Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

mind the walrus posted:

I describe it unironically as "What if the Avengers were a family of racist Irish New Yorkers?"

Marvel has gone far out of its way to make sure that the official brand line is that The Punisher franchise hates appropriation of the logo by fascists and that the police specifically should not look to him as any sort of model.

And it has zero effect because fascists see coercive force in spite of protest as a noble end unto itself.

Some people are just broken like that.

It's the same thing that leads Paul Ryan to have Rage Against the Machine as his favorite band. They don't actually pay attention to the art they claim to enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Push El Burrito posted:

It's the same thing that leads Paul Ryan to have Rage Against the Machine as his favorite band. They don't actually pay attention to the art they claim to enjoy.

A fair portion of it too is that a lot of people are deluded enough to believe that THEY'RE the plucky rebels going up against the evil empire.

They want the Resistance's theme music, but they also want to wear the Stormtrooper's boots.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Push El Burrito posted:

Actually they do pay attention. A lot. Because my more euphemistic approach didn't work I'll say it more basically:

Fascists LIKE to PURPOSEFULLY co-opt art "wrong" because the very act of RAPING the original intent over protest with their superior brute force appeals to them, that's PART of what makes them fascist.

As always, the cruelty IS the point.

the_steve posted:

A fair portion of it too is that a lot of people are deluded enough to believe that THEY'RE the plucky rebels going up against the evil empire.

They want the Resistance's theme music, but they also want to wear the Stormtrooper's boots.
Also this. Rebellions, regardless of motive, tend to get a more humanizing style, and co-opting and integrating that is smart business for any fascist.

It's actually impressive how they set all that up with the Stormtrooper/First Order crap in the Star Wars sequels and then did absolutely nothing with it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They understand irony as having destabilizing potential. Look at how they co-opt black cultural productions. The first nazi thing I remember from the internet was white kids having a laugh about Lil B by posting about how great he was.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The closest way to rationalize B99 is to imagine that they are a precinct of mythical good (ok, decent) cops. Notably one of them resigns when she sees the size of the systemic issues outside of her own precinct rather than being part of a clearly horrible institution.

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power
The karaoke machine at the bar near my work changes the lyrics to "Some of those that work forces, are the ones who bear crosses"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The goddamn AV Club ran an article during the height of the very justified 2020 rioting to say that while it was obvious to attentive viewers that B99 had actively tried to avoid being copaganda-- much like the producer's prior work "The Office" and "Parks & Rec" it just wanted to be an urban version of creepy parasocial sitcom for lonely drones--all those efforts did was create a weird fantasy where this one precinct is this lone island of virtue in an absolute ocean of virulent garbage.

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 03:28 on Feb 5, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It should have just been a different workplace to begin with, it would lose almost nothing if it was a radionstation or a restaurant or a space station instead of cops

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

well why not posted:

I like how cop shows have Internal Affairs show up and they’re super evil, scummy and unnecessary. Sorry for expecting the police to have some level of standards enforced; I guess? SVU knowingly skirt the rules constantly and are shocked that they’re scrutinised.
Internal affairs and defence lawyers: the worst scum imaginable. Who's worse? The rapist, or worthless, contemptible obstructionist who won't let you beat a confession out of him and then throw him into a pit, never to see sunlight again? Trick question! They both go into the pit!

Schubalts posted:

A cop show where the cops actually do their jobs well and get rid of dangerous idiot cops sounds like a good cop show. Idealistic, competent cops that root out police corruption are universes better than shows that glorify dangerous idiot cops who are allowed to get away with whatever they want.
Nah, it just makes people go "See? This is what good cops are like. And that's most of them probably (I haven't checked and will not check). We just need to root out the few bad apples and everything will be fine."

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Mystery of the week is a good format and people like it. It seems like they could avoid a lot of uncomfortable topics and a sea of well-entrenched competition if networks started making shows about private detectives. P.I.'s still exist, you could get your crime solving comfort food TV, and also have more freedom creatively. Seems like a simple solution to me.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Crowetron posted:

Mystery of the week is a good format and people like it. It seems like they could avoid a lot of uncomfortable topics and a sea of well-entrenched competition if networks started making shows about private detectives. P.I.'s still exist, you could get your crime solving comfort food TV, and also have more freedom creatively. Seems like a simple solution to me.

Time is a flat circle.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

mind the walrus posted:

What if the Avengers

:mad:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Push El Burrito posted:

I think its more because pretty much everybody barely pays attention to lyrics aside from rote memorization so they can sing along to it. Its why songs with ultra-depressing lyrics constantly shows up in inappropriate places. People care about the beat, not the message. Pretty much the only time people care about the lyrics is when they are looking for a reason to call somebody out.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think its more because pretty much everybody barely pays attention to lyrics aside from rote memorization so they can sing along to it. Its why songs with ultra-depressing lyrics constantly shows up in inappropriate places. People care about the beat, not the message. Pretty much the only time people care about the lyrics is when they are looking for a reason to call somebody out.

Semi-Charmed Life is still one of the greatest examples of this phenomena. The public will sing along about extorting their girlfriends for amphetamines if the tune is merry enough! I dunno how many peppy as all hell Vocaloid songs I've listened to over the years and then found out that Hatsune Miku was pouring her heart out about getting bullied in school.

edit: The phenomena itself is kind of wonderful though and adds a lot of depth to music even if it can be misappropriated by weird politicians.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 05:18 on Feb 5, 2023

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Pretty much yeah. Folks can just... like things. There doesn't need to be some great stupidity where they're not aware of the lyrical content of what they're listening to.

My dad is an aerospace engineer who's been a lifelong hardline R voter and RATM has been one of his favorite bands since Evil Empire. He's not dumb (except politically), he absolutely knows that they are extremely anti-everything-he-believes, he knows about all the lyrics and all the stunts they've pulled in concerts as protest and all the inflammatory statements they've made about Bush, but he doesn't care because the music sounds good.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M5-7RbOV9s&t=26s

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ishikabibble posted:

Pretty much yeah. Folks can just... like things. There doesn't need to be some great stupidity where they're not aware of the lyrical content of what they're listening to.

My dad is an aerospace engineer who's been a lifelong hardline R voter and RATM has been one of his favorite bands since Evil Empire. He's not dumb (except politically), he absolutely knows that they are extremely anti-everything-he-believes, he knows about all the lyrics and all the stunts they've pulled in concerts as protest and all the inflammatory statements they've made about Bush, but he doesn't care because the music sounds good.

I think that's all pretty reasonable as long as he doesn't act shocked when Tom Morello expresses an opinion or walk out of a concert because they did Politics at it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Improbable Lobster posted:

It should have just been a different workplace to begin with, it would lose almost nothing if it was a radionstation or a restaurant or a space station instead of cops

And now I really want to find that page with the Deep Space 99 memes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

Much like Parks & Rec it feels like people making it didn't really realize that it's not just quirky workers but people who have a serious effect on the world around them, and once they realized Andre Braugher was on the table--and to be fair, he really anchors the poo poo out of that show-- the whole metajoke about Homicide: Life on the Street made the cop thing seem like a much better idea.

Sucks too because that cast really is the best out of any of those three shows.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CJacobs posted:

Semi-Charmed Life is still one of the greatest examples of this phenomena. The public will sing along about extorting their girlfriends for amphetamines if the tune is merry enough!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSA6pZjoFQg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps03G7WUTXY

(Note the changed lyrics in the Chipmunks cover)

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

More like oldPostSlashAVcombo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

mind the walrus posted:

Much like Parks & Rec it feels like people making it didn't really realize that it's not just quirky workers but people who have a serious effect on the world around them, and once they realized Andre Braugher was on the table--and to be fair, he really anchors the poo poo out of that show-- the whole metajoke about Homicide: Life on the Street made the cop thing seem like a much better idea.

Sucks too because that cast really is the best out of any of those three shows.

I feel like that all ties into the whole End of History liberal mindset that those jobs don't really matter and it's just a more interesting backdrop than a generic office job. Which at least worked alright for 30 Rock, where the joke is that the not-SNL they work on is almost entirely complete garbage that runs on momentum and star power.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I think I brought it up in this very thread, maybe another one, but another reason for copaganda is that in a lot of ways it's arguably the easiest way to do a TV show that is grounded in reality.
Cops are, if you believe their job is to investigate crime and apprehend criminals (lol it's not), essentially professional protagonists. A lot of the thorny details in writing are immediately solved simply by making you main characters cops. Why are they involved in the plot? Because it's their job. Why are people willing to help them or talk to them? Because they are authority figures. Why are they stumbling into a mystery every single week? Because that's their literal job. Why do they get to be armed? 'Cause their cops.

Etc etc. Like if you're a lazy or mediocre writer, making your lead a cop is a godsend. In the past you had private investigators as an option, but that isn't really the same in stories set in the modern day. If you have an episodic series based around some sort crime and want your protagonist to be somehow getting involved every single week, then making them a cop is kind of the simplest and easiest way to go about that.

I'm not for a second denying there is deliberate copaganda, too, Dick Wolf has said as much, and this still doesn't explain stuff like why defense attorneys and IA are villainized and other problemati issues, but yeah. I highly suspect a lot of times the basic impetus for a cop show is simply that it's very easy and solves a lot of basic writing problems and lets you get right down into the stuff you and the audience are more interested in; the characters and the crimes.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Recently re watched A Mighty Wind and it's just as good as I remember. Until the very last scene where they put Harry Shearer In a wig and the whole joke is "haha, this deep voiced man thinks he's a woman." Right up there with a Christmas Story on terms of a perfectly nice movie that fumbles the ball at the last second.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

In the past you had private investigators as an option, but that isn't really the same in stories set in the modern day.

Naw they're still super popular, a lot of them just morphed into amateur enthusiasts like Miss Marples, Jessica Fletcher, podcast hosts, etc.. Sherlock Holmes adaptations are still going strong as well.

You've also got Magnum PI and The Equalizer (both recently rebooted), Monk, Jack Reacher, etc etc etc.. The classic 'Sam Spade' hardboiled noir PIs were just one variation on the genre.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Crowetron posted:

I wish they brought back the format of the first two seasons of Miami Vice where every week was an ultra nihilistic mowing down of wave after wave of cocaine or weapons smugglers in miami by two guys in a Ferrari set to a Phil Collins song

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Naw they're still super popular, a lot of them just morphed into amateur enthusiasts like Miss Marples, Jessica Fletcher, podcast hosts, etc.. Sherlock Holmes adaptations are still going strong as well.

You've also got Magnum PI and The Equalizer (both recently rebooted), Monk, Jack Reacher, etc etc etc.. The classic 'Sam Spade' hardboiled noir PIs were just one variation on the genre.

Huh, nice. Had no idea. I was under the impression PIs these days mostly just did 'I think my wife is cheating on me' and insurance related 'we think this guy is faking the severity of his injuries!' stuff.

But yeah. I still think that at least half the appeal of copaganda, from the POV of the creators, is less ideological and more just practical. That said, it varies from show to show. Blue Bloods is pretty nakedly cryptofascist propaganda in a way that even Law and Order SVU isn't quite. Well, wasn't back when I saw a bit of SVU with my mother in the early aughts, lmao, when the show was still semi-sane. I have no clue what the gently caress SVU is these days besides 'wild'.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Huh, nice. Had no idea. I was under the impression PIs these days mostly just did 'I think my wife is cheating on me' and insurance related 'we think this guy is faking the severity of his injuries!' stuff.

But yeah. I still think that at least half the appeal of copaganda, from the POV of the creators, is less ideological and more just practical. That said, it varies from show to show. Blue Bloods is pretty nakedly cryptofascist propaganda in a way that even Law and Order SVU isn't quite. Well, wasn't back when I saw a bit of SVU with my mother in the early aughts, lmao, when the show was still semi-sane. I have no clue what the gently caress SVU is these days besides 'wild'.

SVU has calmed down a fair bit from “Tonight, Elliot Stabler wrestles a tiger while Capt. Cragen deals with the most special of special victims: a monkey smuggled in a basketball.”

It’s still crazy, but it’s crazy in the sense of normal cop show things again, not “turn on the sun” crazy like it was for awhile there. And it’s bad but it’s still not Blue Bloods bad.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The last really crazy thing I remember from it was the gamergate episode from about 10 years ago. They've done "the long-lost child of a rich family suddenly returns but it's an imposter and they're about to be killed by the other child of the family who secretly killed the missing child and covered it up" three separate times.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And people say the Yakuza games have tone go all over the place.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

That's what real PIs do. And it's what they've always done. PIs in fiction have never been realistic. There has never been a Sherlock Holmes or Philip Marlowe in real life.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Tiggum posted:

There has never been a Sherlock Holmes or Philip Marlowe in real life.

And Chandler was very specific and emphatic about it. I can't remember the quote offhand, but it's something to the effect that even if there ever was a man like Philip Marlowe he wouldn't be doing a job like that, and if he did, it would rapidly turn him into someone different. Also, that he can't know he's a good guy; any virtues he has should only be apparent to the reader, not him.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And people say the Yakuza games have tone go all over the place.

Play them anyway, a brawler with a deep move set, deep sidequests, and hours of good FMV video on the main storyline is a good thing. Yakuza series owns, start with Yakuza Zero. Just the cutscenes from each one would be good media, and they're interactive!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Minstrel shows were also pretty popular in Australia and blackface performances continued for a LONG time. Popular 70s/80s/90s TV variety show Hey Hey It's Saturday used to have the occasional blackface act in their 'Red Faces' amateur talent show segment and when they tried to revive the show in 2009 they brought that back too which did NOT go over well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEtjaZ8ZuNU

I remember when that came out again and there were people trying to defend it on here. Thankfully, even in '09, most folk were telling them to gently caress off.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I liked Jessica Jones because she was a hard-drinking PI who had a fictional reason not to be brutally killed by bad guys at the end of every episode. I mean, she comes close, but *powers*.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Brawnfire posted:

I liked Jessica Jones because she was a hard-drinking PI who had a fictional reason not to be brutally killed by bad guys at the end of every episode. I mean, she comes close, but *powers*.

Bruce Willis was pretty hardboiled in The Last Boyscout but that film is 32 years old so I guess it doesn't count if we're talking about the current state of the genre. :v:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel like that all ties into the whole End of History liberal mindset that those jobs don't really matter and it's just a more interesting backdrop than a generic office job. Which at least worked alright for 30 Rock, where the joke is that the not-SNL they work on is almost entirely complete garbage that runs on momentum and star power.

we've had this discussion before in this thread about Parks and Rec and its literally not even what the show is about. Leslie, Ben, and Chris Treager's whole thing is that the government has impact and often have to get the public to care about the mundane government operations and their impact.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Bruce Willis was pretty hardboiled in The Last Boyscout but that film is 32 years old so I guess it doesn't count if we're talking about the current state of the genre. :v:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

we've had this discussion before in this thread about Parks and Rec and its literally not even what the show is about. Leslie, Ben, and Chris Treager's whole thing is that the government has impact and often have to get the public to care about the mundane government operations and their impact.
That was always the obvious aim, but whether or not it actually succeeded and especially whether or not its legacy is that impression is basically an entirely different subject. The producers have always been candid that-- much like The Office before it-- the show was retooled to be as sickeningly sweet and positive as was possible and more about the audience identification with the characters rather than anything the characters ever did. They've been chasing that whole "I'm a Jim, I'm a Pam, I work with a Dwight and for a Michael" thing from The Office for drat near two decades now.

And in the long run yeah, that's the legacy of the show. You think of Leslie Knope's brand of well-intentioned but presumptuous and overtly insulating Hillary Clinton politicking and not the plots where she was given a bad deal no one could finesse their way out of. You think of Nick Offerman's "idealized" form of Libertarian machismo iconography and one-liners and not the character growth of a guy discovering that no man is an island even if he is one of the few who may be able to successfully live as one. You think of Aziz and Donna and fat Crisp Rat and not even a little of what they do on the show, and that is clearly intentional and by-design.

And that's a reason for mockery/scorn when the entire premise is in-fact also fighting uphill to try and take responsibility for its premise and consistently failing to do so, especially when you factor in the final season being a literal time-jump featuring the characters at greater levels of security/financial success at the exact wrong time in the zeitgeist for that sort-of retreating presentation, even if it does incidentally feel far more genuine/sincere to what the creators/performers actually experience than anything else on the show.

Brooklyn 99 meanwhile doesn't feel nearly as privileged, but it does feature a premise that yeah can't help but drag the performers down under it, to the point where I actually think of how gross the premise of the show is before I even think of the characters or many of the genuinely excellent jokes-- as an aside I think B99 is far and away the funniest actual show of the three.

I AM GRANDO posted:

The last really crazy thing I remember from it was the gamergate episode from about 10 years ago. They've done "the long-lost child of a rich family suddenly returns but it's an imposter and they're about to be killed by the other child of the family who secretly killed the missing child and covered it up" three separate times.

If I were still in my weed phase this would make for a fun stoner marathon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Monk had the protagonist be a guy who had too many mental issues (he had a million phobias and extreme OCD) to still be a cop after his wife died (because she helped him manage them) but he was exceptional at being a detective so he ran a 'PI' business with the help of a caretaker, where he would be hired by the cops to help them whenever a crime was difficult The police chief was his old partner who was fond of him even with how frustrating he could be.