Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Rinkles posted:

On the off chance that anyone played Lightning Returns on Game Pass: Any help with getting it to run? It launched fine the first time. But every time afterwards nothing happens after pressing the "Start Game" button in the game launcher. And if I go directly to the game exe, it starts, but perpetually displays "Paused".

The only way around this (this reddit solution isn't helping) seems to be to restart the computer each time I want to play. It runs the first time after a boot, but not on any subsequent launches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

One last round of Humble key cleaning. Please post if you take a key or try and it's already redeemed!

4I05I-MWTHJ-J0ZB9 - Desperados III
TRALA-7BWDK-F388R - Monster Sanctuary
T7G3Y-BL4X6-FR7LR - Planet Zoo
QWEQ6-KIEIT-T8CPA - Gamedec Definitive Edition
M9I7L-73298-RG9PK - SUPERHOT : MIND CONTROL DELETE
TTGFI-TV0TY-T08YA - Crusader Kings III
TQHWC-38B2D-0EN48 - Deathloop
KCRB5-Z5MKP-3BRV0 - Wasteland 3
IBXYR-W7LVL-P0JG4 - TOEM
I3Q9H-CI8Q2-DH2RR - Where the Water Tastes Like Wine
FX0TI-2FMIE-MW2EN - Encased

Anno fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 5, 2023

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Wow thanks! I took Wasteland 3.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I got CK3, thanks.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Anno posted:

TQHWC-38B2D-0EN48 - Deathloop

Took the Deathloop, thank you again!

(How on earth are you getting so many expensive game keys just lying around?)

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Serephina posted:

Took the Deathloop, thank you again!

(How on earth are you getting so many expensive game keys just lying around?)

I am very bad at buying games I want at launch that end up as Humble monthly keys later lol

Also this is like two years worth of keys.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Anno posted:

One last round of Humble key cleaning. Please post if you take a key or try and it's already redeemed!

M9I7L-73298-RG9PK - SUPERHOT : MIND CONTROL DELETE
[

Thank you for Superhot MCD!!! :blessed:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hi-Fi Rush is a fun time, but I'm disappointed that the end boss song is The Perfect Drug instead of something cool & new

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Anno posted:

4I05I-MWTHJ-J0ZB9 - Desperados III

Desperados was already taken :( But thanks for posting!

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Anno posted:

T7G3Y-BL4X6-FR7LR - Planet Zoo

Went for this and it had already been redeemed, thanks anyway!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

I don't think it's supposed to be magical Dark Souls, lol

Just a lovely story based hack and slash which is more about the world and tapping into nostalgia than being some amazing 3rd person action game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

idk maybe good combat isn't the goal but that still looks real fuckin boring

though i appreciate that the troll instant transmissions forward a couple feet at 18s to hit the player, who btw is a wizard that rolls to dodge instead of idk, teleporting? an arcane shield? something vaguely more wizardy than the crapass laspistol he appears to be firing???

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 5, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah, it's not children that are still interested in Harry Potter. It's the man-children.

kids loving love harry potter

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i want a first person game that does magic at least similar to the way Magicka did it, this doesn't exist does it?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Hwurmp posted:

Hi-Fi Rush is a fun time, but I'm disappointed that the end boss song is The Perfect Drug instead of something cool & new

My two complaints about this game:

1) climbing the tower when the elevator is out is too long.

2) for as much as this game is a love letter to FLCL, give me one loving pillows song. I would have screamed if Little Busters or I Think I Can came on for the last section of the boss fight.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

some more demos coming to Next Fest:

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256920352/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1671030380
Holstin (this one looks pretty cool)
Shadows of Doubt
Worldless
Moonstone Island
Verne: The Shape of Fantasy
Full Void
The Star Named Eos
Arcrunner
Greedventory
Dark Envoy (Tower of Time dev)

---

I decided to play a few demos this weekend to clear up some space on my Deck for the wave of new ones to come on Monday.

Decarnation

We're probably not yet at the point where the recently dubbed "Elevated Horror" (what a dumb fuckin name, worse than Roguelite) has a gaming equivalent, but with more mature cracks at horror storytelling in gaming we might get there eventually. Decarnation is about a young woman about to enter her thirties whose life begins to fall apart in her cabaret career, her love life, and her modeling, until she gets an invitation to join a high society art group that will fund her latest show. But that invitation sends her down a dark rabbit hole.

The body horror and twisted imagery are maybe the least conceptually interesting aspects of the game to me as it's been a part of horror gaming for, well, a long time. But it's well done imagery, at least. What interests me is the storytelling itself and the focus on personal relationships and inner turmoil. Like a good horror film, a lot of the prologue is a steady build up of dread, and not from seeing spooky things, but just seeing a character put through turmoil and reaching her lowest point. The demo is a half hour and doesn't really get to the crazy stuff, just showing you the slow burn intro, but I think it's effective. Whether the full game will be good will depend on what the gameplay is like once Gloria is fully in the horror realm, and whether the storytelling can be handled maturely or if it will descend into cheap metaphors and twists.

Also the text is way too loving small.

Curse Crackers

A Gameboy Color-styled action platformer by Colorgrave, a hidden gem developer also responsible for Prodigal, this has you acrobatically leaping around bopping off of enemies and hurling your sidekick around to deal damage or help you reach higher places. Curse Crackers was actually released in 2022 but since nobody has heard of it (only 73 reviews) there's no harm in talking about it with the other demos I played.

The demo seems to be the first world (I try not to play fully through a demo unless the save carries over or its very short), and the feel of the controls are mostly good. The look of the game is ace, as is the music. There's 3 roses to find in each level, and then additional secrets beyond that, like some sort of ancient sword, and letter coins, and getting some of them will really test your movement skills. The level design is a bit too simple for me, think early Kirby game, with mostly locked sidescrolling, but a close-up camera, so there's only maybe 3 'lanes' available for the level design.

What does interest me is the potential secrets, on the overworld map I went through a small gap in world 1 and found a burial site for the swords I'd been finding. In the first world itself there was a little trading outpost with NPCs, a shop and a giant dog. Prodigal was known for having a wider amount of content than just the basic playthrough and this seems similar in that regard.

Gravity Circuit

Another side-scrolling action platformer but in a much slicker package, Gravity Circuit feels like the real deal. It's a Megaman-like but with punching instead of shooting, and a meter that builds up and banks points that you can use to do special more powerful moves. You also have a grappling hook from the very start, and the ability to install modules that give you passive perks or additional abilities such as double jumping. The level design is full of breakable walls and secret rooms with hostages to save, and max upgrades as well.

In design and look it feels like if Joymasher made a Megaman game, but with much tighter controls. The demo has two stages to play in, but playing the first stage alone was enough for me to give it the thumbs up. It feels great and I vibe with it a lot.

Last Vanguard

The one disappointment for me was this Metroidvania set in an unusual setting (for the genre anyway): a world war. It looks kind of cool from screenshots, but it doesn't feel good to play, unfortunately. The jumping feels off, the shooting feels bad, and the animations lack a lot of weight and snappiness that you really need from game animation to supplement the controls. The default movement has no body bounce to it, just moving legs. It's in serious need of polish.

Hot Heat Reset

The look of this game immediately drew my eye with its neon glow and extremely fast gameplay. Think Blitz Breaker cranked up to 11. Wait Blitz Breaker only has 97 reviews on Steam, no one's heard of it. Uhhh okay, think.... those ice-block sliding puzzles where you are locked into the direction you push them? But you're the ice block. And you want to go super fast. And you can plant bombs a tile away from you (some of which you may need to use as a wall to plant and push from before they explode and kill you). It's a simple premise but it works decently and looks like it could be a solid bundle buy in the future.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Sure, they'll teach you magic

but the curriculum has gone to poo poo since they cut all the classes on tumbling, the wizard's true best friend

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Hwurmp posted:

will I be able to poo poo wherever I am and vanish the evidence

Pants of Holding

Also, Encased was taken too.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 5, 2023

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

A long time I played this game Academagia, which was a kind of text based Harry Potter inspired RPG. I made a character who knew hardly any magic and my main skill was being buff. A lot of bullshit wizard nonsense turns out to be easy to deal with if you hurl a hobgoblin into a tree or can just outrun a zombie etc.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Pwnstar posted:

A long time I played this game Academagia, which was a kind of text based Harry Potter inspired RPG. I made a character who knew hardly any magic and my main skill was being buff. A lot of bullshit wizard nonsense turns out to be easy to deal with if you hurl a hobgoblin into a tree or can just outrun a zombie etc.

Academagia is one of a handful of text-based games I enjoyed.

They did a really great job with it. Bobbin's LP https://lparchive.org/Academagia/ was amazing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

some more demos coming to Next Fest:

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256920352/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1671030380
Holstin (this one looks pretty cool)

Another horror game commemorating the dreary greyness of 90s Poland. It's strange to feel nostalgia for something you don't look back on fondly.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Every day, I'm Hostlin

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Aphex- posted:

Is HL Alyx worth playing if you've got an OG Vive? I haven't used the thing in years but I'm tempted to give it a go.

That's what I'm using to play it and it's fine, other than the fact everything is tethered so I have to be mindful of where all the cables are. I tried playing sitting down but it just feels more natural standing up and I can't help but move around a little (sometimes unknowingly a lot!) as I play.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Play posted:

I don't think it's supposed to be magical Dark Souls, lol

Just a lovely story based hack and slash which is more about the world and tapping into nostalgia than being some amazing 3rd person action game.

In this game that features lots of combat, good and fun combat isn't the point? :confused:

Like there are millions of ways to make combat in a game fun and interesting that don't look anything like Dark Souls while also not looking like... whatever janky rear end bullshit is happening in that clip.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
https://twitter.com/wolongofficial/status/1622082587396014080?s=46&t=WhGy7IL0ynFAT8MCPEaypA

Sweet. First demo was console exclusive so I'm excited to check this out. Be advised this will launch on Gamepass so if you plan on playing there, might wanna do the Windows Store version

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The first demo on PS5 was extremely promising and was followed up by a post from the devs where they listed a bunch of specific changes they made to it in response to feedback, which included most of my complaints with it. Wo long (gay bowser) is going to be good.

if saves transfer to the full game I'll actually have to think about what to use though. I just picked earth phase in the first demo without looking into the options much. Hopefully respecs are as freely available as they are in nioh.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 5, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

i want a first person game that does magic at least similar to the way Magicka did it, this doesn't exist does it?

Arx Fatalis is fairly close.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

That's what I'm using to play it and it's fine, other than the fact everything is tethered so I have to be mindful of where all the cables are. I tried playing sitting down but it just feels more natural standing up and I can't help but move around a little (sometimes unknowingly a lot!) as I play.

I'm loving lazy and I just sit in a spinning chair while playing VR. It's good for not accidentally ending up in a laundry hamper or something. I just adjust the height so I don't feel like I'm 4 feet tall.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
So I picked up JETT: The Far Shore (+ Given Time) since I loved Sword and Sworcery back in the day, and I've gotta say, while I dig this game's vibe and the feel and the music and just the weight of anything so far, it's a bit buggy. If you're interested in this one, maybe wait for a few more patches.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 5, 2023

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

The 7th Guest posted:

We're probably not yet at the point where the recently dubbed "Elevated Horror" (what a dumb fuckin name, worse than Roguelite)

Thank you

The 7th Guest posted:

Curse Crackers

This one looks dope, thanks

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

though i appreciate that the troll instant transmissions forward a couple feet at 18s to hit the player

This just made me realize how insanely good a DBZ Souls-like could be

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Why DO the wizards dodge roll instead of having a magic teleport?

fuckin bingo. this one-sentence review says it all.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

why don't they just use the poop-be-gone spell to send the monsters to the poop dimension

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

victrix posted:

The new Spellforce 4x game is basically Age of Wonders, Heroes of Might and Magic, and Master of Magic put in a blender and spit out with a low price tag and high polish. Dig it.

if you were describing it to someone who hasn't played those games...

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

repiv posted:

why don't they just use the poop-be-gone spell to send the monsters to the poop dimension

only works on poop

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Kinda wishful thinking that a Harry Potter game of all things would try do something cooler than magic guns and dodge rolls.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mescal posted:

if you were describing it to someone who hasn't played those games...

4X + small squad tactical combat + RPG

I wrote more words on it over in the 4x thread, it's an odd duck, not a lot of directly comparable games, but its constituent elements are immediately recognizable if you're extremely old familiar with the genres it's pulling from.

It has a pretty slow start, but you could at least see the basics in the refund window if you're curious.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Otoh, is it worth it to get an Index just for HL:Alyx?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

This just made me realize how insanely good a DBZ Souls-like could be

a perennially misused IP

re: Anodyne. is the game added to my acct if i'm on the site and i click the download/add button? itch is kinda hard to use on steamdeck

Ciaphas posted:

magicka 2 seemed coool but i didn't know if i was supposed to understand how combat works or just spray a bunch of poo poo, which would have been fine if i'd had someone to do multiplayer with. it felt awkward playing with keyboard, and comfortable but hard to remember what's what on controller. feels like it was designed for a peripheral that doesn't exist: a MIDI keyboard with a touchpad would make a good controller. speaking of which, there must be a Piano Hero game where you simply play real pieces on a real keyboard; it feels like an obvious next step for that dead genre but activision didn't do it.
I really want to find my old MIDI keyboard and see if I can play a game with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Mr.Acula posted:

Otoh, is it worth it to get an Index just for HL:Alyx?

If you’re opposed to exploring other VR games? No. It’s like buying a console for just one game. Check out some other good stuff, like Beat Saber, Walking Dead Saints & Sinners, Hot Dogs Horseshoes and Hand Grenades, Blade & Sorcery, Compound and so many others as well.

Besides, an Index is overpriced anyway unless you have a good potential setup for base stations. Get a Quest 2 instead.