Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The Krumpac mod looks very impressive, look forward to the day it's released to the public and not behind a monthly paywall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Alright, well, day two of Moder somehow went even worse, and now both my main and backup armor are on a mountain in the middle of plains being camped by a dragon who has destroyed my base.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

What about diving that would be cool. Maybe eat some sea weed so you can breathe underwater

If I were a modder, I’d add an item that lets you breath underwater and give you the iron boots from the Zelda games that make you sink to the bottom. Then add a bunch of content underwater. Easy way to add an extra biome.

Also give me a stick of dynamite that lets me blow up boulders. I have a continent that has a river running through it, but loving river rocks make it a pain in the rear end to take the boat down it, even though if I don’t get stuck it’s objectively faster to take it.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Valheim is more realistic than I thought

https://twitter.com/ohshidt/status/1621719287386841088

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The Krumpac mod looks very impressive, look forward to the day it's released to the public and not behind a monthly paywall.

Yeah he's a chill dude too. I've been hanging out with him on his discord and it really is just a passion project for him. Crazy to see how much content one guy has added in just his spare time. He even recruited me to write some of the lore for his dungeon encounters.

Def recommend you check it out. It extends the early game experience which is my fav part of the game.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

If I were a modder, I’d add an item that lets you breath underwater and give you the iron boots from the Zelda games that make you sink to the bottom. Then add a bunch of content underwater. Easy way to add an extra biome.

Also give me a stick of dynamite that lets me blow up boulders. I have a continent that has a river running through it, but loving river rocks make it a pain in the rear end to take the boat down it, even though if I don’t get stuck it’s objectively faster to take it.

Yea we need blasting!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The fact that those spiral staircase things spawn in the swamp just begs for some ability to sink or dive in water. It's a super bizarre choice to have them just be kind of useless landmarks otherwise.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

rjmccall posted:

Alright, well, day two of Moder somehow went even worse, and now both my main and backup armor are on a mountain in the middle of plains being camped by a dragon who has destroyed my base.

Are you using the hide behind an earthen pillar and shoot it with a thousand arrows method? Slow but effective

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I think reducing the health pools of the bosses for singleplayer after the first or second would go a long way in making those not suck so much. Enough to still have to master the mechanics, but without so much slog- having to stop to repair gear, for example

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.

rjmccall posted:

Been there, fwiw. My multi day solo fight with Moder had me making multiple portals all around the mountain peak so i could come back after he destroyed the others. Went through a bunch of armor but was able to keep retrieving it and trading off between the sets.

Go home and go to bed every nightfall, then come back and resume the fight every morning. He'll regenerate but not as much as will make it a bad idea. Those nightly adds are not worth it.

Besides that, keep kiting and arrowing, alternate fire and stinger arrows. You'll get her eventually

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yeah he's a chill dude too. I've been hanging out with him on his discord and it really is just a passion project for him. Crazy to see how much content one guy has added in just his spare time. He even recruited me to write some of the lore for his dungeon encounters.

Def recommend you check it out. It extends the early game experience which is my fav part of the game.

Is there a way to get more information on the mod? All I can find is what's on his patreon page which is pretty limited.

It looks amazing and I'm willing to pay for it for a couple months for my server, but I need some more details first.

edit: Looks like I should jump on his discord and just ask directly

oXDemosthenesXo fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 4, 2023

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Moder dies really, really fast if you just stab them in the face with a spear.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Moder dies really, really fast if you just stab them in the face with a spear.

Yup. The bow is for keeping up the pressure while they are flying around, but the main damage source is a fully upgraded wolf spear.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

JosephSkunk posted:

Been there, fwiw. My multi day solo fight with Moder had me making multiple portals all around the mountain peak so i could come back after he destroyed the others. Went through a bunch of armor but was able to keep retrieving it and trading off between the sets.

Go home and go to bed every nightfall, then come back and resume the fight every morning. He'll regenerate but not as much as will make it a bad idea. Those nightly adds are not worth it.

Besides that, keep kiting and arrowing, alternate fire and stinger arrows. You'll get her eventually

The fight with Moder is longer than it needs to be by half, but I've never had it take anywhere near that long or require breaks to make repairs. I usually bring a spare bow, but, like nearly all of the other bosses, you're not really supposed to plink away with arrows from a safe distance.

Moder is far more vulnerable to melee attacks and, if you can parry and/or roll effectively, can probably be beaten in ten or fifteen minutes with a spear. It's really easy to stay away from her head because her pathfinding is so bad and she telegraphs her attacks and/or locks her position when she starts them.

Yagluth, on the other hand, is a complete mystery to me solo and I usually stop playing there since there was previously no real benefit to killing it.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Is there a way to get more information on the mod? All I can find is what's on his patreon page which is pretty limited.

It looks amazing and I'm willing to pay for it for a couple months for my server, but I need some more details first.

edit: Looks like I should jump on his discord and just ask directly

Yep, join us on the discord. He's very good about responding to bugs and feature requests and the little community overall is very chill.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5c6N79pXzE

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Getting my gear back ended up being way easier than I thought. I had some troll leather still lying around, and fortunately deathsquitos are still one-shot by a bronze sword, so as long as I got the timing right I was fine getting to the mountains. And I had enough silver to make an extra wolf cape. So I hacked through a few wolves, dodged a few shots, and looted everything important off my body while Moder was on the ground. She was back to 100% by the time I came back ready to fight, but the corpse run had lured her down the mountain a bit, and I think that made her a lot easier — most of the problem last night was that she was in such a spawntastic place that even during the day I was constantly fending off new drakes and getting ganked by golems.

I slashed her in the face as much as I could, but that was tough on the side of the mountain, because she kept perching on outcroppings that took most of my stamina just to safely get up to. So it was a lot of sword and bow.

There was a scroll in one of the mountain caves suggesting to use a spear, but she didn’t seem particularly vulnerable to that, and honestly spearfighting is a huge pain.

Anyway, I’m doing a celebratory rebuild of that stone tower she wrecked into a needlessly large castle. Which the golems can still take apart in a few seconds, lol

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Random complaint: I wish enemy attacks against buildings used a little more physics. It’s fine that golems can beat their way through a stone wall, but they should have to actually destroy the wall before they can damage stuff on the other side. I just think a stone wall should give me a little time to react.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

imo only "siege" enemies like trolls should damage structures at all, others should only be able to attack furniture. boats should be impervious to anything except sea snakes

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Mods in this game are interesting. So far my favorite interaction is when Precision Rotate stops working if 3+ players are on the server. Soon as we dropped down to 2 players it was up and running again. Oh, and when you toggle it on/off the message goes out to everyone in the upper-left.

Mass Farming works like a champ though. Saves time, does a grid without yelling about it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dont think i've had issues with precision rotate on my server with 3-5 people on. We do have the message pop up for everyone though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Shibawanko posted:

imo only "siege" enemies like trolls should damage structures at all, others should only be able to attack furniture. boats should be impervious to anything except sea snakes

It sucks rear end that the safest way to keep a boat is to dock it down the coast away from your house/compound/fort/whatever or else it will constantly be attacked by swimming greydwarves and poo poo.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Kanos posted:

It sucks rear end that the safest way to keep a boat is to dock it down the coast away from your house/compound/fort/whatever or else it will constantly be attacked by swimming greydwarves and poo poo.

The best way to keep a boat safe is in bits, in a chest.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
After some thought and discussion with friends, I think attack/siege/raid events are completely backwards.

Presumably they're meant to be a mechanical complication to how you build, but the game's AI and spawning systems aren't remotely good enough to make base fortification interesting. They're typically not very dangerous, but they're tedious and like to wreck your architecture. It ends up being a miserable process, especially since the foolproof method of keeping your buildings safe (terrain modification) is a performance sink.

No, I'm beginning to think that raids should come after you only when you're away from a base. Think wandering into random patrols in the wild rather than a bunch of stuff spawning around (or inside because the spawn algorithm is obnoxious) your walls. You already care about the geography of anywhere you build, by definition, but there's little reason to care about anything but the most extreme terrain features when you're traveling. If attacks happened only when away from home, you'd both have more reason to care about your surroundings and reason to establish more bases (islands of safety) while traveling.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 5, 2023

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think there is one raid that can happen anywhere? "You are being hunted"?

In some cases it can be sort of fun having to fortify your base with walls and spikes, but it's much less fun when drakes start showing up and require you to keep all your boars in a barn.

Or having to deal with a troll destroying a large swath of your ramparts/walkways/etc.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

I think there is one raid that can happen anywhere? "You are being hunted"?

Yes, the wolves that hunt you down. I'm not sure if it's "anywhere" but I've had it happen seemingly in random locations when I'm away from my base.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I seem to end up with a couple hundred carapaces and seeker meat relative to refined eitr. I guess I need to bite the bullet and just sail a bunch of black metal to my mistlands base as there's no plains attached to where I chose to build (many many infested mines though).

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Sand Monster posted:

Yes, the wolves that hunt you down. I'm not sure if it's "anywhere" but I've had it happen seemingly in random locations when I'm away from my base.

I've seen it happen out on the ocean before, so they're at least pretty persistent.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
In my recent playthrough I got attacked by the drake raid while nowhere near an actual base, but I was vaguely in the vicinity of a big firepit I had built around a greydwarf spawner to passively farm eyes, so that might have counted as a structure for the purposes of raid generation.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Molybdenum posted:

I seem to end up with a couple hundred carapaces and seeker meat relative to refined eitr. I guess I need to bite the bullet and just sail a bunch of black metal to my mistlands base as there's no plains attached to where I chose to build (many many infested mines though).

You do need to bring in 5 black metal per sap extractor, and for efficient black marble (disassembly) you also need 2 iron (which can be procured onsite) for a stonecutter, but that's about the extent of it. Maybe 6 copper (also procured onsite) for a forge if you also want easy disassembly of those items.

Everything else can either be portaled elsewhere or - sap/dvergr extractor - wouldn't do you any good to take out of the mistlands anyway. Notably the sap itself, along with the soft tissue and refined eitr it relates to, is portal-friendly.

Now yes, if you're making a full-on base in the mistlands then you'll need to bring in whatever other non-local materials are needed to make the base structures you want, but that's true for anywhere you're making a proper base.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Is there a worse feeling in the game than building an elaborate structure and getting it all situated and decorated, then realizing you want to make it a tiny bit wider?

E: I've made my peace with it since but that was frustrating for a second there.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 6, 2023

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Spent basically the whole weekend playing. Got my first little shipment of black metal home, and then the horde generously left a few shards as a tip for slaughtering my pigs. I’m a little surprised at how little actually uses it so far, like no weapons or armor besides a shield. I’m probably just missing an enabling ingredient or two; don’t tell me what (I bet it’s from yaks). Mined three extra silver veins, so now everything at that tier is fully upgraded. Built all the crafting stations that the Dragon Tears enabled. Off to the plains for real. I guess there isn’t really a hard unlock this time, unless bread is way more powerful than I’m expecting.

I thing Yag and Moder are on the same continent. At least, I sailed right past something that sure looked like an altar on the way back. My world turns out to be mostly a few huge continents. I actually still haven’t fully mapped the coast of my starting island, because the last time I tried I was in a karve and still too traumatized by eels and sea serpents to want to go as far north as it seems to stretch. Whereas now I went exploring and caught my first glimpse of mistlands (and immediately noped the hell out of there).

If I ever start fresh, I need to scout port sites better. I keep building ports in what turns out to be the innermost point of an inlet that I’ll have to sail in and out of constantly. In my defense, I’m not sure I had much choice this time, because I definitely wasn’t ready to build a base in the plains when I came here, and the swamp seems bad for bases, and this little patch of forest at the base of an inlet trapped between biomes is looking like it might be the only bit on the whole continent.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
For anyone contemplating a fresh start, give Krump's mod a look. He's adding voiceover lore, dungeons, and new mobs to the biomes and it's going to be pretty sick when he's got more progress under his belt.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

rjmccall posted:

Spent basically the whole weekend playing. Got my first little shipment of black metal home, and then the horde generously left a few shards as a tip for slaughtering my pigs. I’m a little surprised at how little actually uses it so far, like no weapons or armor besides a shield. I’m probably just missing an enabling ingredient or two; don’t tell me what (I bet it’s from yaks). Mined three extra silver veins, so now everything at that tier is fully upgraded. Built all the crafting stations that the Dragon Tears enabled. Off to the plains for real. I guess there isn’t really a hard unlock this time, unless bread is way more powerful than I’m expecting.

I thing Yag and Moder are on the same continent. At least, I sailed right past something that sure looked like an altar on the way back. My world turns out to be mostly a few huge continents. I actually still haven’t fully mapped the coast of my starting island, because the last time I tried I was in a karve and still too traumatized by eels and sea serpents to want to go as far north as it seems to stretch. Whereas now I went exploring and caught my first glimpse of mistlands (and immediately noped the hell out of there).

If I ever start fresh, I need to scout port sites better. I keep building ports in what turns out to be the innermost point of an inlet that I’ll have to sail in and out of constantly. In my defense, I’m not sure I had much choice this time, because I definitely wasn’t ready to build a base in the plains when I came here, and the swamp seems bad for bases, and this little patch of forest at the base of an inlet trapped between biomes is looking like it might be the only bit on the whole continent.
Would you mind posting your world seed? I like the idea of more huge continents compared to my archipelago

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Ravenfood posted:

Would you mind posting your world seed? I like the idea of more huge continents compared to my archipelago

Sure! kjC0emYJ8h

I built my home at the northwestern tip of the subcontinent across the river to the east, which retrospect is a dumb location both for sailing and for hauling in general. I think I would advise building on the coast southwest of the spawn site, maybe near the lake. That would have great access to both a lot of forest and to some mountains, and the swamp across the sea to the south is very convenient. The downside is that you’d have to sail that stream whenever you wanted to go north, and it’s not very navigable in a longship.

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 6, 2023

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

rjmccall posted:

I’m a little surprised at how little actually uses it so far, like no weapons or armor besides a shield. I’m probably just missing an enabling ingredient or two; don’t tell me what

I won't say what, but you are indeed missing another enabling ingredient. Don't look it up, you'll be fine

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I can't tell if it would be better or worse to enable the recipe for an item when you got some of the ingredients instead of all. Some don't even make sense: why does the iron sledge require a draugr elite trophy?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Is there a way to go back and get a list of everything that just unlocked? The message flashes are not exactly helpful, especially when there’s five pages of them like whenever you unlock a new level of construction material.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

rjmccall posted:

Is there a way to go back and get a list of everything that just unlocked? The message flashes are not exactly helpful, especially when there’s five pages of them like whenever you unlock a new level of construction material.
Sadly no. You're limited to checking your building options through the hammer or the crafting benches. Either a sortable known recipes tab near the compendium and skills (my preference) or at least a "new item" icon that appears until you hover over it, would be really nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Where can I find a mod to increase the map sight/reveal distance? I havent played in forever but I'm sure I used to have one, but I had a quick look on Nexus and couldn't see it.