Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

carry on then posted:

Car buying-adjacent question: I'm coming to the end of my car note and thinking about paying the whole thing off this month and the process seems...rickety? They apparently just want me to mail a check for the amount in the payoff quote to an address. It doesn't seem to say there's a form to fill out or even something to write on the check. Is that really how it usually goes? Any tips to make blindly mailing a $3500 check to some address in Texas less risky?

This is with Hyundai Motor Finance if that matters.

just add them as a Payee to your online bank account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Yep. Then they send you a paid off letter that is really easy to forge which can be used at the motor vehicle department to remove the lien from the title.

Better to do this sooner rather than later, as those letters can be easy to lose, and you don't want to have to try and fix it last minute if/when you ever want to sell the car.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Rofl. One of the other dealerships I contacted previously contacted me back. They had a car in transit that was spoken for when I originally called them. Apparently that buyer backed out and so they contacted me offering me a “deal” that was still $3k more than the car I have reserved.

This dealership would be more convenient as it’s only 45 minutes away from me vs 3 hours. When I told them that I was interested but only if they were able to match or beat the dealer I’m working with, they got pissy and nearly called me a liar about the situation. Now THAT is what I expect of car salespeople.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Mordiceius posted:

Rofl. One of the other dealerships I contacted previously contacted me back. They had a car in transit that was spoken for when I originally called them. Apparently that buyer backed out and so they contacted me offering me a “deal” that was still $3k more than the car I have reserved.

This dealership would be more convenient as it’s only 45 minutes away from me vs 3 hours. When I told them that I was interested but only if they were able to match or beat the dealer I’m working with, they got pissy and nearly called me a liar about the situation. Now THAT is what I expect of car salespeople.

Now you've got leverage. I know you said you didn't want to try to negotiate, but you've got a good opportunity. And if it doesn't work out, you can still go with your original option, no loss to you.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bank posted:

Yep. Then they send you a paid off letter that is really easy to forge which can be used at the motor vehicle department to remove the lien from the title.

Better to do this sooner rather than later, as those letters can be easy to lose, and you don't want to have to try and fix it last minute if/when you ever want to sell the car.

Every time I've paid off a car, my credit union sends me a new title in the mail and I don't have to do squat. Is that not typical?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

KillHour posted:

Every time I've paid off a car, my credit union sends me a new title in the mail and I don't have to do squat. Is that not typical?

Ya same. And then as a courtesy I let my insurance know there is no more lien on the car.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

KillHour posted:

I guess it depends then? The last time I did this was with Toyota Financial Services. I paid it off, they sent me a letter saying it's paid off, and it included a separate page telling me I had to go to the motor vehicle office to get a new title myself.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I believe it depends on the state.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

literally this big posted:

Now you've got leverage. I know you said you didn't want to try to negotiate, but you've got a good opportunity. And if it doesn't work out, you can still go with your original option, no loss to you.

Hah. That offer ended up falling through. He gave up when he realized he couldn't bully me. He kept telling me that I had to be wrong because the website for the other dealership didn't have an XLE-trim listed as available (because they pulled it from their site to hold it for me until the weekend). Then I when I explained that it wasn't there because I reserved it, he then told me that they were swindling me and actually selling me an LE and going to leverage dealership fees on me once I arrived. Eventually, I told him that he could either beat the deal the other dealership was offering or I wasn't interested and he stopped responding.

If you want to see how the conversation went down - https://imgur.com/a/ioBCA1T

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Internet Explorer posted:

It does in fact depend on the state. If possible, the (former) lienholder will mail you the title.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

Big time.

In PA you don't (didn't? may have changed) even get a title when there is a lien on it - the lienholder gets it. When you pay it off you get a clean title in the mail a few weeks later directly from the state.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

AZ is doing its damnedest to move away from paper titles. In the past when I've financed a vehicle and paid it off, I've been mailed the paper title by the lender. Now, they just mark it in their system as "lien satisfied" and I only get a physical title if I request one from the state.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

I’m in the middle of a lease takeover and just want to make sure I’m reading this doc right. I’ve got 7 payments left at $289/month and the buyout price at the end is $20,690.80. It seems like this lease was a terrible deal for the original owner since they put $10k down, but any red flags on my side?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

2021 Chevy Bolts look to be going for $29k so paying what, $23k for one? Thats not a terrible deal.

How many miles are on it? You see the $.25/mile over 36000?
Do you have the service documentation for the car? Call the dealer and see if they lease holder was taking it in?
Miles on the tires?
Any late payments you'll have to take over? TTL fees you'll have to pay?

God what a horrible lease. Look at this lease people, this is why you shouldn't lease. $41500 for a Chevy Bolt.

Edit apparently this is a good lease? I thought that was their trade in value.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 4, 2023

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

ScooterMcTiny posted:

I’m in the middle of a lease takeover and just want to make sure I’m reading this doc right. I’ve got 7 payments left at $289/month and the buyout price at the end is $20,690.80. It seems like this lease was a terrible deal for the original owner since they put $10k down, but any red flags on my side?

It was a $10.25k rebate.

edit:

Mustache Ride posted:

God what a horrible lease. Look at this lease people, this is why you shouldn't lease. $41500 for a Chevy Bolt.

They paid $37.5k for the car, got a $10k rebate... if anything it looks like they got hosed on the money factor but I'd say it's not the worst.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 3, 2023

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

TheWevel posted:

It was a $10.5k rebate.

Correct, Box B shows a 10,250 dollar rebate/credit of some sort. No reasonable person puts 10K down on a lease. I never put anything down on a lease. First months payment that is it.

Lease looks straightforward. Are you planning on buying the car at the end? If you do not, you'll need to pay the disposition fee of 395 when you turn the car back in.

The buyout price is 20,690 as you see. If you buy it you'll probably be paying sales tax on that amount, plus a smattering of fees from the dealer to handle all the paperwork etc. I'd expect it to be around 23K all said and done.

Not a bad lease really, the original person drove it for 29 months for 8300 bucks total. No idea why they're giving up the lease though as the car is worth more than the buyout.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It's probably the equivilant of the federal/state/local EV tax credit? The consumer only gets it if he owns the car but in this and many cases the leasing company gets it and passes it on to the consumer.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

It's probably the equivilant of the federal/state/local EV tax credit? The consumer only gets it if he owns the car but in this and many cases the leasing company gets it and passes it on to the consumer.

Maybe, but Chevy dealers were throwing crazy cash on the hoods of Bolts in 2020/early 2021. Like after the tax credits, getting one for about half of MSRP.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Throatwarbler posted:

Chevrolet lost the tax rebate so they did heavy lease cash on the Bolts in 2020.

skipdogg posted:

No idea why they're giving up the lease though as the car is worth more than the buyout.

If it's through GM Financial the current lessee would probably have to buy it out and then sell it... surprised they're allowing a lease transfer TBH.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm calculating the interest rate/APR of the lease at 1.2% or so. The rent charge (interest) on the lease is only 917.78. Not a bad lease at all.

Here in TX we have to pay sales tax on the entire net cap cost of the vehicle up front, which at 6.25% can suck and make leasing much less attractive. Technically the lessor has to pay it, but they usually pass those costs on to the lessee.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Ode to my 2005 Honda Pilot

I bought it in 2017 for 5.5k with 90k on the ODO. I knew there were transmission issues with this generation, but this one didn't have any at the time and I had the fluid drain/filled pretty routinely. It took our family to the snow several times, and its the first car I ever put snow cables on. It helped us with our most recent move, and died on the highway a few weeks ago due to a failing torque converter. The rest of the transmission likely burnt up, and it just wasn't worth fixing anymore. I just had the belts changed and a bunch of other work done on it for 2k+ so I'm a bit salty about that, but it is what it is. Had it towed to CarMax and got 1.5k for it. Not a bad ROI considering I had it for almost 6 years and put 40k on it.

After 3 weeks of renting cars and doing a bunch of car research, vowing not to overpay, bought this beaut:

It's a 2023 CX-5 which has been a joy to drive and has a killer interior. I bought it using Costco's auto buying program, which was actually the best deal I could get from dealers around me anyway. It went super smooth other than my bank screwing me over on getting a cashier's check. AWD, seats 5 (not 8 like my old Pilot), and still in white because I have no personality and like the color contrast.

It doesn't have the pep of the turbo, but its good enough for our needs. I'm just happy this car buying headache is over (for now). We have another car that's getting old too, so I might be back soon..

Good luck to those still on the hunt, hopefully this poo poo gets better soon.

Bank fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 4, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Bank posted:

Ode to my 2005 Honda Pilot

I bought it in 2017 for 5.5k with 90k on the ODO. I knew there were transmission issues with this generation, but this one didn't have any at the time and I had the fluid drain/filled pretty routinely. It took our family to the snow several times, and its the first car I ever put snow cables on. It helped us with our most recent move, and died on the highway a few weeks ago due to a failing torque converter. The rest of the transmission likely burnt up, and it just wasn't worth fixing anymore. I just had the belts changed and a bunch of other work done on it for 2k+ so I'm a bit salty about that, but it is what it is. Had it towed to CarMax and got 1.5k for it. Not a bad ROI considering I had it for almost 6 years and put 40k on it.

After 3 weeks of renting cars and doing a bunch of car research, vowing not to overpay, bought this beaut:

It's a 2023 CX-5 which has been a joy to drive and has a killer interior. I bought it using Costco's auto buying program, which was actually the best deal I could get from dealers around me anyway. It went super smooth other than my bank screwing me over on getting a cashier's check. AWD, seats 5 (not 8 like my old Pilot), and still in white because I have no personality and like the color contrast.

It doesn't have the pep of the turbo, but its good enough for our needs. I'm just happy this car buying headache is over (for now). We have another car that's getting old too, so I might be back soon..

Good luck to those still on the hunt, hopefully this poo poo gets better soon.
Nice ride

If you live anywhere that you get snow, salt, ice etc... Get it rust proofed. I don't know about these days, but in the not that distant past, Mazda still hasn't figured out how to rust proof around the rear fenders of their cars.

I recommend a product called "corrosion free".

If you search for that it should come up in the fifew results

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

wesleywillis posted:

Nice ride

If you live anywhere that you get snow, salt, ice etc... Get it rust proofed. I don't know about these days, but in the not that distant past, Mazda still hasn't figured out how to rust proof around the rear fenders of their cars.

I recommend a product called "corrosion free".

If you search for that it should come up in the fifew results

Meh. Gonna differ with you on preference here. Rustproofing by automakers has improved by leaps and bounds in the past 20 or so years, with exceptions.

Unless this vehicle will have an extreme duty cycle, I think additional rustproofing may largely have zero benefit over a typical ownership period.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Perhaps you are right, but every Mazda I see that is rusting, is rusting around the rear fenders first. Maybe they have improved, but I'm seeing currently, second gen Mazda 3s and 6s with uhhhh.... Compromised rear fenders . Not to mention all the older Mazdas that have that.

My first car was a Mazda and though I own Toyota products now I have a soft spot for Mazda products, but they still seem to have issues in that area.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

wesleywillis posted:

Perhaps you are right, but every Mazda I see that is rusting, is rusting around the rear fenders first. Maybe they have improved, but I'm seeing currently, second gen Mazda 3s and 6s with uhhhh.... Compromised rear fenders . Not to mention all the older Mazdas that have that.

Those cars came out 12-15 years ago.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Good point, I'll have to pay attention to newer products.

Still think that the OP should get that poo poo rustproofed if they live in salt land.
Regardless of how good the factory poo poo might be.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Thanks for the heads up, but I'm in California and I think the coldest I've seen it here is 34F. We definitely go up to Tahoe a few times in the winter, but I try to rinse it off once we get home in case they salt/brine the roads.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The low miles cheap to run answer is Prius

Almost a month later and the insurance company finally has the settlement ready for her, is there a comprehensive maintenance schedule for a Prius out there anywhere? I remember when I had my Camry the owner's manual barely had anything. Looks like it's a timing chain so no worry about a belt, she found one where the current owner said it has new struts, brakes, tires, and a replacement hybrid battery in the last year which seems like the three most commonly ignored maintenance items from my experience, and the one big ticket item that I was always worried about when I had my hybrid. It's an '08 with 185k or so miles on it IIRC, so older but also seems like it would be well maintained just going off the ad. Assuming there's not a bad reason he's dumping it after that maintenance. I've told her to have a mechanic look at anything she considers, hopefully she does it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Bank posted:

Thanks for the heads up, but I'm in California and I think the coldest I've seen it here is 34F. We definitely go up to Tahoe a few times in the winter, but I try to rinse it off once we get home in case they salt/brine the roads.

You’ll be fine

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Almost a month later and the insurance company finally has the settlement ready for her, is there a comprehensive maintenance schedule for a Prius out there anywhere? I remember when I had my Camry the owner's manual barely had anything. Looks like it's a timing chain so no worry about a belt, she found one where the current owner said it has new struts, brakes, tires, and a replacement hybrid battery in the last year which seems like the three most commonly ignored maintenance items from my experience, and the one big ticket item that I was always worried about when I had my hybrid. It's an '08 with 185k or so miles on it IIRC, so older but also seems like it would be well maintained just going off the ad. Assuming there's not a bad reason he's dumping it after that maintenance. I've told her to have a mechanic look at anything she considers, hopefully she does it.

See if it ever had the brake booster repair. Otherwise it’s probably good to go. Worthwhile looking for oil change history as some Prius owners are real dumb about that.

There’s a maintenance schedule in the book but all maintenance schedules are going to be a few key items and then “inspect, replace as needed” - they’re not gonna tell you to proactively replace that much stuff.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Picked up our new Corolla today. Wife had 3 hours to vibe with it on our long drive home and her verdict is that she loving loves it.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

Picked up our new Corolla today. Wife had 3 hours to vibe with it on our long drive home and her verdict is that she loving loves it.

Congrats! Happy wife happy life. Should be a great car for a good long while.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Mordiceius posted:

Nice! Any shenanigans at the dealer?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Nice! Any shenanigans at the dealer?

Nope. We were in and out in about 20 minutes. Intensely painless. When signing the final final papers, there were a lot of "do you want this special tire coverage" "do you want special paint coverage" and poo poo like that. But they didn't try to argue when I refused.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Mordiceius posted:

Nope. We were in and out in about 20 minutes. Intensely painless. When signing the final final papers, there were a lot of "do you want this special tire coverage" "do you want special paint coverage" and poo poo like that. But they didn't try to argue when I refused.

You seem to have had about a smooth a transaction as one can hope for. Nice job

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I've got a Prius question. I've also got to apologize, as my Google-Fu is weak on this one.

What's a Prius listed at "Natl?" I'll attach the listing where I found it. I googled and found more like this, but wasn't able to find an explanation as to what "Natl" meant.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/d/portland-2008-toyota-prius-5dr-hb-natl/7585291616.html

If I can get my cash transferred to a real bank in time, I'm very much going to look at a '13 Spark with 110k miles for $4.5k. It was listed at $6k for a while, then dropped. That's in the price territory that I can jump all over, because I'll recoup a couple grand if I sold the old Volvo afterwards. I'd be glad to pay a net of a couple grand to get a ten year old car vs. my twenty-two year old car.

But all my decisions about the Spark would hinge on how easily I can get in and out of it. With leg braces, a car can be automatically disqualified if it's hard for me to enter and exit.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Captain Log posted:

I've got a Prius question. I've also got to apologize, as my Google-Fu is weak on this one.

What's a Prius listed at "Natl?" I'll attach the listing where I found it. I googled and found more like this, but wasn't able to find an explanation as to what "Natl" meant.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/d/portland-2008-toyota-prius-5dr-hb-natl/7585291616.html

If I can get my cash transferred to a real bank in time, I'm very much going to look at a '13 Spark with 110k miles for $4.5k. It was listed at $6k for a while, then dropped. That's in the price territory that I can jump all over, because I'll recoup a couple grand if I sold the old Volvo afterwards. I'd be glad to pay a net of a couple grand to get a ten year old car vs. my twenty-two year old car.

But all my decisions about the Spark would hinge on how easily I can get in and out of it. With leg braces, a car can be automatically disqualified if it's hard for me to enter and exit.
Why don't you ask the seller?

And also, go sit in the car to make sure you're compatible with it. Prius and Spark and pretty low to the ground, it may be an issue for you. Both of my parents upgraded to a small SUV type car just so they don't have to fold down into a regular sedan. So test before you commit to anything. It might be worth going out to carvana/CarMax type dealership where cars are plenty and sales people don't work on commission. You can spend all day just browsing and test fitting cars.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Nitrox posted:

Why don't you ask the seller?

And also, go sit in the car to make sure you're compatible with it. Prius and Spark and pretty low to the ground, it may be an issue for you. Both of my parents upgraded to a small SUV type car just so they don't have to fold down into a regular sedan. So test before you commit to anything. It might be worth going out to carvana/CarMax type dealership where cars are plenty and sales people don't work on commission. You can spend all day just browsing and test fitting cars.

I didn't ask the seller because the "Natl" thing was popping up as an option or model in Google, so I thought I was just being dense and missing something obvious.

Yeah, I'm mostly looking at compact SUVs for the exact reason of leg braces. Mine are below the knee and I'm very mobile. It's just getting "down" into a car is a pain in the rear end. But I read a thread on the forums about a Certified Big Fella with a Spark, who said it fit him well and did excellent in a crash. But yeah, I'm a cautious type who is not at all going to commit to anything before testing something out.

I'm still planning to drive my Volvo until an awesome deal falls in my lap or it explodes. But I'm keeping my feelers out. That Spark at $4.5k falls into the pricing territory of being worth checking out, once my money is in a real bank early Monday or Tuesday.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

See if it ever had the brake booster repair. Otherwise it’s probably good to go. Worthwhile looking for oil change history as some Prius owners are real dumb about that.

There’s a maintenance schedule in the book but all maintenance schedules are going to be a few key items and then “inspect, replace as needed” - they’re not gonna tell you to proactively replace that much stuff.

Yeah, brake actuator should be your only big one with the battery having been done. Transaxle fluid is 100k miles and I think spark plugs are 120k? There's an inverter coolant pump and a coolant flow control valve that like to go bad. They're right next to each other, replace them both if you're doing one because the other will fail right after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Captain Log posted:

Toyota has various designations in US distribution: Natl=National, GS=Gulf States, SE=Southeast. I have no idea why one would prominently advertise what part of the US market this car was destined to be delivered 15 years ago.

I don't know what GS is for, but SE=Jim Moran. He bought the distribution rights for Toyota in the SE region of the US back in the day. (Remember the Toyotathon ad campaign? Yeah, that was him teaching Toyota how to market in the US.) Something similar is probably going on with GS.