Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I am normal and can be trusted to modify stereolithography files in a normal way.

What the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Rorahusky posted:

'Mechs like the Valkyrie are always in this weird place. In universe, their purpose makes complete and total sense. They're harasser and skirmisher units, meant to show up, lob LRMs at an opponent to cause some damage and rattle nerves before pulling back. They don't need a huge number of reloads, just enough to make a pain of themselves before they flee back to friendly lines, and they'll almost never kill anything unless they either pick on something badly damaged or get an amazing TAC that instantly kills a foe.

In game however, the whole harasser concept doesn't work, because the game doesn't reward you for incidental damage and retreating once your bins run dry is basically just handing free victory points to the opposing side, since most scenarios count units that run off the edge of the map as destroyed, so the Valkyrie feels largely useless because it can't fight worth a drat against anything that isn't a Locust.
A lot of the original 55 ton mediums fit into this niche too. They make perfect sense when you're expecting to run up to a convoy, ding a few AC-5 rounds into a slow-moving APC or truck at range, and then run off again.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

General Battuta posted:

What the gently caress

Garcher's gonna TAC that pan of lasagna after the battle.

Arquinsiel posted:

A lot of the original 55 ton mediums fit into this niche too. They make perfect sense when you're expecting to run up to a convoy, ding a few AC-5 rounds into a slow-moving APC or truck at range, and then run off again.

Most everything with an AC/2 makes perfect sense if they're going to be shooting at deuce-and-a-half transport trucks or other unarmored logistics vehicles.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 4, 2023

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

Most everything with an AC/2 makes perfect sense if they're going to be shooting at deuce-and-a-half transport trucks or other unarmored logistics vehicles.
Since I now own a Blackjack figure thanks to the lance packs I decided to try one out in 3025 ATB campaigns. Turns out the AC-2 is actually a pretty solid way to ding conventional fighters out of the sky or knock the air out of a hovercraft's skirts, and suddenly my Blackjack pilot has about three times the kills of anyone else.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

The AS box is really good if you like a game in a box. The literal only problem I can see is that theres no tape measure, and you cant create any of the clan star formations with the mechs in the box. I think. The two scenarios are great teaching ones (start with forests, add buildings and Battlefield support later). It's awesome, a top level product.

They really need to make the tokens and buildings purchasable, and they need to design some 3D mech salvage objective markers. Also, faction specific stuff. I found a bunch of 6mm scale Japanese temples and buddha statues(for fish tanks) to build Kurita stuff and I've been looking for "classic" looking gothic architecture for old timey Steiner buildings etc(Yes I know Adeptus Titanicus terrain exists but I got 9 pieces of stuff for the same price as a single building in AD)

They're coming out with a "tokens + buildings" release: https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Alpha_Strike_Counters_Pack

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Arquinsiel posted:

Since I now own a Blackjack figure thanks to the lance packs I decided to try one out in 3025 ATB campaigns. Turns out the AC-2 is actually a pretty solid way to ding conventional fighters out of the sky or knock the air out of a hovercraft's skirts, and suddenly my Blackjack pilot has about three times the kills of anyone else.

The existence of flying vehicles and flak ammo do a lot to justify the AC/2 existing. At least, until the LB-2X comes out, then it shouldn't exist.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Can't believe foldable cardstock for buildings never occurred to me. There goes my weekend.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, the fact that the game typically involves balanced forces slugging it out to the death makes a lot of weapons and roles useless.

Goals that are not typically explored in the board game would make a lot of weapons far more useful. You don't require a lot of firepower to halt a convoy or mechanized infantry division, which is what light and medium mechs with light autocannons and small LRM racks would be good at. So many mechs are so much more useful when the goal is to hit conventional targets and fade before a real response can be formed.

In the (unfortunately real, and not fictional) war in Ukraine, the initial Russian advance towards Kyiv was heavily hindered by special forces troops with AT weapons mounted on fast, light vehicles hitting vehicles that were confined to the roads due to muddy conditions, halting columns of troops.

A lot of BattleMechs traditionally considered to be kind of crappy like the Valkyrie, Shadow Hawk, Clint, Vulcan, Whitworth, and other similar designs would be king poo poo at that kind of fighting. They'd be more visible than special forces but faster and even less hindered by terrain, and with higher-powered, longer ranged weapons.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
No matter how they try to dress it up as military operations, BT tabletop is basically team robot deathmatch.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I'm fine with petty nobles fielding specialized heavy platforms for jousting and intimidation purposes

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I got my hands on a copy of "Elements of Treason: Opportunity" and... I really like Duke Vedet Brewer. He went from an ambitious, mustache-twirler to a 3-dimensional character with a surprising amount of depth. I actually want to root for the Vesper Marches. This is probably the best IlClan I've read just because of all the characterization of this one Dark Age guy.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 5, 2023

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I wouldn't say I like him but it did a good job explaining why people would follow him. He's very effective at identifying what people need to hear and telling it to them. But at the same time, it also makes sure to remind you that he is still not a very good dude, through him lying (by omission) to his daughter about how he was working for both sides.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Making more official releases of tanks, APCs, mobile artillery (!), infantry and vehicles would really sell the point of dedicated hit and run mechs. Right now there haven’t been any official plastics (unless I’m mistaken) for anything but mechs. Having those options might change play styles. I’d certainly run a caravan of tanks with a set goal against a lance on a given map, and more so if that map has roads. All I gotta do is make the destination and take pot shots? I’ll play it.

To really make this work, map diversity would be key. Diverging roads with rough terrain, dispersed woods, terrain changes and the like to give cost/benefit decisions at the beginning of missions would really add to this.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You want some plastic tanks? APCs? Mobile artillery?!?!?!

Have I got the Kickstarter for you...

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Oh I know, but we’ve had over a decade of mech only plastics for like no reason.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I would love new good minis of conventional vehicles but that doesn't prevent me from being an avid user of them

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Oh I know, but we’ve had over a decade of mech only plastics for like no reason.

The reason is that a huge majority of players use mechs only. There was a survey a while back (along with the beta for BattleMech Manual) and while I've never seen the actual numbers myself we've been told on a couple occasions that mech only was far and away the most common way to play. The impression I get is that we're taking 80+%.

No matter how much I like tanks and ASF, that's not "no reason". It's where the money is.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I just wanna be clear that these mech-only players are inferior and the rest of us look down on them. Carry on

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

flechs sheets doesn't support non-bipedals yet and thusly, to our group, there exist no rules for playing them

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Sorry for ruining it for the rest of you, but I'm not playing the Mech fighting game so I can push hovercrafts around

PS. I don't mind if my opponents do, it's funny when their tracks break

PPS. I will also run elementals

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

All I’m hearing is “it’s super cool when folks bring something other than a mech to the table.”

It’s not 1994 anymore. The world has changed.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I have to wonder how many more folks are playing elementals now that there’s an easy way to buy plastic models compared to before the Clan Invasion Box.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

SkyeAuroline posted:

I can believe it would be, I just detest everything about the Crusaders I've played with (the intro tech variants - double sinks probably save it) in Classic. Too hot, too explosive, secondary armament suffers for being leg mounted...

The CRD-6T is a pure energy variant, which takes care of the sploding problem. Those S-tier MWO builds are lasvom (mix of large pulse, ER medium and normal small lasers) or snub PPCs and small lasers. Main drawback is most of the DPS is in the arms, but that fixes the "secondary armament in legs" issue. They do run hot, but double heatsinks and an XL 350 engine help with that a lot, as does Coolshot (a consumable that offers rapid cooling for a brief period of time, which you can use up to twice per match).

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Kesper North posted:

The CRD-6T is a pure energy variant

What

THE gently caress

IS THAT loving ABORTION OF A CRUSADER

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

If it’s not going up in a towering ammunition explosion the instant someone looks at it funny is it even really a Crusader?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I have to wonder how many more folks are playing elementals now that there’s an easy way to buy plastic models compared to before the Clan Invasion Box.

Aside from how you don't need models to use a unit, using models for infantry sucks rear end. I have a bunch of models that I never actually use in practice. I primarily use anti-mech jump rifle infantry and jump 3 or 4 BA, deployed from helicopters to do leg attacks. Since they end up in the same hex as another unit so much - while jumping out of the chopper and obviously while performing leg attacks - it's a lot easier to use a cardboard token that fits under the hex of a model.

Like okay, you can put the infantry of to the side and remember it's in the same hex as a mech. But then that starts to get worse if you have a chaotic melee with lots of units clustered together. Which happens a lot in my games because I like close combat and so do my typical opponents.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Defiance Industries posted:

What

THE gently caress

Canon! Made by Kallon Industries.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

flechs sheets doesn't support non-bipedals yet and thusly, to our group, there exist no rules for playing them

The dude’s working on it, actually!

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Newest ilClan Rec Guide is out.

Returning units is a Savannah Master upgrade with an ER Medium Laser and Reflective Armor, good for countering those Pulse Boats, a basic upgrade to the Manticore that has an ERPPC, Streak 6, Medium Laser, and Enhanced LRM10 with a Targeting Comp, an upgrade to the Behemoth with Gauss Rifles and RL10s, a Javelin with Clan SRM6s, Tag, and an 8/12/8 movement profile, Clint with Reflective Armor, LBX5, and twin Medium X-Pulses, a clan Shogun with twin LRM15s, twin ATM6s, and an ERPPC w/Cap, and a mixedtech Pillager with twin Clan LBX20s with IS ER Large and Medium Lasers.

New designs is the Harrier Hovertank with a Large RE-Laser, Medium Laser, and Streak 6, and the Callisto BA which comes in two flavors: The Ghost Bear version with a hard mounted ER Medium Laser in the shoulder and a modular mount on the arm that can swap between a Bearhunter, ER Micro, or Heavy MG, and a Wolf version that hard mounts an ER Small in the arm, and has a modular mount on the shoulder that can swap between a Medium Recoilless Rifle or an SRM4.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

smug jeebus posted:

Sorry for ruining it for the rest of you, but I'm not playing the Mech fighting game so I can push hovercrafts around

PS. I don't mind if my opponents do, it's funny when their tracks break

PPS. I will also run elementals
I bring field guns and hide them.

Defiance Industries posted:

What

THE gently caress

Think of it as a Steiner-ised Stinger STG-3G used for C3 purposes.

BattleMaster posted:

Like okay, you can put the infantry of to the side and remember it's in the same hex as a mech. But then that starts to get worse if you have a chaotic melee with lots of units clustered together. Which happens a lot in my games because I like close combat and so do my typical opponents.
One per penny, and sit them on the mech bases.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Gonna use mine as generic battle armor. Well, most of them. One of them got done in clan JF colors, and is currently serving as a footstool for one of my timber wolves :getin:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

The very earliest novels are pretty rough at times and a lot of the setting bible stuff didn't really get filled in until later. The Gray Death books, The Sword and the Dagger, the Warrior Trilogy, and Wolves on the Border were all being written around the same time and there's definite collaboration but BattleTech's four earliest authors weren't sharing every detail with one another about how they thought everything worked.

I give them some leeway because they were finding their feet.

That could be, it's been years since I last read Double Blind and while that's by far the best of Coleman's novels and one of the better BattleTech standalone novels in general, it was also his first novel for the franchise.

That's why I picked it. It's a detail that even the one-off writers get right more often than not, which means it was one that editorial was trying to enforce.

The Gray Death books were my favorite, and the earliest BT-novels I've ever read. For some reason our library only had the second and third books of the trilogy, and especially the second book was burned into my memory, because the German translation came with this weird, but impressive blueprint/line drawing of a Marauder as a cover.

If I remember the details correctly (it has been a while since my last re-read), Grayson at the end of Mercenary's Star only manages to hijack the marauder because the techs disabled the security systems (either mostly or all of it, I don't remember) and Grayson then, because of the misaligned neuro helmet, fought so badly the bad guy warhammer dueling him only goes down after a lucky crit cracks the gyro. In hindsight, that's a lot of writing groundwork to make the events of Grayson's escape seem more plausible.

In most other cases, I'm willing to give protagonists some leeway, since most stories would suck if the protagonist doesn't successfully steal the mech to escape, and instead just gets shot in the back of the head after failing to unlock the security system for the 99th time in a row :v:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 5, 2023

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Okay, I feel like I might be high here. It's not normal for injection molded plastic to have visible 3D print striations on major surfaces, right? (Orion from the Direct Fire lance) Because this isn't even the first CGL mini they've shown up on.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It depends on the master that the mold was made from, or even the machining that was done to make the mold.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
My Orions definitely don't have that issue. You might have been "lucky" enough to get a factory prototype.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

So what's up with the base model Marauder II having CASE in a torso with nothing that benefits from it?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That autocannon probably used to be a Gauss rifle.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Or future-proofing.

They were anticipating the weight of the Gauss Rifle dropping as the technology was refined and wanted to make sure the SLDF could field refit to one if that ever happened.

It's not the worst gently caress-up on an official record sheet. I think that prize still goes to the Von Luckner's rear-mounted LRMs.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Or future-proofing.

They were anticipating the weight of the Gauss Rifle dropping as the technology was refined and wanted to make sure the SLDF could field refit to one if that ever happened.

It's not the worst gently caress-up on an official record sheet. I think that prize still goes to the Von Luckner's rear-mounted LRMs.

I mean, they weren't wrong, I guess? Just that said reduction in size and weight only occurred after the Star League vomited blood all over and died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

So what's up with the base model Marauder II having CASE in a torso with nothing that benefits from it?

Theres a genuine swarm of weird 3049 era mechs that have CASE shoved into xl mechs or mechs with no real help from it that I love. I assume they are all supposed to be battlefield refits or engineers trying to panic fit as much lostech as they can into line mech units now that it's plentiful again.