Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Guillermus posted:

"Inspired by Doom Eternal" Gross

Oh you mean one of the few modern shooters better than TF2, and, in fact, one of the greatest FPS games ever made? :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

oof

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

You OK bro?

https://twitter.com/DUSKdev/status/1621601758068752384?t=jbueEylq4MEObj5SBAq07w&s=19

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

That's my favorite mission, and one of the coolest videogame things ever.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
What is MMS?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Battlefield 2042 was several years later, Battlefield 1 came out during the TF2 launch. Still, Battlefield is huge competition.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I’m guessing modern military shooter

E: Hot take: Dusk is overrated

Eyud fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 4, 2023

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

sigher posted:

Battlefield 2042 was several years later, Battlefield 1 came out during the TF2 launch. Still, Battlefield is huge competition.

Man Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 are both some of my favourite multiplayer shooters and it's wild they came out the same time--even if one effectively doomed the other.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Mordja posted:

Man Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 are both some of my favourite multiplayer shooters and it's wild they came out the same time--even if one effectively doomed the other.

it's wild how stagnant the fps space has been for the last half decade. Apex was the last real step forward (and imo it's success was more that it refined what was currently popular more than that it was particularly groundbreaking. Feels like much of the rest of the industry has been on a downward trajectory since the TF2/BF1 era, too.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Mordja posted:

Oh you mean one of the few modern shooters better than TF2, and, in fact, one of the greatest FPS games ever made? :smug:

I really liked Doom Eternal but that's a big stretch

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mordja posted:

Infinite Warfare that same year, too :monocle:

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Thank you for the update thread. I very much appreciate knowing that Titanfall has been failed again.

Next year I hope we'll be able to celebrate 10 years of hope and disappointment together.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Vanilla mp has been working for me recently. I still get kicked out of the mm lobby sometimes but usually get a game in a minute or two.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

John DiFool posted:

Vanilla mp has been working for me recently. I still get kicked out of the mm lobby sometimes but usually get a game in a minute or two.

Ditto, my friends. Frontier Defence in particular seems to be okay.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
But I wanna play attrition :mad:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

SUNKOS posted:

Titanfall 1 was multiplayer-only and a stupidly huge success, much more than the sequel (TF1 sold 10 million, TF2 couldn't even manage half of that).

That's debatable since the gaming presa and EA just stopped tracking/announcing sales less than a year after TF2 launched.

Field Mousepad posted:

You can. The matchmaking is a little wonky but I just played a game of attrition on PS yesterday. No fooling with settings or anything.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 4, 2023

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Field Mousepad posted:

I was able to get in and finish the one game I tried, so it's at least possible.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Guillermus posted:

I really liked Doom Eternal but that's a big stretch

While not exactly the same, I wonder if Eternal is going to experience a BioShock Infinite style drop off in public perception.

I found Eternal utterly exhilarating at launch and couldn’t get enough of it, but with time in between, I find it an overly-complex and tonally odd game to go back to now.

Titanfall 2’s perception only seems to get stronger, especially regarding the campaign.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yeah, Eternal gives a pretty good first impression but my opinion of it did almost a complete 180 at around the 2/3rds mark of the story.

Even looking at gameplay footage of it nowadays kinda makes me annoyed

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Eternal was okay. I wasn't a fan of the jumping bits and the need to use certain weapons in rotation for required kill time and kill order was annoying.

I get what they were going for, the fights being a puzzle, but do not swat me in the nose, reset it, then tell me no when I don't do it exactly as you expect.

I have the same issue with GTA/RDR2 missions.

Sucks about missing out on a Titanfall game though, loved the second one.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I liked it more than you guys but did it have a big mech that I clomp around in and tells me stuff like "you are outnumbered 3 to 1, suggest aggressive sustained counterfire"? No it does not. The choice seems obvious.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

"Outnumbered 2 to 1, defensive option: Heat Shield"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZX9L5vtcIk

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Speaking of set pieces, this is probably one of my all-time favorite moments in a game. Everything from the iconic “stand by for Titanfall!” to a massive frontal assault with tons of Titans- it’s just so good.

https://youtu.be/UxqW-etfO9Y

Once I finish the Dead Space remake, I’m gonna have to do another TF2 campaign replay. It’s just so good.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Speaking of set pieces, this is probably one of my all-time favorite moments in a game. Everything from the iconic “stand by for Titanfall!” to a massive frontal assault with tons of Titans- it’s just so good.

https://youtu.be/UxqW-etfO9Y
See, this is the exact amount of military in my sci-fi that I think fits the franchise; mecha D-Day is ludicrous but cool, there's just the right amount of tacticool sounding jargon. I'm all but certain that the cancelled Apex shooter would have been full of characters from the BR popping in to say their iconic lines and it just wouldn't have been the same.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

"Outnumbered 2 to 1, defensive option: Heat Shield"

Only 2 to 1? We got this, Scorch.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

More importantly is Frontier Defense actually playable again? Man, I just want some co-op stompy stomp and parkour.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Deakul posted:

More importantly is Frontier Defense actually playable again? Man, I just want some co-op stompy stomp and parkour.

I just tested it on both Playstation and PC (on Steam Deck, lol) and it works fine. So does regular multiplayer. I can't imagine that Xbox is somehow borked while the other two aren't.

The game occasionally times out while matchmaking on both platforms, but if you wait 2 - 3 minutes you will get a match provided you want to play Frontier Defense, Attrition, and even Bounty Hunt. It doesn't look like Pilot v Pilot, Titan Brawl, or Amped Hardpoint are working quite as well - gave me 15 minute match times if I only selected those and I didn't wait it through as I figured I would get hit with a time-out while waiting.

So yes, again, you can play Titanfall 2 multiplayer on PC and console, right now, with no special stuff. No Northstar (although Northstar is extremely cool, but it's also a complete trainwreck for anyone that isn't an elite player), no DDOS attacks, you will infrequently time-out while matchmaking but you can get right back into the queue and get a game in a reasonable amount of time, and the skill curve is 100% good on Frontier Defense (tons of people still playing Easy and Normal games) and mildly skewed towards psychos and pubstompers on Attrition and Bounty Hunt (out of about 10 games over the last week, 3 of them had lobbies where it was a total one-sided stomp to the point that it wasn't fun). Titanfall 2 is still very much alive and still very much rocks.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
If vanilla is mostly up then throwing out an interest check for a game night. Let me know your preferred day/timing. PC

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I just tested it on both Playstation and PC (on Steam Deck, lol) and it works fine. So does regular multiplayer. I can't imagine that Xbox is somehow borked while the other two aren't.

The game occasionally times out while matchmaking on both platforms, but if you wait 2 - 3 minutes you will get a match provided you want to play Frontier Defense, Attrition, and even Bounty Hunt. It doesn't look like Pilot v Pilot, Titan Brawl, or Amped Hardpoint are working quite as well - gave me 15 minute match times if I only selected those and I didn't wait it through as I figured I would get hit with a time-out while waiting.

So yes, again, you can play Titanfall 2 multiplayer on PC and console, right now, with no special stuff. No Northstar (although Northstar is extremely cool, but it's also a complete trainwreck for anyone that isn't an elite player), no DDOS attacks, you will infrequently time-out while matchmaking but you can get right back into the queue and get a game in a reasonable amount of time, and the skill curve is 100% good on Frontier Defense (tons of people still playing Easy and Normal games) and mildly skewed towards psychos and pubstompers on Attrition and Bounty Hunt (out of about 10 games over the last week, 3 of them had lobbies where it was a total one-sided stomp to the point that it wasn't fun). Titanfall 2 is still very much alive and still very much rocks.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer
I can't launch the game, either from Steam or the EA app. It just says there's an issue on their and and I should try again. Anyone else met this (and maybe found a solution)?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I had a very vivid dream that TF3 was announced and I rushed to this thread to post about it, and then when I got to the posting part I couldn't remember what to say and I woke up. :(

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jim DiGriz posted:

I can't launch the game, either from Steam or the EA app. It just says there's an issue on their and and I should try again. Anyone else met this (and maybe found a solution)?

The usual - verify files, reinstall if necessary. It's working on two different rigs for me, so this is 100% a local thing.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I had a very vivid dream that TF3 was announced and I rushed to this thread to post about it, and then when I got to the posting part I couldn't remember what to say and I woke up. :(

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer
Thanks - it's a fresh install, but will go through the motions, maybe something gets shaken to its place.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Jim DiGriz posted:

Thanks - it's a fresh install, but will go through the motions, maybe something gets shaken to its place.

Def. Check steam forums/Reddit if you haven’t already. This is an issue I’ve seen ppl talk about before so there might a solution out there.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The cracks are starting to show in Apex Legends. This season, for the first time ever, they're not introducing a new character. The meta has been extremely bad and they're promising changes, as well as assuring new players that it's a great time to jump in. They've also removed their Arena mode and replaced it with Team Deathmatch, thus blurring the line a bit between TF2 and AL.

Since I am fairly convinced that Apex must die for Titanfall to live, this is going to be interesting.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
When, and if Apex dies I sincerely doubt that means Titanfall will rise again.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Tokubetsu posted:

When, and if Apex dies I sincerely doubt that means Titanfall will rise again.

It is not a guarantee, yeah. I just mean it goe from "no chance" to "slight chance".

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I haven't played Apex since near launch (keep thinking I should get back into it tho), what's wrong with "the meta"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I think the meta is "Battle Royale is stale and boring," something along those lines.