Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Aug. 14, 1955)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/3/03

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 5/4-6/50

Smokey Stover 9/28/52

Everyday Movies 1/25/36

"Who'll give a dollar for it? It's a bargain if you can use it!"

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 9/30 - 10/2/40

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I don't say it enough but Blueberry is really good. Between Val and Blue, the art is loving amazing. I can't say who is better because gently caress, they both are great.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 9/30 - 10/2/40

... what the hell is Hom-Atropine? Are we supposed to recognize it?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Zereth posted:

... what the hell is Hom-Atropine? Are we supposed to recognize it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homatropine

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Given that it's 1940, possibly not, but since " It is used in eye drops as a cycloplegic (to temporarily paralyze accommodation), and as a mydriatic (to dilate the pupil)." according to the aforementioned Wikipedia link, Scarlet's probably going to dump it in Badly's eyes for that old-fashioned retributive justice.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

The parents presumably know she's not paying rent. She's definitely rich enough to pay rent if they asked, but apparently they haven't.

She is partying right now, but not there; she's going to a dorm party. So they're planning to lie. Cool. Great friend behavior.

I assume that, being generally adults, they don't see anything wrong with letting the girl who got freaked out by a possible burglar at the giant mansion she lives in alone crash in the guest house thing so that she can feel safe

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 4, 2023

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

That's a subtle one. Even after reading the answer I had to look really close to see the difference.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Feb 16-18, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 22-27, 1992)

Big Nate

Blind Alley

Not sure if I've posted that first one but here it is anyways just in case

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 4, 2023

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I Don't Follow NASCAR But I Do Not Believe It Has Wrestling-Style Kayfabe Gimmicks. If I'm Wrong I'm Wrong.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Willy the Djinn

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom, starting issue #44

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I haven't seen Bootsie for a while. Is it gone?

Luann

Tiff's "friends" loving suck.

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Hopefully this improves when we get to the "living in the back yard and talking to animals" part of the story

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Luann authors just uh, wrote this entire week+ of strips out and didn't reread the dialogue for a second, did they?

"Wait a second, all the primary PoV characters are REALLY unlikeable!"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The Gunterhaus table seems suspiciously preferential of having a rich blonde girl around their boys.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

B. Virtanen

ANSU

Fingerpori

A himmel is a traditional Finnish decoration, made from tying pieces of dry hollow reed together with string to form geometrical shapes and then hung from the ceiling. I think they're especially common around christmastime.
Gott im Himmel = God in Heaven
Gott im Himmel = God in a himmel
(Incidentally, himmel is one of the few words in Finnish that end in an L in their basic form (I think there are 12 total?)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

why does fingerpori have lots of nazis this week

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (February 7, 1976)

Miss Peach (July 22, 1989)

Dinkleshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (September 6, 1939)

Out Our Way (December 30, 1940-January 1, 1941)

Something that probably won't figure into OOW anytime soon turned up on the New Year's Day 1941 front page, but it's still one of the signs that '41 was going to be a cursed year beyond what was happing on the warfronts, because that was the day when ASCAP's contract ran out with the radio networks with no new deal in sight, so the vast majority of American radio stations were banned from playing ASCAP-controlled songs.

In the short term, the ASCAP broadcast boycott meant that radio listeners got a weird, off-brand version of the hit parade, but The History of Rock 'n' Roll in 500 Songs podcast makes the case that the long-term implications were profound.

Andrew Hickey posted:

The American Society of Composers and Publishers was — and still is — an organisation that represented most of the most important songwriters and music publishers in the USA, the people who had been writing the most successful songs. They collected royalties for live performances and radio plays, and distributed them to the composers and publishers who made up their membership. And they only dealt with the respectable Tin Pan Alley composers, but that covered enough songs — in the early forties they had a repertoire of one and a quarter million songs, including all the most popular songs that the big bands were playing.

And then for ten months in 1941, they banned all the radio stations in the USA from playing any of their songs, over a royalty dispute.

This should have been catastrophic for the radio stations, and would have been if there hadn’t been another organisation, BMI, set up as a rival to ASCAP a couple of years earlier. BMI dealt with only the low-class music — the blues, and country songs, and gospel songs, and hillbilly music, and boogie. The stuff ASCAP didn’t think was important.

Except that now all that music became very important, because that was all you could play on the radio. Well, that and public domain songs, but pretty soon everyone was bored of hearing “I Dream of Jeannie With The Light Brown Hair”. And so there was suddenly a much bigger audience for all the hillbilly and blues performers, all of whom had incorporated the boogie style into their own styles.

In hindsight, it was the first brick pulled out of the Jenga tower that was the Big Band Era. That might make it a little bit more relevant to 1946 Archie, which was created in the wake of the escalating unintended consequences of that and the other music-related strike that Andrew Hickey goes on to talk about. But we'll more than likely get to that sooner or later.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 4, 2023

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

He likes taking the piss out of Nazis. It's a very common theme in his work.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

CommonShore posted:

What goatface said, + the book tends to have strips grouped by theme; we had a section of ancient history -themed strips earlier, then a set about Allan trying out jobs and going on dates, and now I guess we're into a section of nazis being the butt of the jokes.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
In this case it seems to just be visual shorthand that the speaker is German

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Archie is too silly to recognize how good he has it with Betty. That raven haired seductress clouds his head.

Those enjoying 1946 Archie might enjoy Harvey Kurtzmann and BIll Elder's take from 1954: https://usualgangofidiots.tumblr.com/post/141537249788/starchie-mad-12-june-1954-artist-will-elder

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 1/30 - 2/1/50

Quoting Robert Louis Stevenson and Omar Khayyam, quatrains 1 and 74. Who says comics ain't educational?

Filled with alarm, get it?

Archie 6/6-8/46

Selachian fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 4, 2023

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

EasyEW posted:

Something that probably won't figure into OOW anytime soon turned up on the New Year's Day 1941 front page, but it's still one of the signs that '41 was going to be a cursed year beyond what was happing on the warfronts, because that was the day when ASCAP's contract ran out with the radio networks with no new deal in sight, so the vast majority of American radio stations were banned from playing ASCAP-controlled songs.

In the short term, the ASCAP broadcast boycott meant that radio listeners got a weird, off-brand version of the hit parade, but The History of Rock 'n' Roll in 500 Songs podcast makes the case that the long-term implications were profound.

In hindsight, it was the first brick pulled out of the Jenga tower that was the Big Band Era. That might make it a little bit more relevant to 1946 Archie, which was created in the wake of the escalating unintended consequences of that and the other music-related strike that Andrew Hickey goes on to talk about. But we'll more than likely get to that sooner or later.

God, I love this thread sometimes.

Also, glad you're enjoying Blueberry, Cowslips.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

MyronMulch posted:

Those enjoying 1946 Archie might enjoy Harvey Kurtzmann and BIll Elder's take from 1954: https://usualgangofidiots.tumblr.com/post/141537249788/starchie-mad-12-june-1954-artist-will-elder

Bottleneck!

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

EasyEW posted:

Dinkleshaft

These are old, church-going ladies. There's no way in hell at least one of them can't sew some robes. Yeah you got to buy the fabric but that's reasonable enough.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

lol

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Tom Batiuk you miserable gently caress, once again you've tried to have your drama and acclaim cake and eat it too. Did I hate the old Crankshaft? Yes. Do I want it back instead of this fat cup of piss? Also yes.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Not finding "Anita Koolidge" but I assume she does exist and chances are good that if so, someone here knows of her.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

That wraps up the one-pagers, we’ve got another longer story next.

Cthulhu and Girl

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Taking the easy bet of Chloe and Cai leaving the band, allowing both contestants in, only to rename the band the Sea Stars since the naming convention no longer makes sense.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

WHY ARE YOU IDIOTS NOT ESCAPING

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
For the Ghost Who Flirts Awkwardly*!!

*Translated from the Bandar tongue.

Adbot