Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
At some point, the flashing lights also stop being an aide to the emergency vehicle and turns into a hazard, since the lights flashing like that will capture all of my attention and focus. And if I were to drive a car (no I don't have a license or any plan to ever get one due to the epilepsy issue) I'd quickly run into the issue of "look where you want to go" turning into me unconsciously steering the car towards the emergency vehicle.
I base this claim on the constantly repeated mantra backed up by footage and whatever studies they reference on "Canada's Worst Driver". I'm not really in a hurry to verify my claim here with personal experimentation though, so grain of salt until someone else can back me up on this assumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

SerthVarnee posted:

Mind if I send you a PM? I'd love to talk further about this stuff without completely derailing the thread here.

You can go ahead but I won't be able to give you too much of a detailed response. I've only been with the company and in the industry for 4 years and much of the stuff I deal with is bridging and automating the gap between sales and engineering so I know enough for a simple explanation but nothing detailed besides what I can gleam off of in our documentation. I can pass any questions you have to the relevant people, though. Also, everything I know and we do is US-centric and specifically East coast US since that's where our market currently is.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Sagebrush posted:

I agree that they really are going overboard with the number of lights and flashing rate these days. Sure, you want emergency vehicles to be visible. But I saw a cop the other day on the side of the road, and her cruiser has literally like 12 separate ultra bright white light bars facing forwards and flashing lights in at least another eight locations.

You do not have to blow out everyone's retinas or flash dozens of times a second to draw people's attention. Just a back and forth red and blue twice a second is more than enough.

I assume it's an ever-escalating attempt to get the attention of all the people who ignore or fail to yield to emergency vehicles, not realizing that it's just pure idiocy rather than them not noticing blaring sirens and flashing lights. The dude who rear-ends a cop pulled over on the shoulder is probably gonna do that no matter what.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

SerthVarnee posted:

At some point, the flashing lights also stop being an aide to the emergency vehicle and turns into a hazard, since the lights flashing like that will capture all of my attention and focus. And if I were to drive a car (no I don't have a license or any plan to ever get one due to the epilepsy issue) I'd quickly run into the issue of "look where you want to go" turning into me unconsciously steering the car towards the emergency vehicle.

This is one reason drunk and impaired drivers love to ram into police cars.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

SerthVarnee posted:

yeah, it's target fixation - if your attention is drawn towards a thing and you're like "i better not hit that" but you keep staring directly at it, subconsciously you're going to go directly into the thing you're staring at. it's better to give the thing a little side eye so you know it is there but that it doesn't dominate your focus. as stated above, this is why drunk drivers end up crashing into the extremely visible police car on the side of the road

iirc this was observed during ww2 when it was noticed that pilots attacking a target on the ground would get so involved in flying at and killing that thing that they would realize, too late, that they were too close to the ground to safely pull away

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 4, 2023

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Sagebrush posted:

I agree that they really are going overboard with the number of lights and flashing rate these days. Sure, you want emergency vehicles to be visible. But I saw a cop the other day on the side of the road, and her cruiser has literally like 12 separate ultra bright white light bars facing forwards and flashing lights in at least another eight locations.

You do not have to blow out everyone's retinas or flash dozens of times a second to draw people's attention. Just a back and forth red and blue twice a second is more than enough.

Yeah, I drive home from work right when all the bars close in my area, so I get to see a lot of cop cars with lights on on the shoulder, and the modern LED ones are retina searing bright, they just completely annihilate my night vision, they could definitely move to having a couple red and blue solid warning lights at a decent brightness, then seperate flashers the driver could hit as a "get the gently caress out of my way/pull over".

Also, the journo that wrote that stupid fear-monger article about the Brit submarine from a few pages back needs to be shot into the loving sun.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1YrZLhPccw

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

I’ll admit, looking at only the thumbnail on my phone, I was surprised that Owen Hart was ever a mascot for BYU.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rpkex4MV0z1uk10e9.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rpkf6253CL1uk10e9.mp4

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

ISeeBM misfire

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
and the manhole cover returned to its home planet, never to be seen again.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Ror posted:

I assume it's an ever-escalating attempt to get the attention of all the people who ignore or fail to yield to emergency vehicles, not realizing that it's just pure idiocy rather than them not noticing blaring sirens and flashing lights. The dude who rear-ends a cop pulled over on the shoulder is probably gonna do that no matter what.

The new hotness around here for grocery stores is to put a little trailer in one of the spots in the parking lot and hoist a pole from it to put cameras onto. Every single one of them is equipped with a flashing blue light for no reason.

I assume it's to say "Ooooh scary it might be the cops" but now I have yet another reason to hate those things.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:stare:

https://twitter.com/davenewworld_2/status/1621887391538503681?s=20&t=CPL8uq7K8BuY1Qbjl3JT_w

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/CocigCK.mp4

What not to do.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

According to north American rescue the swimmer just got certified and is still in training. So he definitely got a crazy one for his first rescue (both survived)

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://teddit.net/vids/m8ugfzr0t4ga1.mp4
they filled up the hull of the boat with gas somehow

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

The way he ducks underwater as he sees the wave coming, "nope"

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

LifeSunDeath posted:

https://teddit.net/vids/m8ugfzr0t4ga1.mp4
they filled up the hull of the boat with gas somehow

they put the nozzle in a rod holder

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

shame on an IGA posted:

JFC

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

shame on an IGA posted:

Another qualified captain!

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

shame on an IGA posted:

I'm sure alcohol played no part in this.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

the rod holder is full of nerve endings

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://twitter.com/jxlars/status/1622010477520764928

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

That second one looks really fake.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Sagebrush posted:

I agree that they really are going overboard with the number of lights and flashing rate these days.

The ambulances around me turn on like four flashing lights when they step on the brakes. Just driving down the city street, normal, FLASH!, normal, FLASH!, turn into the gas station. You know what? It is starting to make me not think of flashing lights as emergency lights!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/AFur9gq.mp4

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:catstare:
When even a simple animation of tiny cartoon airplane icons is enough to make me clench up

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Let he who has not destroyed something in a fit of rage cast the first printer.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Captain Hygiene posted:

:catstare:
When even a simple animation of tiny cartoon airplane icons is enough to make me clench up

*Sigh* If we had better sex ed in this country people would realize this sort of mating behavior is perfectly normal.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/EYC5PYg.mp4

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I just worked on a project that added CO and methane LEL monitoring to a room, the system also came with a stacklight that would flash if the gas got too high. The stacklight had to be epileptic friendly, just in case.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

He was really not a fan huh

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

haveblue posted:

Sometime in college, I developed a habit of adding -tastic to everything. Then, one day, while training on a new job, I had to take a freight elevator down to a storage space under the dorms that opened into a huge crawlspace that was just full of fans that we would rent out to students staying for summer session in the dorms.

I immediately blurted out, "drat, this room is fan-tastic!"

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

And the opposite...
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7195578262129528070

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

I would put money down that he had hit his head on that fan at least 30 times before this.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/cQKvvyy.mp4

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

As far as I can tell the trick is to annoy the snake until it sees the bag you're holding not as another thing to be annoyed by but a convenient "gently caress this, I'm out!" hole to hide in.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

haveblue posted:

Boo! I say Boo!

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-PhsVu_mLo&t=110s

The ship version of backing really fast and slamming on the brakes to unload your truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

wheatpuppy posted:

*Sigh* If we had better sex ed in this country people would realize this sort of mating behavior is perfectly normal.

Mistakes into miracles!

By the comments, the visibility was only 200 meters when this happened. I think I can imagine how the recorded audio from the second plane sounds like *screams*