Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Geez, E-Bay is the worst when it comes to selling Legos (probably anything in general too). From the cut that E-Bay takes, to non-payment people, to people low-balling you all the time. I broke down two sets that were going to sell, but the seller backed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I bought the A-Frame at my local Lego store and now I'm gonna build it one bag per day until such time as it is finished and I put it up on a shelf to occasionally gaze at and say "hmm."

thanks for reading

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Hey thanks for sharing. Keep coming back.

It works if you work it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

obi_ant posted:

Geez, E-Bay is the worst when it comes to selling Legos (probably anything in general too). From the cut that E-Bay takes, to non-payment people, to people low-balling you all the time. I broke down two sets that were going to sell, but the seller backed out.

I stopped selling cards on Ebay for these reasons, it turned out that after all the cuts it was the same as taking like 40% a shop would give me.

Try the SA-Mart

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

HootTheOwl posted:

I stopped selling cards on Ebay for these reasons, it turned out that after all the cuts it was the same as taking like 40% a shop would give me.

Try the SA-Mart
I would rather, in this order:
1) sell to LUG members,
2) sell on SA-Mart, or
3) sell at a big loss to my local 3rd party store
than ever touch Ebay to move used LEGO.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Try selling on the various facebook groups, I've had great luck with those.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ebay feels like a necessary evil sometimes because it's the only easy way to sell collectable poo poo, but I haven't hosed with LEGO on there much mostly because calculating shipping feels daunting. I've mostly just sold Lego on Craigslist because you can sell easily if you undercut Ebay prices a bit and then shipping is a non issue as well as including the box.

I hear FB is even better than Craigslist I just haven't tried it personally. I do have a killer ebay strat that always seems to work though ama.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
If anybody sees bootlego Last of Us figures let me know. I'm keeping an out but haven't spotted any yet.

PS You should watch the show. Episode 3:cry:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Is Mould King any good? eBay caught me looking for sea captains and baby spacemen and decided I might want giant sail boats

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Sivart13 posted:

I bought the A-Frame at my local Lego store and now I'm gonna build it one bag per day
man already in Bag 2 things are popping off

1990s lego would never

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

HootTheOwl posted:

Is Mould King any good? eBay caught me looking for sea captains and baby spacemen and decided I might want giant sail boats

i think that's the major one now that lepin is gone. i can write a bit more about knockoffs if you guys want since i've bought a few

haven't seen any last of us minifigs yet but i'll keep an eye out

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I have had good experiences with the Chinese knockoffs. The instructions are a bit iffy, and some of the steps are real annoyingly fragile, but it's worth it for the interesting stuff Lego doesn't make.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

deoju posted:

If anybody sees bootlego Last of Us figures let me know. I'm keeping an out but haven't spotted any yet.

HootTheOwl posted:

No spoilers, I haven't gotten to the mould king episode yet.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

veni veni veni posted:

Ebay feels like a necessary evil sometimes because it's the only easy way to sell collectable poo poo, but I haven't hosed with LEGO on there much mostly because calculating shipping feels daunting. I've mostly just sold Lego on Craigslist because you can sell easily if you undercut Ebay prices a bit and then shipping is a non issue as well as including the box.

I hear FB is even better than Craigslist I just haven't tried it personally. I do have a killer ebay strat that always seems to work though ama.

What about Bricklink? Prices seem fairer than Ebay and it has a comparable amount of people using it

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Bricklink feels more like if you want to sell stuff eventually rather than right now. But maybe it works if you undercut the market price?

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
So, since the topic of Chinese knockoffs came up... I actually got two sets today, from Wish.com. I just finished this one, which was €4,49, with another €3,81 to ship to an in-store pickup point in my city. This is what the finished product is supposed to look like:

It came packaged in a resealable plastic bag with a handle, with no clear designation as to which set was inside. The other set was packaged in an identical bag.

Inside were three numbered resealable bags, along with a card. As you can see on the card, the actual numbering on the bags is meaningless.

On the back of the card was a QR code, which led me to a Chinese website. Getting the actual PDF instructions was a bit tricky. There was a code on a sticker that I had to enter, along with a simple Captcha. I only realised what I needed to get when I saw that the page was asking for a 'C****-code', which turned out to refer to the fact that the code on the sticker started with a C.

The instructions themselves are... interesting. Mostly it's just one or two bricks at a time...

Because they did it one piece at a time, the instructions were mostly easy enough to follow along with. The only real weirdness I noticed was with the start of the legs:

The instructions don't use sub-assemblies. This results in wonky moments like this. Nothing that can't be figured out by anyone with a modicum of experience, but still a bit weird.

The final result was this:

So pretty much as advertised on the box. The only noticeable thing was that the blue saddle that was promised was missing.

Now, as for the quality of the bricks... this is only my second ever knockoff Lego purchase. The plastic seems sturdy enough. It's immediately obvious that there's no 'LEGO' on the studs. The injection moulding marks are way more obvious, but generally located in the centre of studs, so easy enough to cover up.

There does seem to be some colour matching issues. This is all supposed to be the same hue of yellow, but some parts are noticeably darker than the others:

The most noticeable drop in quality is in the fit of the bricks. They feel very stiff, and it takes some proper squeezing to get them to fit flush and level. The spinning plate used for the neck is also very loose, as you can see in the picture above.

The biggest issue I noticed was with the feet. Specifically, the clips on the end of the part refused to clip onto the rod, and I had to slide them on in stead. The fit of the nails was also very tight, and they're made from the same hard plastic as all the other bits, which makes fitting them kind of awkward. The clips for the tail feathers and the ball and socket joints seem to fit well enough, and the snap hinges on the legs work like they're supposed to, but I can't judge their load bearing capacity or how they'll stand up to extended play.

One last nitpick - while the print on the eyes is fine, it's quite a bit smaller than the Lego part they tried to copy.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if they just took someone's MOC and recreated it. All the pieces can be matched one to one with existing Lego pieces. I might recreate this with actual Lego eventually.

Next up is this set.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah the QC is definitely not as tight as Lego. Sometimes pieces don't quite fit together and you have to force, and the slight color issues. But Lego isn't going to make Totally Not Cyberpunk 2077 sets, so.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah the QC is definitely not as tight as Lego. Sometimes pieces don't quite fit together and you have to force, and the slight color issues. But Lego isn't going to make Totally Not Cyberpunk 2077 sets, so.

The big thing I notice is the clutch on minfig torso/leg connection is often a lot weaker than real lego. But when it's a choice between paying $1.20 for a drax that my kid breaks while violently smashing his city apart into bits, or paying $30 for the real thing, gently caress it i'll go with less clutch.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

and the slight color issues.

Even official lego has 'slight color issues' these days. Whether it's a function of manufacturing differences at various factories or color from a single factory changes over the course of a day I got no clue, but get a pile of identical bricks in the same color and you'll be able to spot differences.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

As a colorblind, I think the knockoffs are worse because I can sometimes see the difference. I haven't in Lego.

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
With some of the knock-offs it definitely makes you appreciate the QA that goes into actual Lego re: clutch tolerances. Especially when you're laying down tiles- there is a lot more variation and you can see with the longer pieces that some of them aren't completely straight.

Visually though I find no difference especially from a distance, as mentioned official Lego has its own colour issues- superficially the quality appears more or less the same until you actually start building.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Presented without comment:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

even the ocr scanner can't tell the left and right variants of that piece apart without stopping to think about it a second

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh, wrong part. It happens, contact Lego, they’ll sort you out.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Three Indiana Jones sets leaked.

77012 Fighter Plane Chase, 387 pcs, $39.99

77013 Escape From The Lost Tomb 600 pcs $49.99

77014 The Temple of Doom 801 pcs $79.99

All of them look pretty darn good to me, though I'm not sure I'll buy any of them.

Edit: Prices could easily be different.

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 5, 2023

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Pretty sure a lot of the recent leaks are still not final product images, so if stuff like the Anubis statues in that one set look weirdly basic, that’s why.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The original Indiana Jones plane chase set with the two notzi planes was way better.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Pretty sure a lot of the recent leaks are still not final product images, so if stuff like the Anubis statues in that one set look weirdly basic, that’s why.

Don't get your hopes up. There is a massive difference between these leaked boxes of sets releasing in April and the clearly not ready for production prototype sets from the survey leak.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'll be getting the plane and car, but the two set pieces don't interest me at all.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

EvilJoven posted:

The original Indiana Jones plane chase set with the two notzi planes was way better.

You mean the truck chase one, right? Because that's everyone's favorite chase scene ever! :v:

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Blue Moonlight posted:

Presented without comment:
had the same issue with my Deep Sea Creatures 31088 except for me it was a wrong-handed Wedge 2 x 1 x 2/3 so now my shark just got a little bit of a weird face

also googlery shows some others in your very exact same situation

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Minifig scale zeppelin when

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The plane and chase set but it's the zeppelin and tank

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

You mean the truck chase one, right? Because that's everyone's favorite chase scene ever! :v:

No the one with the biplane and fighter where Sr blows off their tail after they escape from the Zeppelin.

The truck one is also a great set.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

speed champions skyline is a neat build. if you gut the nitrous junk in the passenger seat and some of the greeble stuff in the back seat it becomes a three seater (2 + a legless minifig anyway). and with that the speed champions line inches one step closer to being actual cars people would drive outside of movies and race tracks

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Skios posted:

So, since the topic of Chinese knockoffs came up... I actually got two sets today, from Wish.com. I just finished this one, which was €4,49, with another €3,81 to ship to an in-store pickup point in my city. This is what the finished product is supposed to look like:

It came packaged in a resealable plastic bag with a handle, with no clear designation as to which set was inside. The other set was packaged in an identical bag.

Inside were three numbered resealable bags, along with a card. As you can see on the card, the actual numbering on the bags is meaningless.

On the back of the card was a QR code, which led me to a Chinese website. Getting the actual PDF instructions was a bit tricky. There was a code on a sticker that I had to enter, along with a simple Captcha. I only realised what I needed to get when I saw that the page was asking for a 'C****-code', which turned out to refer to the fact that the code on the sticker started with a C.

The instructions themselves are... interesting. Mostly it's just one or two bricks at a time...

Because they did it one piece at a time, the instructions were mostly easy enough to follow along with. The only real weirdness I noticed was with the start of the legs:

The instructions don't use sub-assemblies. This results in wonky moments like this. Nothing that can't be figured out by anyone with a modicum of experience, but still a bit weird.

The final result was this:

So pretty much as advertised on the box. The only noticeable thing was that the blue saddle that was promised was missing.

Now, as for the quality of the bricks... this is only my second ever knockoff Lego purchase. The plastic seems sturdy enough. It's immediately obvious that there's no 'LEGO' on the studs. The injection moulding marks are way more obvious, but generally located in the centre of studs, so easy enough to cover up.

There does seem to be some colour matching issues. This is all supposed to be the same hue of yellow, but some parts are noticeably darker than the others:

The most noticeable drop in quality is in the fit of the bricks. They feel very stiff, and it takes some proper squeezing to get them to fit flush and level. The spinning plate used for the neck is also very loose, as you can see in the picture above.

The biggest issue I noticed was with the feet. Specifically, the clips on the end of the part refused to clip onto the rod, and I had to slide them on in stead. The fit of the nails was also very tight, and they're made from the same hard plastic as all the other bits, which makes fitting them kind of awkward. The clips for the tail feathers and the ball and socket joints seem to fit well enough, and the snap hinges on the legs work like they're supposed to, but I can't judge their load bearing capacity or how they'll stand up to extended play.

One last nitpick - while the print on the eyes is fine, it's quite a bit smaller than the Lego part they tried to copy.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if they just took someone's MOC and recreated it. All the pieces can be matched one to one with existing Lego pieces. I might recreate this with actual Lego eventually.

Next up is this set.

I recently bought my first and last knockoff Lego set. It's not that it was even bad, in fact I was sort of impressed by the embossed box and not terrible quality, and everything was as advertised. But the building experience was an unfun pain, the bricks were very noticeably not on the level of Lego's quality with how they felt and interacted with each other, and there was like 50 stickers and many of them went over multiple bricks. I just realized there is a reason I collect lego and not just building toys in general. For as pricey as Lego is they really do generally make a premium feeling product.

That chocobo does look p cool though.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I missed out on the Lego Voltron set when it released. Am I pretty much stuck paying $400 for it or is there some secret internet lego black market?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
How do you feel about bootlegs?
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...id=NUvlvMJrGElQ

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Rad Valtar posted:

I missed out on the Lego Voltron set when it released. Am I pretty much stuck paying $400 for it or is there some secret internet lego black market?

It's $400? drat. I guess it wasn't out very long.

Speaking of very long, hasn't the Disney Castle been out almost 7 years now? Is that a record?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

I have no experience with bootlegs because I always just assumed the quality was way worse. I'm not a purist or anything so if it's not as bad as I imagined I would be interested.

Waltzing Along posted:

It's $400? drat. I guess it wasn't out very long.

Speaking of very long, hasn't the Disney Castle been out almost 7 years now? Is that a record?

I've seen some for $350 and there is a guy on Facebook that has one for $300 and I'm going to try to get it for $250 because I don't want to pay more bur most I have seen hover around $400.

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 5, 2023