Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
capcom flat out don't know how to code drm into their games. their two biggest franchises of late, monster hunter and resident evil, were a huge mess for world and village respectively

i think one of the things they did with village was to perform a check every time you killed a monster or something insane like that, so it had the most easily reproducible stutter of any game ever

i'm assuming capcom fixed things at least somewhat with rise, but while mhw worked ok iirc, iceborne was a big mess. rise demands so little of your computer that bad drm probably won't be as noticeable as other games

street fighter 6's release should be an interesting to follow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Who is the gamer ant? Gamers want to know

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamergate_(ant)

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

:staredog:

I guess it makes sense, probably same root word as gamete, also pronounced with the soft a.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Magnetic North posted:

:staredog:

I guess it makes sense, probably same root word as gamete, also pronounced with the soft a.

FFXIV had some ant mobs called “gamergate” when the whole thing went down.

In typical Japanese developer fashion they ignored the silly English language stuff and they’re still there.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

e: wrong thread

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/FanlessTech/status/1621428393286811648

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

cooler companies need to bring back pure copper heatsinks

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Has someone misunderstood the concept of thermal mass vs sustained heat?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I was gonna say, you can eventually put enough heat in that to be a problem. Especially since it has low surface area and no way to leverage convection

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I was gonna say, you can eventually put enough heat in that to be a problem. Especially since it has low surface area and no way to leverage convection

Once it gets up to 100C, you just remove and replace it with another copper block

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Once it gets up to 100C, you just remove and replace it with another copper block
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf0VuRG7MN4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssL1DA_K0sI

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 3, 2023

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

mobby_6kl posted:

Zalman never to do all that fraud and die and be reborn as a shambling imposter had they only thought of this.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

I think that’s how they did it in Mass Effect

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I loved my zalman PURE COPPER heatsink. Thing was huge and probably totally unnecessary but my friend and I thought it was the best so that's what we wanted!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I was pretty excited when I found this Thermalright tower

http://thermalright.com/product/true-copper/

But turns out it's pretty old. Aluminum is just such garbage material :(

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

copper heatpipes on aluminum heatsinks are the best combination of heat transfer, weight, and cost. an all copper heatsink the size of a nh-d15 would weigh over 4 kg

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You're saying that like it's a bad thing!

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Bolting my heat sink to the floor joist like God intended.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cracking my motherboard with a pure tungsten heatsink

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Inept posted:

copper heatpipes on aluminum heatsinks are the best combination of heat transfer, weight, and cost. an all copper heatsink the size of a nh-d15 would weigh over 4 kg

it doesn't matter anyway when the heat transfer is already mostly limited by the die itself, at least on current CPUs

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Cracking my motherboard with a pure tungsten heatsink

You make the CPU out of tungsten so it can bear the crushing weight of the copper

Silicon was a mistake.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
dang Dave Plummer's beard turned white over the past couple of years

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-nAnb_kIko

Dr Ian Cutress has made a video about a topic he's been posting about for a few days now. It began with tech news sites reporting that AMD was "undershipping" its products, and alleging that this meant AMD was engaging in price manipulation.

Cutress wants to clarify that "undershipping" has a very specific meaning in finance, and it doesn't mean that.

To recast his analogy/explanation:

let's say you're a retailer, and you sell about 100 units of A Thing every day (to consumers), and you want/like to keep 50 days worth of stock in reserve
that means you keep [100 units-per-day * 50 days = 5,000 units] in stock
it also means that you keep buying 100 units per day, from the manufacturer (that is, AMD), in order to maintain your stock levels
the manufacturer knows this, and so it has its own plans to make sure that it can manufacture enough to keep selling you your 100 units-per-day

then, market conditions change, and consumers start buying less, and now you're only able to sell 75 units per day
that means that, with 5,000 units in stock, you now have 66 days worth of stock in reverse, which is more than the 50 days that you'd like to maintain
and if you keep buying 100 units from the manufacturer every day, you're actually increasing your stock levels even more, because you're buying more units than you're selling
so instead, you start buying fewer units from the manufacturer. Indeed, you'd even buy fewer units than you're selling, in order to bring the stock levels back down to 50 days

that is, if you're selling 75 units per day, but you're only buying 40 units per day as "replenishment", then that's a deficit of (35) units per day, and your stock levels will go down
it would take ~35 days for your stock levels to go from 5,000 units to 3,750 units, which is the stock level you'd need for 50 days of stock, at 75 units sold per day

but, on the manufacturer's side, when they used to be shipping 100 units per day to you, the retailer, now they're only shipping 40 units per day
even after you, the retailer, have re-normalized your stock levels to account for the shift in demand, you'd still only be buying 75 units per day from the manufacturer, which is still less than 100
and that change, is undershipping

it's not price fixing, and it's not price manipulation, because price fixing would be if the retailer wants to buy 100 units from the manufacturer, and the manufacturer refuses to sell them that much, even when they could

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Did get a lol out of tech nerds thinking they'd uncovered some price fixing conspiracy on a publicly traded company's earnings call because they figure they're just like a CES keynote.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Tech news in general seems to be obsessed with the idea that capitalism works like it says in the books, and that if there's a glut of supply it automatically means prices should come down. When in reality that almost never what happens until a company is completely desperate and even then there's a chance they'll just buy back stock so it doesn't look like their products are being devalued publically. See also the idea that just because AMD and Intel GPUs exist that obviously means they're serious competition for Nvidia it needs to care about and not just 2 slightly irritating ants biting the giant's ankles.

Steve had a particularly bad case of this recently when Nvidia spent more time at CES talking about the 4070ti compared to the current consoles, and how since Nvidia's targeting them in their marketing now it obviously means they're competitors and Microsoft need to give a poo poo about what Nvidia's charging for Geforce Now compared to Game Pass.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

njsykora posted:

Tech news in general seems to be obsessed with the idea that capitalism works like it says in the books

Um excuse me, obviously capitalism works perfectly. Only true captains among men, literal titans with iron will and unshakable integrity can become wildly successful. Just look at... Linus Sebastian??

LegitMaan
Mar 10, 2005

Have any tech tubers commented on the faulty Intel 2.5G Ethernet chips on the Z790 boards? I’m returning parts because I’m affected by it and it looks like a widespread issue according to Reddit and various forums but I don’t see anything about it on YouTube.

This is something that bothers me about tech tubers. There’s a lot of hype, benchmarks, b-roll, and performative anger but there’s hardly anything about the day to day experience of these things and issues they may have.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

LegitMaan posted:

Have any tech tubers commented on the faulty Intel 2.5G Ethernet chips on the Z790 boards? I’m returning parts because I’m affected by it and it looks like a widespread issue according to Reddit and various forums but I don’t see anything about it on YouTube.

This is something that bothers me about tech tubers. There’s a lot of hype, benchmarks, b-roll, and performative anger but there’s hardly anything about the day to day experience of these things and issues they may have.

Not the first time so the press is not on it since it's old news(even if on a different revision of the chip). Intel NBASE testing stack is all pro cisco and juniper so interop with cheaper home kit will always find these kind of issues.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also NIC testing isn’t as sexy as showing off the new 4090 or whatever, so they opt for that instead.

Ultimately, like everything in life, we can blame the algorithm

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Finding that kind of thing is also usually a lot of work that generally ends in "yep works fine" so I don't really blame them for wanting to instead spend their working hours on stuff that's likely to generate useful content. The best you can hope for is one of them to take a look once it's making enough noise on reddit/twitter/whatever.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Also NIC testing isn’t as sexy as showing off the new 4090 or whatever, so they opt for that instead.

Ultimately, like everything in life, we can blame the algorithm

Nah, any video where you're showing off a giant failure does great. Just look at GN's popular list.

The thing is that problems that are intensely setup dependent take a *lot* of work to do testing on. Like, no youtubers or reviewers did anything with demonstrations of the AMD USB bug despite that being a known thing. It only caused problems with a small minority of setups, and replicating one of those setups is not easy.

Everything I've heard about 2.5GbE makes it sound like a shitshow where there are some problems for some people no matter what NIC you're using. The intel i225-V was definitely defective in the first revisions, but I don't know where to put the blame on others. Seems to me like the express purpose of 2.5GbE was to be faster than 1GbE but not cost any more. What a surprise, it sucks.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUi37kKdQIU

i knew people were doing it for graphics cards, hadn't considered people swapping heat spreaders

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 16, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Klyith posted:

Everything I've heard about 2.5GbE makes it sound like a shitshow where there are some problems for some people no matter what NIC you're using. The intel i225-V was definitely defective in the first revisions, but I don't know where to put the blame on others. Seems to me like the express purpose of 2.5GbE was to be faster than 1GbE but not cost any more. What a surprise, it sucks.

NBase is perfectly serviceable but i'm confident there are corners being cut on some of the consumer kit like aquantia or realtek, which generate issue on someone following the spec to the letter. If you use cheap stuff all around it works, add more pro kit to the mix and gremlins will appear.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Realtek has a long history of cutting corners, up to and including having PCB-level trace differences between models in the same product, and then subsequently fixing the issues by changing the drivers, without issuing a PCN or notifying anyone else of the change (let alone documenting it in a changelog).

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

My Dell laptop from last year came with 2.5gbe (rltk of some ilk) . When my Internet got upgraded to 1.5gig the router had a 1x 2.5gbe connection, and there's also an iocrest branded Intel i255 pcie card in my nas as well.
Since it seemed like stuff was heading that way, I got one of those 4x Intel i226 sff routers off aliexpress just for the hell of it.

I guess it must be cheap enough for them to include, and simple compared to 10gig. Dunno what happened to 5gbe
Most people don't really need it though, hell even I hardly do. Big numbers are good though eh
I can remember when gigabit was the new hotness lol

Anyway, all manner of 2.5gig stuff and it all seems fine (so far) (ymmv)

Oh, just remembered that I have an m.2 to 2x 2.5gbe, erm, contraption on the way from Ali. No real reason, I just found its existence funny for some reason. Never knew that there was so much stuff you can connect to m.2/msata connections.
I wouldn't be surprised if that is where it all goes wrong tbh

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Adolf Glitter posted:

Oh, just remembered that I have an m.2 to 2x 2.5gbe, erm, contraption on the way from Ali. No real reason, I just found its existence funny for some reason. Never knew that there was so much stuff you can connect to m.2/msata connections.
I wouldn't be surprised if that is where it all goes wrong tbh

M2 is PCIe so nothing special about getting NICs for that format. Delock is particularly famous for weird m2 devices if you want to have a laugh. Like this kit to convert a m.2 gsm modem into a usb one https://www.delock.com/produkt/63166/merkmale.html?g=1089

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
4x PCIe add in card with U.2 Connector -> U.2 to M.2 adapter -> M.2 to x4 pcie slot -> repeat infinitely

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

priznat posted:

4x PCIe add in card with U.2 Connector -> U.2 to M.2 adapter -> M.2 to x4 pcie slot -> repeat infinitely
Eventually the signal will degrade because each of the adapters take a non-zero amount of power.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Eventually the signal will degrade because each of the adapters take a non-zero amount of power.

Redrivers for the pcie and 12V inputs sprinkled in to boost the power! To the moon! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Intros and all the other loving nonsense shouldn't exist in the first place, it's no wonder people are skipping them as soon as they discover they can.

Best example is when you're looking for a deeply technical subject and every single video starts with entire-length-minus-two minutes of intro and vamp before getting into the very basics of the program until finally barely touching on the subject you're genuinely interested in for the final 2 minutes to ensure that the video is over the magic limit to ensure maximum payout.

the classic JaysTwoCents maneuver