Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
2.0.7 or 2.1.6. Which version number do you think is newer?

We had a release go out and I asked why we were downgrading because we were sending out 2.0.7. Apparently I’m an idiot though and that is newer than 2.1.6 because the middle number “is only incremented for bug fixes and resets to 0 on a new release.” I didn’t even have a response. Maybe I’m sheltered or something but I’ve never seen versioning like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I've only ever seen versioning like that as Main.Major.Minor, and I would absolutely assume 2.1.x is newer than 2.0.x.

I would continue to look at the person who said the middle number was bugfixes like they had an above-average number of heads. Maybe throw in "That's now how any of this works" grandma.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

we do Major.Feature.Fix

we sometimes have issues because almost everything sorts the version number as a string and 2.6.3 is higher in the list than 2.11.2 while the later would actually be newer

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I'm a complete newb in versioning:

Version.minor.bugPatch

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Of course people are free to do whatever they want, but literally the whole world disagrees with that usage of version numbers. Maybe print out the semver site and beat them over the head with it https://semver.org/

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Fool posted:

we do Major.Feature.Fix

we sometimes have issues because almost everything sorts the version number as a string and 2.6.3 is higher in the list than 2.11.2 while the later would actually be newer

You could zero prefix things, so 2.06.003 which would then sort alphabetically

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

I’m not sure at all where the Major.Fix.Minor came from but as a result of the call starting with the next major release it will go back to the normal Major.Minor.Fix. I’m pretty sure we were using that format before and for some reason this guy just decided to change it. I wasn’t the my one confused by it, even this guys VP was, which is probably why it is being changed to normal so fast.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

I’m not sure at all where the Major.Fix.Minor came from but as a result of the call starting with the next major release it will go back to the normal Major.Minor.Fix. I’m pretty sure we were using that format before and for some reason this guy just decided to change it. I wasn’t the my one confused by it, even this guys VP was, which is probably why it is being changed to normal so fast.

Good luck explaining the version numbering to customers when it switches back

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Buff Hardback posted:

Customers are all internal so it shouldn’t be too bad. Just going to be a giant pain if we ever have to back through releases and try and remember why numbering bounced around for a while.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Buff Hardback posted:

Make it a major even if the content doesn't warrant it to avoid any question.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

SlowBloke posted:

Make it a major even if the content doesn't warrant it to avoid any question.

this tbh

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

mllaneza posted:

I've heard the UAC thing from a vendor. We kind of need that lab to keep doing DNA sequencing, so I saved the request as a record, updated a GPO, and cried into my whiskey.

If you have the ability to experiment in this case, I've found that 100% of the "You must disable UAC" nonsense really translated to one of two things.

More likely than not they were storing files in a stupid place they're not supposed to, in which case either granting permissions to that folder to normal users or redirecting it to somewhere reasonable solved the problem.

One was weirder in that it depended on a network share being mapped a specific way, and that mapping is not maintained in the Administrator session when elevated, so the installer "required" UAC to be entirely disabled but it could be turned back on for normal use. That one could be worked around by mounting the same share path from an Admin command prompt.

I have never actually encountered an app that claimed to require UAC be disabled where it was actually needed, it always just means "we're too lazy to figure out how to do it right" from the vendor.

Obviously given the circumstances it sounds like you may not be allowed to tinker, but if you are an hour with SysInternals Process Monitor will probably get you there.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

wolrah posted:

Obviously given the circumstances it sounds like you may not be allowed to tinker, but if you are an hour with SysInternals Process Monitor will probably get you there.

It's a combination of this, and the app being made up of several small executables that do really stupid poo poo. The only thing I'm happy about with this is that the vendor also maintains the software (in a secure, approved means of access, not TeamViewer) so unless the drive fails it's not my problem.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I really love getting a meeting invite on Friday afternoon for Monday morning, sent to me, my team member, product owner and one of the architects, with a well-defined agenda, only for the guy who sent the invite not to show up. Good way to ensure I value your input in the future.

e: He did eventually show up, too bad we already discussed and planned the thing.

The Claptain fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Feb 6, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

outlook moved the trash icon on emails over the weekend, this irritates me way more than it should.

Worse, the icon to 'mark as unread' is where the trash icon used to be so I keep clicking that instead.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

outlook moved the trash icon on emails over the weekend, this irritates me way more than it should.

Worse, the icon to 'mark as unread' is where the trash icon used to be so I keep clicking that instead.

Microsoft snuck into your house and moved the delete key on your keyboard? :confused:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

KillHour posted:

Microsoft snuck into your house and moved the delete key on your keyboard? :confused:

For a single email it can be easier to click because the email list sometimes loses focus when I tab out, so I gotta use the mouse anyways.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You can customise that anyway. Nothing changed for me because of how I'd already customised it in the past.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Not pissing me off:

Working late tonight to do a last minute load test to prep [customer] infrastructure for a commercial that’ll be running during the Super Bowl this Sunday. Everything is going swimmingly and the environment is handling anything thrown at it no sweat.

Then all of a sudden 503 errors start flying and I get a page that a critical case has been opened. I let the support engineer take it but I’m watching the situation in case it needs an escalation. The case has been opened by a [customer] user who is notoriously lovely to support engineers, demanding results while not providing information, being truculent on support bridges, etc.

The transcript of the case looks something like this:

[Username]: we are experiencing 503 errors during our load test. AWS has broken something, please revert.

CSE: thank you for contacting us. Please provide the RDS instance I’d.

[Username]: here you go.

CSE: I see that the instance rebooted at [timestamp when 503 error appeared].

[Username]: dammit! We are in the middle of a load test! This drat thing shouldn’t be rebooting randomly!

CSE: it looks like the instance rebooted after the database was scaled up to a larger instance size. Refer to [document1] and [document2] for more information about resizing RDS instances.

[Username]: that’s stupid! Why did AWS resize the instance!

CSE: here are the logs from the RDS instance from that period:

quote:

rds1 instance changed from 8xlarge to 12xlarge.
rds1 instance change initiated by [username]
rds1 instance rebooting
rds1 instance reboot complete
rds1 instance change initiated by [Username] complete

Weirdly [Username] has not responded to the ticket or reached out to me to escalate the issue.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Elgato store uses UPS for their web shop and the package just came at home. You can guess how badly the package got mauled. The only part that seems to not get damaged is the stream deck itself, with the box being squished/torn, the pluriball exploded due to hits and so on. The stream deck itself works but holy hell, now i understand you yanks being hysterical when ups is used by apple store and so on.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

In my experience UPS is consistently the best courier for stuff in the UK, after Royal Mail who don't do larger packages so aren't always an option. That's mainly because the same person delivers every day and if you don't treat them like dirt they will leave things for you if you aren't in even if it technically should be signed for etc.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Agrikk posted:

[Username]: dammit! We are in the middle of a load test! This drat thing shouldn’t be rebooting randomly!
Lol. Just... lol.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Agrikk posted:

Not pissing me off:

I wonder how many times the CSE has smugly told that story this morning.

"...and then, this motherfucker said WE broke their load testing. So I quickly pulled up the RDS logs and..."

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Hughmoris posted:

I wonder how many times the CSE has smugly told that story this morning.

"...and then, this motherfucker said WE broke their load testing. So I quickly pulled up the RDS logs and..."

Let’s just say that the contextual notes that pop up for this customer when they open a support case have a half-dozen references to [username] by name. poo poo like “caustic” and”beware! [Username] will 1-star you if he doesn’t like the answer you give, right or not” and “[username] is a screamer. Don’t take it personally” and “abusive”.

So there are over six thousand support engineers here. I’m guessing our CSE has probably told it at least five thousand times by now.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Companies that have employees who call up suppliers and shout at them should have their accounts closed, and the reason given being that specific employee. gently caress that.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It's SAFe (Scaled Agile Framework) PI (Program Increment) Planning week, and boy is it poo poo that's pissing me off.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Companies that have employees who call up suppliers and shout at them should have their accounts closed, and the reason given being that specific employee. gently caress that.

As a reformed Comcast call center abuser, I think it would be a nice perk for support reps to get a get out of jail free card for meritorious service. This card would allow the user to be as blunt and truthful as desired with rear end in a top hat callers and when the rear end in a top hat complains the manager could just say “ they’ve been given a stern warning” and not actually do anything to the employee.

I wonder what that would do for call center morale?

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Agrikk posted:

As a reformed Comcast call center abuser, I think it would be a nice perk for support reps to get a get out of jail free card for meritorious service. This card would allow the user to be as blunt and truthful as desired with rear end in a top hat callers and when the rear end in a top hat complains the manager could just say “ they’ve been given a stern warning” and not actually do anything to the employee.

I have taken calls for years and I'm gonna be honest, I wouldn't have used it that much.

But when I did, it would have helped so goddamn much.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Agrikk posted:

Back in my Xbox support days I had a call coacher who picked up all my calls for the "training and performance purposes" because he knew I was a snarky dick to people who tried poo poo and he enjoyed listening to it so he didn't want anyone else hearing and ruining his fun by making me not be honest with people doing stupid things.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

FISHMANPET posted:

It's SAFe (Scaled Agile Framework) PI (Program Increment) Planning week, and boy is it poo poo that's pissing me off.

SAFe is the biggest waste of time imaginable, it takes all the things bad about scrum and makes them even worse.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Arquinsiel posted:

Back in my Xbox support days I had a call coacher who picked up all my calls for the "training and performance purposes" because he knew I was a snarky dick to people who tried poo poo and he enjoyed listening to it so he didn't want anyone else hearing and ruining his fun by making me not be honest with people doing stupid things.

This sounds like a person that is fun to work with. Did your sanity survive just a little bit longer due to them?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ChubbyThePhat posted:

This sounds like a person that is fun to work with. Did your sanity survive just a little bit longer due to them?
I was well into having PTSD at that point, but since that was entirely due to management shittiness he definitely made what could have been yet another conversation where someone threathened me with illegal repercussions into a thing to look forward to instead.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

jesus, ok. so i had my first big screw up at this job. at least it wasn't just me, it was the service desk collectively but i still feel responsible because it was partly my idea

we are preparing to replace all public pc workstations across the library system. this is around 550 pcs at two dozen locations, which is going to take a while since there are only four of us on shift at any given time. we decided it would be a huge time saver to start getting the new pcs ready in advance of the deployment starting; this involves appending "-OLD" to the netbios name of the computer being replaced, so the new one can be given the same name as the old one. we did this with all 80-ish pcs at our central location, since that's where our offices are, figuring they would be picked up by the software that handles our public pc booking, as has been the case in the past when replacing individual public pcs

the first, like, ten were picked up as expected, but no more. that was the point at which we should have called the guy who manages the booking software and been like what's the deal here man. he would have told us to abort and explain why what we were about to do wouldn't work. but instead weedle opened her fat loving mouth and said "hey you know you can just go into mypc [booking software] and change the netbios name in the record for that machine to match what we renamed it to, and it'll pick it right up." this is not part of the official procedure but it has worked for me in the past in instances where i wanted to keep the old pc usable until i had the replacement built and ready to swap in

apparently the reason it's not part of the official procedure is that if you do that with more than like a dozen machines at once the whole goddamn thing melts down. the time between making the change in mypc and it being reflected on the client machine is like five seconds, but i have been told that there is apparently way more stuff than that going on in the background that takes a long time. there is no indication of this in the mypc admin interface, of course--as far as anyone can tell by looking the whole thing is done nearly instantly. the server managed to catch up after like seven and a half hours, during which patrons were either kicked off our pcs after ten minutes or given infinite time

an embarrassing day all around but also my clams are a little steamed. i guess mypc has no ability to like, queue bulk changes in a way that it can handle gracefully, or to indicate how long the changes we're making actually take to process. seems like that would be kind of important given what happens if you overload the apple ii it apparently runs on

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Jeoh posted:

SAFe is the biggest waste of time imaginable, it takes all the things bad about scrum and makes them even worse.

It’s so obnoxious. I just ignore all of the PI bullshit and only hop in to a call to talk over a story if my input is needed. Being the identity architect rules, it’s so niche of an area that I’m rarely needed for anything and I just do whatever the gently caress I want.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ha, architects! We don't have any of those, because they might defy the divine strategic wisdom laid out by the people managers (why are people managers doing strategy rather than product mangers?). We've taken SAFe, thrown at all the parts that might possibly be useful, and just left ourselves with endless meetings and rituals, and endlessly shoveling money into the "SAFe training" furnace.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Safe is dumb garbage for idiots, I am perpetually amused by companies thinking they can just slap agile or whatever on their org and it makes a difference. Would be way better off just forming your own work management system that aligns with org values/culture and it probably is way less time consuming then fighting your own culture every step of the way

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Agrikk posted:

Not pissing me off:

Working late tonight to do a last minute load test to prep [customer] infrastructure for a commercial that’ll be running during the Super Bowl this Sunday. Everything is going swimmingly and the environment is handling anything thrown at it no sweat.

Then all of a sudden 503 errors start flying and I get a page that a critical case has been opened. I let the support engineer take it but I’m watching the situation in case it needs an escalation. The case has been opened by a [customer] user who is notoriously lovely to support engineers, demanding results while not providing information, being truculent on support bridges, etc.

The transcript of the case looks something like this:

[Username]: we are experiencing 503 errors during our load test. AWS has broken something, please revert.

CSE: thank you for contacting us. Please provide the RDS instance I’d.

[Username]: here you go.

CSE: I see that the instance rebooted at [timestamp when 503 error appeared].

CSE: it looks like the instance rebooted after the database was scaled up to a larger instance size. Refer to [document1] and [document2] for more information about resizing RDS instances.

[Username]: that’s stupid! Why did AWS resize the instance!

CSE: here are the logs from the RDS instance from that period:

Weirdly [Username] has not responded to the ticket or reached out to me to escalate the issue.

Reminds me a lot like when TJX would do to us(I don't work there anymore) network security support people by forcing the Account Managers to schedule 4 hours 'maintenances' for load testing. We'd would do a bunch of show commands on the network devices, which were always under 10% util, while the Oracle team was oblivious. The customer ramped up some cloud load test service and would freak out, on the network security where the network devices were just shrugging, when the databases couldn't handle the load. Those DB's, which were VM's, were never adequately sized...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Weedle posted:

an embarrassing day all around but also my clams are a little steamed. i guess mypc has no ability to like, queue bulk changes in a way that it can handle gracefully, or to indicate how long the changes we're making actually take to process. seems like that would be kind of important given what happens if you overload the apple ii it apparently runs on
That seems like the kind of thing that should be documented for the people actually making the changes so I guess you get to write it up and stick it in there to prevent problems later :shrug:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I have to remind myself this is the year of me not giving a poo poo.

My boss is freaking out because we have an AWS account with 1000+ ec2 instances, mostly part of auto-scaling groups, that are generating a large amount of logs in Cloudtrail and information and low SecurityHub findings.

Yeah no loving poo poo! Theres 1000+ instances that get spun up/down in a day. Having 30,000 logs around that isnt exactly surprising, nor is that an alarming amount once you actually take a cursory look at the logs. SecurityHub is griping because they're using out of date AMIs that generate a bunch of inspector findings. Take that x1000 a day and there you go.

So instead of helping me help that team update their AMI, I'm dealing with filtering out logs.

What the gently caress. Whatever not my money, not my account, just do whats asked quickly then go play MLB the Show on my playstation the rest of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

That seems like the kind of thing that should be documented for the people actually making the changes so I guess you get to write it up and stick it in there to prevent problems later :shrug:

yeah it was a learning experience for sure. it honestly didn’t occur to any of us that we needed to loop in a guy from offsite to rename some computers. you live and learn i guess