Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe a long shot since this is such a small group, but anyone got a recommendation for a print lab in the Denver CO area?

Yeah there's a lot of online services that do great work but I'd like to settle on a local shop where I can show up and see faces and get suggestions or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Thinking this looks pretty good as a mirrorless for my partner and second body for me if I ever need to shoot an event (again). Can someone tell me if this sounds like a decent deal? It is :canada: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1757200294649279/

Sony A7ii $1450

-Sony A7ii Mint condition.
-Shutter count 26154 (rated for 200k plus)
-Kit FE 28-70mm Lens
-AF 35mm f/2.8 FE lens
-Camera strap
- Comes with 4 (maybe more if I find them) batteries and the original box.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I came across an old TLR camera at goodwill today and couldnt pass on it. Apparently its a Sears Tower 120 Flash, which is a rebranded Ising Pucky (http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Pucky)

The mechanicals all seem to work, the shutter, zoom, aperture and auto/bulb mode all work fine, but the thing is dirty as hell in the lenses. Its hard to even see out of the viewfinder. Anyone have any advice on cleaning it? It looks like mostly dust, and not mold or something like that. If I cant, its still not a bad shelf ornament for :10bux:

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

i dont know if its any good, but it looks cool

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Looks like a fancy box brownie. I doubt you'll find any service manual but I'd start my exploration with those 4 screws holding on the faceplate.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

what website do people use these days to host their photos and discover other photographers's photos?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

landgrabber posted:

what website do people use these days to host their photos and discover other photographers's photos?

Flickr for me

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I've traveled back to 2009 and am mostly using Flickr again. It takes some cultivating, you need to prune groups which are just picture dumps and follow people you like. Explore is also completely hit and miss, but there is good stuff in there and lots of goons to follow.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

landgrabber posted:

I do purely the former and pay for Flickr. It works well enough for what I want to do with it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Flickr integrates really well with Lightroom for me (Just make sure you set the plugin to export at 100% JPG quality - default is like 70%), and while there is a lot of weird groups, you will also find that many of the groups you can join do have some inspiring photos. Overall, I feel like it offers a lot more positives than negatives. I've also done some test prints of photos with their service and they've come back looking pretty nice for framing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Flickr is nice because it's old school social media.. you only see what you want to see. There's no algorithm shoving paid posts or "trending" content. Explore is the closest they get to that and you can completely ignore it if you want.

The only downside is if you want your stuff to be seen you have to do it manually.. spam an upload to any relevant groups. Which I guess isn't much different than hash tags but it does take more effort.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well turns out it was really easy to open up. Just four screws on the back film holder

I cleaned it up and the lenses are pretty clean now but the mirror is foggy. Still it works better than it did

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm not sure but I think you'll need to replace the mirror. It's not possible to repair that. Any competent glass shop should be able to cut you one of the appropriate thickness and size

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Is color grading like the new selective saturation? Should I be learning to color grade?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
since quality of photo is not really a defining characteristic of good photography anymore, then yeah kinda, if you want your images to be relevant

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

echinopsis posted:

since quality of photo is not really a defining characteristic of good photography anymore

what do you mean by that?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bellows lugosi posted:

what do you mean by that?

what I mean that you can get high quality photos with pretty average gear these days, so in order to stand out you need to more than that

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, like concept and execution. No one's getting "relevant" with color grading.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Unless your end goal is to open a store in a high end shop in Las Vegas. Then you need to learn how to move the saturation slider past 100%. Very few people know how to do this.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Colour management can be tricky, I recommend starting out using just one or two channels while you're learning and leave the full RGB for a few years down the road once you've got a proper grasp on it.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i love that i can take passable photos with my phone these days instead of looking like a goober hauling around a dslr

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Why would someone take a photo with a telephone?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

Colour management can be tricky, I recommend starting out using just one or two channels while you're learning and leave the full RGB for a few years down the road once you've got a proper grasp on it.

It takes a true master to do CMYK

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

xzzy posted:

Yeah, like concept and execution. No one's getting "relevant" with color grading.

idk I don't like being shamed for having no concept nor execution

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Just shoot black and white, problem solved

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Color grade your black and white

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Back in my day we just called it "editing". But of course video people need flashy terms for everything they do and it eventually trickled down to us photography plebs.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Megabound posted:

Just shoot black and white, problem solved

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Any recommendations for places to look for used gear? I’ve looked at Adorama, KEH, eBay but wondered if there were any other places.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
MPB

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://www.samys.com/preowned
https://www.camerawest.com/products/condition/used
https://usedphotopro.com/

https://www.jogeier.com/ also has a ton of old poo poo.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
What is the recommendation for non-subscription based photo editing software? I used Lightroom forever, but now I don't use it often enough to warrant the subscription fee. I'm not necessarily looking for free software. I don't mind buying it, but it doesn't make sense for me to pay a monthly subscription fee.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Capture one pro is the goto for high quality but not subscription (all though it has that option)

Best free options are rawtherapee and darktable.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Koth posted:

What is the recommendation for non-subscription based photo editing software? I used Lightroom forever, but now I don't use it often enough to warrant the subscription fee. I'm not necessarily looking for free software. I don't mind buying it, but it doesn't make sense for me to pay a monthly subscription fee.

i made the switch to DxO Photolab 6 ~6 months ago. never looked back. i had used photoshop since its debut

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I like DxO Photolab for raw processing + edits you'd do in Lightroom, Affinity Photo for the things you'd use Photoshop for. Both generally do sales at about 40% off a couple times a year.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
I'm unfortunately stuck in my ways and like Lightroom Classic for its integrated DAM capabilities. Are there non-subscription DAM software similar in power to LR Classic

Thoren
May 28, 2008
How useful is TTL for street photography? Should I just learn to shoot flash manually?

I take photos of random strangers.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Thoren posted:

How useful is TTL for street photography? Should I just learn to shoot flash manually?

People are gonna object much more being flashed at than just photographed, unless you are asking them 1st?

Second problem is usually flash is bounced of a ceiling etc if you are outside you need modifiers / bounce boards which doesn't really suit street unless you are setting up the gear and inviting people over. So really you would be direct flash, which imo looks bad, but is apparently a trendy style now but again do you want a direct flashed look?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You’ll have to be really up close and personal for an outdoor flash to work well, or shoot at night, either way

jarlywarly posted:

People are gonna object much more being flashed at than just photographed, unless you are asking them 1st?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Thoren posted:

Don't use flash for street photography, get a faster lens instead