Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

This is why I was put off by the first two hours of Remnant:From Ashes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I mean, they also have to make the combat accessible for kids since its a harry potter game.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

so are these pre-embargo leaks or what? do people have review copies?
where are the leaks coming from

e: found the full image

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 4, 2023

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The Harry Potter game probably won't be GOTY but footage of someone playing badly who doesn't know wtf they are doing will make most games look poo poo.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

it doesnt matter how badly someone is playing, that troll enemy is jankily sliding forward mid-animation and thats going to gently caress with dodge timing no matter what. this poo poo is a mess. 0:17 in particular is insanely bad jank

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
yeah the footage is meant to show the boss being lovely not the gamesjournalist being lovely

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

That part is bad true.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I mean I'm not going to go out on a limb to defend it lol

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
if enemies simply sliding into range is good enough for god of war it's good enough for harry potter

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Well if you see an animation error in the game, that's because a wizard did it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Really, just the core approach of taking a setting that's known for a having magic that can be made to do just about anything and turning it into "pew pew enemies with your gun wand while dodge-rolling their attacks" seems deeply ill-advised.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Why DO the wizards dodge roll instead of having a magic teleport?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I’ve only seen like two of the movies n it seemed like they just mostly cast magic missile which is kind of dull. Also did anyone actually expect this to have meaningful gameplay?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Pwnstar posted:

Well if you see an animation error in the game, that's because a wizard did it.

:hmmyes:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

will I be able to poo poo wherever I am and vanish the evidence

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
from the looks at other leaks wizards also have spider sense that puts a big "press dodgeroll now" red circle around their head whenever an enemy is attacking, even from off screen

also bosses have todo checklists?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Perestroika posted:

Really, just the core approach of taking a setting that's known for a having magic that can be made to do just about anything and turning it into "pew pew enemies with your gun wand while dodge-rolling their attacks" seems deeply ill-advised.

I mean, it's not like the later books didn't devolve into everyone shooting one of the two gun spells at eachother

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Pwnstar posted:

The Harry Potter game probably won't be GOTY but footage of someone playing badly who doesn't know wtf they are doing will make most games look poo poo.

remember the polygon doom 2016 gameplay footage hahaha

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

from the looks at other leaks wizards also have spider sense that puts a big "press dodgeroll now" red circle around their head whenever an enemy is attacking, even from off screen

also bosses have todo checklists?
It's literally that "If Elden Ring was made by western AAA devs" screenshot

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The new god of war has something similar. Do you have companions telling you to dodge and use your shield every 5 seconds too?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
also the active skills in that video in addition to the basic 40 damage wand pewpew are "do a bigger pew that does 200 damage" and "do a medium sized pew that does 60 damage and applies a DoT". so no the actives dont really make combat more dynamic
there is a thing that lifts enemies into the air for a juggle that only works on trash mobs and not bosses

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

They should have copied Magicka's system.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Volte posted:

It's literally that "If Elden Ring was made by western AAA devs" screenshot

Look it's based on a book, if it didn't have words all over the screen the fans would get bored.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I mean, they also have to make the combat accessible for kids since its a harry potter game.

Anyone interested in Harry Potter is 23+ years old. Kids don't give a gently caress about that magical fascist.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Worth remembering that the later movie games were Gears of War clones. Sticking Harry Potter into unexpected combat systems is just tradition at this point.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Not enough data to make an actual determination. But if that harry potter game turns out to be bad I"m going to loving laugh so hard. Please be poo poo. Please, please.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Agent355 posted:

Not enough data to make an actual determination. But if that harry potter game turns out to be bad I"m going to loving laugh so hard. Please be poo poo. Please, please.

It's going to be awful, but there's also going to be a whole lot of posts like "I don't know why everyone hates this game, it's actually the best game I've ever played if you're smart enough for it" on the reddit front page for a few weeks.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I think it'll be fine and played by 20m people the same way a new Assassin's Creed or whatever is.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

so are these pre-embargo leaks or what? do people have review copies?
where are the leaks coming from

e: found the full image

I don’t even understand what this dumbass tweet is trying to say.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Kids don't give a gently caress about that magical fascist.

Didn't realize we where in the 'magical opposite reality' thread. I've seen tons of kids in the 9+ range who absolutely devour the books. Much like Disney, just because there are maladjusted adults making a fandom about it doesn't mean that kids don't love it either.

The game being potentially lovely has nothing to do with any of that, big budget productions make lovely videogame adaptations of all sorts of IPs. Hell, sometimes they make lovely videogame adapatations of actually good video games!

edit:

MarcusSA posted:

I think it's them saying that the equipment screen seems like a lovely low-hanging fruit, common-denominator way of making a game. I recall Bioshock:Infinite had one too (in a game that had no reason to have one), typically a classic sign of design-by-the-numbers.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 4, 2023

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

I see you've never played Destiny 2

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Anyone interested in Harry Potter is 23+ years old. Kids don't give a gently caress about that magical fascist.

Yeah, it's not children that are still interested in Harry Potter. It's the man-children.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I'm just glad that we're probably yanking off the band-aid on "most insufferable Discourse in gaming" for the year early because I cannot see anything on the horizon which is gonna eclipse this with a AAA marketing budget shoving it around.

Maybe if Tears of the Kingdom comes out hard against orphans, I dunno

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Harry Potter is a huge enough name that the kids of people who grew up reading the books are now old enough to read Harry Potter themselves. It's worth about as much as Mario and the MCU. The theme parks alone gross about $4bil a year. You'd have to be wishfully delusional or just extremely not with it to think it's not an enormously popular franchise.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Xenonauts 2 actually in demo phase?

Next thing you'll be telling me they're actually going to release Silksong

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Just so people don't overthink the tweet, this is what Destiny 2's character screen looks like

That's it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Can't wait to grind for a rare scarf of wizardry.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Serephina posted:

Didn't realize we where in the 'magical opposite reality' thread. I've seen tons of kids in the 9+ range who absolutely devour the books. Much like Disney, just because there are maladjusted adults making a fandom about it doesn't mean that kids don't love it either.

Yeah the books didn't stop existing after they and the movies ended lol, they're still stocked and prominently displayed in bookstores and libraries. I'm sure kids are still reading them just like I read the narnia books despite being weird half-century old christian allegories

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

TeaJay posted:

Xenonauts 2 actually in demo phase?

Next thing you'll be telling me they're actually going to release Silksong

Mind, Xenonauts 2 had a demo like five years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
On the off chance that anyone played Lightning Returns on Game Pass: Any help with getting it to run? It launched fine the first time. But every time afterwards nothing happens after pressing the "Start Game" button in the game launcher. And if I go directly to the game exe, it starts, but perpetually displays "Paused".