Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

8one6 posted:

I killed a pig that had a jetpack so now I have a jetpack.

I flipped out when I saw that for the first time. Unfortunately I already had a jetpack.

They should give them to spiders honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Ice Fist posted:

I flipped out when I saw that for the first time. Unfortunately I already had a jetpack.

They should give them to spiders honestly.

Mods???

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I don't think there are any for that

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

I've switched to using this linear accelerator style hypertube I found online: Hypertube Warp Room

I died too many times using actual hypercannons.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I've actually never built or used a hypercannon, I just build tubes between all my poo poo and slowboat my way around.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i build hypercannons as a means of getting through tubes faster.

i do not build them to send me flying to the air through my death. instead, the end of the hypertube is always pointed right at a wall or pillar to smash my lightspeed face into.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Pretty sure my cyber wagon item mall is now 100% functional for the items which I have automated at this point. Could undoubtedly use some path node pruning but everything is working and the items are going to the correct bins. Here's the save file for anyone who wanted to see it in action:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mnquic0kjzyim50/NESG_300123-195439.sav?dl=0

I think that's set so anyone can download it, let me know if it's not available.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

LonsomeSon posted:

I've actually never built or used a hypercannon, I just build tubes between all my poo poo and slowboat my way around.

Same, I always just take the tube time to focus on my other monitor or listen to whatever podcast I've got going.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

I use this design after I saw someone share it in here, I prefer using jetpacks for landings, but splashing in water or using the hoverpack and aiming your landing for somewhere powered works fine earlier on. I find the speed too convenient to go back to other designs or concepts, and it's a lot of fun to go screaming across the world. Plus, if you have bladerunners on, a fall from any height is still going to leave you alive as long as you've got a full health bar when you hit the ground. On my old processor this design would get kind of unreliable in big factories, but it's been much better now that I'm not on a first gen ryzen.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How does that work

e:when you flush a pipe network...where does it flush to

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 31, 2023

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

zoux posted:

The void

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

zoux posted:

How does that work

each time you enter a tube your speed goes up. you keep spinning in the circle until your speed is so large you shoot past the next entrance instead of entering it. i forget if it's a weird game geometry thing or a "mario 64 speed-teleporting into alternate universes" type deal where you move so fast you're past the collision geometry in a single update

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Going to try that tonight, I am building a big turbo fuel power plant in the middle of the map and it's a pain to trek over there whenever I get enough resources to build another bunch of fuel gens.

Edit: I thought the launch pad would do something similar and I laughed out loud when I saw the incredibly short range on it. It seems completely pointless.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Ok, here's a blueprint for my cyclotron cannon: get it
(blueprints are in users/username/AppData/Local/FactoryGame/Saved/SaveGames/blueprints/)

Add the exit tubes to the side entrances aimed where you want to go.

This is the best design I was able to find after a lot of experimentation when U6 came out and the blade runners and jetpack stopped being exclusive. This one is good when wearing blade runners and run into it. It has a really good framerate range too (cannons are sensitive to FPS for how they work).

And for the people who don't do cannons because they die too much, y'all should just practice some more! I'm cannoning all day every day and haven't died flying around in forever.
1. Feather the jetpack with quick taps for extended flight or to cancel fall speed.
2. UE has crazy air control: if you hold back you will slow down really quickly. Side strafe is very effective steering.
3. Save some juice for the landing.

ninjewtsu posted:

i forget if it's a weird game geometry thing or a "mario 64 speed-teleporting into alternate universes" type deal where you move so fast you're past the collision geometry in a single update

second one, but no alternate universe. you're moving fast enough that in one physics frame you move past one entrance and into the outer one.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

zoux posted:

How does that work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY8_GHpqb88
If you're still curious you can see it in action here.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Klyith posted:

And for the people who don't do cannons because they die too much, y'all should just practice some more! I'm cannoning all day every day and haven't died flying around in forever.

no if it is not 100% safe and consistent i am not putting my body in it

i'll just make the tube to where i'm going as a guided path after entering Warp Speed

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Moving right along. Crystal Oscillators - 10/min.

I don't really want to put these on a train. 10/min is hardly train worthy, but I don't have drones yet and since the rail network is right there I figured that it's the quickest way to ship them to my OG computer factory to make radios without doing something absurd. Once I get drones they'll be one of the first things there.

Next up, automating radios and then batteries. Gotta get those drones going.

Edit:

I forgot the thing I'm most smug about with this build. All the resources to this factory are local, but the pure crystal node I'm using is in a cave that doesn't have an entrance nearby. I didn't want to make a mega long ugly belt, so I thought I might be able to clip through the cave wall to a point close to my factory and I was right. Took some trial and error, but I got it to work.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 1, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Man aluminum is not loving around

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

euphronius posted:

Man aluminum is not loving around

If you want to make it easy, take the waste water coming from the aluminum scrap refineries and use it to make wet concrete or another pure ingot and then sink the product. Feeding waste water back into the alumina solution refineries works if you balance everything but the wet concrete strategy is completely foolproof, I still use it whenever I'm making aluminum products which are mission-critical.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What products are worth putting into the mall at aluminum and beyond ?

Aluminum alclad or whatever
The aluminum bins ?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

euphronius posted:

The aluminum bins ?

Well if you're me your item mall has every single thing in the game as the only way to soothe the insane goblin mutterings.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You'll definitely want alclad sheets and casings, they're used in a lot of important things. Beyond that depends on how thorough you want your mall to be - particle accelerators and mk 3 miners require fused modular frames, cooling systems and turbo motors so you might want access to those.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

You'll want radio control units as well for making blenders, though you can probably get away with making a small amount in a box factory rather than fully automating them and dealing with transport back to the mall.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

euphronius posted:

The aluminum bins ?

Alclad plates are what make MkV belts, so those are definitely in.

Aluminum Casings are used in blenders and drone ports. So they go in the mall because they're a building material.

There's not a ton of stuff beyond that but it's all useful: (an incomplete list)

- Radios for Blenders and drone ports
- Supercomputers for Nuke plants and particle accelerators
- Fused Modular Frames for Mk3 miners
- Turbo motors for Mk3 Miners and accelerators
- High Speed connectors for drone ports and the new smart ammo

Everything I can think of has a use and you're going to want some lying around your mall.

Edit: A case can be made that some of this stuff is seldomly used enough you can just grab a stack or something from the factory that produces it but for me:

CainFortea posted:

soothe the insane goblin mutterings.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 3, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I already have High Speed connectors in my mall

:colbert:

(Thank you every one !)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So we had a bit of an ice storm here that knocked out power since Tuesday. Powers back, but internet isn't, and I had a couple of questions about playing this offline through steam:

1. Can I?
2. I've read that you can, but that was like a 3 yo post and it says that you spawn a new guy and have to get your gear from your old, now permanently t-posed dead body, but if that's all there is I can hang.
3. How much data does this use? I got some gigs left on my dataplan and could use my phone as a hotspot if it's just save syncing

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

zoux posted:

So we had a bit of an ice storm here that knocked out power since Tuesday. Powers back, but internet isn't, and I had a couple of questions about playing this offline through steam:

1. Can I?
2. I've read that you can, but that was like a 3 yo post and it says that you spawn a new guy and have to get your gear from your old, now permanently t-posed dead body, but if that's all there is I can hang.
3. How much data does this use? I got some gigs left on my dataplan and could use my phone as a hotspot if it's just save syncing

You can play offline.

The only practical problem you might encounter when offline is that the game might not remember you and will spawn you into your game as a fresh character. This has been a problem for ages and was even mentioned in a recent dev chat as being a super long lived issue they've put off as low-priority.

Edit: Didn't fully read your post and you were already aware of the problem. Yeah, #2 is really your only concern. Not sure how much data this uses.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I would be surprised if it used any data at all besides from the standard Steam 'are you online?' check-in.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The game uses Epic Game Services even if you're on Steam, and tries to connect to EGS every time you start the game. Not being able to connect to EGS causes the player clone thing. The amount of data used is again trivial, but does mean that you'll need to do the hotspot every time you launch the game. Which could be annoying.

zoux posted:

It's not a dead body, but an "offline player" (and these days they sit down rather than t-pose). To get your stuff you have to actually kill them, so bring a weapon.

The one consequence about killing your old self is that tame lizard doggos are attached to the version you just killed. I have some doggos, so if I was in that situation I would leave that other self alive and just re-supply myself from my storage mall. Once you have internet back you will again re-inhabit the old self, and this new clone from playing offline will be hanging around until you kill them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's kind of hosed up

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

really they should integrate that into the game's ~lore~ somehow

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Clark Nova posted:

really they should integrate that into the game's ~lore~ somehow

Old builder unit stopped functioning, new builder unit deployed to dispatch it and reclaim materials.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

FICSIT incorporated condones and encourages the reclamation of resources from disassembling unattended FICSIT equipment, architecture, and personnel.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well internet came back so I don't have to resort to existential quandaries. Thanks for the help anyways tho!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Actually one more thing: I'm building a supply depot and establishing a serious organizing system for the first time. I'm currenly sorting by item category as listed on the Satisfactory Calculator, but I'm open to better suggestions. How many boxes per item do you shoot for

Also I modded in some extra inventory, decided it was too much really, uninstalled it but the slots persist. Any one know where the relevant .ini might be

zoux fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 4, 2023

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

One industrial crate per item, maybe two for the stuff that gets used all the time like iron plates/rods and concrete. Even light automation is usually enough to keep up with personal building demands.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

zoux posted:

Actually one more thing: I'm building a supply depot and establishing a serious organizing system for the first time. I'm currenly sorting by item category as listed on the Satisfactory Calculator, but I'm open to better suggestions. How many boxes per item do you shoot for

My first item mall was pretty compact, mostly standard storage boxes stacked up. Then there were a couple industrial boxes that shared multiple item types per box.

My current item mall has an industrial box plus a regular box for each item (or group, I still do mixed boxes for low-volume parts). That's more than I need, but the 2 box system is part of how my train filler works.

IMO the big decision is not how many boxes per item, but whether you put multiple item types in one box. I like combining items (ex rotors and motors together) in the interest of a smaller and more usable mall -- any time I see someone's layout that has 1 box of everything in the game it's huge and just makes me think about running back and forth to find stuff.

zoux posted:

Also I modded in some extra inventory, decided it was too much really, uninstalled it but the slots persist. Any one know where the relevant .ini might be

It's part of your savegame now. You can load your save into satisfactory-calculator.com then use Options, Players, Total Inventory Slots and set that to a lower number. Then download the save again and put it into your saves folder.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I didn't know player avatars hung around in game when they weren't logged in, and it was MASSIVELY creepy finding another player... in my single player game... just sitting peacefully on a cliff overlooking my space elevator. I had played multiplayer with my nephew MONTHS before and just never passed by that particular spot.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

A single storage container per item will be just fine, even for 2 people. Once a game is handling more than that I'd probably do 2 containers. Except for concrete. In my solo game I use an absurd amount of concrete. My personal train has two cars just with concrete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Concrete is the only thing where a single storage container in the mall feels insufficient instead of massive overkill

There's still no way to restrict the number of open slots in a container or automatically feed into a smaller container right?