Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They repair them for free I don't think you can legally force them to make them better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Switch 2 will be a switch but it's gimmick will be instead of joycons it'll be our first foray into a totally tactile control system. Nintendo will call them Gooshers and they will be disorienting to look at but will feel amazing in your hands, but also embarrassed.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

American McGay posted:

They repair them for free I don't think you can legally force them to make them better.

Not pro controllers tho, which suffer from the same issue but you're poo poo out of luck. They wanted to charge me more than it cost to buy a new controller to fix my old one. It's a racket

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

External Organs posted:

Switch 2 will be a switch but it's gimmick will be instead of joycons it'll be our first foray into a totally tactile control system. Nintendo will call them Gooshers and they will be disorienting to look at but will feel amazing in your hands, but also embarrassed.

Nintendo Switch 2: My gooshers are floshing

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I couldn't resist and made the mistake of downloading the theater rhythm demo

This game is going to own so hard, I'm already hooked a few songs in. Plus the sheer amount of polish in the package has me really impressed! The menus are so slick, the list of games is gigantic including a bunch of spin-offs and mobile only games, and that DLC is going to kick rear end too

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

dunno if youve noticed or not but literally every device with an analog stick has drift issues and none of the companies thaht sell controllers actually make the sticks themselves

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
UK also does free joycon fixes, as a heads up to anyone who needs to know. they're very quiet about it but I've never paid.

timing my next repair for when ishin comes out as my switch will probably not see any use

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I drifted the poo poo out of my first 360 controller from playing Oblivion. Doing the duck behind a peasant and palm spin the stick to grind Stealth trick.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I had constant drift issues with ps4 controllers

most of my 360 controllers failed in other ways before they drifted, usually a button or trigger losing the bounce

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Alan_Shore posted:

The first line is a loving trip:

An American judge has dismissed a lawsuit filed against Nintendo for its Joy-Con drift issues, saying the case cannot proceed because the owners agreed to Nintendo's End User License Agreement (EULA) that "disallows lawsuits".

America.txt

Pretty sure the EU would smack that poo poo down hard. Let's hope!

yeah this sucks and all, but I appreciate when the law works on playground logic

I can't imagine the free joycon repairs will last much longer as the lawsuits are resolved. The 360 red ring controversy was handled by an official extended warranty, while the joycon thing is just "we'll no longer ask you for proof of purchase" and easier to cancel suddenly. If you've been dragging your feet on sending your stuff in it can't hurt to just do it already

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I gotta be honest even if the lawsuit had gone thru, its not like "made a bad controller" is actually illegal

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
not until they get Gamer Court up and running anyway

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

my dualsense controller started drifting faster than any controller i've ever owned tbqh

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Man, how are you guys treating your controllers, never had drift in my entire life until I owned a pair of joy cons. Oh and N64 floppy joystick of course. I also had the DS lite hinge defect but that's not necessarily a stick issue

Meanwhile, one of my friends always kept getting busted controllers. I saw the way he played smash bros, abusing the gently caress outta that hardware.

Never had a Sony controller go bad, or most first parties Nintendo controllers until now. I did have some sketchy third party stuff and mad cats controllers etc but we always got those with the assumption that they were going to be trash

mandatory lesbian posted:

I gotta be honest even if the lawsuit had gone thru, its not like "made a bad controller" is actually illegal

Couldn't some consumer law or another kick in if it is demonstrated that a company knew about a product defect and continue to sell said defective product? As you all may know IANAL

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 5, 2023

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Augus posted:

my dualsense controller started drifting faster than any controller i've ever owned tbqh

My second dual sense was dead out of the box. (Battery was borked.) It was such a headache trying to get Sony to get to repair the drat thing, I just decided to upgrade the battery on my own, instead.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

KingSlime posted:

Man, how are you guys treating your controllers, never had drift in my entire life until I owned a pair of joy cons. Oh and N64 floppy joystick of course. I also had the DS lite hinge defect but that's not necessarily a stick issue

Meanwhile, one of my friends always kept getting busted controllers. I saw the way he played smash bros, abusing the gently caress outta that hardware.

Never had a Sony controller go bad, or most first parties Nintendo controllers until now. I did have some sketchy third party stuff and mad cats controllers etc but we always got those with the assumption that they were going to be trash

Couldn't some consumer law or another kick in if it is demonstrated that a company knew about a product defect and continue to sell said defective product? As you all may know IANAL

its 100% complete luck op

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

MarcusSA posted:

Nvidia has invested heavily into the automotive industry with its new chips (which the switch chip was also used in). The switch sales are a drop in the bucket for them.

The only vehicle to sell a hundred million units was the Honda cub

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah I get that some hardware failure is normal but I do think joy cons are failing at a whole new level/ higher rate than other modern controllers. Gives me red ring of death vibes

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nvidia has contracts for 30 different car manufacturers.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

UK also does free joycon fixes, as a heads up to anyone who needs to know. they're very quiet about it but I've never paid.

timing my next repair for when ishin comes out as my switch will probably not see any use

Do you go through the website to book the repair? Me and my fiancee have both tried and it doesn't seem to work properly, get to a certain point in filling out the form and it doesn't let you fill further

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
its not nearly as severe as RROD but it may be just as pervasive. at least with the joy cons you can easily fix the sticks yourself, RROD and the PS3 YLOD means you console is hosed completely

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Do you go through the website to book the repair? Me and my fiancee have both tried and it doesn't seem to work properly, get to a certain point in filling out the form and it doesn't let you fill further

oh weird, yeah I've done it 3 times at this point and it's worked fine via the website

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

mandatory lesbian posted:

It's not criminally illegal, but there are many potential consumer protections that can be broken if you make bad things, and those can land you in court. The dismissal was just for one lawsuit, there are still at least 3 others in America alone

What's happening with the joycons is very similar what happened with the RROD (and disk scratching, also 360) from a legal perspective. They aren't saying hardware failures should never happen, but rather that the failures are either premature or at a rate significantly higher than is reasonable or expected. The main threat of the lawsuit is if they can find evidence that it was made badly with intent, such as to trigger sales of new products to replace the defective, make money via expensive repairs, false advertising, etc.

the EU is a whole other beast, and there it nearly is illegal to make things poorly. no one is going to jail, but they don't mess around with the fines

I've had plenty of controllers break on me, loose sticks and mushy buttons, but never while the console has been current, and certainly not multiple times, as I've had to do with my poor joycons

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
even if the sticks never drift, the joycon would still be overpriced garbage. Buy any other alternative.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Can't wait for Gooshers to end joycon chat forever

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Nintendo announces program to repair any Nintendo Gooshers™ afflicted by the widely reported "schlifting" issue

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

That judge is clearly not a gamer. Where are the gamer judges?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ErrEff posted:

That judge is clearly not a gamer. Where are the gamer judges?

Gamers are too intelligent to become judges

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

It's going to suck when I'm finished with engage because I'm going to want to play more fire emblem but I know 3h just won't come close to it. I could replay awakening. But it just won't be the same

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
People being like “what are you doing to your controllers to make them drift??” are the same vibes as during the 360 RROD era, when they would obnoxiously say you must be running your 360 in a completely closed box with no ventilation. No, it it couldn’t possibly be that there’s a high rate of defect and you were one of the lucky ones.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Joycons are p bad, I ad to send them to get repaired twice. It's not on the level of "this fucks everything up" like RROD but they aren't anything to write home about.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

a.lo posted:

It's going to suck when I'm finished with engage because I'm going to want to play more fire emblem but I know 3h just won't come close to it. I could replay awakening. But it just won't be the same

Have you played the Fire Emblems that didn't get officially translated, like Thracia 776 or Geneology? They have decent fan translations by now. Definitely different in tone and gameplay, but pretty good. I will say that the usual maps in there are about as chaotic as Sigurd's and Leif's paralogues made them look.

There's also some fan games usually based on the GBA games. I know that some goons made one called Awful Emblem while the highest-praised FE fan game I've heard of is called Vision Quest. Regardless, there's a lot of Fire Emblem out there besides going back to Three Houses less-interesting gameplay if that's what you don't like about it.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

I'd have nice things to say about the free repair service if the joycons they sent back still had NFC reading for all my god drat amiibo, but somehow that's just... Missing now. :smith:

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I have two sets of joycons, one that came with my launch era Switch and a pair that came bundled with Super Mario Party a couple of years later. The ones that came with the Switch have never had an issue, but the newer ones have issues constantly despite getting less use. It’s a coin toss if any given pair is going to give out faster than another, the quality control on these things is terrible.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

LuckyCat posted:

People being like “what are you doing to your controllers to make them drift??” are the same vibes as during the 360 RROD era, when they would obnoxiously say you must be running your 360 in a completely closed box with no ventilation. No, it it couldn’t possibly be that there’s a high rate of defect and you were one of the lucky ones.
Works on my machine. :slick:

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

American McGay posted:

It’s already been confirmed by worms butthole guy’s sources. Announced on March 28th. Launching this holiday. They looked at the Steam Deck and said he how can we copy that roaring success of 1 million consoles sold in a year and a half.

Still standing by it. I heard it again in fact the other day.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Perma worms butthole guy if he's wrong but make him a mod if he's right

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I don't care one way or the other about a potential Switch 2 announcement, but I find it funny to think that he namesearched "Worms Butthole Guy" in order to find that post and refute it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

WarpDogs posted:

I've had plenty of controllers break on me, loose sticks and mushy buttons, but never while the console has been current, and certainly not multiple times, as I've had to do with my poor joycons

My brother's and I have had at least one first-party controller break/develop drift with every console generation going back to the NES while they were current/still being made except for the N64, PlayStation 1/DS1, and Cube controllers:

NES (2), SNES (1): right on the dpad permanently active
PS2 (2), Xbox (1), Xbox 360 (2), PS4 (2), Nintendo Switch (both joycons): stick drift

Considering how much use my Switch Pro controller gets, I'm surprised it hasn't developed any problems yet.

LuckyCat posted:

Not everyone knows about the Capacitor Plague, or the first generation of lead-free solders :smith:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Mister Facetious posted:

My brother's and I have had at least one first-party controller break/develop drift with every console generation going back to the NES while they were current/still being made except for the N64, PlayStation 1/DS1, and Cube controllers:

NES (2), SNES (1): right on the dpad permanently active
PS2 (2), Xbox (1), Xbox 360 (2), PS4 (2), Nintendo Switch (both joycons): stick drift

Considering how much use my Switch Pro controller gets, I'm surprised it hasn't developed any problems yet.

Not everyone knows about the Capacitor Plague, or the first generation of lead-free solders :smith:

i had a bad capacitor nuke my power supply and basically fry everything on my computer back when that was an issue