Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Countries always have their little secret cat and mouse games - but sending a clearly visible balloon into the air space is a pretty clear gently caress you, you've gotta shoot it down. You don't really have to worry about a shooting war with China because if that starts the food and fuel stops flowing into china and a lot of people would die from famine.

Whipping up a problem to justify pumping billions back into the defense companies is another story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Thinking we need a Dave Growl pupdate

I got you

This was last night at the cabin, I brought my two and he was chillin on the couch

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Skwirl posted:

I feel like there has to be a moment between Alaska and the Atlantic Ocean where you could be pretty drat sure no one would get hit by debris.

I am going to enjoy all the people pretending this is somehow beyond the pale for China to do, as if we don't have satellites continually pointing at China along with regular spy drones flying over them.

Like, how much information could China have gotten from this that I don't have access to from satellite view in Google maps? I guess the military bases have their images scrubbed, but I don't know what nefarious thing China would do with that unless they were planning to launch an attack on American soil, which I'm pretty sure they aren't.

You can’t test air detection capabilities from a satellite, for starters

Really it does seem like a non-issue, they’ve been floating these balloons for years probing air defenses around Alaska. It probably lost communication and was just floating on the wind instead of it being a real provocation by China.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Honest question: is it bad the sushi in a Japanese airport is the best I’ve ever had in my life

Like I thought I’ve been to decent places

Nah, there are some decent restaurants at both Haneda and Narita.

Now when you get around to getting this surprise from sushi from the 7-11… :q:

There’s a fishmonger not far from our place that also has a restaurant attached, and said restaurant is on Uber Eats here. It’s what we’ve gone to of late for delivery sushi orders and it’s pretty incredible.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Joey Freshwater posted:

I got you

This was last night at the cabin, I brought my two and he was chillin on the couch

Oh yeahhhhh

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

FizFashizzle posted:

Honest question: is it bad the sushi in a Japanese airport is the best I’ve ever had in my life

Like I thought I’ve been to decent places
The best sushi you can find in the US, even made by Michelin Starred chefs that were on Iron Chef back in the day, still can't be better than what you can get in Japan because the sushi you get at Narita Airport left the boat THAT DAY. It wasn't frozen solid to ship to the US, that tuna was alive at 5, on the boat at 6, on the table at 10.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The best sushi restaurant in the world is located in a subway station in Tokyo.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiro_Dreams_of_Sushi

And, contrary to what you'd imagine, fresh out of the water fish isn't typically what ends up as top-end sushi, most high end cuts tend to be dry-aged. It's really down to picking the right fish at the market/knowing how to prepare it perfectly that makes for standout sushi. The Jiro documentary mentioned above (on Paramount+ currently, I think) is a really interesting mini-education into top sushi and how it all works.
https://www.thesushigeek.com/the-sushi-geek/2016/02/05/719

https://la.eater.com/2022/11/29/23484311/dry-aged-fish-trend-los-angeles-the-joint-fiish-providence-crudo-e-nudo
Incidentally I've eaten at a couple of these places mentioned in this article in the last month and I can confirm: Their fish is insanely good.

This is Otoro from Shin Sushi which is one of the best Omakase spots in LA at the moment, and I believe the chef said this was aged 28 days.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I won a raffle to buy a bottle of 17 year old Dickel whisky. I probably should’ve passed on it because this thing doesn’t have a ton of resale value, and I’m not a super duper whisky fan to justify spending $300 on whisky.

If I sold it, I could probably profit like $50 on the sale, and I’m not sure if I should just keep it or not. At least I’d have like one really nice whisky laying around if I want to impress someone for some reason.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

I won a raffle to buy a bottle of 17 year old Dickel whisky. I probably should’ve passed on it because this thing doesn’t have a ton of resale value, and I’m not a super duper whisky fan to justify spending $300 on whisky.

If I sold it, I could probably profit like $50 on the sale, and I’m not sure if I should just keep it or not. At least I’d have like one really nice whisky laying around if I want to impress someone for some reason.

I really don’t like any Dickel offering. I didn’t even know they sold a 17 year. I’d just see if you can trade it online for something of similar value or lots of solid lesser value bottles.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I won a raffle to buy a bottle of 17 year old Dickel whisky.

Wait.

You won a raffle ... so you could spend money?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Timby posted:

Wait.

It’s common with hard to get whiskeys. Stores will only get one bottle, so they raffle off the chance to buy it since there’s usually high demand.

No Butt Stuff posted:

I really don’t like any Dickel offering. I didn’t even know they sold a 17 year. I’d just see if you can trade it online for something of similar value or lots of solid lesser value bottles.

Hmm maybe I’ll try to trade it. The 17 year I guess was just started in 2016, but in smaller bottles. This is the first time in 750ml bottles.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 5, 2023

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Timby posted:

Wait.

Yeah its the new sneaky bullshit that's creeping into a lot of things, gotta spend for the access. I'm a bit of a watch nerd and its a lot harder than you would think to buy something like Rolex at launch. Basically if there's a sub culture behind a product as the scarcity goes up you start getting into a pay to play kinda bullshit.

Tryna find some more motivation to do job applications and polish resume today while the anxiety of another work week ahead at a job I hate starts to seep in.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

It’s common with hard to get whiskeys. Stores will only get one bottle, so they raffle off the chance to buy it since there’s usually high demand.

Okay, I get it.

Still odd, but I get it. I guess there's a cheese shop in Wisconsin that's done something similar with its aged cheddar.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

I know a Dickel superfan that'd love it. PM me.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

GD_American posted:

I know a Dickel superfan that'd love it. PM me.

PM sent. Although I don’t know how to ship alcohol across states.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

PM sent. Although I don’t know how to ship alcohol across states.

You don't. "Olive oil" though you just use packing peanuts or those air bladders.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Yeah you wrap the dog piss out of it and say it’s olive oil.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Its Rinaldo posted:

You don't. "Olive oil" though you just use packing peanuts or those air bladders.

Yea. That’s kind of what I figured.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Not being able to taste is weird af and has highlighted how our brains take shortcuts to process our senses. The first bite or drink of something will have the slightest hint of its flavor that’s then frustratingly not there.

It feels like I know the flavors of these things and that causes this brief flavor blip.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Yeah long Covid sucks luckily Covid is over and no one will ever get it again

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
My wife got rear-ended and aggravated a cyst *inside* her spinal column called a syrinx, that we had no idea was there. she had weakness and tingling in her legs for almost week until said weakness caused her to fall and lose all strength in her legs. She spent 3 days in the hospital and has to use a walker for a the next few weeks, and needs to do physical therapy to strengthen her back and thighs to offset the weakness caused by the syrinx as it dissipates, if it dissipates.

When they first outlined it to her on her third day in the hospital, they told her it could possibly lead to a surgery that could lead to paraplegia and there's one guy in northern California who can do it.

Now they believe it's in the set of cases that go away on their own, should she not aggravate it anytime soon.

It's been... A couple weeks.

the woman that hit her has no insurance and no money or assets and the hospital stay wiped out our UMBI to hand over to the health insurance company on their inevitable lien.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dickel rye is inexpensive and tasty, we always have a bottle around.

I consider myself something of a scotch connoisseur and I've never spent more than about $85 or so on a bottle. Someone gave me a bottle once that was probably about a hundred dollars, it was a single-malt single-cask bottled the year I was born which was a neat gift so I appreciated it... but it wasn't categorically better than a top notch $80 scotch.

Most whiskies above maybe $150 or so are either gimmicks, trading on luxury branding only (like Johnny Walker Blue which is a blended whisky lol), or collectible/rare and that last factor has basically nothing to do with how tasty it is to drink. $150 is close to the floor for 30-year scotch, so I'd raise that number to $200 if you're looking for a good very old whisky but honestly 25s and 30s taste about the same, all else being equal.

There's hundreds and hundreds of whiskies and expressions available for under a hundred bucks, and enough more coming out all the time that there just isn't a taste reason to spend more, ever. And that's scotch, which tends to be more expensive than bourbon.

I'm not trying to cast shade on Bird or anything but yeah totally sell that bottle and spend the money on 3 to 5 really nice whiskies you won't feel ripped off for buying when you crack them open and see what they taste like.

e. gotdamn Spoeank, that sucks! I hope she recovers quickly and fully.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 5, 2023

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

dickel the kickel

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Good luck to Mrs. Spoeank. That's, very scary, but it sounds like it might be ok in the end?

This is another scary thing:

https://twitter.com/jxlars/status/1622010477520764928

From what I can tell orange gets down to 77 feet before either someone in the crew sees the other plane or they get waved off by the controller. Then they get on their horse trying to climb. Yellow is going too fast to not take off by this point so they've got to go through with it.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Grittybeard posted:

Good luck to Mrs. Spoeank. That's, very scary, but it sounds like it might be ok in the end?

From what I can tell orange gets down to 77 feet before either someone in the crew sees the other plane or they get waved off by the controller. Then they get on their horse trying to climb. Yellow is going too fast to not take off by this point so they've got to go through with it.

Holy poo poo, that is terrifying. Imagine being one of the pilots and trying to not to panic in that situation

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Spoeank if you guys need to go the Kickstarter route (this loving country), let us know

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

I thought planes didn’t take off and land on the same runway. If that’s true, then someone really really hosed up here. Glad this didn’t happen a few days ago when I was flying out of Austin.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I thought planes didn’t take off and land on the same runway. If that’s true, then someone really really hosed up here. Glad this didn’t happen a few days ago when I was flying out of Austin.

I think runways go both ways at some airports. The early speculation I've seen (there's no reason to trust this totally of course, it just happened and there's no investigation yet) is that Southwest was on the runway and told to roll and knew or should have known FedEx was on a three mile approach to land. Based on air traffic audio which apparently you can just look up and find? So the ATC guys thought SW was already gone.

Anyway three miles should be plenty of time to get out of there and take off if you just go ahead and go, but Southwest for whatever reason did not. There was a lot of fog in the area and ATC guys couldn't visibly see SW was just sitting there. FedEx was clearly given instruction that they were clear to land.

If this is true (again, big if, no investigation yet), ATC guys have some questions to answer, and the Southwest crew has a whole lot more to answer. FedEx will have questions but seems pretty much in the clear since they didn't just plop down on a passenger plane after being told everything was cool.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Spoeank posted:

I'm so sorry and am hoping for the best

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Spoeank posted:

I’m really sorry to hear this what a miserable experience. Especially compounded by any interaction with American healthcare. Hope Mrs Spoeank recovers quickly and fully!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Hope your wife gets better, Spoeank.

Grittybeard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV915yb7oUE

Since there's no football today have this to pass the time:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I’m not an aviation expert but I think runway choices are made by wind direction and weather conditions right? So arriving and departing planes are usually just alternating on the same runways?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

I’m not an aviation expert but I think runway choices are made by wind direction and weather conditions right? So arriving and departing planes are usually just alternating on the same runways?

Someone ping fknlo, he'll know more about this than any of us.

e: done as long as I typed his user name right.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 5, 2023

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

There's usually an active runway that planes use to land and take off, dictated by wind direction. Some airports allow for multiple runways, but it's normal for departure and arrival to be the same runway.

In this case it sounds like visibility was down to 1/8 mile. Tower gave the Southwest aircraft permission to take off and warned them of the FedEx on a 3 mile final (meaning, currently landing and 3 miles out). I saw a couple comments that said SW took a little too long to get their takeoff roll started and once the FedEx plane saw the runway was still occupied they quickly aborted.

Going to be interesting to see what the NTSB comes up with. I'm guessing ATC will have partial blame since they probably should've waved off the FedEx plane when the Southwest one wasn't airborne, but who knows.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

3mi sounds like a lot but assuming an approach speed maybe ~120mph that evaporated in 90seconds.

Probably should’ve had a bit more of a gap with lovely visuals but that SW crew loving around on the runway was really dumb.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Thank you everybody. 🙂 She should be all good and our settlement should include a cut out for our health insurance expenses that the health insurance provider can't touch, so no Kickstarter or anything. I just needed to vent.

She had a doctor's appointment Friday and they did all kinds of nerve tests. Should she not aggravate it, everything should be alright. The "hey you might be paraplegic" followed by "it should go away on its own" was certainly a shock to the system though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spoeank posted:

She had a doctor's appointment Friday and they did all kinds of nerve tests. Should she not aggravate it, everything should be alright. The "hey you might be paraplegic" followed by "it should go away on its own" was certainly a shock to the system though.

That's terrifying but it sounds good so far? Um...don't jar her accidentally if you can help it just in case I'd think.

Probably not the best time to surprise her by tackling her onto the couch.

e: ha, you have a dog that you've noted is an idiot. Be careful about your moron dog too. I'm sure you're way ahead of me here.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 5, 2023

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

LeeMajors posted:

Depends on the airport, but yes. Some places like Denver almost never use the same runway for arrivals and departures but others don't have a choice. I'm not a terminal controller, but from the discussion I've seen the controller hosed up big time and violated several rules. It seems like you can still get a departure out with an aircraft on the 3 mile final but you basically have to tell them hustle or wait and the weather probably has to be above certain minimums. The FedEx is the one that told the Southwest to abort here which is insane. This one was super close and will get a lot of upper level review that won't lead to anything actually happening, especially since most media attention seems to be on the balloon that got shot down.

ATC subreddit discussion here. I can attempt to answer questions about it, but like I said, I'm not a tower flower so I basically do a completely different job from those folks. It looks like a complete gently caress up on the controllers part though.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Spoeank, that's legit scary and I hope your wife is better soon. :ohdear:

Whiskey chat: the most expensive bottle of whiskey I ever bought was a Glenmorangie 18 single malt. It was kinda thin and had this slight vomit undertaste.

I actually like picking up bottom shelf crap because it's also interesting to see how things can go wrong and it's nice to be surprised when they're good. Like Mellow Corn is a terrible name for a whiskey but it has a nice bourbon-y flavor to it. I also tried Benchmark #8 recently and it's surprisingly good for the price. Apparently it's made by the same distillers who produce Buffalo Trace. The one issue with slumming it is that a lot of rotgut is only available in 1.75 liter bottles and that's a lot of crap to get through or just dump. Costco's basic scotch is decent. Their bourbon is really bland though.

Think I've said it before but the worst whiskey I've ever had was Fleischmann's. Picked up a 1-liter bottle for $10 and tried everything to make it palatable with no luck. Tastes like it was squeezed out of a wet newspaper. Ended up dumping out the last half of the bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Turns out the math I did last year for additional federal withholding assumed my wife would work a full year, but instead she ended up working about 10% of her normal schedule for six months. Long story short, we're getting 4% of our combined 2022 gross back from the federal government. I guess this makes up for a few years ago when HR didn't do my additional withholdings and we had to write a check for a similar amount.