Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I typically only do D&Ss by the pitcher, this is what I’ve landed on currently to make 4 servings.

8 oz dark Jamaican or blended rum. Caruba or goslings work fine, I also really like Plantation original here.
1/2 oz Black Strap Rum
1/2 oz Demerara 151
3 oz lime juice
2-4 oz ginger syrup (1:1) depending on heat, top with simple to 4oz total.
Add to pitcher half full of ice, stir to chill then add one can of cold seltzer and lime slices. Top each glass with a dash of Ango

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I can't find any El Dorado 3. Any good subs? I've tried Real McCoy 3 which was fine, but not as good, IMO. I have Probitas which I think is great but I really want something similar to the ED3.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I caved and bought a bottle of Gosling's, gonna try a round of dark & stormy's using it and a couple other rums to compare. Kenning, any suggestions outright? I don't have Myers, I've heard that's a known substitute.

I love Coruba for stuff like Dark and Stormys, if you can find it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Kenning posted:

I love Coruba for stuff like Dark and Stormys, if you can find it.

It's on my list of things to track down with Cruzan Blackstrap but I haven't been able to find either so far =/

A good dark & stormy is actually my favorite get-home-from-work drink, I just never really bothered with Goslings since it works so well with most of the jamaica/barbados/guyana rums I've tried it with. Barbancourt 3* also works great.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

I can't find any El Dorado 3. Any good subs? I've tried Real McCoy 3 which was fine, but not as good, IMO. I have Probitas which I think is great but I really want something similar to the ED3.

Plantation 3 star is a delightful white rum with some solid character.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

All the Plantation rums are really good at reasonable prices.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Oh yeah, the Plantation Xaymaca is another great one to try in a Dark and Stormy. Also Pussers.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I will keep an eye out for the Xaymaca, because seconding that just about everything I've had from Plantation is great. Actually, I like the Original Dark and Barbados 5-year so much that I haven't gotten around to trying their 3-star yet lol

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
So I’ve kinda cobbled together a cocktail that I really like, inspired by a drink a local restaurant has - I had a rough idea what was in it and kinda guessed at proportions. They charge $17 for it so I rather enjoy being able to make it at home, and so far the people I’ve tested it on seem to like it.

I thought I’d post it here to see if anyone is drinking anything similar or if any of the bartenders have any ideas for making it better. The version I make is pretty simple and doesn’t have any garnishes or anything yet.

The recipe is as follows:

60ml Campari
120ml Italian Pinot Grigio
200ml San Pellegrino Aranciata Rossa (this stuff: https://www.sanpellegrino.com/au/beverages/aranciata-rossa)

Served in a stemless wine glass over ice. I use 200ml of the Aranciata Rossa because that’s exactly one of the little bottles they come in and this way I’m not opening and using part of something fizzy that will need to be used up pretty fast.

Looking for feedback on proportions, any garnishes or additions that would improve the cocktail, etc.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Finally found Becherovka!

Now I can make that Punchy's First Strike from back around November properly, instead of with Amaro di Torino (which I'm now out of and have to track down again :byodood:)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

LionYeti posted:

Plantation 3 star is a delightful white rum with some solid character.

It's got lots of sugar added, though.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tonight I made an old fashioned with a tea themed twist

2 oz Wild Turkey 101
.75 oz Portland Syrups Vanilla Rooibos
2 dashes Angostura
2 dashes Scrappys Lavender Bitters

Delicious!

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 5, 2023

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I have about 250g of grapefruit oleosacruum and 5 grapefruits, what should I do with this besides Gin and Juice?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Hemingway daiquiris.

Edit: Palomas. Salty dogs. Blinkers. Splash some in a G&T (Spanish-style or not).

Scythe fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 5, 2023

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Buy some umeshu and mix those together

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Don's Mix, grapefruit and cinnamon work surprisingly well together.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Aquavit sours

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

tonedef131 posted:

Aquavit sours

holy poo poo

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Gorman Thomas posted:

I have about 250g of grapefruit oleosacruum and 5 grapefruits, what should I do with this besides Gin and Juice?
Paloma has my vote.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

When meeting grenadine do you need pomegranate molasses or can you just use the juice and sugar?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Juice and sugar

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Juice and sugar is better than molasses. But throw in a little orange flower water, too.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

The Lord Bude posted:

So I’ve kinda cobbled together a cocktail that I really like, inspired by a drink a local restaurant has - I had a rough idea what was in it and kinda guessed at proportions. They charge $17 for it so I rather enjoy being able to make it at home, and so far the people I’ve tested it on seem to like it.

I thought I’d post it here to see if anyone is drinking anything similar or if any of the bartenders have any ideas for making it better. The version I make is pretty simple and doesn’t have any garnishes or anything yet.

The recipe is as follows:

60ml Campari
120ml Italian Pinot Grigio
200ml San Pellegrino Aranciata Rossa (this stuff: https://www.sanpellegrino.com/au/beverages/aranciata-rossa)

Served in a stemless wine glass over ice. I use 200ml of the Aranciata Rossa because that’s exactly one of the little bottles they come in and this way I’m not opening and using part of something fizzy that will need to be used up pretty fast.

Looking for feedback on proportions, any garnishes or additions that would improve the cocktail, etc.

Looks good to me. Could add an orange peel garnish but that might be too redundant. I'm surprised campari, white wine, and fancy Italian orange soda is $17, that me is casual highball territory, would think lower. But what do I know, I don't run a bar.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
If the bar’s recipe is as big, it makes sense. That’s a full pour of Campari (~$10), 2/3 a pour of a glass of wine (~$10), and a whole can of fancy water (~$5)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Comb Your Beard posted:

Looks good to me. Could add an orange peel garnish but that might be too redundant. I'm surprised campari, white wine, and fancy Italian orange soda is $17, that me is casual highball territory, would think lower. But what do I know, I don't run a bar.

Thanks for the feedback, I made it again tonight, it’s really good. There’s enough of it that I can sip on it for a while, it’s fizzy, adequately boozy, fruity/citrusy but with a nice bitter edge.

Should clarify that I’m in Australia and $17 is at the low end of what you’d expect to pay for a cocktail, most cocktails at actual nice bars are over $20, sometimes high 20s. High teens is normal for stuff like an aperol spritz or similar at casual restaurants. The same restaurant charges $19 for a Negroni, $9 for the cheapest beer, and $11 or $16 for a glass of house white depending on if you want a small or large pour.

I don’t know if the restaurant makes them the same size, but at the same time the proportions feel the same. I also don’t know what Pinot Grigio they use, their house white is a Pinot Grigio and they probably use that.

For reference a bottle of Campari costs me $45, the bottle of wine is $23 - I use a Pinot Grigio from Italy, I could go cheaper but I like this one, and the soft drink costs $10 for a 4pk of 200ml glass bottles, so it’s costing me about $10.50 per glass to make the cocktail at home.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Carillon posted:

When meeting grenadine do you need pomegranate molasses or can you just use the juice and sugar?

Fun fact; pomegranate molasses is mostly juice and sugar already, heavily reduced for thickness. You can add a little bit to your batch to boost the flavor and mouthfeel, but it's not strictly necessary. (Neither is the orange flower water, technically, but it'll add some very welcome floral notes to the grenadine and help break up the tartness.)

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm making my own allspice/pimento dram via sous vide - does anybody have any other suggestions for cheap/easy liqueurs I can make at home and not have to drop $15-$30 on?

Also, this chartreuse shortage is real lame. Michigan hasn't had any green or yellow for months.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Corb3t posted:

I'm making my own allspice/pimento dram via sous vide - does anybody have any other suggestions for cheap/easy liqueurs I can make at home and not have to drop $15-$30 on?

Also, this chartreuse shortage is real lame. Michigan hasn't had any green or yellow for months.

If you’ve got everything for allspice dram, you probably have most of what you need for falernum: https://www.proofcocktails.nl/2017/03/09/falernum/

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Corb3t posted:

Same in FL. Total Wine just shakes its head at me sadly when I come in now. The little mom-n-pop place that always has crazy amounts of weird stuff and where I always used to get it has like 20 bottles but they're all yellow, and crammed into both the green and yellow slots on the shelf.

I still don't know wtf that 40% "green" one with the yellow label that I got a while ago is, it tastes like an oddball cross between the two and I've never seen it again.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Corb3t posted:

Coffee liqueur and creme de cacao are both pretty easy, I've posted my recipes for them in this thread before.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Same in FL. Total Wine just shakes its head at me sadly when I come in now. The little mom-n-pop place that always has crazy amounts of weird stuff and where I always used to get it has like 20 bottles but they're all yellow, and crammed into both the green and yellow slots on the shelf.

I still don't know wtf that 40% "green" one with the yellow label that I got a while ago is, it tastes like an oddball cross between the two and I've never seen it again.

My local fancy grocery just got some green Chartreuse in and is selling it for $84.99 :stonklol:

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Kenning posted:

My local fancy grocery just got some green Chartreuse in and is selling it for $84.99 :stonklol:

I mean, it's $65.50 in PA. Compared to bourbon markups, that's not awful if you really want it.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Was in Dallas over Christmas and there was Chartreuses all over for $52-60.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Was in Dallas over Christmas and there was Chartreuses all over for $52-60.

Probably shipped to Texas by mistake.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Data Graham posted:

The MoF edition, maybe? https://www.chartreuse.fr/produit/liqueur-mof/

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
As I mentioned when we previously discussed this the 40% Yellow Chartreuse seems to be from like pre-2019 or so when they re-reformulated back to the original 43% for their US distribution which had been 40% for decades. For whatever reason they gave this pretty much zero publicity and the only mention I could find was someone on a forum repeating what a rep had told them.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

If anybody has access to yellow chartreuse, I’ll happily throw a shipping label + cost + thank you tip for your trouble.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Yellow is $93.19 (tax included) for a 750 ml at Total Wine here in WA, highest Liquor tax in the nation.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Corb3t posted:

If anybody has access to yellow chartreuse, I’ll happily throw a shipping label + cost + thank you tip for your trouble.

Totalwine by me had 2 rows full a couple weeks ago. I can't promise when I'll be back again but I'll make a note to grab a bottle next time I'm there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Yellow is $93.19 (tax included) for a 750 ml at Total Wine here in WA, highest Liquor tax in the nation.

Ouch...

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Totalwine by me had 2 rows full a couple weeks ago. I can't promise when I'll be back again but I'll make a note to grab a bottle next time I'm there

I'll take it, assuming it isn't over $85...