Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
That makes sense. I've never gotten a comic graded or slabbed by CGC or anything like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

That makes sense. I've never gotten a comic graded or slabbed by CGC or anything like that.

I did one round of them with my most valuable books, got a 9.8 Amazing Spider-Man 361 that I'm hoping will fund my retirement.

After that if there's a book I have that I was considering getting graded I just flat out bought a graded copy on ebay since it's such a stupid expensive process.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Medullah posted:

People like them signed on the cover because they generally get them graded after signature. Unfortunately signed comics actually hurt the value of a book more often than not because you have to have proof that the creator signed it (COA at a modern convention, I've heard CGC will accept pictures of you with the artist for older stuff).

Otherwise it's a book with writing damage on it. So good for nostalgia

God grading is such a bullshit industry.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I have two signed books that I hope would be worth something but don't really care enough to check to see.
Spawn #9 signed by Gaiman with a nice little Copyright symbol put on by Gaiman.
Saga #3 with BKV and Staples' sig (I have number 1 with their sigs too but I have an Alana sketch drawn by Staples on number 3 too).

This has been my humble brag post.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

jet sanchEz posted:

Good memories

I don't really go out of my way to meet "big" artists, though I get everything I buy from artist alley signed.

I did get an issue of Batgirl signed by Babs Tarr. I keep like 4 comics in each bag and board (just to make looking through my collection easier, not for protection) and she asked if I wanted her to sign all four books. "No, thank you. Just wanted to say hi, don't want to take up your time."

I did get Ben Templesmith to sign/quick sketch in a couple of TPBs. My buddy came over and accidentally knocked over Ben's drink right before he signed my third book, so we quickly helped him clean up and got the gently caress out of there.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I always get so star struck getting my poo poo signed. I have an insane commission collection but always freeze up when asking directly the artist at conventions. Same with getting books signed. I feel like a dweeb with a stack of books no matter how small making small talk with someone I don't know.

I've done some rounds w/cgc, they're mostly fine, it's not as expensive as I thought it would be when I did it but it takes loving forever and I'm never sure if I'm still gonna be living at the same address when they retrun ship. As a poster above said though, unless they saw it or someone they license to witness saw it, it's considered drawing on the cover. Nothing's stopping you from selling it to private collectors tho and if they're willing to accept that the sig is real that's all that matters.

I think CBCS has a service where they authenticate unwitnessed sigs before slabbing tho if you're interested in that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Old man Medullah just misses the days when comic conventions weren't the craziness they are these days and it was easy to walk up to an artist and get signatures and just hang out with them. I remember when Jim Lee came to a Detroit Comic Con in the 90s and was charging something nominal like $20 for an autograph and it was abhorrent heh.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Oh wow, artists charge for autographs now?

What is the cost, roughly?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The only time I have had an artist charge is when they go the first five are free but if you want me to sign 100 comics I'm gonna charge you after the first five.

Claremont charged like five dollars for an autograph a few years back but the money went to some charity. I've never had an artist charge for one or two autographs

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Last time I went to a con Todd Macfarlane was doing autographs for free which was cool of him. Though as a result the line was about 4 hours long so we decided not to

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I remember hearing about Gaiman saying he'd sign an unlimited number of copies of whatever new book he was promoting, but would only sign, like, 1 copy of Sandman. But it seemed to be to keep the lines moving because he'd have hundreds of people lining up.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I think it's more common for the artist to say autographs are free if you buy a book or art, but a few bucks otherwise.

I remember Mike Mignola saying he has people roll up with the full stack of Hellboy OSHCs for him to sign. That seems like a hassle to everyone involved.

I met Sergio Aragones and he signed my first issue of Groo the Wanderer. I told him it helped make me who I am today, and he looked a bit worried.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The worst signing I was at was Mike Alred but that is because he would sign everything and the guy in front of me brought over a hundred items for Alred to sign (I had just one item) waited nearly an hour for him to sign everything for one guy.
Claremont's line went fairly quickly (the five dollar per item thing seems to work)
Mitch Gerard signed five items for free and like five dollars per item after that.
When I saw Gaiman he was doing promo for Anansi Boys and they said there was a four book limit so I got a Sandman trade, 1602 #1 and Spawn #9 signed. I think I have a Terry Pratchett signed book or two as well (humble brag again)

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Artists are more likely not to charge since they usually do healthy business selling prints. Writers are more likely to charge because there's fewer revenue stream options for them at cons usually (what're you gonna do? commission slash fiction from them?). Also decent ones tend to do something like "first 3 books free, after that I'm charging" but some charge off the rip but even then it's like $5 a book.

Then there's "top tier talent" and "delusional psychos" who start at like $20 a signature. Steranko fits into both these categories.

Oh yeah, a lot of people will now charge if you're getting poo poo graded even if they don't charge normally which seems very fair.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I remember Adams used to charge but if you buy something from his stand (which was massive) he would sign it for free.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I'm curious if this is true, but I've heard most artists prefer to personalize the signature just because it means its less likely to just get resold.
Even though reselling is never on my mind, this seems weird, just because it's not like they'll ever recognize me if we meet again. I can see where it comes from, but I don't know.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

StumblyWumbly posted:

I'm curious if this is true, but I've heard most artists prefer to personalize the signature just because it means its less likely to just get resold.
Even though reselling is never on my mind, this seems weird, just because it's not like they'll ever recognize me if we meet again. I can see where it comes from, but I don't know.

I've seen people who waive their fee if it's personalized.

Mostly it comes from a place of frustration of understanding that they won't see any more residuals from aftermarket sales of hot books. Like say you created a character that's being used in a movie that's seeing insane numbers at the box office. You already got screwed by the publisher and the studios and now you're getting screwed by the aftermarket because key issues are selling for massive amounts, even more if you sign them. It's the same situation with people who don't charge for signatures unless they're for graded books. It's the one little way you can hop on a train that's being powered by your creativity but leaving you behind.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Charging for signatures as a writer is something I generally don't do, but it usually comes down to context. If I'm doing a signing at a store, then I'm not going to charge anything as that's not really the point- I don't do store signings to make money, I do them to build relationships with retailers, hopefully get some fans hyped and shoot the poo poo about comics for a bit. That said, when I'm in PEI, I'll stop by an online retailer (Mutant Beaver) and sign their stock for a fee- they're in the variant biz, so they can afford it.

I generally feel the same about cons- I don't have much expectation of making money at cons, as I'm not selling prints, commissions or original pages. I can sell copies of my own books, which I sometimes do, but the margins are pretty thin compared to what a pain in the rear end it is to drag them around. Realistically speaking, if I wanted to make money, I'd stay home and write.

Instead, the reason I go to cons is for a free trip to network, hang out with friends I only see at cons, and get the word out there. I usually have a good time meeting fans and signing their books (I still have a fond memory of a tiny kid bringing his beat to poo poo Moon Knights to get signed in Toronto), and if I wasn't signing books I'd be sitting at a table twiddling my thumbs. That said, I may have to institute a limit on books signed or something, because I've severely underestimated how many books people will bring to get signed (and personalized, which takes even more time) and how many times they'll come back with even more stuff, etc. If I was a more popular writer/bigger draw this would probably be something I'd have had in place earlier, but shows are generally pretty chill for me at the moment (I was sat next to Alyssa Wong at NYCC and they had people non stop, they're a machine).

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 6, 2023

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Madkal posted:

The worst signing I was at was Mike Alred but that is because he would sign everything and the guy in front of me brought over a hundred items for Alred to sign (I had just one item) waited nearly an hour for him to sign everything for one guy.

ngl allred is kinda a jerk for not telling this guy to piss off and allowing him to hold everybody up for a literal hour. that's poo poo behavior and shouldn't be rewarded

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I flew home from Reykjavík last night and let me tell you, I was not expecting to see a huge Silver Sable mural in the airport

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That's the Symkarian Air gate

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh gently caress I meant to fly to Syldavia.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I flew home from Reykjavík last night and let me tell you, I was not expecting to see a huge Silver Sable mural in the airport

Reminds me of the local art museum. I walked in for the first time last year and fell in love with the first painting I saw.

Like 24 hours later I realized what was doing it for me.

Warlock!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’ve seen artists charge like three bucks for signatures to at least make some money off the people who want multiple things signed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, I think if you're a creator who's popular enough for large lines you should limit how much stuff you're signing for any specific individual.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I guess I'm thinking more of the non comic guests. You used to be able to walk up to movie and TV celebrities tables and shoot the poo poo with them, but it was generally genre stars and cons weren't too crowded back in the day.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've been guilty of bringing a bunch of books to get signed, but only when there wasn't any line behind me. Keith Giffen signed dozens of books for me less than a decade ago for free, but when I met J.M. DeMatteis in 2019, he was charging around $5 per signature (or was it $10?), so I had to make some choices. When I met Matt Fraction, he was happy to signed about a dozen books, but he asked for donations to the Hero Initiative (and I left $20).

Chris Claremont would only sign one book for free and you had to pay for the rest. Some people brought entire longboxes on dollies, and I brought a few books, but decided at the last minute to just ask him to sign one comic: Marvel Team-Up #74, where Spider-Man met the original Saturday Night Live cast. That one really blew his mind, and he had a great time reminiscing to his handlers and the people in line around us about it. Years later, I got the artist, Bob Hall, to sign that issue too.

But when I met Fabian Nicieza, he was charging to sign copies of New Mutants #98 (the first appearance of Deadpool), but he was overjoyed when I brought him the four issues of his Adventures of Captain America miniseries, which I had already gotten signed by Kevin Maguire as a teenager in the '90s. He said nobody had brought him those to sign in many years -- it was almost all Deadpool fanboys. It seemed like that made his day, especially because I gushed about that miniseries.

Most recently, I met Geoff Johns at an in-store appearance in October, where he and the store were hyping his new Image miniseries, Junkyard Joe. You had to buy a "ticket" in advance, for either $50 for four signatures or $40 for two signatures, but it included Junkyard Joe #1 for free (and he would sign that too), and you could return to the store with the ticket to get Junkyard Joe #2-5 for free as they came out over the next few months (and they would stamp the card for every issue). I wanted him to sign six books, so I paid $90 for both kinds of cards, but I'm ending up with two complete series of Junkyard Joe (with two signed #1s), for what it's worth. I haven't read any of it yet, since #5 comes out next month.

I actually missed a Frank Miller signing at the same store yesterday, because they were asking for $130 for a single signature, and even I can't justify that. I would have loved to get six signatures from him, but even if I could swing the price, I could not have chosen just one.

My list of top creators I still want to meet and get signatures from:
Brian Bendis (met him over 20 years ago, but my favorite works of his had not come out yet)
Mark Waid
Ed Brubaker (a West Coast guy who has never made a Florida appearance)
James Robinson (same)
Mike Allred (same)
Brian K. Vaughan (same)
John Layman (same)
Chip Zdarsky (same, but Canadian)
John Ostrander

As for non-comic guests, my best friend is a lifelong Trekkie as well as a comic fan, and I paid for both of us to get a photo op with William Shatner back in 2016, which meant the world to him. We're going to MegaCon in early April, and we're going to get another photo op with Anson Mount (my favorite Star Trek captain ever). But those are so much more expensive than meeting 99% of comic creators.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 5, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Most of the comics people I'd like to meet are dead.

e: Is Byrne still kicking? I wonder if he'd sign a Destroyer Duck panel with his spine slithering out of his body...

ee: Huh, seems like Aragones, Thomas, and loving Jaffee (at 101 years) are still alive. Byrne isn't even that old - I guess he started young.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 5, 2023

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

site posted:

ngl allred is kinda a jerk for not telling this guy to piss off and allowing him to hold everybody up for a literal hour. that's poo poo behavior and shouldn't be rewarded

I've seen people do the very polite thing of telling the fan they'll happily sign all those books but after everyone else is done so the line keeps moving. That feels like the best compromise for people who will sign anything and everything and people who show up with anything and everything.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

RevKrule posted:

I've seen people do the very polite thing of telling the fan they'll happily sign all those books but after everyone else is done so the line keeps moving. That feels like the best compromise for people who will sign anything and everything and people who show up with anything and everything.

I've literally gotten back in line multiple times for the same creator, bringing out just a few books every time. It's only polite, and I'm always super-gracious.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I saw a Jim Woodring album in a bargain bin for 5€ at the bookstore once. It was an autographed copy with a drawing on the front leaf. I guess he'd been at the store and signed more than were sold, or something, IDK?

I think it was this one:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Most of the comics people I'd like to meet are dead.

e: Is Byrne still kicking? I wonder if he'd sign a Destroyer Duck panel with his spine slithering out of his body...

ee: Huh, seems like Aragones, Thomas, and loving Jaffee (at 101 years) are still alive. Byrne isn't even that old - I guess he started young.

The whole Cogburn thing might just be the most savage jab anyone has taken at someone else in the history of the industry that wasn't literally Hitler

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

The whole Cogburn thing might just be the most savage jab anyone has taken at someone else in the history of the industry that wasn't literally Hitler

loving Jack Kirby drawing the book is just :wth: like it's the same as if Orson Welles played a Transformer or something.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've been guilty of bringing a bunch of books to get signed, but only when there wasn't any line behind me. Keith Giffen signed dozens of books for me less than a decade ago for free, but when I met J.M. DeMatteis in 2019, he was charging around $5 per signature (or was it $10?), so I had to make some choices. When I met Matt Fraction, he was happy to signed about a dozen books, but he asked for donations to the Hero Initiative (and I left $20).

Chris Claremont would only sign one book for free and you had to pay for the rest. Some people brought entire longboxes on dollies, and I brought a few books, but decided at the last minute to just ask him to sign one comic: Marvel Team-Up #74, where Spider-Man met the original Saturday Night Live cast. That one really blew his mind, and he had a great time reminiscing to his handlers and the people in line around us about it. Years later, I got the artist, Bob Hall, to sign that issue too.

But when I met Fabian Nicieza, he was charging to sign copies of New Mutants #98 (the first appearance of Deadpool), but he was overjoyed when I brought him the four issues of his Adventures of Captain America miniseries, which I had already gotten signed by Kevin Maguire as a teenager in the '90s. He said nobody had brought him those to sign in many years -- it was almost all Deadpool fanboys. It seemed like that made his day, especially because I gushed about that miniseries.

Most recently, I met Geoff Johns at an in-store appearance in October, where he and the store were hyping his new Image miniseries, Junkyard Joe. You had to buy a "ticket" in advance, for either $50 for four signatures or $40 for two signatures, but it included Junkyard Joe #1 for free (and he would sign that too), and you could return to the store with the ticket to get Junkyard Joe #2-5 for free as they came out over the next few months (and they would stamp the card for every issue). I wanted him to sign six books, so I paid $90 for both kinds of cards, but I'm ending up with two complete series of Junkyard Joe (with two signed #1s), for what it's worth. I haven't read any of it yet, since #5 comes out next month.

I actually missed a Frank Miller signing at the same store yesterday, because they were asking for $130 for a single signature, and even I can't justify that. I would have loved to get six signatures from him, but even if I could swing the price, I could not have chosen just one.

Brian Bendis (met him over 20 years ago, but my favorite works of his had not come out yet)
Mark Waid
James Robinson (same)
Mike Allred (same)
Brian K. Vaughan (same)
John Layman (same)
John Ostrander

As for non-comic guests, my best friend is a lifelong Trekkie as well as a comic fan, and I paid for both of us to get a photo op with William Shatner back in 2016, which meant the world to him. We're going to MegaCon in early April, and we're going to get another photo op with Anson Mount (my favorite Star Trek captain ever). But those are so much more expensive than meeting 99% of comic creators.
I got a signature from Bendis like 20 years ago on the recently-released Powers Vol. 2. I imagine he's a bit more in-demand these days. Zdarsky did an appearance at a local Barnes & Noble so I got my copy of he first Sex Criminal omni signed, and also got a copy of "Just the Tips" for him to sign, too. I might have a Waid signature somewhere? I also may have continually missed him last time he was at a con I went to.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Mark Waid
James Robinson (same)
Mike Allred (same)
Brian K. Vaughan (same)
John Layman (same)
John Ostrander

Mark Waid was fun. Had him sign JLA: Heavens Ladder because he probably doesn’t get to sign that big rear end book very often, and i feel it’s an underrated story.

Chip was at his first C2E2 with Marvel, and he drew me a Spider-Man head. Said She Hulk would be Howard the Duck’s running mate if he ran for President in 2016.

Didn’t get a signature from Ostrander, but he was fun to talk to right after the New 52 launch.

Dave Gibbons is the best guy to meet. Had a chair on the other side of his table so you could sit down. Never thought I’d get a signature on the dog eared copy of Watchmen I’ve had since I was in high school.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Is Bendis doing much now? A little googling says he's writing Justice League and has some SubStack stuff going on.
He was the busiest guy in comics for a good long time, but it seemed to really drop off after the jump to DC.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I once found a copy of Booster Gold #1 signed by Dan Jurgens in a quarter bin.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I've been trying to find a copy of booster gold #1 and your most has made me frusturated.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

I've been trying to find a copy of booster gold #1 and your most has made me frusturated.

Sorry! If I still had it I’d gladly send it along but it didn’t survive the last purge of my collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Splint Chesthair posted:

Sorry! If I still had it I’d gladly send it along but it didn’t survive the last purge of my collection.

So it could be in a quarter bin somewhere once more...