Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Like with actual home construction, finding lead in inopportune places is always a joy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HolHorsejob posted:

I feel like hydras are exploity but I use them because electrolyzers are incredibly irritating when used as designed. I always end up either:

1. having my O2 output cut because the one tile that outputs gas overpressures every third second

2. having my O2 output cut because I pumped the room down to a pressure where the electrolyzers can run without overpressure, but my gas pumps are constantly pushing incomplete packets

I just build the electrolysers inside a fractionating room, and hook up some logic systems so that the pumps at the top and bottom only operate when their respective gas occupies most of that half of the room and they are at an appropriate pressure. Each end of the room operates independently and if you give them a bit of space and spread out the electrolysers a bit, you end up with plenty of conversion speed of water to o2/h2 and the room is also serviceable with a simple airtight door at the bottom where the oxygen lives, minimal pressure differential if you set the outflow pumps to only activate above say, 1/1.5kg pressure, hydrogen stays contained by virtue of floating up. Maybe add a small sump to catch anything that gets in like a bit of CO2 or whatever.

From there I treat H2 as the main thing to get rid of, by converting it to power as a high priority generator (set to turn on before most other kinds of generator, with a buffer tank to retain some in case I need it) and then oxygen is pumped around as needed. If you still have too much water you can either pump oxygen into space or find some other use for it.

You can genuinely solve a huge number of issues with the appropriate sensors and logic gates.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 18, 2023

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
One thing I discovered is that the first few moments (or more) of an electrolysis machine wind up being....messy. The gasses will be a bit mixed until it all balances out. You just have to wait a bit and maybe deal with fixing your H2 generators until all the stray oxygen gets pumped out. Once it gets going it's fine

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I have a problem

Can you see it?

I did a Francis John.

But he is smart. He puts his in space. But mine is...

...kind of above the bedrooms. I have some space to work with. Natty G storage is in the way. Let's see what I'm trying to contain.

There's a lot of stuff in there.

I've been savescumming like Into the Breach trying to contain this goo. The current plan is to freeze it, break it up into chunks, and carry it out into space to be harmlessly dispersed by rocket exhaust.

Let's see how that works:

The abyssalite is failing. The pressure is too high. I reinforced the walls enough but now it's coming up through the floor.

The pressure inside the Francis hasn't dropped by very much. This has failed.

I don't understand what went wrong. I was just pushing physics to its limits and and manipulating forces I didn't fully understand to obtain Unlimited Power. "Nothing could possibly go wrong!" I'd said. But now it appears that things have gone wrong. Nobody could possibly have forseen this.

OK New Plan:

We're going to dig a tunnel to space.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Someone do the math on how long it will take to cool that down so it solidifies using supercoolant and aquatuners.

Also, 10/10, please keep sharing your progress. I see nothing wrong with the tunnel plan.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
rip 2 those who died

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
So I have no idea why the one diamond tile started getting pressure damage (it had already been replaced here) but it did, and then it broke and dumped petroleum right on the hot rocks below. Through some divine provenance I caught it just in time and I didn't wind up with a room full of superheated sour gas. The automation was all so elegant too, how could this happen to me :negative:

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
박최은

The space tunnel is nearly complete. But the very last step poses a problem.

Two steps away from the Francis is fine.

But if you get any closer than that, you're dead.

It is in fact 23x more radioactive than the center of a running nuclear reactor.

Someone may come to rescue you, they'll take you all the way to a triage cot, but you'll fall out and die on the hospital floor. The absorbed rad dose is just too high. Even with Rad Pills, Lead Suits and a seafood diet, going in there is certain death.

Let's all take a moment to remember all the dupes who found that out the hard way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHAOWLhrxhQ
Whomever gets sent in there to take out the airflow tile is dead. This is unconscionable.

There is no option but to deploy the Space Robots. They don't care about radiation. They don't care about magma. They don't care about anything.

I plugged the holes and tried again.

Once again there is pressure damage.

This appears to be working. Failure no longer results in 295°C liquid nuclear waste dumped into my living quarters. It is headed in the right direction.

Panty Saluter posted:

So I have no idea why the one diamond tile started getting pressure damage (it had already been replaced here) but it did, and then it broke and dumped petroleum right on the hot rocks below. Through some divine provenance I caught it just in time and I didn't wind up with a room full of superheated sour gas. The automation was all so elegant too, how could this happen to me :negative:

I think pressure damage happens when there is a more than 1200kg of liquid in a single tile adjacent to a solid tile which is not backed by at least 2 more tiles. High pressure walls need to be at least 3 tiles thick. I think. Or made of airflow tile. I think you need to lower your fluid pressure or thicken your walls. But nothing looks wrong in that screenshot, other than the damage. Petroleum weighs like 800kg, so you shouldn't be getting that kind of damage. I don't know dude. Something's weird.

SPACE TUNNEL
3rd time is the charm!

4th time. 4th time is the charm! That's what everybody says.

Ok maybe the 3rd time didn't fail exactly, but what was I going to do with all that garbage that didn't make it to space? It's not like robots can build plumbing.

This is exactly the same as version 3 except now there's liquid pumps on the floor.

That's going to have to be something I leave running for a while.

Stay tuned for part 3 of Staring at Ooze.

e:

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 22, 2023

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I agree something is weird because I've built tons of boilers with a single tile width like that, and this is the first to break a block. I can only imagine something backed up when I wasn't looking. Guess we'll see if it happens again! :v:

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Panty Saluter posted:

I agree something is weird because I've built tons of boilers with a single tile width like that, and this is the first to break a block. I can only imagine something backed up when I wasn't looking. Guess we'll see if it happens again! :v:

Remember that when turning oil into petroleum, there is a big difference in how much can be per tile. Oil stacks to 870 kg per tile while petroleum is 740 kg per tile. So if you have a big blob of oil that all converts at the same time there is a big risk of pressure damage. This is part of the reason why you slowly ramp up a petroleum boiler instead of just filling the entire boiling cup from the start.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I'm well aware. The boiler had been running happily for a while when this occurred

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

In that case, I am just going to blame your dupes as they are suicidal destructive assholes.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Sometimes a liquid pouring into another liquid will form a super dense tile and cause pressure damage, but I've only seen that happen with at least 2 other types of liquid present. Something about the other liquids needing more than one tile in order to be displaced. I don't know if that could've happened there.

Pressure mechanics in this game are weird sometimes.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Yeah I'm putting it down to those weird rounding errors that tend to crop up when you're not watching. Alas. Now I need to cool the petroleum because it's over 200C and my plastic is melting into naphtha immediately

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
So yeah, where were we? Boiler seems to be behaving itself, but my presses are running and not making any plastic.

Hm, that's a lot more naphtha than I was trying for. Why is this?

(bottom right) The petroleum got toastier than I wanted so it becomes naphtha as soon as the press consumes it. Lovely.

Let's clear some space. Conventional wisdom is to not bother cooling (most) liquids, but I have a better use for hot petroleum than Instant Naphtha.

Big tank of water and a coupla steam generators. No more naphtha and some energy gets recovered to offset coal usage.

Just about complete. Not pictured (because I forgot to take one more screenshot) is the final product. It works too well. The water wicks all the heat from the petroleum with ease, and even cools slightly between production cycles. Two steam generators was total overkill, which makes sense since two steam generators can keep steel production in check. I'm up to 10 tons of plastic so far and the water is only at 90C. It may not ever boil, or even if it does it might be hard to maintain 125C. That's OK, relatively cool petroleum is all I want for now.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
i think this must have been an alternate pod location world because i don't recall the last time finding the surface took anywhere near this long :pwn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsojYE5zZEE

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
It farts!

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Did you receive a plushy? Mine is sent, but will likely take a while to get here.

How is the quality? How farty is it? And how hard do you need to squeeze to make it fart?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
It's cute! It's well-made! It farts loudly and reliably!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I hope I get mine soon! I've gotten the update but no tracking yet

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I drilled out an igneous/obsidian boulder to make room for a path and when deciding how to cool it off, I thought it would be an ideal location for a geothermal water sieve. The whole area was vacuumed out but it went over like a fart in church when I fired it up.

:negative:

Of course I realized after the hot abyssalite was probably flaking and the ice tempshift plates I threw down probably flashed to steam almost immediately. time for plan b i guess

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Might be enough if you put a aquatuner in the steam chamber (the intended one below the turbines) and just brute force cool down the top area until it stops misbehaving.
Throwing power at problems is the ONI way after all.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I was considering that sort of option, but then I realized: if it wants to be a steam room, let it be a steam room. So I moved the generators to the top of the area in the abyssalite in a nice safe insulated box and it's been chugging away for a number of cycles now pretty happily. I have more clean water than I know what to do with.

I moved some slicksters into the biome next door since it was full of 130C carbon dioxide. I didn't account for them finding their way into the boiler though

:smith: We will honor your memory with delicious barbecue

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
This game had been on my radar for like 3 years, I finally got it on a recent sale and it's fun as hell.

I ended up restarting like 6 times as I made weird mistakes, but I know the bare basics now of power, water, and air.

Some of these other systems are still a mystery, but I look forward to figuring them out.

Dealing with a giant slime biome last game taught me a lot.

Learning to do more with less and planning ahead more each run.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I ended up restarting like 6 times as I made weird mistakes, but I know the bare basics now of power, water, and air.

:sickos:

Yeah this is basically necessary. I probably stuck with my first base too long, but boy howdy did I learn a lot. Another fun thing to do is revisit early bases and "fix" mistakes. At least I think so. Alas, now I no longer have any real dumpster fires left

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
Is there an actual use for ore scrubbers at all beyond wasting time/room/chlorine? I figured for once I'd try to make a sanitizing station + water airlock before breaching a slime biome, and well, that didn't really work because there was just too much slimelung.

Am I better off just using a chlorine airlock?

(and yes I know slime lung is pretty harmless, but it annoys me :v:)

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
It just keeps you from dragging germs into the main base AFAICT. I like using them but they HAVE to be paired with hand washing stations or the dupes just drag germs in anyway

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Falcorum posted:

Is there an actual use for ore scrubbers at all beyond wasting time/room/chlorine? I figured for once I'd try to make a sanitizing station + water airlock before breaching a slime biome, and well, that didn't really work because there was just too much slimelung.

Am I better off just using a chlorine airlock?

(and yes I know slime lung is pretty harmless, but it annoys me :v:)

They will remove germs on both food, and water bottles pulled from pitchers. This is a far better use for them than cleaning bits of sandstone.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Panty Saluter posted:

:sickos:

Yeah this is basically necessary. I probably stuck with my first base too long, but boy howdy did I learn a lot. Another fun thing to do is revisit early bases and "fix" mistakes. At least I think so. Alas, now I no longer have any real dumpster fires left
I restarted because even though I could fix everything it would take a lot of time that I really couldn't afford with the other fires I was putting out.

There is a good amount of tension for me (as a beginner) where I'm doing fine until I ignore something for a bit and then I have to drop everything to fix something that I can tell will soon become an emergency.

I wasn't even playing on survival mode or space until this last seed or 2.

Also I just didn't know what anything required at first until I placed it, so it was all sub optimal and really should have been part of my grand plan from the beginning instead of hacked in ineligently.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Don't grand plan anything before cycle 500ish, unless that plan is that everything apart from the biggest machines (oxygen/cooling) is temporary!
I do keep the nature reserve I always make near the start wherever there's a convenient bunch of 4 wild plants, but early rooms for the dupes will be replaced by a deluxe climate controlled apartment complex, usually closer to space. But that's only worth considering once you have renewable food, air, power and cooling sorted.
I like to think of it in terms of catastrophe curves. When you start, food is the first thing that will kill you, there's oxylite and algae for easy oxygen. Once you get mealwood farms running then you get a breather from that to deal with oxygen/power, then you start having temp issues which can be staved off by improving the food to temperature insensitive ones (like bog buckets or ranching or something) which buys you more time. Then you need to upgrade the earlier stuff, maybe tame geysers and start on renewable water (as everything stems from that). After all that(!) you can start planning forever base stuff (industry area, farm area, power gen, living area) based on geyser positions for example, and just stomp over the early stuff.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Coming back to SO! and I can see why I haven't stuck with it before. The research tree and sheer amount of resources to get anything done are pretty overwhelming. I'm reviving a pretty well developed base now and digging into rocketry.

I guess the big thing is how do y'all manage multiple asteroids and rockets? Having to jump between things all the time is kind of stressful lol.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Has anyone tried a seed generator recently? When I try to choose a seed from Tools Not Included for a 'normal' world, it keeps making a different world (usually by forcing a seed name to change a single letter)

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Samovar posted:

Has anyone tried a seed generator recently? When I try to choose a seed from Tools Not Included for a 'normal' world, it keeps making a different world (usually by forcing a seed name to change a single letter)

I don't have an answer but your post made me think of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV53mhpc1Ww

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Panty Saluter posted:

Coming back to SO! and I can see why I haven't stuck with it before. The research tree and sheer amount of resources to get anything done are pretty overwhelming. I'm reviving a pretty well developed base now and digging into rocketry.

I guess the big thing is how do y'all manage multiple asteroids and rockets? Having to jump between things all the time is kind of stressful lol.

I have my main base and the second one work together. Depending on start, one will be the main-main base (8+ dupes) with maybe 4-5 on the other to get resources flowing. Far asteroids are either raids (space materials), or a long term build crew of 3 who can last ~100 cycles on a full fridge of berry sludge and 20t of oxylite.
For metal asteroid, this will aim to be an autonomous machine to cool the metal and shoot it back home (2 wild planted wheezeworts under a door-roof up in space should get enough rads to shoot 1/2 times a cycle. More complex bases (resin) can be planned to have a dupe or three if there's a water source of some kind.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
That makes sense. I already have one shut down aux asteroid on this game. So basically run everything from "home" as much as you can.

I'm also taking my time on this save. In the past I've raced to do new things, which is fun but unstable for more than a few cycles.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

So I just made it out into space and built some solar panels. Things were great until the heat I forgot about built up and broke all the batteries. After great effort I set up a crude oil cooling loop going through the battery bank, but it looks like it isn't working at all. The oil in the pipes barely changes temp, and the batteries are only increasing in temperature despite the pipe behind them having subzero oil. What am I doing wrong? This works inside my base.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
You need a transfer medium. In the base the gas couples the buildings so you get heat transfer. In a vacuum you get no transfer. You can either drywall and leave a little liquid on the floor or you can use the fancy new radiator thingers they added

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I noticed yesterday that a big pool of polluted water appeared to evaporate over time. At least the level is dropping very noticeably, and there’s no pitcher pump (or liquid pump) in it. One pacu. It’s offgassing constantly.

Is this something new, or have I just not noticed it in thousands of hours?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Always been like that, offgassing depletes polluted water into pO2 just like oxylite into O2. It's usually slow enough from big enough pools that you don't notice.

Big Mad Drongo fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Is there a guide to rockets that is worth a drat in 2023? I've always gotten to the rocketry stage and then lose interest because I don't know exactly what I'm supposed to do to make an efficient rocket and most of the content I find is outdated or really poorly thrown together. How do rocket?? Plz he:lp