Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

https://twitter.com/alex_kolstee/status/1621734904257028096
never giving understaffed rail workers time off or sick days will surely never result in problems

USA has so many place names that immediately throw you off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/MFF2pRh.mp4

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

https://twitter.com/alex_kolstee/status/1621734904257028096
never giving understaffed rail workers time off or sick days will surely never result in problems

Israel will pay for these crimes :argh:

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Crossposting this from the epilepsy thread:

This might be a long shot, but the forums do tend to harbor the most fascinating of subject experts:

Does anyone know who I should contact in order to discuss the epilepsy triggering effects of modern emergency vehicle lights?
I'm going with the assumption that this is something that I should discuss with the manufacturer of the vehicle parts instead of the emergency services that use the vehicles.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

SerthVarnee posted:

This might be a long shot, but the forums do tend to harbor the most fascinating of subject experts:

Does anyone know who I should contact in order to discuss the epilepsy triggering effects of modern emergency vehicle lights?
I'm going with the assumption that this is something that I should discuss with the manufacturer of the vehicle parts instead of the emergency services that use the vehicles.

I mean, yes, the manufacturers. But in practical sense they won't do anything about it. They already know there's a chance they can trigger that sort of thing, but it's a tradeoff they're willing to make to ensure the lights are as noticeable as possible to the general population.

No point in talking to the emergency services on any level. The vehicles they purchase are generally a finished package, no one but the manufacturer generally decides on what sort of lights will be on said vehicle.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
US-centric answer. Emergency lightning is a state thing, brightness, frequency, allowed colors for different categories of vehicles, etc. Found Pennsylvania’s here, look for ‘flash rate’ https://www.pacodeandbulletin.gov/Display/pacode?file=/secure/pacode/data/067/chapter173/chap173toc.html.

I know that 10-20Hz is generally a no-no for these, and I’m vaguely aware of studies that show a maximum effective luminance but I’m not aware of any model or federal regs. The FTA probably has something, someplace for guidelines.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I mean there's a reason grenadiers who remained alive were considered a relatively elite force

Dubious flintlock launchers aside, they were like the biggest dudes so they could throw the grenades the furthest and act as a front line assault force.

It's unclear to me why they wore big fur hats but I'm assuming that enemies were intimidated by the balls it took to wear a big target on your head that prevented you from hiding.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

SerthVarnee posted:

Where's the thread?

Not related to that as such, but I hate modern headlights because they blow my eyes out and I think I'm getting a migraine (fortunately, they don't seem to trigger one though).

Also people can't loving drive and have their high beams on at completely stupid and unnecessary times.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Where's the thread?

Not related to that as such, but I hate modern headlights because they blow my eyes out and I think I'm getting a migraine (fortunately, they don't seem to trigger one though).

Also people can't loving drive and have their high beams on at completely stupid and unnecessary times.

Here you go:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3987999

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I mean, yes, the manufacturers. But in practical sense they won't do anything about it. They already know there's a chance they can trigger that sort of thing, but it's a tradeoff they're willing to make to ensure the lights are as noticeable as possible to the general population.

No point in talking to the emergency services on any level. The vehicles they purchase are generally a finished package, no one but the manufacturer generally decides on what sort of lights will be on said vehicle.

It certainly is noticeable, I'll give them that. The problem for me is that it has started creep out into general construction vehicles as well, with their yellow warning lights blinking at alternating intervals and in seemingly random order. I see the point of making sure it doesn't get turned into just another background noise thing, but at the moment, I become severely impaired when trying to just walk past a road maintenance vehicle, a snow plow, an emergency vehicle, various digging machinery or bulldozer type vehicles.

If it was just the emergency vehicles passing by, that would be one thing. But apparently it is something akin to standard procedure to NOT turn off the blinking lights on the a police vehicle while they have someone pulled over for serious business or whatever they do to stopped cars.
Last time I had the misfortune of coming across such an event, they had parked right outside the shop I was heading into, and I was forced to slink around looking mighty suspect while I desperately tried to keep my field of vision from including the parking lot, the walls of all the buildings surrounding the parking lot and especially the police car itself.

Fortunately they were quite busy with the driver of the car they had stopped, but I did not feel safe in oh so many ways because of that blinking light.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Where's the thread?

love it when I flash my high beams at someone coming toward me with painfully bright headlights assuming that they've got their high beams on only to have them ACTUALLY turn on their high beams and it's a flash so bright it instantly reduces me to a shadow burned into my seat

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

almost as painful as seeing my posts

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

hailthefish posted:

love it when I flash my high beams at someone coming toward me with painfully bright headlights assuming that they've got their high beams on only to have them ACTUALLY turn on their high beams and it's a flash so bright it instantly reduces me to a shadow burned into my seat

It's even better when you are walking on a pedestrian path that is situated about 1½ meters lower than the road itself due to the quirks of the local terrain. So walking around at dusk, you have cars coming around a gentle bend in the road with their headlights placed squarely in head height. This is of course next to a nursing home and a school + playground, so speed limit is, I think, 40km/h if not 30km/h. So you got plenty of time to appreciate the fancy high power light bars that people around here like to put where their front facing license plate would normally sit.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

SerthVarnee posted:

It's even better when you are walking on a pedestrian path that is situated about 1½ meters lower than the road itself due to the quirks of the local terrain. So walking around at dusk, you have cars coming around a gentle bend in the road with their headlights placed squarely in head height. This is of course next to a nursing home and a school + playground, so speed limit is, I think, 40km/h if not 30km/h. So you got plenty of time to appreciate the fancy high power light bars that people around here like to put where their front facing license plate would normally sit.

Yeah I see this a lot. Driving between two streetlights in the dusk? Better put the high beams on!

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Where's the thread?

I've definitely had flashing lights trigger migraines (low refresh rate on a monitor and strobing lights in a video game I was playing both triggered a migraine). Also once had a truck come up behind me with strobing headlights, thankfully it was daytime but I was very confused on how the gently caress that could happen.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

SerthVarnee posted:

Whelen is the 900lb gorilla in that market, start with them. The state standards are mostly adopted from NFPA 1900 which sets requirements for fire trucks that'll probably be the closest thing to a controlling body you find. A lot of the reqs for those trickle down into the police / tow truck lightbars because because why have build multiple controller SKUs when you don't have to?

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 4, 2023

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

shame on an IGA posted:

Whelen is the 900lb gorilla in that market, start with them

Thanks! I'll see if I can get a dialogue going with them. Is that worldwide or specific region market? I'm in Sweden, so my frames of reference are locked to Scandinavian markets.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

SerthVarnee posted:

Thanks! I'll see if I can get a dialogue going with them. Is that worldwide or specific region market? I'm in Sweden, so my frames of reference are locked to Scandinavian markets.

What sort of action are you wanting them to take?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/ohshidt/status/1621719287386841088?s=20&t=nF75RQm0yIKIV4sWTudjiQ

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

SerthVarnee posted:

Everything I posted is US centric, also scroll up I added info about our weak standards body

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Looks like there are two controlling european standards that are spottily adopted across the continent but fully implemented in Sweeden, CEN 1789:2020 and ECE R65

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Atticus_1354 posted:

What sort of action are you wanting them to take?

Would be nice to talk with them about limiting the rapidity of the blinks so their vehicles don't cause more harm than the good they are trying to do.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

SerthVarnee posted:

Ideally there should be a pattern that is noticeable and doesn't trigger epilepsy.

But I'm curious what effect you wearing sunglasses would have, even just very light tint. Or perhaps the polarizing glasses fisherman use to see thru water better.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
The shades might be able to reduce the impact, but they'd be useless in the evening or night and it is not so much the brightness as it is the on/off/on/off status updates that messes with my head.
And yeah I'm hoping for a change to safer patterns since that would be the easiest solution for the manufacturers as well.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Some school buses now have a flashing strobe on top of them that for my sister triggers vertigo and migraines. She has to pull over or turn down a different street to get away from them.

Just another case of society failing to think about or accommodate for disabilities.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Sagebrush posted:

Just another case of society failing to think about or accommodate for disabilities.

Is there some light pattern that would work around everybody or is someone always going to get hosed?

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I mean the vast majority of my life has been quite fine with for instance the rotating lights on old style emergency vehicles. It's once you start introducing LED lights that can handle the rapid flickering that people have gotten just a bit too innovative.
Just turning them on and off every second instead of 5 times per second would do a massive difference.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I've seen you post this same epilepsy questions in several threads, and those are just in the threads I have bookmarked.

I'm glad you are taking up the mantle of this cause, and it sounds like it's an important thing that is especially important to you. As you embark on this, though, please remember that while your perspective is important and valid, it is only one important and valid perspective. Like, don't forget that another important perspective is that the purpose of an ambulance is to get a dying patient to the hospital as quickly as possible.

Maybe whoever decides the strobing pattern of the lights doesn't know about the epilepsy issue, and it's good for them to also have that in mind when making their decision. But be prepared for the epilepsy issue to not be the only driving factor in their decision, if that makes sense.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Oh I'm honestly fine with the ambulance, and can deal well enough with the fire engines.
The police vehicles rendering the entire main retail street inaccessible to me while they spend 20 minutes talking to a guy they stopped for whatever reason? Kinda frustrating.
The road construction crews leaving a trailer with asphalt (with blinkers going all over the place) while they are off to lunch? That's a bit much.
Snow plow coming through and throwing reflections all over the place? I don't want to get in the way of that, but 10 minutes later I have no recollection of how I got from point A to point B, so that doesn't seem like a safe environment to be in.
Besides, you never know what you can get from just asking politely and keeping the focus on making everyone safer, not just myself.

SerthVarnee fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 4, 2023

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

It's unclear to me why they wore big fur hats but I'm assuming that enemies were intimidated by the balls it took to wear a big target on your head that prevented you from hiding.

because grenadiers were usually the biggest, strongest dudes they could find, the big hats made them look taller and more intimidating

remember that a napoleonic battlefield was a noisy, smoky, chaotic place and due to the black powder used at the time it was hard to keep appreciable long range accuracy in any firearms due to combustion byproducts of powder fouling and clogging up gun barrels. so it wasn't necessarily a liability to wear a brightly colored uniform and a giant bearskin hat, yeah this makes you easier to see and shoot, but it also makes you easier to see for the other side to be like "gently caress look how big that dude is". you were just as likely to die due to something hitting you that wasn't aimed at you at all compared to something that was aimed at you, so might as well die looking good

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

Whelen is the 900lb gorilla in that market, start with them. The state standards are mostly adopted from NFPA 1900 which sets requirements for fire trucks that'll probably be the closest thing to a controlling body you find. A lot of the reqs for those trickle down into the police / tow truck lightbars because because why have build multiple controller SKUs when you don't have to?

I work for an Ambulance and Emergency Support Vehicle Manufacturer (ie fire trucks without pumps or boom ladders) and yeah that mostly tracks. For Whelen lightheads in particular, each light (which generally consists of 4 sections of LEDs arranged in a square and are sometimes different colored) has a set of programmed flashing patterns that can be selected and we have an external controller module that tells them when to turn on so that they can be synchronized with each other and can create additional flashing patterns as a whole. And yeah, Whelen basically constitutes for 99% of our flashing light needs. Sometimes the customer will ask for us to use stuff from Weldon and Tomar but our attempts at offering those options as a standard item has been less than successful.

There is another standard that's unfortunately named triple-K (specifically KKK-1822) which includes a specified flash pattern or compliant flash pattern.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://i.imgur.com/3f7IWCB.mp4

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZkAP-CQlhA

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Plan R posted:

You ever wonder why the Germans call it "Deutschland" and everbody else says "Germany?

It's because they're wrong.

https://jakubmarian.com/names-of-germany-in-european-languages/

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Edward IV posted:

I work for an Ambulance and Emergency Support Vehicle Manufacturer (ie fire trucks without pumps or boom ladders) and yeah that mostly tracks. For Whelen lightheads in particular, each light (which generally consists of 4 sections of LEDs arranged in a square and are sometimes different colored) has a set of programmed flashing patterns that can be selected and we have an external controller module that tells them when to turn on so that they can be synchronized with each other and can create additional flashing patterns as a whole. And yeah, Whelen basically constitutes for 99% of our flashing light needs. Sometimes the customer will ask for us to use stuff from Weldon and Tomar but our attempts at offering those options as a standard item has been less than successful.

There is another standard that's unfortunately named triple-K (specifically KKK-1822) which includes a specified flash pattern or compliant flash pattern.

Mind if I send you a PM? I'd love to talk further about this stuff without completely derailing the thread here.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

This chart is for steel, but it should be about the same for anything that radiates more or less as a blackbody, like carbon.

Any idea why 1900 degrees is darker than 1800?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think the chart is just poorly made. I didn't look at it very closely before posting. Here's a better and probably more accurate one.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
So in case there is a massive difference between Swedish emergency vehicles and the one in the USA, let me just post an example video of the types we got roaming the streets around here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tLGR1uYFeQ

I looked through that entire video and have two observations:

1) it feels like the video actually makes the lights more manageable to look at compared to seeing them in real life.
2) having watched about 6-8 minutes worth of flashing lights, I'm now feeling lightheaded and have difficulty with spelling and keeping my eyes focused.

I don't mind the brightness of the lights, I just can't handle the number of lights that are flashing at different times and therefore the amount of flashes that occur in any given second.
Now if the vehicles are just passing by me at speed, that is still fine. I can deal with that.
If they linger because they're parked at an incident site or they are attached to construction equipment or maintenance vehicles (and in those cases blinking yellow), it becomes an endurance test where the prize is feeling like poo poo for hours instead of being driven to the hospital in another ambulance.

You have no idea how hard it is to spell words correctly right now.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I agree that they really are going overboard with the number of lights and flashing rate these days. Sure, you want emergency vehicles to be visible. But I saw a cop the other day on the side of the road, and her cruiser has literally like 12 separate ultra bright white light bars facing forwards and flashing lights in at least another eight locations.

You do not have to blow out everyone's retinas or flash dozens of times a second to draw people's attention. Just a back and forth red and blue twice a second is more than enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I drive to work at 3 am and the big snow plows with the extremely bright, rapidly flashing lights on a pitch black road makes passing them a little terrifying.

Yes sir, I know you are there Mr plow, can I please see the other lane so I can get by maybe?