Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I guess I could also just get a Seth lover neck pickup and I’d be fine with the single hole on each side. That’d be a lot cheaper at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

landgrabber posted:

on monday some replacement screws are getting here and i'm just reeeeeaaaallllyyyy hoping i can get the stripped screw out somehow and raise the saddle enough to get rid of some of the buzzing. otherwise it'll be another couple weeks of me running into The Clang and it making me crazy.

reminder that it's this real bad buzz on the A string specifically on the 4th fret... so good luck playing a G#m or a C#m.

if it's a normal phillips head like on a pickguard or something, you can put a rubber band between the driver and screw for some extra grip, so says the internet.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Forgot I had posted my Strat on Reverb and someone just snagged it for full asking price. Score.

Was a nice guitar but I think I vibe with the simplicity and bite of Telecasters more for single coil stuff.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

zelah posted:

Okay so my ampro2 tele is routed for a humbucker in the neck. I want to get this pickup for the neck. It’ll fit. So far so good.

Pickguard though. I’m looking at WD and guitar fetish but those pickguards either have 1 hole on either side of the cutout or 2 on one side 1 on the other. The hell do I do with that if I want to use the pickup linked above that seems to need 2 holes on each side?

I'd be cautious ordering. Fender wide range hums are larger than typical PAF style hums and won't fit in a spot cut for most hums. They also typically have 3 screws so I'm not sure what exactly this pickup is but it's not a typical wide range and might not match guards designed for either wide range hums or the common PAF-type hum.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'd be cautious ordering. Fender wide range hums are larger than typical PAF style hums and won't fit in a spot cut for most hums. They also typically have 3 screws so I'm not sure what exactly this pickup is but it's not a typical wide range and might not match guards designed for either wide range hums or the common PAF-type hum.

WRHB have been four screw mount since the earliest models. The three screw ones that come with the AmPro deluxe are just standard humbuckers with offset pole pieces - probably using up the old Atomic/Enforcer mounting plates. The CuNiFe models Fender are selling now are oversized like the vintage ones.

@zelah: WDMusic will cut to pretty much whatever template you like btw, so it's worth giving them an email to check suitability.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

zelah posted:

Okay so my ampro2 tele is routed for a humbucker in the neck. I want to get this pickup for the neck. It’ll fit. So far so good.

Pickguard though. I’m looking at WD and guitar fetish but those pickguards either have 1 hole on either side of the cutout or 2 on one side 1 on the other. The hell do I do with that if I want to use the pickup linked above that seems to need 2 holes on each side?

I think you should email WD Music and ask them what it would take to get you a pickguard to match what you want. The last pickguard I ordered from WD (aka pickguards.com) was a standard model, but somewhere on the website they ask you to email them and say they can find a way to make whatever pickguard you want. You can't be the first person that wanted to put a WRHB into the neck of a Fender AmPro Tele, and they must know the dimensions for WRHB pickups because they make pickguards for Tele Deluxes/Customs/Thinlines.

I am a little sketchy on that pickup itself. I couldn't find a technical drawing that shows the dimensions (although I would assume they are the standard WRHB size), and it doesn't say where it's made.

For your consideration: Lollar pickups also makes a WRHB-sized pickup for Tele. They have versions wound to match either Tele Deluxe output or a "low wind" version to match vintage output Tele bridge pickups. They don't use CuNiFe magnets but are $25 less than Fender. https://www.lollarguitars.com/lollar-humbucker-pickups/regal-humbucker

Baron von Eevl posted:

2 screws on each side of a WRHB is standard everywhere that I've seen. Pickguards for Tele Custom or Tele Deluxe from WD Music or Warmoth show that configuration.

e: ahhh beaten

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Ok nevermind, I thought the 2+1 was the classic for some reason

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Speaking of Telecasters with humbucker neck pickups, I think I've got all the parts in hand for my next project.

The pickup screws for the humbucker are somehow still 1/4" too long. Nothing can ever be easy with guitars.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

on the bright side of be poo poo i've been posting, my friend wrote a song and brought it in to our band and i got to play lead on it and discovered i really like doing that.

not in a shreddy way but in a really minimalistic way-- like, there's a section where he goes back and forth between the same two chords as he increases dynamics going into the last chorus. for me it's really fun to play octaves over that and slowly rise in pitch over the section as i switch notes that become more and more dissonant until it resolves into the last chorus. it's really satisfying to be able to put the ribbon on a song like that

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Are short scale guitars a good idea for an adult beginner? I have a Washburn MG74 but after watching a ton of videos I'm considering a Bullet Mustang for the shorter scale length as lots of people say it helps complete beginners. However, some of my friends who have been playing for decades say I'm better off sticking with the Washburn and that the short scale would lead to issues down the road if I try to move to a more normal scale. Thoughts?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Lungboy posted:

Are short scale guitars a good idea for an adult beginner? I have a Washburn MG74 but after watching a ton of videos I'm considering a Bullet Mustang for the shorter scale length as lots of people say it helps complete beginners. However, some of my friends who have been playing for decades say I'm better off sticking with the Washburn and that the short scale would lead to issues down the road if I try to move to a more normal scale. Thoughts?

they're cappin', it takes like 4 minutes to get used to a different scale length

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

I don't think it'd lead to issues - I personally can adjust scale lengths between 24 and 25.5 inches pretty automatically and it's not until I get to 23.5 inch guitars like a GS Mini where I start to feel a little cramped.

That said, I honestly don't think it'd be useful to get another electric with a shorter scale length as like, a training wheels guitar or something, unless I had some significant external factor like a hand injury where the size and string tension differences would have a serious benefit. There is an element of kind of training your hands to acclimate to guitar - callouses, barre chord technique, etc - that everyone goes through and you just have to grin and bear it.

I googled that Washburn and it looks like it has a Floyd Rose bridge, which is going to make it somewhat harder to change strings and also limit your ability to mess with different tunings as easily as a hardtail. This might be kind of annoying if you're new and if you really wanted a different guitar that's another factor I'd consider.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Lungboy posted:

I don't think switching is a big deal but I don't think shorter scale length is necessarily more comfortable. Best if you can try one and see if you find it more comfortable yourself.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Thanks all. Sadly my city only has a single guitar shop and they have no short scale guitars I can try so I'd be taking a punt without being able to test it first.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Lungboy posted:

Thanks all. Sadly my city only has a single guitar shop and they have no short scale guitars I can try so I'd be taking a punt without being able to test it first.

Scale length doesn't seem like that big of a deal but the fixed bridge is certainly easier to manage like southern cassowary was saying.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
There are many players (myself included) who comfortably double between bass and guitar with anywhere up to 10" scale difference. I don't LIKE shorty guitars but not because it's not possible to play them.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Pot question. Internet says you’re a fool to pair a humbucker with a 250k pot. Is it really a make or break thing or just people being dramatic? I’m wondering if I can just get the neck pickup installed now and then change the pots if needed later.

It looks like I could also just get a 500k volume pot installed and then add a cap to the bridge pickup and it’ll act like a 250k there but the humbucker will get its 500k?

Does that make sense?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

They make adapter rings for the 4-hole Fender Wide Range:

https://www.amazon.com/Humbucker-Regular-Uncovered-Adapter-PRA-B-H2/dp/B078GYSTWN/

edit: this is to adapt a regular humbucker to a wide range route but the reverse must exist as well or this ring may be able to be used with your pickguard provided there is enough space in the right to fit it.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 5, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

zelah posted:

Pot question. Internet says you’re a fool to pair a humbucker with a 250k pot. Is it really a make or break thing or just people being dramatic? I’m wondering if I can just get the neck pickup installed now and then change the pots if needed later.

It looks like I could also just get a 500k volume pot installed and then add a cap to the bridge pickup and it’ll act like a 250k there but the humbucker will get its 500k?

Does that make sense?

Hums are already a lot darker than single coils, the lower the resistance on the pot the darker it will make everything on that circuit. I'd either go for the higher value or maybe split the diff with something like a 330k.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

zelah posted:

Does that make sense?

Baron von Eevl posted:

Hums are already a lot darker than single coils, the lower the resistance on the pot the darker it will make everything on that circuit. I'd either go for the higher value or maybe split the diff with something like a 330k.

This is true most of the time except with special cases. Filtertrons, any Lace humbucker and the Fender Wide Range all use 250k stock and all are humbuckers. They all have a much, well, wider range to their resonant peaks (which are also much higher than "normal" PAF-style humbuckers) and thus they are much brighter pickups despite hum-cancellation.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

This is true most of the time except with special cases. Filtertrons, any Lace humbucker and the Fender Wide Range all use 250k stock and all are humbuckers. They all have a much, well, wider range to their resonant peaks (which are also much higher than "normal" PAF-style humbuckers) and thus they are much brighter pickups despite hum-cancellation.

Wide Range should be 1M pots, same as offsets. The reissues, until recently, have been a) just PAFs in fat cases and b) using 500k pots so sound nothing like them. Way more of a difference than the magnet comp that people go on about.

The CV Starcaster, for some reason, uses 500 vol 250 tone and is super dark even though they aren't proper WRs.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i honestly do not buy that people can tell a difference by ear

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

darkwasthenight posted:

Wide Range should be 1M pots, same as offsets. The reissues, until recently, have been a) just PAFs in fat cases and b) using 500k pots so sound nothing like them. Way more of a difference than the magnet comp that people go on about.

The CV Starcaster, for some reason, uses 500 vol 250 tone and is super dark even though they aren't proper WRs.

Oooh interesting, I thought just the opposite for them.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

landgrabber posted:

i honestly do not buy that people can tell a difference by ear

There's plenty of comparison vids on YouTube if you want to take a go at spotting it, but either way I've had a jazzmaster wired for both v/t 1M and v/t 250k with a hard switch between them and yes there's a difference.

Did it sound like a jazzmaster? Yes in both positions, just darker and with a different volume taper on 250K. Slightly lower volume, but that's because you're losing db at the high end - this chart is for an 'ideal' modelled pickup and doesn't take into account inductance or any of the other factors, but that's a 10db difference in the resonant peak based solely on pot value with both controls fully up.

Maths here: https://guitarnuts2.proboards.com/thread/7171/pot-values-load-pots

It's something I'd recommend as more of an interesting tweak than a game changer, but it only takes two alligator clips and five minutes with a soldering iron to check out different values of cap and pot to find one you dig.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

A broad recommendation is: when in between two options, go for pots with higher resistance values. It is easier to bleed off some highs (via tone circuit, volume knob, or EQ) than to try to boost highs where they are missing.

There's no way to say objectively whether pots with common values will be too dark or too bright for a given pickup. There's room for plenty of variation in what the rest of the signal chain does after the guitar.

Having said that, a 1Meg pot is likely to be VERY bright for a Tele bridge single coil, even though it would be vintage correct for the WRHB. The pickups in original Tele Customs each have separate volume and tone pots by design.

The signal-to-noise ratio for The Gear Page tends to be pretty bad, but Jason Lollar did chime in once on a thread to correct what people were saying about pot values to be used with his WRHB-style pickups.
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/lollar-regal-wr-humbuckers.935067/#post-11161699

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

nvm

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Today in biting off more than I can chew:

Picking up here at the first measure of 4/2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzEQKBfr34U&t=133s

I can mostly play at the first couple of minutes but we'll call the rest of the piece highly aspirational.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 6, 2023

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

gently caress i really want a mustang :(

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

landgrabber posted:

gently caress i really want a mustang :(

They're pretty amazing, but get a hardtail imo. Mine has a Bigsby which is not amazing to either string or for stability, and I had another with the Mustang tremolo which was also not amazing.

However I know hardtails can be blasphemous. I encourage you to blaspheme.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

syntaxfunction posted:

They're pretty amazing, but get a hardtail imo. Mine has a Bigsby which is not amazing to either string or for stability, and I had another with the Mustang tremolo which was also not amazing.

However I know hardtails can be blasphemous. I encourage you to blaspheme.

i am trying my best to never have a guitar with a trem system again.

i never use it and have no interest in it so all it does is gently caress up tuning stability.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

The tuning stability of my Floyd Rose Strat is impeccable. Very proud of my son.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

landgrabber posted:

i am trying my best to never have a guitar with a trem system again.

i never use it and have no interest in it so all it does is gently caress up tuning stability.

You could just block your trem in the meantime

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ethanol posted:

You could just block your trem in the meantime

Yeah I had my strat bridge floating once just to see what it was like and I was like "no gently caress that" and tightened the springs right back to the point of immobility

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Pairing a single coil to a humbucker is the devil's conundrum. I really like the MIM Player Alnico V bridge pickups - they're fantastic, so I want to keep one in my new build. I don't like any of the tele neck pickups I've heard, and I love a PAF in the neck, so I wanted to try a Summers/Kath kind of thing. After talking with Fralin, Lollar, Wolfetone, and SD, I'm no closer to a resolution.

Lollar: I could go with a low-wind Imperial or the Firebird, but it was suggested that I "get creative" with the pots, meaning bumping to 300k pots or running 500k pots and the bridge with a resistor so that it only sees 250k. I could even try the El Rayo, but again, everything from Lollar seems to favor 500k pots.

Fralin: recommended the Big Single 42awg (Ferrite) or the Sunbucker (Alnico V). The cool thing with the Big Single or the Sunbucker are that they're meant for 250k pots, so I wouldn't have to do any creative wiring. Huge benefit.

Wolfetone: Wolfe doesn't really do subtle. I could go with a Dr. Vintage in the neck (Alnico II, and what I have in my 335) and its probably my favorite humbucker. He thinks I'd have to replace the bridge and go with a high-wind Bitch in the bridge, and even then it wouldn't be perfectly matched. But this is one of the more expensive options, and I already have a Dr. Vintage in the neck on another guitar.

SD/other: There are a few options here. The first is doing Vintage Mini-humbucker DP240 which supposedly pairs great with stock bridges. I'm a big dumb idiot and like the look of a full sized humbucker so this isn't super appealing to me.

The other option is replacing the bridge with a really high output SD (like 17k ohm, yeah, I know that's not the full story) and going with a PAF-like that's just a little more subdued like the 7.1k ohm Stormy Monday from Bare Knuckle.

Has anyone here gone down this rabbit hole before and have any advice?

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 7, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Bird tele has a tele custom-like setup, single coil bridge and hum in the neck with individual volumes and a master tone. I'm pretty sure I used a 500k pot for the neck volume and a no-load pot for the tone and a 250k for the bridge volume. The bridge single coil is a higher-output single from guitar fetish so it's a little less harsh than a typical one and it comes a little closer to matching the level of the neck hum.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That would be rad as gently caress with a normal tele control plate with a pair of stacked controls
https://guitarelectronics.com/cts-stacked-dual-concentric-audio-pot-250k-500k/

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I think I'm going to try and source some ~280-300k pots and ask Wolfe to custom-make a low-wind Legend humbucker that ends up at ~6.9k ohms. Worse case scenario I just upgrade the bridge (which I love) to a high-wind Bitch (which I also like).

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

luchadornado posted:

Has anyone here gone down this rabbit hole before and have any advice?

I attempted to combine a P90 neck and Tele bridge on a crap T-style guitar I got for learning/experiments. I used a pair of 500k pots and a 470k resistor to ground for the bridge pickup. However, I looked under the control plate a few minutes ago and... I wired it wrong like a big dumbass? Explains why the neck still sounds muddy. I recommend against incorrectly wiring the 470k resistor from the switch lug for the warmer neck pickup to ground.

Also, the pickups I chose weren't really a good match in output level, both voiced as "vintage" but the P90 is obviously a lot stronger (like a humbucker is likely to be). That leads to a big volume drop when switching to the middle position and bridge. If I have any useful advice to give, it would be to try to match the output levels of the pickups. Having them mismatched is real annoying.

I think internet opinion has created more fear around 500k pots for a Tele bridge than is necessary. Adding a 470k resistor after the fact if you don't like the change from a 250k would be pretty easy, assuming a fool like me isn't holding the iron.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Major Operation posted:

Also, the pickups I chose weren't really a good match in output level, both voiced as "vintage" but the P90 is obviously a lot stronger (like a humbucker is likely to be). That leads to a big volume drop when switching to the middle position and bridge. If I have any useful advice to give, it would be to try to match the output levels of the pickups. Having them mismatched is real annoying.

I balanced that by putting the bridge pup real close to the strings and the neck pickup so far from the strings it's almost level with the guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

What is your goal with “pairing a single coil and a humbucker?” Sorry it isnt clear to me.