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

I will push back a little in that China recently ended all restrictions due to domestic political fallout - I'm not saying that racism hasn't been a motivator, but I can also understand practising caution given that the rolling lockdowns in China was loving their economic situation, and if there's one thing the EU as a whole will not tolerate, it's messing with the money.

I guess my overall point is I think they're looking at the money, not the racism, even if they absolutely would (and likely will) grab the latter as this continues.

In addition, China itself used to (?) require mandatory Covid-tests for people entering the country and a required hotel quarantaine of 10-14 days. So for China to now claim this is racism is a bit rich, especially because their policy helped create a spike in anti-foreigner sentiments in the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's absolutely racism lol

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

i say swears online posted:

it's absolutely racism lol

Well deep down it's always racism with Europe. But this round of covid is a bastard - I'd know, I caught it.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Tesseraction posted:

Well deep down it's always racism with Europe. But this round of covid is a bastard - I'd know, I caught it.

Might want to ask a negative test for all incoming travelers, then. Also bring back mask mandates.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 5, 2023

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
there's already a december wave of excess mortality, not just from covid but the flu, rsv etc. it just gets grouped into "covid". no one's been told to change any of their habits much beyond getting their kids vaccinated, which few have ended up doing

the contrast between the collective shrug at this and the people coming from china are definitely a bad look. a stronger former would have made the latter reaction look a lot less bad

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

A Buttery Pastry posted:

There is no point in continuing this discussion if you're not going to actually attempt to understand my posts.

I accept your gracious admittance of defeat.

More helpfully/less sarcastically, I'd really recommend you purchasing and reading this to give you a better understanding of the fundamentals of electoral politics:

https://academic.oup.com/book/26299

Its well written so easy to read, and its a first year introductory book so not too in-depth or complicated. It would give you a decent grounding in the subject so that you wouldn't keep making fairly rudimentary factually inaccurate claims - that right wing parties don't do well with high voter turnout, that the communists were the only party to the left of Nazis in Germany etc.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Blut posted:

More helpfully/less sarcastically, I'd really recommend you purchasing and reading this to give you a better understanding of the fundamentals of electoral politics:

Its well written so easy to read, and its a first year introductory book so not too in-depth or complicated. It would give you a decent grounding in the subject so that you wouldn't keep making fairly rudimentary factually inaccurate claims - that right wing parties don't do well with high voter turnout, that the communists were the only party to the left of Nazis in Germany etc.

perhaps when people keep telling you that you're misreading basic points in favour of projecting ridiculous opinions on them, they may be telling the truth

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

perhaps when people keep telling you that you're misreading basic points in favour of projecting ridiculous opinions on them, they may be telling the truth

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Looking at voter turnout in Europe, it appears to have dropped from 85% in the '60s to 65% in the '10s. This does have the effect of pushing the electorate rightward, as the rightward shift of the parties on offer demoralizes left-leaning people more, but the cause and effect are reversed.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If this is the standard we're going with, the Nazis were center-right, having captured all but the communist part of the population.

:v:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

right, and if you try to interrogate why the poster is making such facially outrageous statements you might be able to have something approaching a conversation

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

right, and if you try to interrogate why the poster is making such facially outrageous statements you might be able to have something approaching a conversation

They're not "facially outrageous", they're just plain factually incorrect.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
So I'm listening to 'Adults in the Room' by Yannis Varoufakis, and wow Wolfgang Schauble is genuine grade A evil to the core, I genuinely hope he's experiencing the very worst senility has to offer. And that little poo poo worm Jeroen Dijsselbloem, Europe was destined to fail with these people in control. it DESERVES to fail with these insane people in control.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 11, 2023

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Blut posted:

Why the gently caress would you recomended this and not Lijphart?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

I genuinely hope he's experiencing the very worst senility has to offer.

We go live now to a video feed of the fictional timeline where justice is served

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

So I'm listening to 'Adults in the Room' by Yannis Varoufakis, and wow Wolfgang Schauble is genuine grade A evil to the core, I genuinely hope he's experiencing the very worst senility has to offer. And that little poo poo worm Jeroen Dijsselbloem, Europe was destined to fail with these people in control. it DESERVES to fail with these insane people in control.

My theory is that Wolfi quietly and deeply went off the rails when he survived his assassination attempt, and turned from just a basic corrupt politician into a Batman villain.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Why the gently caress would you recomended this and not Lijphart?

Gallagher's writing is more lay accessible (which is a pretty big priority for a poster of that apparent knowledge level) while being just as academically sound for introductory study.

Plus I had Gallagher as an undergrad lecturer and liked my dealings with him on a personal level so eh some (sub)conscious loyalty I guess.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Blut posted:

Gallagher's writing is more lay accessible (which is a pretty big priority for a poster of that apparent knowledge level) while being just as academically sound for introductory study.

Plus I had Gallagher as an undergrad lecturer and liked my dealings with him on a personal level so eh some (sub)conscious loyalty I guess.

Christ, you're inseffurable, and also wrong.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Looks like LKAB found a very large deposits of rare earth minerals in northern Sweden, says it's a gigantic find. Good news for Sweden as usual. And good news for EU wanting becoming more self-reliant in rare earths.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64253708

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Looking forward to Juan Guaido being declared interim president of Sweden.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
They just moved the centre of Kiruna, now they will have to pack up again :mad:

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jan 13, 2023

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Why doesn't Euro have €1 and €2 bills, like dollar has? The 5€ bill is the smallest and a bunch of everyday stuff costs less. 5€ is 38 kn and we had 10 kn and 20 kn bills which served the purpose well. Now I have a choice of either paying every small expense by card (not always possible), or carrying around a pouch of coins. It actually feels like a step back -- now that we've joined the European future etc, my wallet is bursting at the seams and my pockets are full of coins.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Doctor Malaver posted:

Why doesn't Euro have €1 and €2 bills, like dollar has? The 5€ bill is the smallest and a bunch of everyday stuff costs less. 5€ is 38 kn and we had 10 kn and 20 kn bills which served the purpose well. Now I have a choice of either paying every small expense by card (not always possible), or carrying around a pouch of coins. It actually feels like a step back -- now that we've joined the European future etc, my wallet is bursting at the seams and my pockets are full of coins.

Commemorative / country-specific coins are cooler if they aren't worthless. I had an American friend who lived in Belgium for a while and she instinctively just threw coins onto the sidewalk (already a :psyduck: American 'habit' that she insisted was real, but what do I know) until she realized she's throwing out tens of euros every week

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Doctor Malaver posted:

It's to annoy everyone enough that you go cashless.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It's probably because Deutsche Mark also had 1 and 2 Mark coins.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's to annoy everyone enough that you go cashless.

This is probably true, I would've used cash a lot more if we had 1 and 2 euro bills. Can't stand coins.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Doctor Malaver posted:

Germany had 5DM coins before the Euro. There should have been a 2.5€ coin or even a 5€ if you want to think ahead inflationproof.
Anyways, the 5DM coin bought a pack of cigarettes at a vending machine. Vending machines accepting bills is still rare in Germany, and afaik the rest of the EU too, we skipped directly from coins to cashless.

I do think that that is at least half the reason.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Doctor Malaver posted:

now that we've joined the European future etc, my wallet is bursting at the seams and my pockets are full of coins.

Now you can feel rich without Germany having to give up the money to actually make you rich.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Deltasquid posted:

Commemorative / country-specific coins are cooler if they aren't worthless. I had an American friend who lived in Belgium for a while and she instinctively just threw coins onto the sidewalk (already a :psyduck: American 'habit' that she insisted was real, but what do I know) until she realized she's throwing out tens of euros every week

Sorry but your American friend made that up to disguise her madness

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Deltasquid posted:

what on earth lol

maybe that person is just dumb as poo poo

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Doctor Malaver posted:

If I remember correctly the coins were designed with low end products in mind, like the ones carried in vending machines, while bills were for bigger items carried in shops (This is what i remember from school and tv at the time but since it was more than twenty years ago i could be mistaken). The single digit cent coins and the 500€ bill were an example of thinking too much about every possible use case.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
I understand the cashless trend and in 2023 it's nearly achievable. But in 2002 I don't think they had that in mind, and there were no €1 and €2 bills then either...

SlowBloke posted:

If I remember correctly the coins were designed with low end products in mind, like the ones carried in vending machines, while bills were for bigger items carried in shops (This is what i remember from school and tv at the time but since it was more than twenty years ago i could be mistaken). The single digit cent coins and the 500€ bill were an example of thinking too much about every possible use case.

You usually do small purchases more times a week than large purchases, so it would make sense to make the more frequent purchases easier.

I'm sure I'll get used to this so maybe I'm all worked up over nothing, but the stores here still refuse €50 and larger bills. So for practical purposes my new currency offers only three bills: 5, 10, and 20, and a billion different coins. That's inadequate. They had decades to get it right!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Forget about COVID

Are we about to see Spanish Flu: Electric Boogaloo?

https://twitter.com/zeynep/status/1621565175416426498

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Deltasquid posted:

where does she live in america so I can go get the thousands in quarters all over her sidewalk

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Doctor Malaver posted:

I'm sure I'll get used to this so maybe I'm all worked up over nothing, but the stores here still refuse €50 and larger bills. So for practical purposes my new currency offers only three bills: 5, 10, and 20, and a billion different coins. That's inadequate. They had decades to get it right!
The problem here sounds to me to be your shops.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I once had a 500 eur bill it was cool, until I needed to actually spend the money and deposited it on an atm, never had one again :(

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Oh god not minks again

:denmark:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Doctor Malaver posted:

I understand the cashless trend and in 2023 it's nearly achievable. But in 2002 I don't think they had that in mind, and there were no €1 and €2 bills then either...

You usually do small purchases more times a week than large purchases, so it would make sense to make the more frequent purchases easier.

Carrying like a couple dozen low-denomination Euro bills sounds like it'd be more of a hassle than having a small amount of 5 or 10 euro bills and the rest in coins. What's the fear, that a store will refuse your 3.5 Euro purchase with a 5 Euro bill because they don't have change? I'd say that's absurd... but then I'd say the same about stores refusing 50 euro bills. That's stupid.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Doctor Malaver posted:

It should be illegal to refuse government issued currency

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Rust Martialis posted:

Oh god not minks again

:denmark:
First domino in the Danish Civil War.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Coins are good. Plus without them we might not have had this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

It should be illegal to refuse government issued currency
Things are a bit more nuanced than that, stores are allowed to refuse bills of large denominations since they come with an increased risk of forgery, theft and accidental loss.

That is to say, pay your daily shopping with a contactless debit card like a normal person.