Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i watched black panther for the first time last night and thought it was a self-serious, bloated mess

missed the first few minutes though, did they explain why the costuming was mostly from east africa but they were speaking xhosa? if it was supposed to be an amalgamation i didn't see much from west africa in the mix

the fur and heavier clothing reminded me of lesotho i guess

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 21:54 on Feb 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

MCU Wakanda is in between Ethiopia and Kenya

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

i say swears online posted:

i watched black panther for the first time last night and thought it was a self-serious, bloated mess

yeah it wasn't very good. way overhyped and extremely lib. that said, michael b jordan was by far the best part of the movie and killed it. like 90% through the movie during focus-testing they were like 'oh poo poo ppl think he's the good guy, lets add him doing something comicalyl over the top evil to go no see he's bad'

i mean it loving ends with like a CIA + wakanda partnership to build means-tested schools in disadvantaged areas

e: to also add, charter schools at that lol

Xaris has issued a correction as of 23:35 on Feb 4, 2023

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

As I like pointing out, at one point the CIA stooge heroically uses a drone to blow up the black revolutionaries

Also the CIA used its official twitter account to promote the movie, lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

McCloud posted:

As I like pointing out, at one point the CIA stooge heroically uses a drone to blow up the black revolutionaries

lol i definitely took note of this. it was weird how bloodless it was, with dead bodies rarely if ever seen even in the most violent parts

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

McCloud posted:

Also the CIA used its official twitter account to promote the movie, lol

god i forgot about that

it's hilarious how tone-deaf, extremely racist, and revisionary it is to make a black-centric movie where the loving CIA is the good guys and partners up to stop evil big black baddie. especially after the horrific devastation that CIA, and even the history of american government, has wrought on both domestic and foreign black communities that are still prevalent even today. it makes me mad just thinking about how lovely the movie is

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

killmonger, like most comic movie villains, was right

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

i say swears online posted:

lol i definitely took note of this. it was weird how bloodless it was, with dead bodies rarely if ever seen even in the most violent parts

That's pretty on brand for the MCU though. They sanitized almost all the violence so it comes of as almost cartoony, and why almost all collateral damage in their movies happens to cars

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

McCloud posted:

That's pretty on brand for the MCU though. They sanitized almost all the violence so it comes of as almost cartoony, and why almost all collateral damage in their movies happens to cars

oh yeah i hadn't considered that, this is my first MCU in years

a character's throat got slit and she just kinda fell down

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Dr. Killjoy posted:

House of Cosby remake starring Bill Cosby

zip zop zoopity bop

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

kids these days don't know nothing about the jazz!

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Pretty sure Barbie is just gonna be the first LEGO movie but with dolls instead of plastic bricks.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the most interesting part of Black Panther the with militant black cadres in various cities throughout the US and Europe that Killmonger is in direct contact with who are ready to roll, they just need some future guns

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

indigi posted:

the most interesting part of Black Panther the with militant black cadres in various cities throughout the US and Europe that Killmonger is in direct contact with who are ready to roll, they just need some future guns

I mean, thinking about it, those black cadres are implied to be evil terrorists for being willing to commit violence to upend a racist and unjust system, instead of just learning to code or whatever the hell that stupid school does. It's doubly insidious considering the history of the actual black panther movement

"In 1969, J. Edgar Hoover, the Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), described the party as "the greatest threat to the internal security of the country."[17][18][19] The FBI sabotaged the party with an illegal and covert counterintelligence program (COINTELPRO) of surveillance, infiltration, perjury, police harassment, all designed to undermine and criminalize the party"

lol

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
jolly wakanda

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/pop_arena/status/1620162638075551744

this one actually sounds pretty logical when you remember the final arc that defeats the yeerks is initiated by their gaining morphing technology which almost immediately prompts a mutiny since the foot soldiers go why the gently caress should i keep living as a perpetually hungry worm monster when the only reason we started this stupid war was to gain access to bodies that dont suck and morphing technology lets us turn into whatever we want

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I watched The Menu and like that the protagonist won via facts and logic

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

the winnie the pooh horror movie turned out to be poo poo lol

shame

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

no way. I can't believe it

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

today my household consisting of two sick parents and one healthy two-year-old held screenings of two separate Winnie the Pooh movies and I am pleased to report that that wasn't one of them

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I do think a horror movie where the villain is, like, psycho Elmo, for which they were able to snag either the real VA or a fantastic imitator, could be cool IMO, but, this was not that movie

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

indigi posted:

no way. I can't believe it

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

they already made a "what if christopher Robin grew up and abandoned pooh" movie not sure they needed a second one much less filtered through the mind of a halfwit middle schooler in a cannibal corpse tshirt

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

psycho Elmo is at best a 2006 newgrounds flash video

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

what if someone made a movie of that Calvin ritalin comic. hosed up

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

did literally any parent in the late 90s understand that by buying the book with a cover of a goofy rear end kid turning into a bee they were buying their child a story about gay centaur aliens that deserted from the army due to cultural prejudice against disability and space aids? lmao animorphs ruled

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Jazerus posted:

did literally any parent in the late 90s understand that by buying the book with a cover of a goofy rear end kid turning into a bee they were buying their child a story about gay centaur aliens that deserted from the army due to cultural prejudice against disability and space aids? lmao animorphs ruled

there was a whole stand dedicated to them at my elementary school book fair lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

indigi posted:

psycho Elmo is at best a 2006 newgrounds flash video

Plenty of all-time horror concepts could also have been newgrounds flash videos :colbert:

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

the scholastic book fair was an amazing thing

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

RandolphCarter posted:

it's where I got my copy of scary stories to tell in the dark, lol

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Buck Wildman posted:

it's where I got my copy of scary stories to tell in the dark, lol

I bought the trilogy of those, with the og nightmare art, for my friends 10 year old. it did not go over well.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

RandolphCarter posted:

Are they still a thing?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

No now they just have Scholastic Look At Your Phone And Twerk Fairs!!!!

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

KomradeX posted:

Are they still a thing?

I hope so

e: yep

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

KomradeX posted:

Are they still a thing?

Absolutely, and with even more ways to contribute.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Jazerus posted:

Hell no. Especially after 39 books (the other is #40) I mean at that point the parents probably thought the books were like Red Dawn with aliens.

Imaging how kids explain things. "There are these kids, and they can turn into a tiger, and they have to fight the evil aliens, who want to turn them into zombies."

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 05:19 on Feb 5, 2023

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
I went inside the scholastic warehouse one time because they were have a sale, it's pretty boring, and well organized, but I was smiling like an idiot the whole time.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The latest Poker Face episode might be the best scripted TV mystery episode of thelast decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

PerniciousKnid posted:

Absolutely, and with even more ways to contribute.

Awesome